Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Went to the library with my daughter today and discovered they have a Lego club that meets twice a month for the kiddos. Not only is this incredibly awesome and amazing, the sets they where playing with where 6 individual Mind Storm kits, I don't even have one of those and my library has 6 of them. Needless to say this is something my daughter and I will be attending often, I am going to break into my loose Lego bins and random car/truck sets that I have and I'm going to donate them to the library.

This just make me want my own Mind Storm set now but those are so expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
^^^ Speaking of which, I miss the Lego Dacta Technic simple machines ideas box set. (1030?)

Such a great set for schools and libraries to buy 20x of and pass around to kids.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

~Coxy posted:

^^^ Speaking of which, I miss the Lego Dacta Technic simple machines ideas box set. (1030?)

Such a great set for schools and libraries to buy 20x of and pass around to kids.

They basically still have them.

https://education.lego.com/en-us/elementary/shop/products

There's even one still called Simple Machines Set that costs less and has more pieces than the 1985 version.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I need a nicer/better storage solution for Lego. I see a lot of internet links regarding IKEA Trofast.
Wooden frames with basically different sized and color plastic bins as drawers.

This/basically:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3713/9620175534_567e0bac3c.jpg

Any other similarly-nice looking options along this line? Preferably not too much more expensive...

Or reasons I should or shouldn't go with Trofast?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 11, 2016

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Pyroclastic posted:

There's even one still called Simple Machines Set that costs less and has more pieces than the 1985 version.

$70 USD for 204 pieces? Why is this set so expensive?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Finished my Lepin GG.

Missing 2 1x1 sloped tiles for the clock.
The two other clock pieces are off center so I will have to order lego versions.
Missing 1 grey roof sloped tile.
And the flowers won't stay on.
Oh, and one girls hair is wrong.
I subbed the baseplate from the start.
Instructions were very confusing at a couple points because I couldn't tell the red brown from the dark red in the book and I am color blind so that was fun.

It came out looking pretty good, though.

I think I will order the Town Hall next.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
gently caress resellers. I bought 75145 from a Walmart, got home and found that it had been opened and someone had replaced everything with two bags from a completely different set. One of the bags wasn't even a Lego bag, just a ziploc with random pieces and a mega bloks figure. I've never even thought of checking the loving tape before because grown men shouldn't steal loving Lego toys. :argh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can't even trust the tape because Lego has been sealing their boxes with these little "easy peel" circles for a few years where if you're careful you can get them off without damaging the box at all. Then just dab a bit of clear glue on the seal if it won't stick on its own and no one will be able to figure it out.

Lego really needs to put tamper evident seals on their stuff because minifig theft is getting super common.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Big Mean Jerk posted:

gently caress resellers. I bought 75145 from a Walmart, got home and found that it had been opened and someone had replaced everything with two bags from a completely different set. One of the bags wasn't even a Lego bag, just a ziploc with random pieces and a mega bloks figure. I've never even thought of checking the loving tape before because grown men shouldn't steal loving Lego toys. :argh:

That happened to me from a Wal-Mart too! I had bought the Star Wars MiniFighters TIE Fighter, and while inside were LEGO pieces, they had nothing to do with the set. I couldn't even tell you what set they were from.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
That seems like a high risk-and-effort to reward ratio.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Walmart has been in the news lately for having poo poo security, moreso than they've ever had due to cutting staff and such, so people go there a ton to gank stuff. Keep that in mind when buying legos.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Electromax posted:

That seems like a high risk-and-effort to reward ratio.

Anything to get that next meth score man. Lego is complicit in funding the drug trade by not securing their minifigs better.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Captain Invictus posted:

Walmart has been in the news lately for having poo poo security, moreso than they've ever had due to cutting staff and such, so people go there a ton to gank stuff. Keep that in mind when buying legos.

I should have known better, but it's the closest to my school. Last month I found a Star Wars Black Series Stormtrooper that someone had repackaged with a dollar store knockoff.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Remember that millionaire CEO who went to jail for printing his own upcs to score cheap Legos :lol: ?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.wired.com/2013/08/langenbach/

lmao what a way to go

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'd never heard of this scam. I'm surprised it isn't used constantly. Or is it?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

That eBay name sounds familiar, I'm almost positive I bought stuff from him.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well, they probably just rang up as generic items so either the cashiers were stupid or didn't give a poo poo.

I worked at target when I was a teenager and it was pretty common for people to switch price tags. It was always super obvious but whether or not id call them out depended on whatever angsty teenage mood I was in that day.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
Anyone ever go to this?

http://legokidsfest.com/

A guy at work who's into Lego is pressuring me to buy a ticket, but I'm not sure he is realizing he is a 40ish guy with kids and I am a single guy in my 20s.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I probably wouldn't go to that one because it seems solely geared towards kids, but if any of the AFOL heavy shows come into town you should definitely go. They'll make you feel like everything you know about building lego is inferior.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

It's not necessarily poo poo security, it's a very liberal return policy and apparently not much in the way of verifying what's being returned. Much safer to buy what you're stealing and replace it with garbage at home, then get a full refund with a return. Find a lazy enough clerk and that still-shrink-wrapped iPad gets put back on the shelf and resold as new, and then you get the news story about someone getting a chunk of scrap steel instead of a brand-new ipad. And if they open to check, they may have to sell with an open box discount. This is one reason video cards have a window in the box with the serial number visible, so even a lazy BB employee can double-check the SN on a return. Although I presume scammers just printed out a similar serial number and slapped it on an old Matrox card.

It'd be even harder to solve with LEGO or other premium toys, since you'd need someone pretty familiar with the product to confirm everything's there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lego should totally go back to boxes with transparent displays in them. It was pretty drat epic to go up and down the aisle at the toy store and open the lid to see all the cool stuff inside when I was a kid.

And then pretend I was coy to mom, "boy it sure would be nice to have this for christmas."

(I was a pretty dumb kid)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Pyroclastic posted:

They basically still have them.

https://education.lego.com/en-us/elementary/shop/products

Thanks, you likely saved me from paying $250 for a Dacta in a drunken stupour one evening.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Pyroclastic posted:

It's not necessarily poo poo security, it's a very liberal return policy and apparently not much in the way of verifying what's being returned.

I 100% believe this tweet

https://twitter.com/tomhayes_sd/status/397089443279937537

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That eBay name sounds familiar, I'm almost positive I bought stuff from him.

I did buy from him. I picked up 2 venators without figs from him for 55.00 shipped. I put one together and kept one for parts. When he got caught, I guess I wasn't surprised it was shady.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Box art for the caterham is floating around, which I don't think I've seen before.

http://imgur.com/gallery/NtOBq

Suggests it's due out pretty soon.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone else have trouble deciding what sets to part out and which ones are untouchable? I'm always at odds with liking my cooler sets as display pieces and wanting to just rip them apart for Mocs.

As far as I'm concerned a set is gone the second I mix it in with my other parts.
There's no way I'll ever be organized enough to be able to put them balc together.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I've found that the elves sets are fantastic for pulling apart for mocs. They have a great range of colorful, useful parts and I don't feel bad about breaking them down.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I returned that hosed up set to Walmart and they initially didn't want to give me the refund/exchange because they thought I was the one who'd packed the box full of random crap. :argh: I did eventually get a refund, but only after calling over a manager and arguing for ten minutes. gently caress that Walmart.

In better news, I have some extra S16 minifigs if anyone wants to trade.
I've got:
1 Banana Guy
1 Penguin Kid
1 Pirate
1 Babysitter
1 Best in Show Guy
1 Super Spy/Not-Archer

Looking for :
S16 Mariachi
S16 Hiker/Explorer
S16 Devil Kid
Disney Mr Incredible
S14 Mad Scientist
S14 Bigfoot
S13 Hot Dog Guy
S13 King
S13 Alien

I'm shipping from the US.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

gently caress Walmart.

Agreed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally ran into series 16 and was tired as hell so I didn't feel the bags out and got doubles. drat that's was kind of a bummer. Broke my no doubles ever streak with the spy. At least he has cool accessories.

Also got the ice queen which is one of the best ones ever so it wasn't a total bust.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!
My local barnes and noble had first order tie fighter, transporters, and a bunch of the star wars buildable figures for 1/2 off if anyone still needs/wants to stock up on these. (seems to be going on at numerous locations)

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
There's only one Barnes near me and they only had 4 small ninja sets :/

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291874988772?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anyone think this could possibly be real?

Welp...someone took a chance on it. Good for them, hopefully.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Looks legit to me. Not sure why he calls it a game though.

Unrelated, but does anyone have experience removing print from bricks? Would paint thinner or something similar work? Sorry if that question is sacrilegious. I gotta get rid of this print on my ucs falcon radar dish so i can use it in something else

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sell it on bricklink for $50 and buy a stack of blank ones with your windfall?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I was just googling removing printing the other day. People seem so suggest Brasso. I ordered some pieces off brick link with the intention of giving it a shot. I can post my results when the shipment arrives, probably next week.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

xzzy posted:

Sell it on bricklink for $50 and buy a stack of blank ones with your windfall?

The second part was a joke :v: i do want to know if you can remove Lego print though.

deoju posted:

I was just googling removing printing the other day. People seem so suggest Brasso. I ordered some pieces off brick link with the intention of giving it a shot. I can post my results when the shipment arrives, probably next week.

Please do.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I've done it plenty.
Soak the piece in warm soapy water for half an hour first, then rinse and dry off.
Then use a small amount of the thicker part of brasso (not the thin watery part) on a q-tip and gently polish the area with the print. You'll probably have to re-apply the brasso a few times, just take it slow so you don't scratch the piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
When I was into 40K a lot of the guys I knew that repainted their earlier stuff swore by a cleaner called Simple Green. It took paint off, and didn't damage the plastic models. Though Lego and 40K use different plastics, so you might want to run a test piece in or something.