Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
^^^ Forgot about embrasures, they come with Medieval Times by default. Yeah, they're OP in the fact that the AI is borderline retarded when it comes to the melee guys, the ones with ranged weapons do fight back. I'd prefer it if the AI fought back better, but I hate leaving everything porous too. And TBH, it's not as retarded as you're making it sound, the melee guys will run around to where I don't have anyone manning an embrasure and try to break down the doors there before standing in front of 6 dudes waiting for their turn to die. It turns into a Benny Hill chase along my ramparts as I try to kill enough to get them to give up. Plus, it's not like a turret killbox doesn't trivialize the poo poo out of any raid at my point in the game to boot.

Internet Explorer posted:

I definitely think the same thing and I've been playing this game for a pretty long time. I have a feeling some of these screenshots are using mods or custom scenarios that people aren't being forthcoming about.

I'm using a few mods. The most game breaking one in the screenshot I posted is the Tilled Soil mod, which ramps your crop growth to 200%; which certainly helps increase the number of colonists I can support food-wise. Aside from that I have:

Allow Tool - Adds a tool that allows you to mass allow dropped items on the map. Handy, but hardly a game breaker.

Expanded Prosthetics - Sounds overpowered, but in Medieval you can't make anything but hook hands, basic metal arms, peg legs, eye patches, and ear bandages. The eye and ear ones don't really do anything major; I think they get rid of the negative opinion modifier for social though.

Wildlife Tab - Adds a tab to the UI that you can click on to find animals that you haven't tamed. Pretty handy for hunting.

Muzzy-Utils - Allows you to see moods at a glance on the colonist bar. Also adds a stockpile option to filter fresh items, which feels like an oversight in the base game honestly, since you get a filter for rotten.

Trader Spot - Adds a spot similar to the Party Spot where traders will congregate, instead of them picking a random spot on the map, usually right in front of your defenses. Doesn't seem to get used if you have hospitality installed though.

Hospitality - This one's kind of OP, since it gives your social guys something to do beyond chat/recruit prisoners. You can raise faction standings with other factions and give them a room to sleep in. Being that you don't have a Comm Station in Medieval, this mod gives you at least someplace to get rid of surplus goods. It also adds an event where family members/spouses from other factions have a chance of asking to join your colony, though it hasn't really fired a lot in my game. There's other stuff too, but I haven't really tinkered with it too much other than making a guest room and using them for trading.

Condition Replacement - Allows you to do things like replace bad backs with plasteel discs, hearing loss with hearing aids, and cataracts with lenses. Since I'm on Medieval, I get nothing but the Plasteel Disc option as my Tech maxxes out before the other stuff unlocks.

Quality Builder - This one is awesome, allows you to set the minimum quality of any item that provides a quality boost. Only allows your best builders to build it, and will deconstruct/rebuild until it gets the desired quality. It's nice being able to just set a line of wooden beds outside your wood stockpile, pick excellent and come back when your builder's finished.

Rimworld: Medieval Edition - This gets rid of any high tech stuff for everyone across the board, so raid defense is a bit easier. Without this the Medieval mod pits you against fully teched up enemies; so I guess this one kind of breaks the game in that regard, but you're also handicapped into not using any of those things, so I consider it required.

Medieval Times - This is the main mod I'm using, and it changes the way you play the game a lot. The lack of any good heat managment is a big handicap. You get ice boxes which require you to constantly have a guy churning out ice blocks to keep your cooler cold (even then you can only get below freezing in the winter), and a hearth which just isn't practical to put in every room since it requires a ton of granite. The braziers are a slight step up from torches, and can keep smaller rooms above freezing in the winter outside of cold snaps. Crop production is a bitch and it's a constant battle every year to get enough stored to get me through the winter even with tilled soil. I'm always either running out of hay/kibble for my farm or corn/meat for my colonists by the time my next spring harvest comes in. It does add a lot in the way of clothing though, which you kind of need in order to survive the winters with no real heating; the majority of the winter all my work spaces are below freezing. Your wood requirements for keeping all your lighting sources fueled get immense once you're where I'm at. My tree farms just aren't keeping up.

Auto Seller - Allows you to set buy/sell thresholds for items/animals and it will try to meet them up to your buyer's siliver limit and yours. Great Quality of Life mod.

Storage Search - Adds a Search bar to your stockpiles. Another great QoL mod.

Door Mats - Adds a doormat item that soaks up dirt from your colonist's feet to keep them from tracking it everywhere. I think the mats hold like 5 or 10 dirt per tile, so if you're not cleaning regularly poo poo still gets tracked everywhere. Kind of OP I guess, but it's nice.

Crafting Hysteresis - Adds thresholds to pause/unpause your crafting jobs, so your cook doesn't keep running back to the stove to make 1 meal. Not using it myself since it doesn't jive with Colony Manager's job system.

Outfitter - Kind of neat, your pawns will switch gear dynamically based on needs. I haven't tinkered a lot with it, but I should.

More Mental Breaks - Adds more variety to your colonists mental breaks. Kind of OP, since your major breaks are more varied than just going on a killing spree, and generally don't end it loss of life and/or limb.

Animals Tab - Adds and tab for you to manage/view your various tamed critters

Colony Manager - Must-have mod if there is one. It allows you to set thresholds for all your crafting items based on anything. Want to make simple meals only when your meat level is below the 5 it takes to make a fine meal? You can do that. Want to only make lavish meals if your meat stockpile is bigger than 500, guess which mod lets you do that? Animal taming/slaughter management is another must have feature of the mod that you just can't believe you lived without. It's a little buggy in that it doesn't take the quantities required to make things into account, but it's still awesome as hell.

That's pretty much it for the mods that are A15 ready.

I might not even make it through the next winter, which is why I've been systematically killing my less desirable colonists off. I've had two volcanic winters this year, and I'm praying to god that I don't get a cold snap before the next harvest since the growing season on my map is only the 11th of spring to the first of fall.

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Internet Explorer posted:

I definitely think the same thing and I've been playing this game for a pretty long time. I have a feeling some of these screenshots are using mods or custom scenarios that people aren't being forthcoming about.

I see those screenshots and I just wonder how they hadn't got bored of that map hours before they got to that point. Here is my last game and I barely made it this far without the new map itch setting in (a15, completely mod free):

I intentionally played a flat desert to get my out of my comfort zone (digging into mountains). This game is best when your colony is getting destroyed and I only lost 4 colonists, all from a single big raid before I built the containment wall and killbox (not shown): 2 during the raid, 1 from an infection they got from it, and 1 I had to eventually put down from a brain injury. Apparently I need to bump Randy up a notch or two...

Also those deep mining drills in a15 really seem trivialize plasteel. I've never gone from zero to ~2k surplus with a fully (and redundantly) built ship with basically zero effort before. There's also plenty more in the mining zones.

I'll pop on some usability mods for my next game, and some things to counter the most bullshit of mechanics (RT Fuses) but "easy mode" stuff I just really don't get at all. <shrug>

Fancy_Lad fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 14, 2016

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

Here's baby's first mountain base.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
So many batteries... it's like you guys want Zzzt events to be terrible.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If I'm on a map with trees I just have a massive wall of fueled generators

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
split up ur power systems...

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

When I get a Zzzt is literally destroys everything in it's path. Adds some spice!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
While setting what wildlife has wandered near my new colony, I saw a tortoise in a pool of blood. Checking her, she had scratch scars on both eyes, a bitten-off nose, and a shattered plastron(underbelly shell), all from a timber wolf attack.

I then found the wolf nearby, with some belly and neck bites. Oh, and missing three legs and its HEAD.

I'm taming Little Gamera immediately and looking for the pet bionics mods

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
The Zzzt counter in vanilla is just a power switch that you toggle off with no power conduit on the battery side. You'll never get that event.

I only really use them in the early game before geothermal is researched and I've built up a few. Once you install a few of those and are enjoying the consistent power source they provide, batteries are basically obsolete unless something crazy is happening.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Two colonists got in a very brief spat. Only like two punches were exchanged however one of them fuckin dragon punched the other and killed her. Checked the health and she only had a broken clavicle? Wouldn't normally be mad but she was one of the good ones.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Today I made a royal bed that not only is worth over 20k, but is also of legendary quality:

Too bad traders are bugged in a15 and won't buy furniture that can have art on it. I was really hoping to trade it for a shitton of bionics/steel.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've been playing since A4 and I don't think I've ever had a trader that would buy furniture. Was that supposed to be a thing in A15?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Does having sterile tiles in your freezer actually do anything?

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Does having sterile tiles in your freezer actually do anything?

Yes, less likely to have people get food poisoning from eating food from there if the cleanliness level is high. Sterile tiles means it can go up to .6 cleanliness, sorta acting as a buffer before it needs to be cleaned again.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Azhais posted:

I've been playing since A4 and I don't think I've ever had a trader that would buy furniture. Was that supposed to be a thing in A15?

I've been playing since A14 and I've encountered precisely two traders who would buy furniture.

I remember distinctly because this led me to maintain significant stockpiles of extra furniture uninstalled and ready for sale for several games afterward, so that they could gather dust while my colony burned down or the colonists murdered each other.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I get people who will buy beds but not tables. Who knows.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Bulk goods traders and exotic goods will buy regular furniture, but not art-able furniture (because the HighQualityFurnitureBase ThingDef in \RimWorld\Mods\Core\Defs\ThingDefs_Buildings\Buildings_Furniture.xml doesn't have any tradetags listed). A14 also worked that way, and I would guess that it has for while.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Yes, less likely to have people get food poisoning from eating food from there if the cleanliness level is high. Sterile tiles means it can go up to .6 cleanliness, sorta acting as a buffer before it needs to be cleaned again.

Incorrect; cleanliness is applied at the time of cooking. Only the kitchen's cleanliness, the cook's skill, and absolutely nothing else matters for food poisoning chance.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone else use RedistHeat? I'm just getting back in from playing back in A12, and man, this game is improved.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Five seconds after a mod comes out that makes the ground-penetrating identifier actually identify plasteel deposits, literally five seconds after, I will install it and simplify the loving slot machine hunt for enough plasteel to get off this goddamn rock.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Zhentar posted:

Incorrect; cleanliness is applied at the time of cooking. Only the kitchen's cleanliness, the cook's skill, and absolutely nothing else matters for food poisoning chance.

How in the world did my pet muffalo get food poisoning from uncooked corn, then?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Katsuma posted:

How in the world did my pet muffalo get food poisoning from uncooked corn, then?

Uncooked food seems to have a small chance of inflicting food poisoning, even if it's the sort of food that has no mood debuff to eat raw.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I harvested all the plasteel to get off this rock ice shelf from the bodies of dead mechanoids :whatup:

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
After finishing my first game and grabbing a bunch of mods that I thought made the game easier I decided to jump straight up to intense and man, Randy is a dick. First season two raids, an infestation and a psychic ship, second season was quiet, then third season three sieges in as many days with a raid between the first and second. It's a good thing I built this base into a mountain.

Still he's not all bad, he did decide to give me a free breeding pair of camels right at the start and now I have 6 sniper rifles from all those sieges.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

NatasDog posted:

:words: about mods

This is a good post

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mulatto Butts posted:

I harvested all the plasteel to get off this rock ice shelf from the bodies of dead mechanoids :whatup:

how the gently caress are you supposed to do a no farming start anyway

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Willfrey posted:

This is a good post

It doesn't have my mod, so it is in fact a bad post :smith:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Murder all the animals?

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
How do you guys manage temperature in mountain bases?

I'm considering a cooling facility outside which pumps super chilled air thorough a series of tunnels, I can then locally exhaust heat into those tunnels. The low temp on the hot side should make power usage internally very low.

Thoughts?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

yoloer420 posted:

How do you guys manage temperature in mountain bases?

I'm considering a cooling facility outside which pumps super chilled air thorough a series of tunnels, I can then locally exhaust heat into those tunnels. The low temp on the hot side should make power usage internally very low.

Thoughts?

I build every room off of a broad hallway, and compartmentalize that way. Makes dealing with temperature things super easy. I use wood early and convert everything to stone as soon as reasonable which makes fire much less of an issue as well.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Squeegy posted:

It doesn't have my mod, so it is in fact a bad post :smith:

What mod is yours, and is it A15 ready?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

NatasDog posted:

What mod is yours, and is it A15 ready?

Psychology, and yes, though I'm not developing it for A15 yet.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Squeegy posted:

Psychology, and yes, though I'm not developing it for A15 yet.

Yeah, I ended up giving yours a pass since there's already so many traits in the base game. Some of them are pretty cool though, maybe I'll use it on my next playthrough.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

it was a long cannibalistic winter

to survive I had to eat the cats, the prisoners, several colonists and my entire corpse locker of pirates (no tribals ever attacked due to winter temps of -83C, even sieges fled after losing enough people to hypothermia before setting up the mortars)

hydroponics were unusable in winter due to heavy investment in solar in summer and realizing too late the sun never came up in winter

the situation only stabilized with geothermals the next spring after eating an entire manhunting warg pack and a space unicorn

edit: this was on vanilla

wynott dunn fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 15, 2016

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

I have a good feeling about this start! My previous attempts I was having multiple major breaks before Fall even arrived as I struggled to keep my folks from resorting to raw cannibalism. I'm sure something terrible will happen anytime.

I've been struggling to get enough steel to attempt to prepare for temperature control in the winter, but I have smelting researched now. I haven't seen a trader yet, I feel like I should have some more guns for when I am inevitably attacked.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don't know how you guys do mountain bases. Mining through the rock takes forever, plus you have to add walls anyway to not kill your colonists' need for beauty.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

I don't know how you guys do mountain bases. Mining through the rock takes forever, plus you have to add walls anyway to not kill your colonists' need for beauty.

You build a freezer/basic housing outside what'll eventually be your mountain base, alongside whatever else you need upfront. Then you hopefully start with 1-2 people that have 15+ish Mining.

Higher level Mining mines really fast.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

Slowly. Also yeah you can build some basic huts outside, or put everything in your main entrance hall until you dig out some more stuff. Digging your first cave out of the rock doesn't take much longer than harvesting enough wood and building houses for everyone. Digging takes a while but you don't need to build walls right away.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Jay Rust posted:

Rookersh posted:

You build a freezer/basic housing outside what'll eventually be your mountain base, alongside whatever else you need upfront. Then you hopefully start with 1-2 people that have 15+ish Mining.

That's essentially what I did, though my miners were not nearly so skilled. I've been expanding a room or so at a time; I started by walling off a corner of the mountain's edge to make a communal bedroom, then eventually mined out a room for my starting colonists. I have no real plan going forward I am just winging it; I'm sure it will catch up with me pretty soon, but I'm just learning.

Edit: drat that sun lamp takes a lot of juice. Before I started my indoor grow-op my batteries were fully juiced constantly and now I'm afraid of my food stores rotting! I might actually get geothermal power researched this run though!

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Rookersh posted:

Basically this.

The first couple years most of my crafting/cooking stuff is outdoors with roofs overhead and a small indoor sleeping area. Even my eating area is outdoors to start, I just put a couple 1 tile pillars up and zone roofs around them for stockpiles and whatever else will decay without a roof overhead. I don't even keep a room for prisoners until I'm properly set up in a mountain home; usually I repurpose my old sleeping barracks as the prisoner area once I get everyone their own room.

You don't even really need a freezer to start, raw veggies keep for a long time under a roof; a smallish freezer for meat is all you need if you absolutely want fine meals. I personally set colony manager to only keep 50 meat on hand with hunting, so it gets used before it spoils usually. You'll lose some if you have an alphabeaver/manhunter bonanza, but it's not that big a deal in the long run.