Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Olivil posted:

I was really looking forward to the DQ8 port on 3DS... Then I bought DQ8 on PS2, loose disc for $5, I don't really care about the box and I'm playing it in glorious HD via PCSX2 but I'm debating whether I should jump in or wait for the port.

It looks AMAZING in PCSX2 by the way.

I don't know about QOL improvements but there is no way in hell it will look anywhere near what it does with your current setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Playing in bed is even more immersive.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Olivil posted:

I was really looking forward to the DQ8 port on 3DS... Then I bought DQ8 on PS2, loose disc for $5, I don't really care about the box and I'm playing it in glorious HD via PCSX2 but I'm debating whether I should jump in or wait for the port.

It looks AMAZING in PCSX2 by the way.

Play the PS2 version, I don't recall hearing that the 3DS version has any major advantages over it.

SomeMathGuy fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 14, 2016

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Battles were made much faster in the 3DS version, weren't they?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Also instant alchemy pot from the start? I can't remember if thats real or if I imagined it. Either way just play the ps2 version its amazing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The 3DS version has new characters.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
I'm going to buy DQ7 at least to hint SE to bring DQ11 here! If I finish it and DQ8 is still far away I'll play the PS2 version. :)

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

After DQ7 you should get Dragon Quest Builders if you have a PS4.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In addition to the other improvements mentioned, the 3DS version of 8 also has visible enemies instead of random encounters.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Ethiser posted:

Done and done. 7 is due from Amazon on Friday and I already pre-payed 100% for Builders.

From what I gather, the remake of 8 is not going to be nearly as... drastic? as the remake of 7. I have the PS and PS2 version, respectively, of 7 and 8 and VII is, fair to say, hard to get into. VIII is pretty drat great as it is.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah DQVIII is one of the best JRPGs I ever played, the improvements they're making for the 3DS version are more incremental. Can't go wrong with either version probably

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I bought and pre-loaded my copy from the nintendo store. I'm sure i'll regret buying digital, but Oh well.

Srice posted:

In addition to the other improvements mentioned, the 3DS version of 8 also has visible enemies instead of random encounters.

:eyepop:

Nice. I've appreciated this feature in rpgs ever since Earthbound. At least thats the earliest game I can think of that did it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

First game I played that had that was chrono trigger. It's always a nice effect seeing monsters roam around

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Chrono Trigger had no random encounters. There are fixed spots in the area maps where battles are initiated, and you can skip some of them if you know where they are. It might have come out after Earthbound, though. I don't remember. Also, Zelda 2's overworld monsters were handled similarly.

efb lol

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 15, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Play the PS2 version, I don't recall hearing that the 3DS version has any major advantages over it.

It's an expanded port rather than a full remake like DQ7 but there's a decent assortment of new/tweaked stuff: new characters, new postgame content, visible encounters, slightly more generous xp rates and faster battles, instant alchemy, a photography system that ties into streetpass, a new orchestrated soundtrack, full voice acting, etc.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's an expanded port rather than a full remake like DQ7 but there's a decent assortment of new/tweaked stuff: new characters, new postgame content, visible encounters, slightly more generous xp rates and faster battles, instant alchemy, a photography system that ties into streetpass, a new orchestrated soundtrack, full voice acting, etc.

god i wish this was coming to PS4 or at least as a PS2 classic to PS4. It has to be one of my favourite games of all time. I'll be buying DQVII on 3DS but 8 is just such a good looking game it would be so good on a big screen. Wish I still had my PS2 :(

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Olivil posted:

I'm going to buy DQ7 at least to hint SE to bring DQ11 here! If I finish it and DQ8 is still far away I'll play the PS2 version. :)
That's why I bought DQH and demanded they brought over DQ7, obviously it worked.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh also I think theyre adding the ability to see what the different talent point trees actually do, which is probably the only thing I didn't enjoy about VIII.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

turdbucket posted:

Wish I still had my PS2 :(

I don't wish to be pedantic, but you could probably get a PS2 slim cheap as chips at your FLGS or online somewhere. PS2s are very reliable over time; mine is over ten years old now and still groovin'. Plus, we all know that the game library is massive.

Despite that, I bought a secondhand PS3 from the last model that was backwards compatible with both PS2 and PSX. I only have 80 GB of memory, but I guess that I was just enchanted by the idea of a system that's backwards compatible through two previous generations.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Oh nice. I guess I'll have to pick that up when it comes out after all.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Finished a replay of DQ6 the other day, and man that game is great. 7 has a lot to live up to as a follow up.

Those things are pushing me towards picking it up even though I could easily just replay the PS2 original. But a game as grand feeling as DQ8 on a handheld screen? I just can't decide.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

*closes my eyes and thinks back on the first time I took flight on the godbird*

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Someone translated the old Iwata Asks interview for DQ7 3DS: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...-of-limitations

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

In Training posted:

*closes my eyes and thinks back on the first time I took flight on the godbird*
I tried doing this but instead remembered the first time I took flight on Mario Sunshine's Sandbird. :(

Someone translated the old Iwata Asks interview for DQ7 3DS: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...-of-limitations
This is nice and timely. Thanks for the heads up!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ethiser posted:

Came here to ask about this- I've kind of had it on my radar despite no intentions of really getting it and something about that is changing.

I'm sure it gets asked a lot but is it really just "Minecraft but with a DQ window dressing"? I watched a video a few days ago and it kind of presented itself like that and if it's just aimless building without a goal I don't really think it'll be for me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There are quests and chapters and actual structure to it, it's not *just* a sandbox.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
On the full voice acting front have Nintendo or SE said anything about how that'll go down for DQVIII in the west? On the one hand I really liked the PS2 version dub but on the other a new recording would be interesting at least.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Decus posted:

On the full voice acting front have Nintendo or SE said anything about how that'll go down for DQVIII in the west? On the one hand I really liked the PS2 version dub but on the other a new recording would be interesting at least.

i didn't realize the 3ds version was going to have va?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They haven't said anything about whether the western VA is new or recycled, or if they're replacing the music like they did with DQ7, and we probably wont know until later in the year once DQ7 is out and they start talking about DQ8.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Decus posted:

I think everything DQ related has had British voice acting and I remember hearing they even got Yangus back for Warriors, so they'll probably just redub whoever they can't get a hold of and get the old cast to do the new stuff.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

On of the big problems that I had with the Mobile version of 8 was its horrible frame rate. I'm going to assume that this is corrected in the 3DS version?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So does builders have some type of randomly generated map mode? I know you can play the story maps once you beat the game but that seems like it would get dull.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

AriadneThread posted:

i didn't realize the 3ds version was going to have va?

It was one of the big selling points for the Japanese version, but who knows what they'll do with the NA one.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

For people who ordered DQVII on Prime, my copy is arriving today a day early, so check your order status! Might be getting a nice gift

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

For people who ordered DQVII on Prime, my copy is arriving today a day early, so check your order status! Might be getting a nice gift

nope

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

lets hope shantae comes early

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I loved DQ5, I played DQ8 ages ago and enjoyed it but never completed it, but I didn't particularly care for DQ4 or any other if I tried them, I don't really remember, and I'm usually not the biggest fan of the gameplay itself.

Sell me on picking this up come midnight.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Terper posted:

I loved DQ5, I played DQ8 ages ago and enjoyed it but never completed it, but I didn't particularly care for DQ4 or any other if I tried them, I don't really remember, and I'm usually not the biggest fan of the gameplay itself.

Wait, DQVII is getting a midnight release?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Wait, DQVII is getting a midnight release?

Yeah on the eshop. You can even preload it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Terper posted:

honestly, if it wasn't for the series stateside history of new copies being a pain in the rear end to find once the original release sells out, i'd wouldn't have pre-ordered.

I really like the story, but I've also got some powerful nostalgia goggles on, I admit.
The game opens following the main character and his friends who live on only landmass in the whole world until one day they find a ancient ruin that whisks them away to a strange island full of monsters. They help the people free free themselves and find a portal back to the ruin and go home. The next day one of the local fishermen report a new island has appeared out of nowhere right next to their own, and things kind of build from there.

Went out to take the dog for a walk and come home just in time for the ups guy to step out of the truck. Here goes all my productivity for today.