Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Riso posted:

The 70s were practically run on a stock engine with the Ford DFV's unrivalled combination of reliability, performance, availability and affordability.

So what you're saying is bring back the DFV? I can get on that bandwagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

My F1 dream is to see a Hass with an American engine manufacture. Driven by the Colgate Bogan

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Norns posted:

My F1 dream is to see a Hass with an American engine manufacture. Driven by the Colgate Bogan
This would be beautiful

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

This would be beautiful

Not as beautiful as Are Nando. :colbert:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
When the new owners cut off all the extra money for Ferrari, what will the new break away series be called?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

GramCracker posted:

Not as beautiful as Are Nando. :colbert:

He's going to go dominate in WEC

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Norns posted:

With both Australian and US flags flying from the radio antennas

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

daslog posted:

When the new owners cut off all the extra money for Ferrari, what will the new break away series be called?

Formula Ferrari. It'll be just two Ferrari cars and somehow Mercedes and Red Bull manages to take the championship anyway.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

daslog posted:

Forza Motorsport.

wait....

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Peter Windsor thinks Ferrari deserves all the special money and favours because they are the only ones that could kill F1 by starting up a rival series.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Once upon a time, maybe. I highly doubt they could pull that off these days.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Do you guys feel that way? I'd happily watch Smartcar battle Google on track as long as formula 1 is still open cockpit, open wheel and allows its teams to manufacture the cars. The history and heritage of the teams, while cool, is not the thing that makes f1 great for me. Drop Ferrari, drop Williams, drop Mclaren all at once if thats what it takes, the sport is still kicking without Maserati, Brabham and Super Best Friends, isnt it?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Formula Redbull

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Do you guys feel that way?

Up to a point, yes. But on the list of poo poo horribly wrong with the sport that needs to be fixed Ferrari maybe leaving isn't very high on the list.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

daslog posted:

Doesn't Bernie still own the trademark on GP1?

Liberty Media pushing himout of F1 and then him pulling the trigger on the breakaway himself would be Peak Bernie.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Nah, Bernie has a family trust and private stock in FOM. He has to get rid of that first.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i highly doubt a ferrari that is no longer directly owned by FIAT even has the funds to start a global racing series from scratch

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

wicka posted:

i highly doubt a ferrari that is no longer directly owned by FIAT even has the funds to start a global racing series from scratch

Probably true, but I'm willing to bet they could hook more than a few investors.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

in 2004, sure

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

On the flip side if they lose their extra cash and it starts actually costing money to be in F1 the investors are going to want results pretty drat fast or ask them to leave.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Okay F1 but cool Indycar driver Alex Zanardi won a gold medal at the Paralympics today :unsmith:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
If Ferrari, McLaren and Williams got together and formed a breakaway series they'd definitely could pull it off.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

El Hefe posted:

If Ferrari, McLaren and Williams got together and formed a breakaway series they'd definitely could pull it off.

Do you really see Ferrari doing this?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
The biggest hurdle would be getting FIA approved since they'd do anything in their power to keep the status quo.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Other teams would only join them if Ferrari didn't have preferential treatment, so it would end up the same in the end with the added massive risk of this new series being a flop.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Ferrari-Sauber-Haas World Spectacular.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

El Hefe posted:

If we've learned anything from CART/IRL, it's not worth diluting the product. CART used to be the best open wheel racing series, from an entertainment standpoint, before it got ground into obscurity.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

julian assflange posted:

Okay F1 but cool Indycar driver Alex Zanardi won a gold medal at the Paralympics today :unsmith:

And at 49 he's one of if not the oldest Olympian track gold medallist.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Hahaha Ferarri only have themselves to blame, what possible excuse can you have for not having the best team having the most prestige and power in the sport. Complete arrogance? Who knows.

In other news, what am I doing with my life:
https://twitter.com/Earlsimxx/status/776343468822130688

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Plasa was a badass.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The "Ferrari are in crisis" talks are weird when "Like the third best team and constantly underperforming" is a good description of what Ferrari have done in their entire history outside of the Schumacher years. Do people even know F1 history

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Well, anything other than P1 for Ferrari is considered a failure, I think (not a bad mentality to have). Otherwise I agree, the last time Ferrari finished outside of the Top 4 was 1981 (they finished 5th).

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm just glad they've finally found a replacement for the old man who is as equally out of touch and willing to drop the axe for no real reason.

edit: was there ever an explanation as to why the 156/85 turned to complete poo poo for the last third of the season beyond it just being "Ferrari"?

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 15, 2016

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Johansson said something about general disorganization and lack of development. So "Ferrari", in other words.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Lauda would call it Spaghetti.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Lauda came to realise the truth that Ferrari are bad and McLaren are good and after puttering around for two years with his old British teammate beat a young upstart to the world title in his third year with McLaren.

Just like Nando will.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Human Grand Prix posted:

Johansson said something about general disorganization and lack of development. So "Ferrari", in other words.

Welp, better fire everybody and start over again.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Listening to a podcast from BBC R5 well not availabale so on https://www.acast.com/chequeredflagformula/schumacher-7-days-that-changed-f1
Good listen

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

"Damon Hill was a good champion"

-poo poo people actually say at the kart track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
He might be the worst. Good development driver though.

It must have been weird in 1992 jumping back and forth from the FW14 to the BT60B.

• Locked thread