Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

MrChips posted:

How prevalent are single-pilot IFR operations in the US? Here in Canada at least the insurance companies have made it so prohibitively expensive that it's cheaper and easier to hire a first officer.

They're really common for cargo, less so for passengers.

Most of the small cargo carriers fly Beech 1900's Beech 99's, Caravans, Metroliners, or Chieftans that can be flown single pilot, but some of the companies will use FO's on occasion, and there are some larger airplanes (ATR-42's, some older Lear models) that always use two person crews.

For passenger operations, there are a lot of Cessna 206/207/208's doing single pilot IFR in Alaska (usually legally), and a few companies with similar setups in the lower 48 (plus Cape Air), but most of the commercial single pilot IFR is probably flown by charter operations or corporate flight departments that have single pilot airplanes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
I did a couple interviews with Boutique back in May with a little under 500 TT for the new Minneapolis base but nothing came of it. Really wanted to fly the PC-12. Seems like a great way to build experience before moving to the regionals. You'd show up with turbine time, multi-crew experience, "line" experience. Would be a good transition to a regional when compared to 1500 hours of slow flight in a 172. But after passing 750 TT yesterday I'm expect to stick with flight instruction until 1500.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Don't sweat the lack of turbine time. As long as you will meet ATP mins by the end of training and aren't a serial killer pretty much any regional will give you an interview at the moment.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

KodiakRS posted:

Don't sweat the lack of turbine time. As long as you will meet ATP mins by the end of training and aren't a serial killer pretty much any regional will give you an interview at the moment.

And even then GoJet might turn a blind eye if they think you are smart enough not get caught until they net profit out of you

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

As long as no one found the bodies before you got off probation, I'm pretty sure most regionals would hire a serial killer that had ATP mins.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
There are a lot of single pilot air ambulance operators.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

greasyhands posted:

That may also be for weight reasons...

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

greasyhands posted:

Still gotta have IFR 135 mins though, and most air ambo places are still wanting at least ATP mins or closer to 2000 total with multi time and hard IFR experience. If you really can't wait until you've got ATP minimums go fly freight for Ameriflight or any of the other small box haulers. Well, not any of them but you get the idea.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

VOR LOC posted:

Still gotta have IFR 135 mins though, and most air ambo places are still wanting at least ATP mins or closer to 2000 total with multi time and hard IFR experience. If you really can't wait until you've got ATP minimums go fly freight for Ameriflight or any of the other small box haulers. Well, not any of them but you get the idea.

I think it was just in response to "are there many single-pilot IFR operations in the US?", not saying that air ambulance was necessarily a realistic stepping stone between CPL and ATPL.

In other news, my hernia is repaired, I'm nearly healed, and I get to renew my medical and get back in the fuckin' air real soon! I'm getting real excited now, like I was when I originally planned to do this but before I found out I needed a surgery first! With any luck, I'll be flying by the beginning of October; I just need to find out whether I need to be "fully recovered" in order to get my medical renewed. I feel capable of operating the flight controls now, but I'm not considered fully recovered for another two weeks or so.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

PT6A posted:

I think it was just in response to "are there many single-pilot IFR operations in the US?", not saying that air ambulance was necessarily a realistic stepping stone between CPL and ATPL.

Whoops my b.

quote:

In other news, my hernia is repaired, I'm nearly healed, and I get to renew my medical and get back in the fuckin' air real soon! I'm getting real excited now, like I was when I originally planned to do this but before I found out I needed a surgery first! With any luck, I'll be flying by the beginning of October; I just need to find out whether I need to be "fully recovered" in order to get my medical renewed. I feel capable of operating the flight controls now, but I'm not considered fully recovered for another two weeks or so.

Good luck man!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PSA just shot to the top of the charts when it comes to first year F/O pay:

quote:

Details of the new compensation package include a 56 percent increase to the starting pay for new-hire First Officers, increasing wages from $24.62 per hour to $38.50 per hour. The airline will continue offering all new-hire pilots a $15,000 sign-on bonus, with an additional $5,000 for new-hire pilots with CRJ-type experience. PSA is also implementing a $20,000 retention bonus for First Officers hired under this new program to be paid out in installments after their one-year anniversary with the company

With these changes, first-year pay for new-hire pilots now tops the regional industry at $58,500, plus an additional $3,000 with a commuter hotel allowance program implemented earlier this year. A pilot starting their commercial aviation career with PSA can reasonably expect to reach Captain and earn between $165,000 and $175,000 in compensation for their first three years of service with the company.

Desperation is a stinky cologne. This is going to make Blue Streak even more popular; they were looked at as sellouts and now they're getting a raise.

http://www.psaairlines.com/psa-airlines-announces-industry-leading-pay-for-new-hire-pilots/

I forget who it was in the thread that used the phrase, but there really is a "lost generation" of new-hire pilots who got stuck with ~$15,000/yr starting pay only to have guys a few years later be paid $50+.

e- APC suggests there's some smoke and mirrors going on and it's not as good a deal as it appears, which I can believe.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 14, 2016

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Envoy just got the same deal (edit: similar deal)

ENY posted:

· Increased starting pay for new hire pilots of $37.90, effectively beginning our new hires at Step 3 of our existing pay scale. Combined with our $15,000 signing bonus or $20,000 signing bonus for legacy fleets, this places Envoy at the top of all regional airlines in terms of pilot compensation, earning $58,000 or more during the first year.

· All current Envoy First Officers who are on Step 1 of the pay scale will also move to the new starting rate of $37.90 (Step 3). This provides equity for our current employees, as we work to bring new pilots onboard. And as you know, new pilots joining our pilot ranks will only improve the pace of career progression for our existing pilots. Current FOs who are on Step 2 of the pay scale will move to Step 4; current FOs on Step 3 will move to Step 5; and current FOs on Step 4 will move to Step 5.

· We will extend the $20,000 First Officer retention bonus to all pilots hired after March 1, 2016 – and to all new hires – after they have completed one year of service. (This will be in addition to moving from Step 1 and 2 to Step 3 on the pay scale.) It will be paid in $2,500 increments at the end of each three month period, the same as the $20,000 bonus provided to Envoy pilots on payroll as of March 1.

· First Officers at pay Step 5, or above, as of the date of signing shall be eligible to a single Captain Upgrade Bonus of $2,500 payable 30 days after such pilot completes IOE and revenue service as a Captain. This will be in addition to their existing $20,000 First Officer retention bonus.

· Envoy will provide all current Captains with a $7,500 retention bonus, payable in three $2,500 increments. Each $2,500 bonus will be paid approximately 30 days after each eligibility period, with the last payment being made January 25, 2017. Any Captain who flows to American before receiving the full $7,500 retention bonus will receive their balance in a lump sum at the time final wages are issued from Envoy.

TL;DR
$37.9/hour 1st year pay
$15k/20k signing bonus dependent on experience
$20k bonus spread over years 2/3

and to the surprise of pretty much no one pilots are already bitching about it on various forums and social media because :pilots:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
All this talk of pilot pay not sucking all of a sudden is making me wonder if I should just say gently caress it and get my CPL...

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Meanwhile, Horizon is baffled as to why no one wants to fly the Q400 (on six leg, 12 hour days) for $31 an hour, with no signing, flow, or retention bonuses.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Who has dramatically taken first-year salaries up so far? I can think of Endeavor, PSA, and Envoy, all of which are major-owned.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I know Skywest raised their starting pay not long ago, and Compass, Republic, Great Lakes, ExJet and TSA have all raised their FO pay as well.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Compass did commuter hotels in addition to a $36 hr 1st year FO pay, which was good at the time but with all the latest action w/ endeavor/envoy/PSA etc isn't as competitive right now. But my good buddy is a recruiter and says they are still being pretty picky and don't need to hire that many. I think right now we're coasting pretty hardcore off the west coast bases/nice airplane and attrition had slowed down over the summer.... At the same time I think it's a mistake to slow down hiring at all because this is evidence of how bad it's going to cost them. They can raise the first year pay to $41 at any time without union approval, but even that may not be enough if there are large bonuses. I have a friend that just got hired at DL, another hired at Fedex, I think our attrition is about to go through the roof and they're going to be on the backside of the power curve... as a 2nd year FO though I still get a raise if they raise the first year pay to $41 cause right now 2nd year is at $38 and if they raise 1st year, they have to raise 2nd year as well. Kind of a moot point when I upgrade in February, but... :woop:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

EvilJoven posted:

All this talk of pilot pay not sucking all of a sudden is making me wonder if I should just say gently caress it and get my CPL...

We've been through this before. Things still suck in Canada (at least compared to literally every other industry, that is).

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I'm willing to gay marry a Canadian so you can come work in the US for one of the regionals on a green card. But you have to be willing to do butt stuff.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

azflyboy posted:

I know Skywest raised their starting pay not long ago, and Compass, Republic, Great Lakes, ExJet and TSA have all raised their FO pay as well.

$36.50/hour for us at OO with the only bonus available being $7500 if already typed in a RJ of some sort.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

One kid is putting all our childhood avgeekery to shame:

https://www.facebook.com/Allegiant/photos/a.322137632605.156118.53960272605/10153858891872606/?type=3

Allegiant is hinting cute F/A Anna is going.

Dear Delta,

My name is CBJ and I have seen Lisa the Flight Attendant, whose name I know thanks to the Pop-Up Video safety video, on your safety videos plenty of times. My 29th birthday is next week and I can't tell if she's Italian or half-Asian, but she is fine as hell. Maybe you could set us up since I spend my fair share of money on your carrier each year anyway?
You owe me after the bullshit the school bearing your name pulled.

Your friend,
CBJ

Reference material:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aVz_d5l5ns

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 16, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Dear Delta,

My name is CBJ and I have seen Lisa the Flight Attendant, whose name I know thanks to the Pop-Up Video safety video, on your safety videos plenty of times. My 29th birthday is next week and I can't tell if she's Italian or half-Asian, but she is fine as hell. Maybe you could set us up since I spend my fair share of money on your carrier each year anyway?

Your friend,
CBJ

Reference material:

Somehow this is even creepier than the "Deltalina" sightings thread that flyertalk used to have.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Somehow this is even creepier than the "Deltalina" sightings thread that flyertalk used to have.

Eh, I probably whiffed with my attempt at humor trying to cash on on the kid and his note.

I'm surprised she didn't come up constantly on FT, to be honest.

E- I actually saw Deltalina before anybody, including me, knew who she was. She was on the static 757 on display at the Dayton Air Show which was parked next to our tent. I put two and two together when she became popular. All I know is she really wanted to see inside the AN-124.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 16, 2016

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Do any of you have the NTSB link to where the aircraft crashed due to, ahem, extra curricular activities not related to flying?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

CBJSprague24 posted:

One kid is putting all our childhood avgeekery to shame:

https://www.facebook.com/Allegiant/photos/a.322137632605.156118.53960272605/10153858891872606/?type=3

Allegiant is hinting cute F/A Anna is going.

Dear Delta,

You owe me after the bullshit the school bearing your name pulled.

Your friend,
CBJ

Reference material:

Interesting about-face after this incident earlier this year.

Also, that end of the Delta safety video doesn't inspire confidence for applying there, I don't have a mustache nor plan on growing one :(

xaarman posted:

Do any of you have the NTSB link to where the aircraft crashed due to, ahem, extra curricular activities not related to flying?

Your're talking about the "air-head" incident yeah?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well you're also presumably not Abdul Jabbar

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Booked Tuesday off for my last polishing up dual time and some pre test brief. Wednesday is flight test.

Then I probably won't fly again until spring. We just took possession of a house yesterday.

2016, the year I spent all my money.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EvilJoven posted:

Booked Tuesday off for my last polishing up dual time and some pre test brief. Wednesday is flight test.

Then I probably won't fly again until spring. We just took possession of a house yesterday.

2016, the year I spent all my money.

Good luck! You picked an expensive hobby, but it's a very fun one at least.

I've got my first ground briefing booked for the 27th, and hopefully the first flight soon after that. I'm getting excited, but I'm a bit anxious about how much I will have forgotten in the past decade of no flying. Hopefully I'm not a complete dunce.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I just came back from too long off for my own liking. My instructor got booked by every student so my only slots were 7am once a week when I stopped. Now I have a new instructor with a wide open sched so hopefully flight test soon.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I don't think I ever had a 7am lesson as a student, but I remember a couple 8am's and always liked flying in the morning hours when the Sun's still on the way up and the world feels still. Early slots at DAY had the added bonus of getting to watch Comair pull the CRJs out of the MX hangar across the ramp and crank them up to send them on their way.

That said, 10am slots (when it was just me renting the plane to build time) always felt like the right balance of not too early, but not too hot/bumpy.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Welp I failed my MEI check ride because I couldn't remember if the ELT inspection was 12 or 24 months and what the date for battery replacement criteria was, knew it was an hour of cumulative use and the date was based off the age of the batteries but couldn't remember the specifics. And after giving him 90% of the answer, he wouldn't let me look it up in the FAR because "I should know it off of the top of my head because I'm a CFI" this after going through all of the oral portion without looking a single thing up. Because god forbid you have a brain fart and can't remember something verbatim that's not related to the immediate safety of flight.

Of course it isn't until afterwords I find out from all of my coworkers, CFI friends, and another DPE I know that this guy has a reputation for digging in to obscurities and minutiae, until he finds something asinine he can fail you on. Needless to say I won't be taking him up on his "reduced" retest rate and will be going with a different DPE. I've been through my fair share of check rides and examiners in my career and this guy was a piece of work. On the plus side I didn't need my MEI before starting training for my new job on Monday, and was just doing it to do it (because I am a sick individual and like instructing)

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Hahahahaha wow I'm never going for any instructor ratings ever, christ.

(sorry dude)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

overdesigned posted:

Hahahahaha wow I'm never going for any instructor ratings ever, christ.

(sorry dude)

Instructor add-ons after initial CFI are generally a piece of cake, I spoke to another DPE I know (who wasn't able to do this ride unfortunately) and his exact words were an angrily toned "HE FAILED YOU FOR WHAT" This ride going so deep in to asinine minutiae was a bit unusual, as the add-ons generally focus on things pertaining to the specific rating you're going for, not random other things. Which is why he caught me off guard with the question. Failing CFI add-ons is kind of a rare deal.

A similar example (though not quite the same) would be like a DPE asking you private pilot focused question on an instrument ride, like VFR cloud clearance or something, then failing you if you had to look it up. Technically not out of the scope of what they can ask you if it's from the special emphasis areas (which thanks to the catch all of "Other areas deemed appropriate to any phase of the practical test" could be literally anything) but it's still kind of a dick move.

Myself and no one I know has ever heard of a DPE not letting you look up one or two things if it's not critical to the immediate safety of flight. I even brought that up with him when he wouldn't let me look it up, like hey if I have any question about anything prior to a flight I will look it up for the exact verbiage. Like I said this guy was a piece of work, more focus on rote knowledge than safety of flight and understanding of where to find information if one needs it. I will never send a student his way, and will warn any CFIs I know of his antics as well.

*edited for clarity

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 18, 2016

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Dang that sucks. Just remember, check ride busts are like assholes; most people have one and they all stink.

I've never been a fan of re-testing with the same DPE. Between the examiner and the applicant there's too high of a chance of at least one person bringing animosity or resentment in from the last examination. Better to use someone who wasn't involved in the first attempt.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I'll get over it, I'll just be grumpy about it until I pass the retest.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
That guy is a prick. Some DPEs are, unfortunately. There's nothing wrong with looking poo poo up. Yes there comes a point where if you're looking everything up, you aren't demonstrating mastery but the old PTS had terminology such as "uses all available resources..." and even included references etc. Also, a good DPE would just say "nope, try again".

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

xaarman posted:

Is this the one you're looking for?

http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20001212X18632

quote:

THE PRIVATE PILOT AND A PILOT RATED PASSENGER WERE GOING TO PRACTICE SIMULATED INSTRUMENT FLIGHT. WITNESSES OBSERVED THE AIRPLANE'S RIGHT WING FAIL IN A DIVE AND CRASH. EXAMINATION OF THE WRECKAGE AND BODIES REVEALED THAT BOTH OCCUPANTS WERE PARTIALLY CLOTHED AND THE FRONT RIGHT SEAT WAS IN THE FULL AFT RECLINING POSITION. NEITHER BODY SHOWED EVIDENCE OF SEATBELTS OR SHOULDER HARNESSES BEING WORN. EXAMINATION OF THE INDIVIDUALS' CLOTHING REVEALED NO EVIDENCE OF RIPPING OR DISTRESS TO THE ZIPPERS AND BELTS.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

THE PILOT IN COMMAND'S IMPROPER INFLIGHT DECISION TO DIVERT HER ATTENTION TO OTHER ACTIVITIES NOT RELATED TO THE CONDUCT OF THE FLIGHT. CONTRIBUTING TO THE ACCIDENT WAS THE EXCEEDING OF THE DESIGN LIMITS OF THE AIRPLANE LEADING TO A WING FAILURE.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Slaughter posted:

That guy is a prick. Some DPEs are, unfortunately. There's nothing wrong with looking poo poo up. Yes there comes a point where if you're looking everything up, you aren't demonstrating mastery but the old PTS had terminology such as "uses all available resources..." and even included references etc. Also, a good DPE would just say "nope, try again".

"Perfection is not the standard" is required to be briefed by the DPE before every check ride, wish I had been thinking on my feet well enough at that point to call him out on that.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

YES thank you sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just cancelled my flight test because all the work regarding this new house bullshit and the lack of time to practice meant my flying today was so lovely there's no loving way I'd pass my test tomorrow.

• Locked thread