Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Elsa posted:

you two done 69ing or

I'm sorry the white noise quotient wasn't high enough for you and you accidentally overheard an adult conversation that didn't involve drawing naked anime tweens. We'll strive to accommodate your autism in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'm sorry the white noise quotient wasn't high enough for you and you accidentally overheard an adult conversation that didn't involve drawing naked anime tweens. We'll strive to accommodate your autism in the future.

post proof, guy

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
In positive news the current iteration of SV under Kendarr is in a good place and a really fun squad to be in. :)

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

Endie posted:

Much as I love him, Suas didn't really help that with some of the stuff he did.

You mean to tell me Mr. gently caress You You're Primary wasn't always the easiest person to get along with?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV14pr6FWxQ

Color me shocked.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

Elsa posted:

post proof, guy

He can't, because we will never condone or accommodate your ephebophilia, whether or not it's your 'artistic inspiration'.

Van Gogh you ain't, son.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Endie posted:

Largely true of its later existence but it was actually originally a bit different (my first job as a director was reforming the squads, which were dead as eve-in-space things in 2010). P9 and some friends already had a channel that they called Space Violence, and they wanted to turn this informal bunch of friends who did stuff together into a squad with a subforum and jabber channel and so on. It was when P9 and others kinda burned out that they revitalised the squad by handing a lot of it over to tolon.

Interestingly, there was a degree of pressure from the start not to let SV get one of the first squad "franchises" since their larger social group in their original channel included non-goons, including some from the recently-departed dramabomb which was elitistops. So they never really existed in complete comfort alongside the main body of the alliance, and whether it was the initial version or the suas one, there was caution or sometimes disdain from some quarters. Much as I love him, Suas didn't really help that with some of the stuff he did.

My fault partially. P9 tried to foist SV off on me but I was busy with Topgoon. I had run into tolon and helped him fight off someone tackling his dread and we discussed things, so I got him and P9 talking in the same room and wandered off. Its all the funnier because he and I got into a jabber war like 3 months later about him treating his squad as a money farm. Something similar happened with treph and topgoon before I had a good shouting match at him that involved the words "You as a leader are here to serve them, not the other way around."

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Baculus posted:

He can't, because we will never condone or accommodate your ephebophilia, whether or not it's your 'artistic inspiration'.

Van Gogh you ain't, son.

Van little girl

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
"Get into the Van" Gogh

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013
this is kind of late, but if sigs and stuff really were relying on alliance SRP and such to do smaller gang stuff, wouldn't it just be smart to make sigs into corps so their members can get taxed ratting and such, which eventually benefits them? plus with that moon auction they can be making a decent amount

this probably was already considered long ago, but im just curious

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Endie posted:

"Get into the Van" Gogh

Nailed it.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
Hey so if you say BOS was kicked over leaking CD chats are you talking about them leaking things I had said in confidence to Sion about a certain mittens annointed "star fc" in my alliance back to said FC in a (successful) attempt to cause drama and ultimately poach him? Because if so it'd been a good idea to let us know about it as this was the second time the exact same thing happened and it kind of felt like no one really cared too much about fixing that. Or were they even leakier than that :toot:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Divine Blob posted:

this is kind of late, but if sigs and stuff really were relying on alliance SRP and such to do smaller gang stuff, wouldn't it just be smart to make sigs into corps so their members can get taxed ratting and such, which eventually benefits them? plus with that moon auction they can be making a decent amount

When TG and SV first rebooted there was no SRP at all. poo poo was bout the love of the game. Peacetime literally landed on both groups mid deployment and it was great. We also all had altcorps for wallet purposes.

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

When TG and SV first rebooted there was no SRP at all. poo poo was bout the love of the game. Peacetime literally landed on both groups mid deployment and it was great. We also all had altcorps for wallet purposes.

TG was top goon right? i heard that was a lot of fun too

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Divine Blob posted:

If I understand you correctly then this would have cannibalised the member corps, especially the ones with active and valuable members. Even more so, allies would have discouraged members from joining squads after some started to allow that. Also, after elitistops there was a huge caution about making schisms easier: something which made the life of wormhole groups from GSF in particular much harder.

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013

Endie posted:

If I understand you correctly then this would have cannibalised the member corps, especially the ones with active and valuable members. Even more so, allies would have discouraged members from joining squads after some started to allow that. Also, after elitistops there was a huge caution about making schisms easier: something which made the life of wormhole groups from GSF in particular much harder.

yeah you're absolutely right about the cannibalism i didnt think about that

but at the same time, that wouldn't be that bad would it? i mean you could have like a karmafleet like group, where it teaches you and stuff, then you can move into the sig (and corp) which is the direction you want to take I suppose? And can't alliances just tax the corps so it'll have a pretty hefty wallet

Divine Blob fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 14, 2016

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Divine Blob posted:

Money isn't the main issue with squads or sigs. You need a few hundred mil, maybe 2b a month max for fuel, director mistakes and special person reimbursement but that's it. There's more than enough independently wealthy people in gsf who just want to pvp. They can carry a squad easily if you don't have a repulsive personality.

dreamin' posted:

Hey so if you say BOS was kicked over leaking CD chats are you talking about them leaking things I had said in confidence to Sion about a certain mittens annointed "star fc" in my alliance back to said FC in a (successful) attempt to cause drama and ultimately poach him? Because if so it'd been a good idea to let us know about it as this was the second time the exact same thing happened and it kind of felt like no one really cared too much about fixing that. Or were they even leakier than that :toot:

I too miss shockfist

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

AAPsel posted:

Money isn't the main issue with squads or sigs. You need a few hundred mil, maybe 2b a month max for fuel, director mistakes and special person reimbursement but that's it. There's more than enough independently wealthy people in gsf who just want to pvp. They can carry a squad easily if you don't have a repulsive personality.

For about three months we got a 10b stipend to play with and it helped a lot. It allowed me to do things like ship handouts and keep a newbie frig cache. I also shored up reimbursement on logical pimp fits and I could reimburse extra for ships I wanted to see flown.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Divine Blob posted:

yeah you're absolutely right about the cannibalism i didnt think about that

but at the same time, that wouldn't be that bad would it? i mean you could have like a karmafleet like group, where it teaches you and stuff, then you can move into the sig (and corp) which is the direction you want to take I suppose? And can't alliances just tax the corps so it'll have a pretty hefty wallet

The problem is that prying ratting taxes out of a deployed squad is a null sum game because most of us enjoyed being out in the wildlands so gently caress ratting.

For two years my main income was scamming and picking faction loot off dead bodies.

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

The problem is that prying ratting taxes out of a deployed squad is a null sum game because most of us enjoyed being out in the wildlands so gently caress ratting.

For two years my main income was scamming and picking faction loot off dead bodies.

i think im out of dumb questions for the day

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rhymenoserous posted:

yeah, ratting is pretty garbage; it demands your full attention

that's why i've always preferred production or reactions for personal income; they only demand your attention haltingly, and can be done with a skeleton crew of alts if needed

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
dude van gogh was a post-impressionist. man y'all are ignant

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice
so I think we should switch gears for fun now that we've heard from all of the hand-wringing naysayers about what is wrong with GSF. Who wants to start on a conversation on what is currently good with them? I can start - well me. I'm there, and I'm awesome. Now you go.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

AAPsel posted:

I too miss shockfist

I have to say that until lakz leaked those conversations and shock fist was naive enough to tell me about it I didn't even realize that every informal conversation ever I had with Sion* was logged and then shared between the i don't know how many hundred staff GSF has with access to that poo poo. Or maybe it's just selective conversations that can be used to good poaching use that get shared to some sucker dumb enough to use them and fall on their sword afterwards :twisted:

I mean in the end it's sad the whole point of the conversation was that he is a great guy in person and a good FC because he was actually willing to listen and learn if you spent enough effort teaching but that he also suffered from the slightly brittle FC ego of a dude just out of highschool becoming space famous and therefore needs careful managing or is prone to rash and/or bad decisions so ofc lakz selectively leaked the last part mostly and promptly both GSF and EXE were minus one FC vOv

*Edit: I did actually assume that conversations with our officially assigned diplomats would be logged and shared, but was not aware the same went for other informal chats with Sion and whoever else I might have been talking to. I'd like to file a freedom of information request for all chatlogs involving myself please

Spice World War II fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 14, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

I had run into tolon and helped him fight off someone tackling his dread and we discussed things, so I got him and P9 talking in the same room and wandered off. Its all the funnier because he and I got into a jabber war like 3 months later about him treating his squad as a money farm

Isn't this what he did with specops waaaay back in the day too? :sun:

Edit: yeah back in my day CD logged most relevant stuff in their subforum. They and all directors could see it if they wanted so like 30 people.

Edit edit: and by this I mean official diplomats yeah.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 14, 2016

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the 1-s outpost name + description is pretty good imo

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

naked anime tweens

:stonk:

i missed this thread :unsmith:

get poo poo on dunfunny poster

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

who is P9

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice
space dad

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice
...another good thing about gsf 2016!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Daco Vato posted:

so I think we should switch gears for fun now that we've heard from all of the hand-wringing naysayers about what is wrong with GSF. Who wants to start on a conversation on what is currently good with them? I can start - well me. I'm there, and I'm awesome. Now you go.

No. Your presence is one of the negatives. I'd trade you in for a half interested hepDD or Konno Yoshiho any day of the week

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice
you seem mad. It is as if the vagrant no longer smiles down upon paco. Is this true?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Divine Blob posted:

relying on alliance SRP and such to do smaller gang stuff

SRP is nice but hardly necessary for a succesful sig. A succesful sig needs 3 things: an active FC that people like to fly with, logistics people to have pos, ships, modules, fuel and things in the right places and a smaller circle of leadership type dudes to handle little things like scouting, cynos, inter-squad squabbles and inward and outwards diplomacy

The last of which is so your star FC doesnt burn out doing non-FC things

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

For about three months we got a 10b stipend to play with and it helped a lot. It allowed me to do things like ship handouts and keep a newbie frig cache. I also shored up reimbursement on logical pimp fits and I could reimburse extra for ships I wanted to see flown.

ugh yeah wait
I forgot about the 70b srp fund we got donated by members

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Orange Red Bull posted:

SRP is nice but hardly necessary for a succesful sig. A succesful sig needs 3 things: an active FC that people like to fly with, logistics people to have pos, ships, modules, fuel and things in the right places and a smaller circle of leadership type dudes to handle little things like scouting, cynos, inter-squad squabbles and inward and outwards diplomacy

You really need 2-3 FC types, an adult handy to wrangle them and a small but wmpowered team to handle the menial crap.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

dreamin' posted:

try not to talk poo poo about people behind their back and you might not wind up losing them to other alliances lol

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

VideoGames posted:

This is a good topic line!

What other good deeds have people done in EVE?

I have been spoken to a couple of times about my character Biography. People say they enjoy reading it. I class that as the good deed!

Last week I went round a few out of the way stations with good agents and nothing for sale , and stocked them with mission specific ammo at market average prices.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Orange Red Bull posted:

EG basically crumbled when Vee stopped logging in, so you really want to have more than one FC that people fly with (sorry Mark and whoever else tried to get goons to undock).

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

try not to talk poo poo about people behind their back and you might not wind up losing them to other alliances lol

be like me and talk poo poo to faces

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Last week I went round a few out of the way stations with good agents and nothing for sale , and stocked them with mission specific ammo at market average goonfucking prices.

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
What I find particularly weird is that so many of these posts tend to blame Sion for the TMC direction of Goonswarm, the concentration of power into CD to make decisions about the coalition, or deciding to eject BOS and keep hole violence based on the personalities involved.

I don't think Sion is anywhere nears as an important factor in these decisions. In the first instance, these were the policies put forward by The Mittani and the people who finance TMC, such as Steve and two other board members. They joke about TMC masters, but they are a real thing. And the income of goonswarm directly finances content generation such as article and streamers, like I think it was 250 mil an article, which is like $3-4 direct plex trade in. So anything that threatens the income of Goonswarm directly threatens TMC, plus they need the captive audience to sell the eyeballs, such as the Planetside, World of Warships, and DayZ deals that provided TMC with capital.

The second instance, it is people not wanting to do the work, so you give it to someone in the group that does want to do the work. Most of Illum is based on the idea of busting your rear end to get into Illum, and then coasting till you are booted. Talking with a very old school goon yesterday and we were going over who was till in Illum, and there were not a lot of old school people who hadn't been purged. I think Endie's accounting of how ownership of CD got traded repeated sounds accurate, as that is how Illum works. I think that Sion would do what he was asked to do, as long as he had the time and inclination. Now that he's running operations of TMC, I think that TMC's interests and CD's interests more closely relate.

And the booting of BOS and keeping Hole Squad is a direct reflection of the things that each provided. BOS, and indirectly SV, did their own thing, it was a cult of personality to suas. Which doesn't really help the cult of personality of The Mittani, but they also wouldn't help the alliance do the painful things that need to get done. If you told The Adj to go sit on some crap alliance and make their life poo poo, they did a great job of that, but SV didn't really do that well. Then you take Hole Squad, run by Dod Kalm, who is a very chill dude, and takes direction well. He also hangs out with The Mittani regularly, and personal relationships with the CEO of a major coalition is a huge boost, no matter how useful you are. See also: Blawrf, Endie, DJ. And Dod being helpful to The Mittani in real life by going clubbing with him is a good reason to keep him involved in the coalition. So I don't think Sion was as involved in these decisions as people make out, and more doing the will of The Mittani.

Eve Online attracts transactional personalities. You see this heavily in Eve leadership. And if someone does 'work' for a group for multiple years, I think they have the right to voice their displeasure with the new direction of that group. Even if they are no longer helping you directly.

• Locked thread