Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Gilgamesh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4te2ia1Ejj8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Watch the video now because Atlus is pulling videos as fast as they can be found.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Baal posted:

People are getting upset at the mere thought of spoilers before anyone's even gotten their hands on the game, yet no one is gonna shed a tear if this thread turns into a CIA Document over SMT4A, you loving babies.

i will

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheHeadSage posted:

no. Only similarities are they both have a fetish for swords.

and a fetish for ladies dressed like men

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dehry posted:

Watch the video now because Atlus is pulling videos as fast as they can be found.

They're not very good at it then, I named my videos Persona 5 and they've been up for a while now. :V

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

They had better make a persona 5 arena because hot drat these designs look slick

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

They're not very good at it then, I named my videos Persona 5 and they've been up for a while now. :V

The video I was talking about had Anne as well and by the time I got around to clicking her video it was pulled, then I went back and the others were as well.

E:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Dehry posted:

On what grounds? The game is already out

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

ImpAtom posted:

Spoke too soon there

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

On what grounds? The game is already out

Because hackers have gotten it all. Even the bad ending. They want to keep it a surprise and even begged people to not spoil anything other than the first hour I think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They're incredibly dumb then because that is going to make people put it up more, not less, and make people want to see it more, not less.

Edit: In fact I'm increasingly tempted to stream it now, so good job Atlus.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 15, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

As long as Atlus doesn't take down any music uploads i'll be fine with it.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.dailymotion.com/kennethbr

This guy has some of the cutscenes. Thumbnails contain spoilers, and the one you're looking at has the first part cut out.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Dehry posted:

Because hackers have gotten it all. Even the bad ending. They want to keep it a surprise and even begged people to not spoil anything other than the first hour I think.

Do they honestly think any purchasing decisions are going to be changed on the basis of leaked videos or what

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The biggest spoiler is when fan artists take down all their art of certain characters after they do something bad.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I've already given up on that I'll be spoilered and only a matter of time left. Also I read a guide for P3/4 so I don't mind quite as much but still 6 months away.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

littleorv posted:

Play SMTIV:A

It will be better than Persona 5

I hated SMTIV, have 0 interest in A.

quote:

Also voice acting's gonna take like three weeks of the process, the actual entire project taking this long is not a dub thing

Right, they need to figure out where they can re-write entire scenes to slap some memes in there, change characterization entirely, cover up the female characters, maybe add gender pronouns everywhere, can't offend anyone after all, ITS 2016.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
CENSORSHIP

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Alteisen posted:

Right, they need to figure out where they can re-write entire scenes to slap some memes in there, change characterization entirely, cover up the female characters, maybe add gender pronouns everywhere, can't offend anyone after all, ITS 2016.

lmao if you believe this about localization

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alteisen posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about you lackwit

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Alteisen posted:

I always thought people like this were some kind of modern myth...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nintendo's made some weird localization decisions but they're nintendo. I can't think of any non-nintendo games that have had major cases of localization 'censorship' or major graphical/plot alterations in the past few years.

And I don't know what the gender pronouns thing is even a stab at so I guess you just decided to toss it in because someone on tumblr who refers to themselves as 'they' brutally owned you, possibly wrt big-titted rosalinas.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
February isn't that bad of a wait considering the development team is probably on standby for game breaking bugs, then are going to take a week off and get wasted before sending the script to Atlus USA. Some poor souls will have to translate everything, and they'll work with the Japanese branch to put that text into the game. That alone probably hits November before they even put out a casting call for voice acting. Spend November/December/January playtesting (shutting down for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year,) delay the game until March, then finally release the game Winter 2014

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Adding gender pronouns, the heinous of all censorship

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the script's probably already been sent to atlus usa...

People have really weird ideas about how much time and effort it takes to translate 80 hours worth of Japanese text.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

People have really weird ideas about a lot of the gamedev process tbf

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Alteisen posted:

i mean I don't like some of Nintendo's localization changes (because that is entirely what this post is aimed at) but holy poo poo you're fuckin dumb

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh no, not memes!

(I've seen like two or three references to Japanese memes in Persona 5 already but I'm willing to bet those apparently don't 'count' for whatever reason.)

That said, I actually like the stealth mechanics in P5. I might get tired of them later on but they're a neat gimmick so far.

Edit:

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 15, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

And I don't know what the gender pronouns thing is even a stab at so I guess you just decided to toss it in because someone on tumblr who refers to themselves as 'they' brutally owned you, possibly wrt big-titted rosalinas.

all of two games (Gunvolt and FF Type-0) had stuff like "xe" in them and people had a meltdown

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Motto posted:

all of two games (Gunvolt and FF Type-0) had stuff like "xe" in them and people had a meltdown

whoa, did not expect that from an ff game tbh, even if it's a side-game

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

it was in reference to a moogle

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

oh no, a pronoun invented in 1971. truly tumblr has ruined the world.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

oh no, a pronoun invented in 1971. truly tumblr has ruined the world.

tumblr has tainted the immaculate dialogue of gunvolt

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
well, even if it's a one off thing, i approve of it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh i don't know anything about those scenarios but japan has a real lack of a need to gender a lot of language? like a character can be totally genderambiguous without having to awkwardly write around it. english however, has a need for gendered pronouns, so it's kind of awkward to translate a game with a character like that. imo i vastly prefer rarely used neutral pronouns to just arbitrarily picking a gender (with conflicts with the original intent) or the incredibly awkward his/her thing FF9 did for Quina.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Is using they/their A Thing in translations now? Or would that be frowned upon in an official translation of a work?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like in the anime soul eater there's a character called crona whose gender/sex is never specified and the creator went on record that whether they were neutral, male, or female was just up to the audience to decide, and the official TLs went with 'he' because it was easier that way, and it kind of sucked because the ambiguity wasn't the character's defining trait but it was an important part of their character, and i wish they had been able to just go with 'they' or 'xir' or whatever without weirdos on the internet having a meltdown.

LightningKimba posted:

Is using they/their A Thing in translations now? Or would that be frowned upon in an official translation of a work?

there's no translator's guidebook or something? it varies a lot based on the specific situation, the people translating it, the people approving the translation, and the target audience. Some people might frown upon it, some people might not think to use it, some people would be cool with it. I've seen it in a few official manga/anime translations but I haven't seen it in a game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There's a character in Attack on Titan who is intentionally ambiguously-gendered too IIRC. (Also characters like Alluka in Hunter x Hunter where the issue of what gender they prefer to be identified by is an actual plot point but that's a bit easier to translate at least.)

Edit: Also as a warning P5 is very much like P4 in that it takes for-frigging-ever to get past the initial setup, though you get more dungeon-gameplay in that segment than in P4.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

There's a character in Attack on Titan who is intentionally ambiguously-gendered too IIRC.
That's actually an interesting case since Isayama specifically instructed the people translating the manga to not use gendered pronouns for them. They actually had to go back and re-edit earlier volumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Downloading Persona 5 right now. Really excited to play this.