Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I rent my inner city apartment for $260 a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
We've got a decent place (Only had to rip out most of the carpet to get rid of the cat piss) in Chch for $250, but now it's being repaired and we're looking at at least another 50-75 a week if we don't want to live in New Brighton :cry:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

What's wrong with New Brighton? You don't want to live half a foot underground?

In other news, does anyone have a link to footage of Bernadine Oliver Kerby calling out Mike Hosking on his bullshit? From this article it sounds amazing and I want to see it: http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/84193664/newsreader-walks-out-as-mike-hosking-declares-its-mans-time-on-show

quote:

Obviously somewhat cowed - which is a story in itself - Hosking replied, "What I said was, I said - you were hanging around outside the studio, and I said, 'Do we really need her lads?'"

"I said, 'We don't need a woman, this is man's time'. That's what we said - man's time! We're going to talk about the league."

At that it appeared Oliver-Kerby got up and left the studio, much to the dismay of her male colleagues, which at the time also included Andrew Mulligan and Simon Doull.

"She's goneski," said Hosking. "Come back Bernie, come onnnn. Come back."

Oliver-Kerby's voice could then be heard away from the mike, insisting, "Say it like you mean it".

"Come back Bernie," repeated Hosking. "Please, we need you Bernie," added Doull.

Oliver-Kerby eventually seemed to relent and rejoined the team in the studio, though her contribution to the ensuing discussion on the Warriors remained fairly limited.

Hosking later made a half-hearted attempt to re-engage, asking Oliver-Kerby where she stood on the league team's current situation.

To which she retorted, "Don't I just have to agree with you? And all is well with the world?"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He really is just a gigantic piece of poo poo, isn't he.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

He's a malignant poo poo goblin.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

There's literally no good reason for the new proposed funding model. loving ridiculous bullshit.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Vagabundo posted:

There's literally no good reason for the new proposed funding model. loving ridiculous bullshit.

Assuming you're talking about the attempted bulk funding return, National has a very good (bad) ideological reason for it, that being the continued effort to destroy public education?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Actually there's a very good reason - it allows them to redistribute the education budget from government schools (boo! hiss!) to charter schools (wow! private sector efficiency!)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Some low-decile schools get more "at risk" kids and less money. How in the everloving gently caress are those schools expected to do anything?

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

fong posted:

In other news, does anyone have a link to footage of Bernadine Oliver Kerby calling out Mike Hosking on his bullshit? From this article it sounds amazing and I want to see it: http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/84193664/newsreader-walks-out-as-mike-hosking-declares-its-mans-time-on-show

So apparently it was all a farce and never happend.

New Zealand journalism, ladies and gentlemen.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11709327

quote:

The pair, along with Doull, said Oliver-Kerby had not left the studio.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Vagabundo posted:

Some low-decile schools get more "at risk" kids and less money. How in the everloving gently caress are those schools expected to do anything?

They're not.

Ghostlight posted:

Actually there's a very good reason - it allows them to redistribute the education budget from government schools (boo! hiss!) to charter schools (wow! private sector efficiency!)

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

The point to bulk funding is it allows the ministry to slowly strangle the schools without directly doing things like reducing teacher numbers. Instead they give the schools choice on how they spend their money. Which they then slowly erode through small cuts or sub-inflation increases. Then they can attack the unions for taking money away from local schools. Or even push for different contracts for different schools.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It discourages schools from taking on more experienced staff, and it will result in new teachers basically being dumped into the deep end without middle-management support. The ones that benefit are the private schools and charter schools.

And poo poo, it's not even Parata's call to make in the end. It's a decision reserved for those stupid loving unqualified parasites that occupy cabinet.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Hopefully the unions will be willing to use industrial action to fight this.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Love to see our country's fair and unbiased media report on that.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

National's education policy garbage, film at eleven

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

The Schwa posted:

National's education policy garbage, film at eleven

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Ghostlight posted:

I rent my inner city apartment for $260 a week.

My mortgage is 200 a month.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Dickkkkkk

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

gently caress

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Can't even get a carpark for that much.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
National is having a live Q&A with John Key on their Facebook page in about 2 minutes if you have any questions for him

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

"Why are you literally a oval office?"

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
That would imply warmth or depth.

When he opens his mouth bullshit comes out, clearly he's an arsehole.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 14, 2016

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Xik posted:

Can't even get a carpark for that much.

I live in the middle of no where in rural Hawkes bay.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ivor Biggun posted:

National is having a live Q&A with John Key on their Facebook page in about 2 minutes if you have any questions for him

"Why is the government insisting on an educational policy that is designed to gut the public education sector, which they know for a fact will do nothing but harm the students? Which is more important? Money or the future of our children?"

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Vagabundo posted:

"Why is the government insisting on an educational policy that is designed to gut the public education sector, which they know for a fact will do nothing but harm the students? Which is more important? Money or the future of our children?"

"When you cornered that waitress and grabbed her ponytail, did you think that she was just pretending to not like it?"

E: "When your young supporters make the Nazi salute at you, do you feel a swelling of National pride?"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I have so much empathy for those poor baby boomers who bought their house at the height of inflation in the 80s.

Oh wait, I don't, because while interest rates might have been high you could reasonably save a deposit for an asset priced close to its paper value and have a home instead of being trapped in a cycle of predatory rent.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
sure auckland is hosed but if you don't like it why are you choosing to live there?

we bought our place just before the boom but it doesn't loving matter because if we sell we just have to pay an equivalent value for somewhere else.

all of these people complaining about not being able to afford a house are either

a: wanting something beyond their means
b: looking in the wrong place

there is NO reason a family in auckland couldn't move to dunedin and live a full and happy life, but they don't want to.

baby-boomers have worked harder than I ever will have to. they've done the hard work now I just have to sit back and import a million poor immigrants who can cook and clean my parents retirement home while I chill out in the wairarapa.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
omg blub blub house prices in auckland are sooo high my stupid family can't ever afford to dream john key you HAVE RUINED MY LIFE

8 Sep 2016
Salary: Appointment Range $57,450 to $63,224
Work type: Full Time
Classification: Information & Communication Technology Business/Systems Analysts

31 Aug 2016
Salary: Appointment Range $57,450 to $63,224
Work type: Contract/Temp
Classification: Information & Communication Technology Business/Systems Analysts

$60k per year to literally suck a professors e-peen.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1160478831

Rooms: 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom
Property type: House
Rateable value (RV): $210,000

(Lets say $300,000 to be realistic)

Your minimum monthly repayments:
$1,434
Loan amount:$250,000
Total interest:$266,104
Your total cost:$516,104

Your take home pay (assuming $60,000 before PAYE)
$925.89
per week

Umm ok blub blub I know if I was living in a bed-bug infested shithole with my wife and kid and wanted to provide something better approx 10 mins of internet research and one potential solution is identified.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Source your quotes.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
you can't use anz mortgage calculator and work out a simple PAYE deduction?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Right wing jerks itt.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Wow you solved the housing crisis. How did nobody think of this before?

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
ya know, I don't know

perhaps because people would rather complain about their lot in life than do something about it

yeah - that's probably it.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
What are you doing out in the rapa, you should probably be in government with ideas like this.

Jeff Sichoe posted:

you can't use anz mortgage calculator and work out a simple PAYE deduction?

:yikes:

Kt88
Aug 15, 2003
Stuff.co.nz comments section is leaking

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
it's interesting that our parents were willing to get on a loving boat for 4 months from England (or a plane from India, or Samoa, or whatever) to get here to potentially provide a better life for their children (us)

but to ask the same thing of the current generation makes you right wing? wtf

people just don't want to sacrifice ANYTHING.

of course there are edge cases where, perhaps due to some mental issue, people aren't able to provide for their family, but generally these folk complaining of high rent or prices could EASILY (compared to how difficult life is for most of the world) change location to find work more suited to their skills and abilities.

i am not for one second saying 'the fix is for everyone to relocate to Dunedin' but what I am saying is that for A LOT of the folk having housing issues, relocation is a very real and often overlooked solution.

jeez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Right. Because I can afford to travel to Dunedin at least twice for interviews without a guarantee of getting that job?

THEN I am able to secure a place to live straight away, without having seen the place in person, allowing me to immediately pack everything up and shift to literally another island?

And finally, I get to leave all of my friends and family behind to live in Dunedin?

Congratulations. You have solved New Zealand.

• Locked thread