Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

catlord posted:

I'm playing with a Radeon HD 6650M and can play New Order on medium settings, more or less, well. I tried the Doom demo and kinda got it to work if I set the options to make it looks somewhat like I was playing DOS Quake. So to answer your question, assuming you're not super, super out of date with video cards, they should, but how well is a bit more up in the air.

I'll play on low i don't mind i just wanna shoot da mans. I already pulled the trigger on new order before i thought to check on min specs cuz i didn't think I'd be below that but oops hopefully i dont get hit with a screen ssying lol get out of here with this scrub tier hardware after downloading all that :(

Internet Friend posted:

Doom has a demo you can try.

Good idea i forgot about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

site posted:

I'll play on low i don't mind i just wanna shoot da mans. I already pulled the trigger on new order before i thought to check on min specs cuz i didn't think I'd be below that but oops hopefully i dont get hit with a screen ssying lol get out of here with this scrub tier hardware after downloading all that :(
Nah, usually you get hit with a screen showcasing gameplay, instead.

You then get another screen showing more gameplay a few seconds later. Then another, then another...

This summarizes my initial interactions with Half-Life 2's demo. Well, that and the part where one of the windows became a wireframe when Father Grigori shot a zombie through it...

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

So how about that G-Man folks? He's always all mysterious in the background, what's he up to? That scamp.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
personally I think video games are good

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I concur, also Max Knight: Ultra Spy is good. (awesome b-movie where they go into the game Half-Life!)

[as seen in the middle of this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku5S2EEcgWw&list=PL39431A9847F15C7E&index=9]

Whole movie is worth a watch or three though!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

:eyepop:

"I suck at this game, I've never made it past level 1!"

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Heavy Metal posted:

I concur, also Max Knight: Ultra Spy is good. (awesome b-movie where they go into the game Half-Life!)

[as seen in the middle of this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku5S2EEcgWw&list=PL39431A9847F15C7E&index=9]

Whole movie is worth a watch or three though!

"Max, you're in the game Half-Life."
"Half-Life? Great, I suck at this game. I've never made it past level one."

drat, you've got to be pretty bad at Half-Life if you can't get pass the tram section.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That guy looks a lot like Max Payne actually. Maybe that's what Max Payne was based off of.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think an argument can be made that all of Ubisoft's games assume it's your first time playing. They rarely compound on each other enough for me to justify playing everything in a series so my favorite "Far Cry" ends up being the first one I've played in 5 years then I never buy another one until I get that craving again.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I played Crysis and a few other "sandbox shooters" with "emergent gameplay" and was bored stiff.

It wasn't until Far Cry 3 that the formula really sang for me, mainly by removing all the frustration and tedium.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

RyokoTK posted:

That guy looks a lot like Max Payne actually. Maybe that's what Max Payne was based off of.

Max is actually based on Sam Lake, the guy who wrote the story or something.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So, trip report Wolfenstein does in fact run on a radeon 5870 with the lowest settings so i got to spend the night mowin down some nazis

The texture streaming is a little janky tho

Hopefully ill get away with doom as well but at least i have new order and im assuming old blood as well?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

site posted:

This is a serious long shot i know but i don't suppose anyone knows if wolfenstein new order and/or doom will even boot if i have a below minimum spec video card

I really really want to play them
Probably:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq8UUkWfshg

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

site posted:

So, trip report Wolfenstein does in fact run on a radeon 5870 with the lowest settings so i got to spend the night mowin down some nazis

The texture streaming is a little janky tho

Hopefully ill get away with doom as well but at least i have new order and im assuming old blood as well?

Old Blood runs well for me as well, it should do fine if you're running New Order on the same settings. Like I said, I kinda got Doom4 running, but it looked like a DOS Quake mod and still ran at just sub-30, or at least that's what the FPS counter told me, though if you do get it running better than that I'd like to hear. I would love to pick it up.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm currently playing DOOM on a GeForce GTX 560 which I believe is very under spec. It actually runs great on Low. I did have some weird issues with the demo, though -- not sure if they patched it later or what.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

You can get DOOM running on below spec hardware. But.. it isn't pretty. This is the best I could do.

I gave up and bought the PS4 version.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I tried to run DOOM on a Athlon II X4 635 and the slowdown got pretty ludicrous in some stages. Eventually I just put it down, will have to try again later.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I gave up and bought the PS4 version.

Before I upgraded (660ti to 1060), the Doom 4 MP beta almost never hit 60fps on my machine, even on lower settings. I went with renting it on PS4, and it ran like a champ.

I'll probably buy the PC version when it's cheap later on now I've got a PC that can handle it maxed, though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Just one question, is Shakygrounds always like the start? Just running around dying by getting crushed until you learn the map? [I hit the switch at the parking lot and nothing happens at all. I'm using the last eduke32 build. Nevermind, just found where to go but not the best start when you stare outside while saying "woah, everything collapsing, how cool" then you get crushed.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 14, 2016

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

laserghost posted:

Are you going to make some kind of progress video or sth because I'm curious.

i haven't really made any progress with maps, ive been working on fixing poo poo and improving the 'feel' idk. the source wasnt really up to par with the released stuff but i've gotten it to that point and more imo. weird stuff like the ai and secrets being broken but they (mostly) work now. the maps aren't mine they're the old ones included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2PG3QSBIaA

some of it like the laser pointer code is decompiled and also vector math which is not exactly a thing ive done before so thats why the weapons don't have any bullet spread yet lol. and the shell clinking is a bit much i haven't tweaked it to sound good

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 14, 2016

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I have an i5 3470, 16gb of RAM and a GTX 660 OC2 and I can't even hit 60FPS at 1080P in Doom 4. Only game I can't play at 60FPS in TYOL 2016. No real excuse for that, considering it doesn't even look all that poo poo hot for the performance issues.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I just ran DO4M for the very first time on my toaster. Core2Duo E8400@3.20GHz, Asus GT730 2GB DDR3. 4GB RAM, Win7 Pro 64bit. I had to disable absolutely everything and set 640x480 resolution, the game loads for good minute before the logos start to appear, all the menus are nearly unreadable... but it loving works, and quite smooth at that. When things go hefty, it slows down a'la Painkiller, without loosing the smoothness. I'm absolutely amazed at the technical prowess of the devs.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Faffel posted:

I have an i5 3470, 16gb of RAM and a GTX 660 OC2 and I can't even hit 60FPS at 1080P in Doom 4. Only game I can't play at 60FPS in TYOL 2016. No real excuse for that, considering it doesn't even look all that poo poo hot for the performance issues.

It's a VRAM issue, at least according to DigitalFoundry's testing on lower-end hardware. The game just doesn't handle well with 2gb. Apparently any 3gb or higher card will run it like a champ.

Once you eliminate that bottleneck it should run at 60 on most PCs.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

nigga crab pollock posted:

i haven't really made any progress with maps, ive been working on fixing poo poo and improving the 'feel' idk. the source wasnt really up to par with the released stuff but i've gotten it to that point and more imo. weird stuff like the ai and secrets being broken but they (mostly) work now. the maps aren't mine they're the old ones included.

some of it like the laser pointer code is decompiled and also vector math which is not exactly a thing ive done before so thats why the weapons don't have any bullet spread yet lol. and the shell clinking is a bit much i haven't tweaked it to sound good

Is this mod made by the same guys that made Counter-Strike years later? For some reason the USP and MP5 models are really familiar (along with the left handed stance).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dominic White posted:

It's a VRAM issue, at least according to DigitalFoundry's testing on lower-end hardware. The game just doesn't handle well with 2gb. Apparently any 3gb or higher card will run it like a champ.

I have 512mb/1gb on my computer, and my wife's (respectively).

We have zero chance of ever running Doom without an upgrade :allears:

Ah well, I actually love and appreciate the constant flow of new mod content coming in for Original Doom.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

nigga crab pollock posted:

The left-handed character gave me a flashback to Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza and drat you for that.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Dominic White posted:

Wait you need over two Gigs of ram? How much video memory do the X one and ps4 have again ?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Guillermus posted:

Is this mod made by the same guys that made Counter-Strike years later? For some reason the USP and MP5 models are really familiar (along with the left handed stance).

It is.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Guillermus posted:

Yes, Navy Seals was done by Gooseman, who then contributed models to Action Quake 2 before moving on to Counterstrike.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

nftyw posted:

Wait you need over two Gigs of ram? How much video memory do the X one and ps4 have again ?

They both use a shared pool of 8 GB of RAM (with at least 2 GB reserved for system use because they can both run other applications at the same time as a game) for the CPU and GPU, which are integrated on the same chip die. There's additional caching RAM but that doesn't really matter.

It's typical for 2 or 3 GB of that available RAM to be "dedicated" to the video stuff.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
My video card only has 512 MB of RAM, so I'm not sure what the deal is. I'm too lazy to go check what my processor is, but I haven't upgraded anything since I was playing all them "Cry" games we were just talkin' about.

Like I alluded to before, the demo of DOOM had an issue that made it nearly unplayable on my PC -- it would grind to a choppy slog every few minutes even on Low. But I was given the full version as a gift and to my pleasant surprise, it worked a million times better (still on Low of course). I think in between, they released the first major patch for the game, so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. (Before anyone asks, I'm not using the Vulkan API. But it was part of that patch.)

I have no idea if they've also been patching the demo, so I guess it's kind of a crapshoot of anecdotal evidence unless you bite the bullet and try it yourself.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm pretty sure some of the hell energy they talk about in the game is used for making it work so drat well.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

fishmech posted:

They both use a shared pool of 8 GB of RAM (with at least 2 GB reserved for system use because they can both run other applications at the same time as a game) for the CPU and GPU, which are integrated on the same chip die. There's additional caching RAM but that doesn't really matter.

It's typical for 2 or 3 GB of that available RAM to be "dedicated" to the video stuff.

Yeah, they probably allocate JUST enough VRAM out of the memory pool on consoles to hit a constant 60fps. They're not having to deal with hardware variance on PS4, at least. Plus they can probably code a little closer to the metal on console.

The PC version is just a bit of a VRAM hog. The moment you hit 3gb (even the budget cut-down $200 1060 now has that) you're golden.

Still, they did patch it quite a bit after release, so maybe it's not bottlenecked as bad as it used to be.

Edit: Oh yeah, if you're looking for a Magic Bullet type upgrade to get most modern games running 1080p 60fps, max detail, the GTX 1060 is it. $200 for the budget version, $250 for more VRAM/cooling (futureproofing, mostly). It's more powerful than the old 980 at under half the price.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 15, 2016

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

al-azad posted:

The left-handed character gave me a flashback to Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza and drat you for that.
That bad of an adaptation, then?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza is really... uh... good-bad. It's bad, but enjoyable bad. At least, I thought it was.

edit: Which of the classic Die Hard games is the one where you have a foot health bar?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza is really... uh... good-bad. It's bad, but enjoyable bad. At least, I thought it was.

edit: Which of the classic Die Hard games is the one where you have a foot health bar?

The NES one. I unironically like Die Hard Trilogy, 1/3 of which I would call "first person" and "shooter", same with Die Hard Trilogy 2.

Shadow Hog posted:

That bad of an adaptation, then?

Honestly it looks like a good adaption of a bad movie!

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I might have to try some tweaks on Doom 4 for my PC and replay it at 60FPS. Trying to play The New Blood but it's pretty dull so far. I just like the evulsion wounds.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

al-azad posted:

The NES one. I unironically like Die Hard Trilogy, 1/3 of which I would call "first person" and "shooter", same with Die Hard Trilogy 2.

Honestly it looks like a good adaption of a bad movie!

I liked Die Hard Trilogy too :hfive: I never did play the second one because reviews said it was the same as the first but not even as good. I know that Probe developed the first one and N-Space did the second.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

CJacobs posted:

That's the NES one.

It's actually a pretty ambitious game in its own right, but it really overreached (since it's on the NES) so it's kinda... not great.

But honestly I think it's a pretty cool and unique game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I imagine the best Die Hard game is Die Hard Arcade, anyway

And that's not even a Die Hard game, strictly

Nor is it an FPS, so let's disregard that