Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

computer parts posted:

Yeah, monopolies are forced to treat their employees well.

Then I hope it drives cabs out of business, and then gets cracked down on by the feds because it's a monopoly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KittyEmpress posted:

Then I hope it drives cabs out of business, and then gets cracked down on by the feds because it's a monopoly.

Take a guess who will be hired to run the newly spun off cab companies.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Lol, I like how "rocking out to music with my Uber driver" is a plus point even though they are paid and treated like poo poo. KittyEmpress' post reads like an Uber ad.

Also for people near SF, have y'all seen the new AirBnB ads about how a lot of people in SF actually depend on AirBnB for income which they depend on? And how this isn't about them worsening a hosed up housing market, but actually helping out single moms and stuff?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

fits my needs posted:

Lol, I like how "rocking out to music with my Uber driver" is a plus point even though they are paid and treated like poo poo. KittyEmpress' post reads like an Uber ad.

Also for people near SF, have y'all seen the new AirBnB ads about how a lot of people in SF actually depend on AirBnB for income which they depend on? And how this isn't about them worsening a hosed up housing market, but actually helping out single moms and stuff?

They had the same ad in Chicago when the city council was debating some new rules regarding them.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Talking of "moms driving Ubers" I've seen plenty of women in my city driving Ubers and none ever driving a cab. Uber may be The Devil but somethings going on here - perhaps the cab companies were discriminating when hiring. Personally I like to have a mix of several different ways to get a cab so that they compete with each other. When I first moved to my city the only option was to phone a company for a rustbucket that may or may not arrive in about half an hour or 45 minutes. Now I can either hail a cab on the street or use an app to summon one to my door in minutes. And the cars are much nicer. Capitalism works best with plenty of competition.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BarbarianElephant posted:

Talking of "moms driving Ubers" I've seen plenty of women in my city driving Ubers and none ever driving a cab. Uber may be The Devil but somethings going on here - perhaps the cab companies were discriminating when hiring. Personally I like to have a mix of several different ways to get a cab so that they compete with each other. When I first moved to my city the only option was to phone a company for a rustbucket that may or may not arrive in about half an hour or 45 minutes. Now I can either hail a cab on the street or use an app to summon one to my door in minutes. And the cars are much nicer. Capitalism works best with plenty of competition.

when that competition includes firms who specifically flout labor laws so they can compete on the basis of paying substandard wages then you reallllllllly have to specify what you mean by "works best" or even what counts as successful

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Popular Thug Drink posted:

when that competition includes firms who specifically flout labor laws so they can compete on the basis of paying substandard wages then you reallllllllly have to specify what you mean by "works best" or even what counts as successful

Uber fares aren't much lower than other cab companies, and I would be happy to pay the same as other cab companies for the convenience. They actually annoyed me by cutting fares, because now I know I need to tip which means I need to have cash because their app doesn't have a tip section yet. I call Ubers because they come in 5 minutes rather than 45 and you can see on the app whether they are heading towards you, so you aren't standing on the kerb in the rain wondering if the taxi will ever come (with the old cab companies that people love so much, the answer was often "never"). And they have car seats which is very important to me as I'm usually with my kid. The other taxi firms, you just have to hold the kid on your lap and pray.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Uber fares aren't much lower than other cab companies, and I would be happy to pay the same as other cab companies for the convenience. They actually annoyed me by cutting fares, because now I know I need to tip which means I need to have cash because their app doesn't have a tip section yet. I call Ubers because they come in 5 minutes rather than 45 and you can see on the app whether they are heading towards you, so you aren't standing on the kerb in the rain wondering if the taxi will ever come (with the old cab companies that people love so much, the answer was often "never").

i'm glad that you find the exploitative service which actively avoids local regulations more convenient, but that doesn't have much to do with them actively avoiding local regulations and exploiting their employees

like, if there's a firm that follows local regulations, and one that doesn't, i typically don't stand back and say "hm, this is some excellent free market competition right here, kudos" because in my opinion it is important for all entrants to a market to adhere to the same set of rules and regulations governing their market behavior. but thats just me

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

i'm glad that you find the exploitative service which actively avoids local regulations more convenient, but that doesn't have much to do with them actively avoiding local regulations and exploiting their employees

But my point is, there's no need for them to do so. I'm not laughing evilly about how much I'm screwing the driver when I hail an Uber. I'm thinking about how nice it will be to get home in half an hour rather than an hour, and with my kid in a car seat rather than bouncing on my lap. I don't want to go back to the bad old days because government can't be arsed to regulate new technologies and would find it easier to ban them.

Frankly I do more evil when I buy clothes "made in Bangladesh"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

But my point is, there's no need for them to do so. I'm not laughing evilly about how much I'm screwing the driver when I hail an Uber. I'm thinking about how nice it will be to get home in half an hour rather than an hour, and with my kid in a car seat rather than bouncing on my lap. I don't want to go back to the bad old days because government can't be arsed to regulate new technologies and would find it easier to ban them.

you can't displace this bad behavior on "government not regulating taxis which use an app" when uber is specifically structuring itself so as to have one foot on both sides of "is an employee/is a contractor". somehow lyft doesn't have these same problems and they also use an app, hmm, maybe vacatly complaining about luddites isn't the actual problem here and uber is actually a lovely company

if you want to patronize a lovely company because it's more convenient for you that's your right but don't crap easily refuted rationalizations out itt like it's not totally obvious

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
If Lyft is the fair trade version of this I'll check it out.

Just checked it out. Lyft's policy on car seats

"We're happy to give kids a ride as well as adults, as long as your children have the proper car seats that fit legal requirements according to state or city law. You should plan on providing your own car seat for children that require one."

Uh uh, no I'm not carrying a 50lb car seat around with me Lyft.

Still gonna Uber.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
having a toddler myself "does this taxi come with its own car seat" is an extremely niche market. like you can get a stroller that attaches to a car seat for about a hundred bucks for a decent one, which shouldn't be outside of your budget if you're using a taxi this often anyway and you often find yourself sharing a taxi with your young child

not that i'm trying to tell you your business, but "i need a taxi with a car seat" is a far more specific demand than the person earlier itt who disliked taxis because they smelled like smoke

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 14, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

computer parts posted:

Yeah, monopolies are forced to treat their employees well.

"employees?"

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

having a toddler myself "does this taxi come with its own car seat" is an extremely niche market. like you can get a stroller that attaches to a car seat for about a hundred bucks for a decent one, which shouldn't be outside of your budget if you're using a taxi this often anyway

I did research this and it's more difficult than that. You can get strollers that attach to a car seat for an infant under 6 months. You can get a sort of "wheel apparatus" that attaches to larger car seats, but it's not really a stroller, more like wheeled luggage. It's suitable for dragging the car seat through airports, but you can't really describe it as a stroller. When my kid is bigger I can get an inflatable booster which should free me up to use the Sainted Lyft.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010
Going to be bold here. I don't care whether Uber follows local regs or whether goony goons think Uber employees are being exploited. People can choose for themselves whether it makes sense for them to drive, and their personal cars are no less safe than many cabs I've been in.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
it's not really bold to say you don't care about other people. in fact that's a pretty common opinion that doesn't take any particular level of bravery

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

it's not really bold to say you don't care about other people. in fact that's a pretty common opinion that doesn't take any particular level of bravery

I think other people are adults capable of making their own choices. Not a popular opinion here on dee and dee.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

wateroverfire posted:

I think other people are adults capable of making their own choices. Not a popular opinion here on dee and dee.

He's not wrong though. It's not bold or brave at all and acutally matches well with phrases like "adults capable of making their own choices" which goes great when people talk about healthcare and 'just don't get sick, lol'.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

wateroverfire posted:

this is super lazy concern trolling, you should be ashamed. have some self respect and try harder next time

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Buckwheat Sings posted:

He's not wrong though. It's not bold or brave at all and acutally matches well with phrases like "adults capable of making their own choices" which goes great when people talk about healthcare and 'just don't get sick, lol'.

Just don't sign up to drive with Uber is the new just don't get sick, I guess?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

KittyEmpress posted:

When did the feds last split up a monopoly?

I mean, Amazon should probably be the target of antitrust legislation too, but lol if you think that'll happen. In fact, Uber's long-term strategy is almost certainly to imitate Amazon (wipe out the competition by undercutting it using investor capital, establish a monopoly, jack up prices). They've just added being the shittiest imaginable employer to that mix to help cut costs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Did Amazon jack up prices?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Speaking as someone who lived in a six-unit apartment building, two of which were rented by someone to let on airbnb:

airbnb guests are loving annoying. It's not like having short-term rentals. People don't rent apartments for two days, they rent them for two months. In an old building, having newcomers bumping suitcases up and stairs, getting confused about parking, all that stuff that you put up with in hotels, in your actual apartment life, really sucks. The fact that it drives rent up in city centers compounds the badness.

Basically, gently caress Airbnb and everything about it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

No, but wait until they hit a point where they actually need to start showing a profit.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

They go the other direction and grind down suppliers / payouts while forcing you, as a supplier, to maintain the same price.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lead out in cuffs posted:

No, but wait until they hit a point where they actually need to start showing a profit.

They made $900M in profit last quarter.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

They made $900M in profit last quarter.

Almost entirely from AWS.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I'm going to guess that that's moms who are being supported by a husband doing it for extra scratch. Pretty sure you can just set your own hours with Uber; the pay is still poo poo but if you don't need it then it's just something you can do whenever you're short a few dollars for something you want.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

When did the feds last split up a monopoly?

I mean, Amazon should probably be the target of antitrust legislation too, but lol if you think that'll happen. In fact, Uber's long-term strategy is almost certainly to imitate Amazon (wipe out the competition by undercutting it using investor capital, establish a monopoly, jack up prices). They've just added being the shittiest imaginable employer to that mix to help cut costs.

https://www.justice.gov/atr/antitrust-case-filings

There you go.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Almost entirely from AWS.

I don't think that Amazon is really losing money on each sale. Jeff Bezos, being a megalo-maniac, takes the profits and reinvests it into the business so that the business can offer even more products and services. If Amazon were to stop trying out new things, they'd probably be a pretty profitable company.

That's very different from selling everything at a loss and hoping that their competition goes away so they can raise price and be profitable. Amazon's prices actually aren't really that great for a lot of their products, but they are incredibly convenient and have great customer service.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Amazon actually provides legal services, too.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Jesus goons, you can admit that Uber provides a superior user experience than typical cabs without endorsing all their labor practices. It doesn't make you some pampered suburbanite to prefer a more convient and pleasant experience over a shittier one that's more of a hassle.

Like I 100% agree that the "you're an independent contractor (that we totally control)" dance is hosed up, but you can't really blame people for picking the option that's better for them as a consumer.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

themrguy posted:

Jesus goons, you can admit that Uber provides a superior user experience than typical cabs without endorsing all their labor practices. It doesn't make you some pampered suburbanite to prefer a more convient and pleasant experience over a shittier one that's more of a hassle.

Like I 100% agree that the "you're an independent contractor (that we totally control)" dance is hosed up, but you can't really blame people for picking the option that's better for them as a consumer.

Unless you want to increase your chances of literally getting raped then take an Uber!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm hoping we end up getting something eventually between Uber and cabs, convenient, moderately priced and low paying though not labor law violating work.

Why aren't there apps where the drivers themselves can set their prices? Then at least the cost and pay is what the market will bear in that area.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Unless you want to increase your chances of literally getting raped then take an Uber!

that's why you pay the safe driver fee of course

that way they make extra sure a felon isn't your driver

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

themrguy posted:

It's not superior to the main cab company in my town? Sorry you're stuck with lovely cabs.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that's why you pay the safe driver fee of course

that way they make extra sure a felon isn't your driver

They should also offer a fee to do a real background check

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Why aren't there apps where the drivers themselves can set their prices? Then at least the cost and pay is what the market will bear in that area.

Would be a huge pita for the users.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Passengers being victims, something that had never happened before Uber.

duz posted:

It's not superior to the main cab company in my town? Sorry you're stuck with lovely cabs.

Good for you. I think the success of Uber and Lyft shows that your experience is the exception and not the rule.
Not having to carry cash (or anything besides your phone), knowing how far away the car is, having a GPS record of the trip in case some dispute comes up, and having driver ratings are all legit benefits for the consumer over conventional cabs. Not to mention having generally nicer cars and cheaper rides with stuff like uber pool.

Like I said, I agree that their labor stuff is hosed up. I use Lyft rather than Uber because as I understand it they're better on that front, although I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they had some skeletons in their closets as well.

But to act like it's totally incomprehensible why the average person wouldn't want the more convenient option is loving weird. I've used both normal cans and uber/lyft and I 100% know which I prefer strictly from an experience standpoint.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

themrguy posted:

except for the times my uber driver gets lost, or shows up high, or asks my female friends for their number

but hey, smartphone app! it's new! novelty impresses me!

themrguy posted:

But to act like it's totally incomprehensible why the average person wouldn't want the more convenient option is loving weird. I've used both normal cans and uber/lyft and I 100% know which I prefer strictly from an experience standpoint.

hm, it's almost like you're deliberately misinterpreting people's posts so you can throw a tantrum. huh. weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

except for the times my uber driver gets lost, or shows up high, or asks my female friends for their number

but hey, smartphone app! it's new! novelty impresses me!

The first is generally less common with iber due to the navigation. The difference being London where the cabbies loving know everything.

The other two happen in cabs as well, though I don't know the rate of either.