Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Any AJ bitterness in the Mecca worth posting yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Any AJ bitterness in the Mecca worth posting yet?

I would be shocked if it isn't "Wow, WWE can't be successful without pushing TNA stars to the top!"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
They are still stuck on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/775511171508166656

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Obviously his career path after washing out of MMA will be to become TNA's latest acquisition.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

We just need Phil Brooks

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

I assume there is a certain subset of fans who simply do not care at all about the actual matches. I could see not liking AJ Styles if you were one of those people. I can't imagine how watching WWE wouldn't be the most nightmarish experience possible for these people, but maybe they're the same guys who hammer nails into their dicks or cut themselves just to feel alive.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
To be fair, WWE's formula for years was 5 minute undercard matches and 2.5 hours of filler and drama. If you look at the Network on Raw episodes from like 2009-12 or so (and the Attitude Era actually), those little dots for the starts and ends of matches on the seek bar are really close to each other with huge spaces in between them. So a few years back you could literally be a "wrestling" fan without being a fan of wrestling.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 13, 2016

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Even if you hate everything that happens in a ring, I find it hard to imagine why someone would see how AJ has been portrayed in WWE and find it boring. He's been surprisingly well protected and presented in a way that gives him a pretty unique character as this arrogant outsider out to get people who have offered him perceived slights. Nobody is going to say he's a great promo or anything, but as a "drama character," he's been as big a success as he has as wrestler since coming here.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Sanguinia posted:

Even if you hate everything that happens in a ring, I find it hard to imagine why someone would see how AJ has been portrayed in WWE and find it boring. He's been surprisingly well protected and presented in a way that gives him a pretty unique character as this arrogant outsider out to get people who have offered him perceived slights. Nobody is going to say he's a great promo or anything, but as a "drama character," he's been as big a success as he has as wrestler since coming here.

Except he has become one of the best talkers in wwe.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Miz on Swerved doing an AJ impression is still my favorite thing.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
AJ's promo work has noticeably improved IMO. I used to dread anytime he had a mic but he's playing the arrogant hillbilly rear end in a top hat on the mic very well.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

AJ's promo work has noticeably improved IMO. I used to dread anytime he had a mic but he's playing the arrogant hillbilly rear end in a top hat on the mic very well.

He's probably a more natural babyface as far as in ring work is concerned but his character work is definitely better as a heel imo

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thauros posted:

He's probably a more natural babyface as far as in ring work is concerned but his character work is definitely better as a heel imo

The Seth Rollins Effect.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's true though it's helped by Styles being like ten times better at basically everything than Rollins

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Almost every wrestler is better as a heel than as a face, which tells you that obviously most of them are probably huge assholes in real life :colbert:

Cena, Bayley, Zayn, who else is actually naturally better as a face?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Goldberg

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Almost every wrestler is better as a heel than as a face, which tells you that obviously most of them are probably huge assholes in real life :colbert:

Our beloved United States champion Rusev, of course. :patriot:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

AJ is playing the same character he played in NJPW. It's strange, because until then, he was terrible on the mic, but somehow turned a corner bullshitting with the Bullet Club to a series of crowds that could not understand a word he was saying half the time. Before NJPW, he was playing some kind of dark version of himself in TNA, hence the hair, his change into an overconfident jackass in Japan was amazing, and it's great that he managed to get back to that character after his relatively weak, pitbull face thing he had going on as he entered WWE.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Marquis de Pyro posted:

What if their terrible at both like the big show but seem like they're a good person.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

He did a heel "ric flair protege" thing in TNA and it was awful, largely because it was hard not to pop for his moveset, and because TNA has no idea what they're doing.

E: AJ, that is. Although god Big Show trying to do Ric Flair would be amazing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
From all that I saw of AJ in TNA I figured "Okay he's a great wrestler but he's probably one of those who will never be that good a talker and that does limit him a little", but somehow WWE caught him when he found his voice.

Granted it does help that he no longer looks like a literal teenager.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

From all that I saw of AJ in TNA I figured "Okay he's a great wrestler but he's probably one of those who will never be that good a talker and that does limit him a little", but somehow WWE caught him when he found his voice.

Granted it does help that he no longer looks like a literal teenager.

AJ wasn't awful on the mic but yeah he never blew anyone away. Plus you could tell pretty easily when guys like him, Daniels, Kaz, and Samoa Joe completely stopped giving a poo poo because they knew TNA was garbage.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
For another natural baby-face - Nakamura.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Mark Henry was a great heel and is a great smiling baby face and he's a literal Saint in the business.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Rob Van Dam and Rey Mysterio.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I liked Cena's heel work better tbh.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Ricky Steamboat famously never turned heel. I think he said he would've liked to do a heel run at some point but promoters just didn't want to risk it because he was such a natural babyface.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Anyway, speaking of stupid opinions

https://twitter.com/ThundaHammafist/status/776141198444625924

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Remember when Ziggler and Miz had the Battle of Cleveland and the loser had to be billed as from Cleveland?

(That didn't actually happen that way, but I like to pretend it did.)

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Mark Titus, eh?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

@ThundaHammafist is a pro twitter handle

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Lebron James? Stipe Miocic? Nah, let's put all of our city's hopes on a overrated wrestler and crappy stand-up comic who used to be a male cheerleader and a caddy.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

DJExile posted:

@ThundaHammafist is a pro twitter handle

thank you

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
loving sick of hearing about Cleveland

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Stipe can't be a hero or legend unless he successfully defends the belt two more times, in the process breaking the historic UFC Heavyweight Champ Curse

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Styles did good comedy work in tna

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/52yzuz/performed_a_modified_cm_punk_pipe_bomb_on_my_boss/

gently caress

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

That HAS to be stdh.txt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I doubt any wrestler could be really a sports hero of a town. I would assume most people don't even really know where most wrestlers are from due to gimmick locations.