Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
I bleed Ponytas, Geodudes, and Mankeys out of my eyeballs, but I'm lucky that the bike paths also take me through some creek areas so I still can catch some water types. And a decent number of fossil Pokemon, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Dear pogo thread, it finally happened to me.

There I saw, face to face with Dragonite, god of all rare spawns. My hands were trembling. The great balls were flying directly to the right out of my finger spinning them to get ready for a curve ball attempt. So many wasted from my trembling and fumbling. Dragonite attacked relentlessly. "How can you even throw that far back?!" Memories of the legendary Rapidash fights I've only read stories of from survivors raced through my mind.

Anyway, 30 great balls missed and 2 instant break outs somewhere in there later, it ran away. My pokedex will forever be tarnished by that 1 more seen than caught. :smithicide:

But I did find my first Tauros. At like, CP74

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

I wish trading would come out. There are so goddamn many Sandshrews here, almost as many of them as the loving rats.

I will trade you 1 Sandslash and 100 candies for 10 Krabby candies and 10 Shellder candies!

How are you on fire doggos?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I have not faced a Dragonite yet but when I will I'll just enable AR mode and hold my phone in a way that every single ultra ball will hit. Toss a dozen of them right at it's dome.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Eddie Whitson posted:

How are you on fire doggos?

Seen 21, caught 19 (maybe 3 wild)
Currently holding 13, tops at 2220.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I hatched a Ghastly from an egg today and I feel like the worlds worst father

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Are pokeys from nests more prone to worse IVs?

A park near me was swarming with sandshrews and I probably caught 40 of em, but every single one had the lowest possible appraisal.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

POKEMON GO!: The only way to clock KMs is to stand still.

4.4 miles = 7km = 3 pokemon go km
It's even worse than before the update.

Garth_Marenghi fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 14, 2016

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Hrist posted:

There I saw, face to face with Dragonite, god of all rare spawns.

This happened to me day 2 in July.

I'm still not over it :smith:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Hrist posted:

There I saw, face to face with Dragonite, god of all rare spawns. My hands were trembling. The great balls were flying directly to the right out of my finger spinning them to get ready for a curve ball attempt. So many wasted from my trembling and fumbling. Dragonite attacked relentlessly. "How can you even throw that far back?!" Memories of the legendary Rapidash fights I've only read stories of from survivors raced through my mind.

Anyway, 30 great balls missed and 2 instant break outs somewhere in there later, it ran away. My pokedex will forever be tarnished by that 1 more seen than caught. :smithicide:

Tauros is garbage, and I see like 2 a day around here, that's a small consolation. I don't even bother catching them anymore half the time. Sorry about your loss, I saw a dragonite pop up on the desktop scanner for the first time a few days ago, but it had 3 minutes left and it would have taken me 10 to drive to where I was scanning.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
^ Yeah Tauros seems to be on the tier of supposedly rarer spawn Pokemon so it automatically has a darker ring color to begin with (like how starters do) but they're all worthless. I already gave up thinking I'll save some to trade to overseas people someday. Only consolation is they have a big hitbox for tossing balls at.

djwetmouse posted:

POKEMON GO!: The only way to clock KM's is to stand still.

4.4 miles = 7km = 3 pokemon go km
It's even worse than before the update.

It seemed worse for me today too. Ran 5 km (3.1 miles) and I noticed my 10k egg that was on 7.1 (so it needs 2.9 km more to hatch) just hatched as I stopped.

So 5 km real life = 2.9 km in Pokemon Go today.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Turns out evolving your buddy removes his current candy progress.

Bye to 2k progress, hello charmeleon.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
141 pokemon. Missing Chancey. :suicide:

I really don't want to walk around hoping for 10k eggs then hoping it gives me a chancey.

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

My Gyrados has Twister. :(

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Hrist posted:

I have a guide that may help you...

I'm just loving with you! For reals: sorry dude, that sucks. I've had an ultra rare runaway before, and I felt sick to my stomach.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 14, 2016

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

d_redguy posted:

My Gyrados has Twister. :(

Both my Gyaradoses have Twister.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Box wine posted:

141 pokemon. Missing Chancey. :suicide:

I really don't want to walk around hoping for 10k eggs then hoping it gives me a chancey.

I wish I could trade you a Chancey for a Lapras.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Julio Cruz posted:

Both my Gyaradoses have Twister.

My four Gyaradoses have Twister. :negative:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
first 10k was pinsir

second was scyther

i have lost the will to live

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

My last two 10K hatches have been Eevee. My area is so lousy with Eevees I've evolved all I can and am still sitting on 450+ Eevee candy.

At least I got some charmander candy from all that running :smith:

Marf Revus
Apr 20, 2010

Meh

Mierenneuker posted:

I keep getting notifications about the Pokemon Go Plus session having ended if I close the app on my iPhone. I don't have a Plus and Bluetooth isn't even enabled. I ended up disabling notifications for Pokemon Go altogether, they weren't even used for anything up to this point anyway.

Edit: also, here is my buddy about to find his first candy. I've seen 0 Sandshrews but got 3 of them from eggs, putting me oh so close to the 50 candies needed to evolve one.

Exact same thing's been happening with me, also turned off notifications. Weird thing. Also the Sandshrew stuff actually, haha. Needed one candy and was my first buddy.

Sprite Based posted:

Anyone else having performance issues with the new patch? My game is super laggy, and stutters a lot, especially on the overhead map view. I'm on an iPhone 5S if that makes any difference.

Yeah, 5C here and hasn't been too kind. Lot of stutter and things are loading way slower

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Dahbadu posted:

I wish I could trade you a Chancey for a Lapras.

So do I cause I have 4 and tossed 2 garbage ones even.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
My phone (Galaxy S4) is finally starting to die. Any good recommendations for an Android phone around $250 or cheaper that can play Pokemon Go pretty well? Phone tech is one of those things I never keep up with so I have no idea how they stack up against each other, but I don't care enough about smart phones to pay $600 for the newest fastest one just to listen to music, have GPS, and be autistic about pokemon

Fake James fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 14, 2016

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

How the gently caress do you get four Garadii

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Just live by the sea. They're so common there that if I had the same amount of Magikarp as I do Pidgeys I'd have 6 Gyarados by now.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Hrist posted:

When I was visiting my family, a Dragonite popped up in front of the house one morning while I was on my way out to walk the dog. I caught it on like the first throw, but it was only about 150CP. My sister in law missed it, and her husband couldn't catch his after multiple throws.

About 15-20 minutes later, it came back. I couldn't see it again, but she caught it, and it came back for her husband too but he still couldn't catch it. Apparently that's the third one to have gotten away from him - they hadn't seen them near the house before, but there's a town nearby where they show up sometimes.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Geoff Zahn posted:

My phone (Galaxy S4) is finally starting to die. Any good recommendations for an Android phone around $250 or cheaper that can play Pokemon Go pretty well? Phone tech is one of those things I never keep up with so I have no idea how they stack up against each other, but I don't care enough about smart phones to pay $600 for the newest fastest one just to listen to music, have GPS, and be autistic about pokemon

You can easily get a S6 off amazon for $250 or less. I got mine slightly cheaper as it was on sale.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Somberbrero posted:

first 10k was pinsir

second was scyther

i have lost the will to live

2 onices
2-3 eevee
2 pinsir

:dunkedon:

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
I just hatched a 65 CP Rhydon from a 5k egg. I'm level 27. Is this a thing that happens

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

That DICK! posted:

I hatched a Ghastly from an egg today and I feel like the worlds worst father

I just hatched a Ghastly from an egg today too, and it's my first one. I was super excited, because Gengar has been my favorite pokemon since I played Gen 1 when I was a teenager, so I've been waiting and waiting for this Ghastly.

Checked his IVs and he's only 76%. :(

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
What is the cheapest phone y'all have which could play Pogo? I have an old iPhone 4 and am sort of tempted to make an actual Pogo robot once the plus comes out which just physically trundles around pressing the button occasionally. Probably not super useful, but would be a fun extension of my lovely self driving robot.

Smol posted:

My four Gyaradoses have Twister. :negative:

My four have 2x Bite/Hydro, 1x Dragon Pulse/Hydro, and 1x Dragon Pulse/Dragon Breath.

So sorry for your loss.

If it makes you feel better, even the good moveset ones aren't really much more than glorified high CP Seadras.

That DICK! posted:

How the gently caress do you get four Garadii

Live near water basically.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I had a great run of 10k eggs.... Before level 15 or so, now I'm 25 and haven't had one since. More like at least 50% 2k :smith:

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Fusion Restaurant posted:

What is the cheapest phone y'all have which could play Pogo? I have an old iPhone 4 and am sort of tempted to make an actual Pogo robot once the plus comes out which just physically trundles around pressing the button occasionally. Probably not super useful, but would be a fun extension of my lovely self driving robot.

I got this one for my 4 year old kid to use to play it. For a $60 phone, I'm pretty impressed.

https://www.amazon.com/BLU-R1-HD-Exclusive-Lockscreen/dp/B01H2E0J5M

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
man getting a 100 cp blastoise at level 23 sure is sweet, not to mention my 31 and 141 CP snorlax's or my 500 Lapras.

Pretty cool game

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Hrist posted:

At least you know they spawn. If you can remember where it was you might even be able to set up an alert system. Guy on my local discord chat is using ipokego, I haven't used it personally but maybe you can have luck with it

Mnemosyne posted:

I just hatched a Ghastly from an egg today too, and it's my first one. I was super excited, because Gengar has been my favorite pokemon since I played Gen 1 when I was a teenager, so I've been waiting and waiting for this Ghastly.

Checked his IVs and he's only 76%. :(

gengar isnt even tier 3 fighter so w/e

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Tom Gorman posted:

Are pokeys from nests more prone to worse IVs?

A park near me was swarming with sandshrews and I probably caught 40 of em, but every single one had the lowest possible appraisal.

Yeah. Incense will be unaffected, but lures and nests are gash. I've heard "frequent spawn areas" as well as wild are less affected by it too, getting 60% machops sometimes in my fsa.

I got a 70% poliwag on an incense yesterday but it was only like cp32.

Geoff Zahn posted:

I got the galaxy s5 because it has longer battery life than the 6 and 7. And it was the only one available at the time. The game may load/perform slower, the GPS is too accurate to drift too far indoors, ymmv. (edit4: I get 5-6 hours of pokemon on a full charge with my screen brightness set on low daytime, lowest nighttime.)

Emanuel Collective posted:

I just hatched a 65 CP Rhydon from a 5k egg. I'm level 27. Is this a thing that happens

Maybe you got a 5k egg when you were level 1-9, and it never hatched until now? Egg order is jumbled in your inventory so unless you use every 5k egg, it's possible.

edit3: vvv I too have heard multiple accounts of rares spawning in a spot, and then respawning again minutes after. Another version of it is seeing evolved pokemon after the basic, 2nd evolutions appear. If you see a metapod, a butterfree might show up. etc. same with dratini/dragonair/dragonites sometimes.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 14, 2016

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

zeldadude posted:

man getting a 100 cp blastoise at level 23 sure is sweet, not to mention my 31 and 141 CP snorlax's or my 500 Lapras.

Pretty cool game

update: another blastoise spawned in the exact same spot immediately after that one despawned. I also saw a dragonite there the other day but I missed it.
Might be anecdotal but it sure seems like there are "rare spawn points"

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

crime fighting hog posted:

This happened to me day 2 in July.

I'm still not over it :smith:

It happened to me when I was level 8 during that week when the servers were constantly exploding and the game wouldn't even let me try to catch it, the pokeball just keep endlessly spinning and when I restarted the app, he was gone

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Geoff Zahn posted:

I upgraded around the time PoGo came out and I found that the Motorola Moto G4 was the best value for money. Game runs well on it, the battery does run out pretty fast but I think that's a problem on all phones. The Moto is supposed to have pretty good battery capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Mnemosyne posted:

Video on attack formula/why speed/spec attack pokeman suck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig_jHL18NWs

Good movesets > good stats though imo. If you can find a use for the type/move combination, its still worth getting that evolution. I haven't looked too far into gengars movesets, but I got one with shadow claw (best attack quickmove) and shadowball (worst attack charge, best defense set). they're both ghost moves at least. the better charge moves are both poison which is extremely meh to me.

• Locked thread