Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Case 5, investigation 1: I can't believe that the scroll of Misty Fey from 3-5 appears randomly in the doctor's office. I really appreciate the continuity, and everyone wondering why it smells like gravy is also great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

E: Actual question, what's the fan favorite character of this game? I can't get enough of Datz. He's actually the best.

Yeah, he's the best. Though I did rather enjoy Uendo and Armie. Roger was pretty great too. Honestly though? I really find it hard to pick a character that I liked the most.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

E: Actual question, what's the fan favorite character of this game? I can't get enough of Datz. He's actually the best.

I liked Datz at first, but I got a little tired of him as the game went on. My favourite minor character is probably Armie, overall it's hard to say.

E: What the gently caress how did I forget Rayfa, it's Rayfa.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 14, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper posted:

Rayfa is the sweetest thing in the world and they should kick Trucy out and adopt her instead imho

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

My favourites are definitely Rayfa and Datz. The way they make Datz being a massive troll the way insight with the minister is misinterpreted just had me losing my poo poo laughing

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Honestly, SoJ might have the strongest overall cast of any AA game. I think I really liked every witness outside of just Geiru. Everyone else was really entertaining or interesting or funny, and I would legitimately not be upset if any of them showed up again in future games. And I don't think I can say that about any other game in the series.

Seriously though, SoJ was basically exactly what I wanted it to be. I think I mentioned in the old thread a couple of times that I hoped the game would be used to push Phoenix out of the spotlight and give Athena and Apollo a more central protagonist role. Though I was pretty sure it was never going to happen, but then that's basically what occurred. This is Apollo's game and it was wonderful. It somehow focuses on a character who's arc was completely mishandled in his debut, and then a side-plot (albeit a surprisingly compelling and well-done side-plot) in the next game, and pulls it all together and gives it a really satisfactory conclusion. Dude's backstory is weird and over-complicated but I really enjoyed everything they did with it and was invested the entire time. He might be my favourite AA character now.

The game also basically proved to me that Phoenix and other characters from the original series can probably just head out of the spotlight now, like I enjoyed what Phoenix and Maya did this game but they're done. Their arcs are completed and they've basically become the best characters they can be. They are exactly where they should be when the series ends. I don't want them to disappear or anything, but they don't need to get much more focus, and I think the series kinda understands that now.

It's still got some problems though. Like, the new prosecutor is an important part of every AA game but Nahyuta is really underwhelming. Especially around all the other fantastic characters introduced this game. He doesn't change or show more character until case 5, from 2-4 he's basically the exact same dude. And that dude is just kinda a huge rear end in a top hat. Speaking of sorta antagonistic figures though, Rayfa on the other hand is really cool. Gets a well done arc throughout the game and clearly changes over each case. Also she's funny and entertaining. She's the best and I hope she shows up again in the future. Her being queen might make that difficult, but Nahyuta's the regent so maybe she can take some time off to go to the states and meet with the WAA crew. Investigate with Athena or hang with Trucy or something. I'd like it to happen.

Anyway, it's a great game. I can't wait for AA7: Athena Cykes - Ace Attorney. Because she's basically the protagonist with the most area for development and stuff now. And it means Blackquill will show up more and he's the best prosecutor so it's a win-win. Though, the last two games have really sold me on the whole multiple playable characters thing so I hope they keep that up as well.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Terper posted:

Rayfa is the sweetest thing in the world and they should kick Trucy out and adopt her instead imho

This but don't kick out Trucy because she is also sweet and cool and good. I bet they would be good sisters, who would get along and hang out.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I feel like I missed something with Rayfa. She just didn't really click with me at all. (Final Case Spoilers) I mean I felt awful for her when she passed out and was just crumbling on the final trial but... she was kind of a jerkass the entire game and she didn't really do or say anything too funny outside the gag of "Nayna what's this thing... ah yes I knew all along!"

Also final case spoilers when I was naming Nayna as a culprit am I the only one imagining her doing her zoom across the screen animation but with a knife? Just the mental image of her quickly sliding in - shank - sliding out was way too funny to me.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I feel like I missed something with Rayfa. She just didn't really click with me at all.

I was going to post an image of her smiling animation but I couldn't find it online. The AA wiki has a gallery for Bonny, but not one of the game's main characters. :psyduck:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm just about to start Case 3 Trial Day 2. Enjoying it so far.

Some big twists here. A legit Guilt verdict was surprising, though I'm guessing it will be undone by the end of the trial today. Also holy poo poo Apollo's step-father.

Also Rayfa owns and is the most adorable thing.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
There's a subbed version of the DLC case preview trailer.

It does show some stuff from the DLC case so I guess don't watch if you want to go in blind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQkGQpxvXqQ

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It did, she wrote a entire blogpost on it and frequently brings it up if asked.

Really though it's a can of worms that should probably be shoved in the corner.

Datz owns for sure but my favorite is definitely Uendo. I mean, how could you not love FOUR characters for the price of one? It's brilliant. Also I'm glad that Apollo definitively got the spotlight in this game.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I feel like I missed something with Rayfa. She just didn't really click with me at all. (Final Case Spoilers) I mean I felt awful for her when she passed out and was just crumbling on the final trial but... she was kind of a jerkass the entire game and she didn't really do or say anything too funny outside the gag of "Nayna what's this thing... ah yes I knew all along!"

Also final case spoilers when I was naming Nayna as a culprit am I the only one imagining her doing her zoom across the screen animation but with a knife? Just the mental image of her quickly sliding in - shank - sliding out was way too funny to me.
Nobody can do smug the way Rayfa can

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It's 3 in the morning and this case still isn't over :stare:

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

So I just finished the whole game and wow, that was a wild ride.

Thoughts while the credits roll:

I was kind of disappointed with the first two cases, since they were a bit more... simple than what the past few games were up to. Considering how ridiculously convoluted most of the murders in AAI2 and Dual Destinies had been, I guess that's not entirey a bad thing. The other three, though, really hit it out of the park. They had a bunch of twists that were surprising but now completely out of nowhere.

I feel that the whole Apollo and Phoenix thing would have been much more dramatic had they not revealed it coming in one of the trailers, but I was still extremely hype. I cannot sing enough praises for Case five as a whole, because it was really the Ace Attorney experience at it's finest. The whole sequence of Dhurke being reavealed as dead is probably one of the greatest moments in the series. The way it's just suddenly sprung on the player is incredible.

Rayfa is a lot more appealing than her initial introduction set her up to be.

I was going to complain about Phoenix still not talking to Apollo and Trucy about the whole mom thing, but apparently the writers are aware and saving it, so I guess I can't say much.

Game was fantastic.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

AA6 stands up to AA3, and the Apollo trilogy can now stand toe to toe with the original trilogy IMO

This might be the only AA game where I've liked every single character

If they decide the series ends here, it'll have wrapped up well. If not, it's time for Ace Athena: Thrilling Therapist

e: also the music was a big step up in this game from AA5, the Cornered theme is fantastic

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 14, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

5, day 2, trial

This queen is a real piece of poo poo. I am sure you will grow up "healthy" Rayfa if you want to, gently caress that queen turd.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Another excellent installment in the series which, other than maybe Layton vs Wright, has never failed to entertain. I'd rank this one pretty high, even if I couldn't quite get into case 5 as much as I would have liked to. Oh, and gently caress finger print dusting.

Quest For Glory II posted:

e: also the music was a big step up in this game from AA5, the Cornered theme is fantastic

These games always have fantastic music and some of the character themes for villains in this one are awesome, some of the best in the series. Biggest gripe is that I just can't distinguish the allegro cross examination theme from the regular one that well. Just doesn't seem as distinct for whatever reason.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The dusting definitely will go better in the inevitable iOS version, this game really sends the 3DS to its knees in terms of framerate

the queen's audience chamber especially!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The audience chamber is fine when it's empty... the issue is rendering twenty goddamn guard models. The same thing happens when a bunch slot in behind Ga'ran in court. Case 5 Day 2

My biggest gripe with the music is that Cross-Examination ~ Presto as a concept is still confined to Investigations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want to play Mystic Maya Fey: Ace Spirit Medium

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Irisize posted:

So I just finished the whole game and wow, that was a wild ride.

Thoughts while the credits roll:

I was kind of disappointed with the first two cases, since they were a bit more... simple than what the past few games were up to. Considering how ridiculously convoluted most of the murders in AAI2 and Dual Destinies had been, I guess that's not entirey a bad thing. The other three, though, really hit it out of the park. They had a bunch of twists that were surprising but now completely out of nowhere.

I feel that the whole Apollo and Phoenix thing would have been much more dramatic had they not revealed it coming in one of the trailers, but I was still extremely hype. I cannot sing enough praises for Case five as a whole, because it was really the Ace Attorney experience at it's finest. The whole sequence of Dhurke being reavealed as dead is probably one of the greatest moments in the series. The way it's just suddenly sprung on the player is incredible.

Rayfa is a lot more appealing than her initial introduction set her up to be.

I was going to complain about Phoenix still not talking to Apollo and Trucy about the whole mom thing, but apparently the writers are aware and saving it, so I guess I can't say much.

Game was fantastic.

Woah woah woah.

I can understand not being satisfied with case 1, since it's pretty much held up by Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin, but case 2 is legitimately awesome. As others have said it's a better finale to Apollo Justice than 4-4, with a kickass villain in whose scheme would have been flawless if not for Bonny's clumsiness. And I don't think we've had a remote killing like this before? Overall the case was fantastic, with a fantastically evil villain.

But aside from that minor gripe, yes I can agree with you that this game is fantastic.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Quest For Glory II posted:

The dusting definitely will go better in the inevitable iOS version, this game really sends the 3DS to its knees in terms of framerate

the queen's audience chamber especially!

Yeah, the interactive 3d environments were really hard to control because of this. In Episode 5, rotating the suit case took forever because it would just jump about, and generally be really finicky. Looking for blood traces around in the chair also took me forever because I'm fairly sure it was just not registering or something. I love the idea, but it's just really frustrating to do.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

And More posted:

Yeah, the interactive 3d environments were really hard to control because of this. In Episode 5, rotating the suit case took forever because it would just jump about, and generally be really finicky. Looking for blood traces around in the chair also took me forever because I'm fairly sure it was just not registering or something. I love the idea, but it's just really frustrating to do.

(case 5 spoilers)

What, you mean the chair in the tomb? Because the camera moves with the cursor I found that real easy.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Zaa Boogie posted:

(case 5 spoilers)

What, you mean the chair in the tomb? Because the camera moves with the cursor I found that real easy.

Yeah, the camera moves decently, but there was some serious lag going on, and it made the luminol test freak out.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
pretty much case 3 spoilers: Apollo's backstory getting more and more convoluted with every game he appears in frankly is loving dope and owns, as does every facet of it, like his cool af dad Dhurke. That's my hot Ace Attorney take

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Well Case 4 is certainly, uh, a thing that happens. It kinda feels like (Case 4 Spoilers) someone tapped them on the shoulder and reminded the devs Simon needed his sequel cameo, so they wrote a random case he's pretty much the best part of. I think it kind of hurts Athena as a lawyer, though, because almost every single big breakthrough is

"blackquill help me nahyuta is scary"
"OKAY CYKES-DONO *SMASHES PODIUM*"

Speaking of that, Nahyuta is at peak petty rear end in a top hat during that case. Really? You're trying to incite the GALLERY?

I was okay with it because Blackquill's cool and funny, and he can carry it, but the whole case doesn't feel that strong as a whole. Geiru is a pretty lame villain (Except for her balloon sword) and it just feels like it lacks the best part of any AA case, which is the big "HOLY poo poo" twist that makes everything click. Also the game's understanding of Dissociative Identity Disorder is on par with Metal Gear Solid's understanding of genetics ("I GOT ALL THE RECESSIVE GENES"), but it's Ace Attorney so that doesn't really matter, "believability" isn't really the most important thing.

Apparently Case 5 is amazing though, so I'm looking forward to it.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

LordHippoman posted:

Case 4 Speaking of that, Nahyuta is at peak petty rear end in a top hat during that case. Really? You're trying to incite the GALLERY?

In retrospect, he's been doing that the entire time, though. It's just less noticeable in 2 and 3 because Robert Downey jr. is already messing with the audience, and because, in Khura'in, everyone hates you from the get go. The guy's a real piece of poo poo.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Case 5 spoiler: drat it, Phoenix Apollo's leaving and you still didn't think to tell him about his half sister?

That is actually a gigantic change for the series though, he'll probably show up again in the next game for at least one case but drat if he wasn't the best part of the last two. I hope they can keep it up without him.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Just finished up.

Definitely among the better games in the series.

I don't think Nahyuta needed to be in the game as much as he was. He's just not that interesting. He certainly should have sat case 4 out, with how filler it is.

Datz is the MVP though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I missed most of what Nahyuta said in the end credits, anyone remember roughly what he said?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Case 2, Day 2/Trial 1 (probably nearing the end of it at this point): oh my god stop going on and on and on about this note that Trucy "signed" and let me prove that it's bullshit already. This is the easiest thing ever to prove is meaningless and irrelevant but nope, Polly and Athena just gonna sit there and let this happen and are even actively giving up. Oh and now the gallery is going on and on. Let's this stupid pointless segment end already! ...At least Betty and Bonny are awesome and twin-handedly saving the trial so far.

E; Apollo... thank you for objecting at last, but why are you talking about how the murder weapon might not be the sword????

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 14, 2016

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Case 5: the Kim Jong Un analogue is rather random :psyduck:

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Case 2 question/spoilers: Does anyone have pictures of each of the signs that Roger holds up? I noticed someone made an avatar for "Say something dumb" and I wanted to finally get an avatar, but didn't want to steal that one.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It's definitely clear from playing this game that the staff took some things away from AA vs. PL; among other things, (case 6-5) Ga'ran came off to me as them wanting take another crack at Darklaw, who had a really great design and animations...and then had absolutely no presence beyond that. Also that theme is sick, she made up for Nahyuta and how insufferably boring he was in spades.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I missed most of what Nahyuta said in the end credits, anyone remember roughly what he said?

He was essentially misunderstanding Rayfa being, for lack of a better word, tsundere about him being her big brother.

cloofish posted:

Datz owns for sure but my favorite is definitely Uendo. I mean, how could you not love FOUR characters for the price of one? It's brilliant. Also I'm glad that Apollo definitively got the spotlight in this game.

Uendo was one of my favorites too, and his Mood Matrix segment owned. (First Mood Matrix I think where you actually have to pick Anger as the emotion that's out of line.) Though Datz, the de Famme twins, Armie Buff, Roger Retinz, and Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin are some pretty strong runner-ups. (I think I actually liked every character in this game to a very high degree in some way or another, and it's making me have some difficulty in which case to replay from now that I'm finished with the game.)

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's definitely clear from playing this game that the staff took some things away from AA vs. PL; among other things, (case 6-5) Ga'ran came off to me as them wanting take another crack at Darklaw, who had a really great design and animations...and then had absolutely no presence beyond that. Also that theme is sick, she made up for Nahyuta and how insufferably boring he was in spades.

She owns. I never thought we'd have a straight-up Disney villain in Ace Attorney, but well here we are.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Well Case 4 is certainly, uh, a thing that happens. It kinda feels like (Case 4 Spoilers) someone tapped them on the shoulder and reminded the devs Simon needed his sequel cameo, so they wrote a random case he's pretty much the best part of. I think it kind of hurts Athena as a lawyer, though, because almost every single big breakthrough is

"blackquill help me nahyuta is scary"
"OKAY CYKES-DONO *SMASHES PODIUM*"

Speaking of that, Nahyuta is at peak petty rear end in a top hat during that case. Really? You're trying to incite the GALLERY?

I was okay with it because Blackquill's cool and funny, and he can carry it, but the whole case doesn't feel that strong as a whole. Geiru is a pretty lame villain (Except for her balloon sword) and it just feels like it lacks the best part of any AA case, which is the big "HOLY poo poo" twist that makes everything click. Also the game's understanding of Dissociative Identity Disorder is on par with Metal Gear Solid's understanding of genetics ("I GOT ALL THE RECESSIVE GENES"), but it's Ace Attorney so that doesn't really matter, "believability" isn't really the most important thing.

I just beat case 4 and this is 100% my thoughts as well, except I'd use stronger language like "it sucks rear end" and "I hated it all, except for Simon". Honestly I don't understand people calling it their favorite "filler" case at all.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

mabels big day posted:

I just beat case 4 and this is 100% my thoughts as well, except I'd use stronger language like "it sucks rear end" and "I hated it all, except for Simon". Honestly I don't understand people calling it their favorite "filler" case at all.

It might not be as good as the Orca classic, but (6-4)the characters were generally likeable, and crucially it didn't overstay its welcome. Not having to slog through an investigation phase immediately puts it pretty high up compared to most filler cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

6-4 did feel like the progression from cases 1 through 3 just hit a wall in a dumpster truck fire. At least Simon saves it somewhat, but it really should have just been a DLC case.