Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

I need some replacement old fashioned wired 3.5mm earphones.

What cheaper, reasonable alternatives are there to the official ones with a feature complete inline remote?

I dunno if they're available on your side of the pond, but I've been using Brainwavz S0 earbuds. They sounds decent enough and come with Comply foam tips which are great. Amazon has them at $45 right now, though I paid $30 so no idea what happened there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Man, I just want to unlock my phone and use the lock screen but holding my finger on Touch ID takes me to springboard. Is that how it's supposed to work? I'm not clicking.

Edit, I guess I'm supposed to hit the lock button instead of home. That sucks.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 14, 2016

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

tuyop posted:

Man, I just want to unlock my phone and use the lock screen but holding my finger on Touch ID takes me to springboard. Is that how it's supposed to work? I'm not clicking.

Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Home Button -> Rest Finger to Open -> Off?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
The smell of that fresh 6s 10 days before warranty runs out. Thanks bad battery.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

glassyalabolas posted:

General -> Accessibility -> Home Button -> Rest Finger

do that if you want the old home button functionality.

This is fantastic, thank you. I have no idea why I'd want to be unlocked but stay on the lock screen. I can read all notifications in the locked state anyway.

There is still no way to lock Apple Maps to North-Up during navigation. That means I can never use it :( sticking with Waze

tuyop posted:

Please explain why you want to unlock but use the lock screen? I don't understand why Apple did this.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 14, 2016

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

fourwood posted:

Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Home Button -> Rest Finger to Open -> Off?

Yeah.
I think it's because I compulsively unlock my phone with the home button instead of the lock button.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Michael Scott posted:

This is fantastic, thank you. I have no idea why I'd want to be unlocked but stay on the lock screen. I can read all notifications in the locked state anyway.

There is still no way to lock Apple Maps to North-Up. That means I can never use it :( sticking with Waze

Please explain why you want to unlock but use the lock screen? I don't understand why Apple did this.

It's more that I want to use my widgets which seem more useful now AND Touch ID for once. So I want to unlock my phone and navigate to the widget and hit like, awful app and to there. Not, open screen, go to awful app, then unlock.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Cool, that makes sense. I still feel like the widgets are awkward and I prefer to use the full apps for now. I'll take a look at the widgets screen and see if I can't pare it down to some useful ones.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Michael Scott posted:

Cool, that makes sense. I still feel like the widgets are awkward and I prefer to use the full apps for now. I'll take a look at the widgets screen and see if I can't pare it down to some useful ones.

The Siri suggestions seem really useful in this way. I may just be enjoying the novelty though.

The giphy iMessages app(?) doesn't do anything for me yet either.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Has anyone had Universal Clipboard work? I am seeing a massive delay in text entry on my iPad right after copying a word or phrase on my iPhone. Happens anywhere text entry is available. Happens over and over as well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tuyop posted:

Just...don't touch home. Lift to display should get you to the lock screen without touching any buttons.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Taima posted:

How exactly does a plug "get loose" when no force is acting on it

How does a USB dongle get loose when someone has to pick it up to plug it in from across the bed and thereby pull on it a little bit? Physics, mostly.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

Just...don't touch home. Lift to display should get you to the lock screen without touching any buttons.

I'm on a 5S. For now.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tuyop posted:

I'm on a 5S. For now.

Don't keep your finger on the button after you press it.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Can you guys turn off "Home control" under "Allow access when locked" in the Touch ID settings?
It stays green I just can't turn it off. What gives?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Why did they get rid of notification grouping :argh:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

glassyalabolas posted:

So, :parrot: is available in the iMessage store in many psychedelic colors.

Where?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Look up "Party Parrots" in the message store. Should be one of the top free ones.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Am I missing something or did iOS10 remove the possibility to hide message previews?

I have message previews off on most apps but now they're all showing up again.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Hey I have a coworker on an iPhone that never had it's iMessages linked to an Apple ID. When you go to message settings it's just the number (this was a hand me down phone from a former employee).

She was wanting to retrieve some old messages that I thought might be in the iMessages archive/app, but given that it was never synced to an actual Apple ID - does that mean the messages are lost to the ether?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

If you're like me and mad about stars being removed from Music.app, there's an app called "Music Rating Widget" that adds a star rating widget to the widget screen.

It's not perfect but it restores star rating functionality to iOS. :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Snuffman posted:

If you're like me and mad about stars being removed from Music.app, there's an app called "Music Rating Widget" that adds a star rating widget to the widget screen.

Does it sync back to iTunes and your smart playlists?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Snuffman posted:

Why do you download music you don't like?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Like 🤔"I don't enjoy this song, I will rate it 1 and keep it on my device instead of removing it"

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Really like the notifications and lock screen. Finally doesn't look and work like a half-assed afterthought.

Is it possible to change the type sounds somewhere? It's weird that they sound differently depending on the type of key you type imo.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ufarn posted:

Really like the notifications and lock screen. Finally doesn't look and work like a half-assed afterthought.

Is it possible to change the type sounds somewhere? It's weird that they sound differently depending on the type of key you type imo.

You have that turned on? You monster.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Like 🤔"I don't enjoy this song, I will rate it 1 and keep it on my device instead of removing it"

I'm anal about keeping complete albums on my phone, but often just shuffle everything. I used to rate skits/interludes/otherwise lovely wastes of tracks 1 star until I realized it probably doesn't even do anything, and requires more effort than simply skipping the track.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I always just used 1 star to mark a song for deletion from my library. The heart/unheart system works just as well for that.

Now if only I could convince the phone to stop showing me that stuff I deleted.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Am I missing something or did iOS10 remove the possibility to hide message previews?

I have message previews off on most apps but now they're all showing up again.
Same here and now I've even rebooted the drat thing.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You can turn it off for Messages.app, but I haven't found a way to turn it off for Messenger (Facebook). I suppose I could turn off the notifications entirely for it... I think there's a new API they'll have to use and update their app, otherwise you'll have to turn off notifications on the lock screen or 'banner' notifications or whatever they're called. I don't know about other apps since I only use Messages and Messenger for chatting, but yeah, that's kind of annoying.

Personally I'm leaving it on since I'm not hiding anything, and if coworkers walk by my desk and read dirty messages on my phone I sometimes leave on my desk - that's on them! But I would appreciate that they "get on that poo poo" and make it an option, since I really don't want private communications to be visible to anyone especially if I lose my phone. Or if I were a drug dealer or something and my phone was in police custody lol. Which I'm not, on both counts, but I mean, considering how Apple takes such a hard stance on privacy, this seems like an oversight, but it also seems like one facilitated by the app developers who didn't integrate properly with the new APIs?

I guess we'll see how it plays out. I imagine it'll be fixed... rapidly. Heh.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Facebook have been really slow updating Messenger for 10. Whatsapp already got updated for the Siri API whereas Messenger is still loving around with secret conversations and Messenger codes that nobody in the world uses.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Anyone having an issue playing music from their phone to their car? My car (Honda Civic 2016) won't play anything from my phone. The car will recognize something is plugged in via USB but it can't tell what it is and won't play anything. My phone won't even connect to my car via Bluetooth.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I am getting tons of these "unable to verify server identity" pop ups in safari with iOS 10.

They seem like they are from advertising companies that seem to tag alon with news companies. The one that pops up when I try to visit HuffPo is for something called "edgecastcdn".

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 15, 2016

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Voicemail transcription on at&t doesn't seem to be working on my 6. Is this a 6s thing?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Voicemail transcription on at&t doesn't seem to be working on my 6. Is this a 6s thing?

Yup.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Neat to see Apple catching up to Google of 5 years ago with respect to image cataloging. I can now search for something like "cat" in my Photos library and everything with a cat in it shows up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now if only google would catch up to Apple of 5 years ago and make a phone OS that isn't in constant risk of being owned by malware from the official app store.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

xzzy posted:

Now if only google would catch up to Apple of 5 years ago and make a phone OS that isn't in constant risk of being owned by malware from the official app store.

Considering 9.3.5 patched a humongous security hole that could own your iPhone through a website, that's not really a thing you can say.

Tiny Man Thinking Big
Apr 24, 2005

Somehow I imagined this experience would be more rewarding.

I got a September 16th delivery date when I preordered last week but still not received a shipped email. I'm starting to get worried it won't be here :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

LmaoTheKid posted:

Considering 9.3.5 patched a humongous security hole that could own your iPhone through a website, that's not really a thing you can say.

Yeah that huge 0 day exploit that they patched within 4 days?