Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

And More posted:

Phoenix fights like a mad man during his second case. Mia has to point out to him that he needs to look at the receipt, but he has to use it as evidence. She also ends up forcing White to admit his guilt, but that's after his guilt is basically proven. Athena, on the other hand, gets flustered because the prosecutor and the audience are mean to her. :shrug:

Admittedly, I haven't played the original trilogy in quite a while. Maybe Mia's all like "Shut up, Franziska!", and I've just forgotten about that part.

Phoenix literally has his head in his hands because he can't prove White's guilt and then Mia is like "read this you idiot" and then he does and White admits his guilt while Phoenix still has no idea what's going on. At least Athena is the one who actually solves the loving case. Simon helps out especially with keeping people on the stand, and providing moral support when she almost gives up (which happens too often). But Athena figures out Uendo's deal, how he obfuscated the time of murder, and how Geiru killed him and hid the evidence by herself. She's way more essential to the whole thing than Phoenix is in 1-2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Phoenix literally has his head in his hands because he can't prove White's guilt and then Mia is like "read this you idiot" and then he does and White admits his guilt while Phoenix still has no idea what's going on. At least Athena is the one who actually solves the loving case. Simon helps out especially with keeping people on the stand, and providing moral support when she almost gives up (which happens too often). But Athena figures out Uendo's deal, how he obfuscated the time of murder, and how Geiru killed him and hid the evidence by herself. She's way more essential to the whole thing than Phoenix is in 1-2.

That's not true, though. Phoenix tears White to shreds. He's got his head in his hands because he fears that Edgeworth will fake some evidence to prove White's innocence, but he has basically proven that the guy is guilty.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

And More posted:

That's not true, though. Phoenix tears White to shreds. He's got his head in his hands because he fears that Edgeworth will fake some evidence to prove White's innocence.

Yeah, he's basically lost and has no idea how to get the win and then Mia shows up and does it for him, while he has no idea what's going on or why the evidence is relevant.

Edit: I think the difference is in presentation. Athena's inexperience is a much bigger part of her character, and while Phoenix gets bailed out in the end the game doesn't make a big deal of him being a rookie. Same with Apollo being saved by Klav in 4-2, it's less because Apollo's a newbie at the whole lawyer thing and more to show that Klavier is a good dude who just wants to find the truth. I'm fine with how it works for Athena though because by focusing more on that inexperience and her proving itself she manages to have a better showing and really solve the case herself, moreso than the other two in similar situations. At least that's how I feel about it.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 15, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
so I finished Trial Day 1 and I gotta say

them setting up a retread of the Shelly de Killer kidnapping Maya plotline and then immediately defusing it and pulling the curtain from over Inga was great

also are we sure that wasn't an entire case of its own, they could've cut to unlocking episode 6 and I wouldn't have even blinked

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah, he's basically lost and has no idea how to get the win and then Mia shows up and does it for him, while he has no idea what's going on or why the evidence is relevant.

It's not evidence, she blackmails White into giving up. And it's not because Phoenix has lost, it's because Edgeworth is trying to weasel his way out of losing by digging up some more shady evidence or by accusing White himself.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Athena's in a bit of a strange position because she hasn't had her own game/final case yet. I imagine she'll have an arc where she proves herself next game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, a realization I just had was that 6-4 is really only Athena's second case, if you don't count Phoenix bailing her out of 5-1, though she's been co-counsel for more.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah this game is hard for me, I imagine in part that since I'm phone gaming simultaneously I'm more distracted than focused and miss details, or am digging towards a contradiction that gets addressed later, but there's a simpler contradiction that I completely missed. I think case two is the only case I didn't wind up tapping consult after a game over ... What a sham I am :eng99:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

And More posted:

It's not evidence, she blackmails White into giving up. And it's not because Phoenix has lost, it's because Edgeworth is trying to weasel his way out of losing by digging up some more shady evidence or by accusing White himself.

I mean that he has something in the court record that can get him out of this mess but he can't put it all together so Mia does it for him. She's the one that wins the case. Which is fine cause she's avenging her own death and that's cool, but it still shows that Nick isn't at her level yet and still basically a rookie. It's not too dissimilar a situation I feel.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Another thing to remember with Athena is that she actually has trauma in regards to being in court. I'd say she's come a good ways since the events of the last game.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah turning the crowd against her is actually a very personal attack.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

On case 4 (but not relevant to the current discussion) was anyone else kinda unnerved by the way everyone was pressuring Uendo to eat something they thought (correctly) would knock him out?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Just started case 4 and it makes me wish so much that Capcom wasn't so adamant about keeping the series in "Los Angeles". I've always hated this part of the localization. :sigh:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
People mention the whole Japanifornia thing a lot, but I don't remember the games ever mentioning where they took place. It wasn't until this game that I actually noticed someone saying outright that they were in LA (and it was even offhand, Phoenix says in case 3 that the Steel Samurai is filmed in LA. Since that was near them, they'd also have to be there.).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Just started case 4 and it makes me wish so much that Capcom wasn't so adamant about keeping the series in "Los Angeles". I've always hated this part of the localization. :sigh:

Conversely, I loving love it. There's something about AA that just allows it to pull it off and have it be charming instead of off-putting.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Momomo posted:

People mention the whole Japanifornia thing a lot, but I don't remember the games ever mentioning where they took place. It wasn't until this game that I actually noticed someone saying outright that they were in LA (and it was even offhand, Phoenix says in case 3 that the Steel Samurai is filmed in LA. Since that was near them, they'd also have to be there.).

It's been mentioned in earlier games. (Trying to remember which game, I want to say Apollo Justice, but it could have been earlier than that)

Waffleman_ posted:

Conversely, I loving love it. There's something about AA that just allows it to pull it off and have it be charming instead of off-putting.

I understand the reasoning and the explanation (no internment of the Japanese and it's culture flourished through America, etc) of why but throughout the series it sorta just bugged me at the back of my head, it wasn't until Dual Destinies' Nine Tails Vale (Kurain Village is a close second) that it sorta put me off the most.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 15, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Case 5 Trial 1 THIS MOTHERFUCKER PULLED A FAREWELL MY TURNABOUT

DHURKE OBJECTION DHURKE OBJECTION

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Uh actually it owns that Los Angeles has a vibrant and popular Rakugo scene

E: Also it was established in the very first case of the series as being on the west coast of the United States thanks to the whole Cindy Stone Thinker time difference thing

It was in 1-5 that it specifically got placed in LA thanks to a throwaway line in reference to Jake Marshall (I forget what it was specifically, something like Phoenix thinking "This is Los Angeles, not the Wild West")

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 15, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's been mentioned in earlier games. (Trying to remember which game, I want to say Apollo Justice, but it could have been earlier than that)

It was a pretty important plot point in case 1 of game 1.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Los Angeles has a large community of Japanese immigrants who Blackquill spends all his time with.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, California has the second-highest Japanese-American population in the country, so yeah.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Something that's cool in case 5 trial day 2: On one of the insights if you present the laughter as evidence that the crime didn't happen at 3PM you get shot down since laughter isn't an uncommon thing in the bazaar, but don't get a penalty. Are there any other reasonable but wrong answers that don't penalize you in the game?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Something that's cool in case 5 trial day 2: On one of the insights if you present the laughter as evidence that the crime didn't happen at 3PM you get shot down since laughter isn't an uncommon thing in the bazaar, but don't get a penalty. Are there any other reasonable but wrong answers that don't penalize you in the game?
In case 4 there's an object in a photo you can point to that sounds plausible and then gets shot down but then you get another chance

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
why is this game titled phoenix wright even

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the most important thing about AA6 is that they pretend to retire the ladder/stepladder segment and then reintroduce it several times with different objects and I approve

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

alcharagia posted:

marketing

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

alcharagia posted:

Because people didn't like Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney.

Honestly, at this point, they should just drop the names from the title. Just go Ace Attorney.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
but apollo is clearly the main character...!!!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The localization team backed themselves into a corner with their branding of the first four games is why.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

alcharagia posted:

It's an elaborate ruse and you need to find the contradiction within it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Turnabout Courtroom

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It really started with the first game the first game. Phoenix Wright was front and center on the logo, then they announced GyakuSai 4 before JFA and they were all "poo poo" so they refocused the brand as Ace Attorney, but they still had to have the name thing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

alcharagia posted:

Literally because that's what rakes in the big bucks

I'm fine with it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Clarste posted:

Turnabout Courtroom

Surviban
Boogie-Woogie Innocence
Bingo Bengo
Let's Raise Hamsters

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Anime Law & Order, written by Speed Weed.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

alcharagia posted:

but apollo is clearly the main character...!!!
even still, phoenix is heavily involved in 3 of 5 cases

AA6 coulda been called Maya's Minor Cameo

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

even still, phoenix is heavily involved in 3 of 5 cases

So is Athena!

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Dunno why it's Phoenix in the title since blackquill appears to be a better defense lawyer than most of the cast.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm having a bit of trouble in Case 5, namely: how do I open the drat box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Carlosologist posted:

I'm having a bit of trouble in Case 5, namely: how do I open the drat box?

Hint:
You can sit between two pictures

More explicit:
The third one goes between the tiger with crowd and the dragon with priestess