Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Yeah, $5k. Brand new in Texas. You can ask TapTheForwardAssist, he was there with me when I bought it (cool dude gave me a ride).

And yeah, I forgot to mention, kinda limited range. I use the trip odometer and refuel every 100 miles, but I've gotten to 130 without issue before. I just stick the the 100 rule cause I'd rather not run out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

Are you set on a Street? They are not Harley's finest.

Thanks for the info. I'm not set on the street. Also considering the Honda Shadow Phantom 750. I used to own a shadow, and so I'm pretty familiar with that type of bike. I get a sense the build quality of the Shadow might be higher than the Street?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

clutchpuck posted:

RSD rearsets.

Yes. I believe that when I'm standing at a stoplight, the pegs should be behind my calves, not ahead of my shins. Wait, what thread is this again?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Regarding the Heritage Softail Classic, is there a year before which (or after which) there are attributes/engines sizes/mounts/features to be avoided (or sought after)?

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

epalm posted:

Regarding the Heritage Softail Classic, is there a year before which (or after which) there are attributes/engines sizes/mounts/features to be avoided (or sought after)?

Heritage Softail is awesome in any year between 1994 and 2016

in theory 2006-2007 are claimed to have issues with transmission but that's just second hand bullshit I heard. I would go for a 103 engine in any case just because 'Harley'

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
As fall descends, so too the Harley thread, down the pages of the SA forums...

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

adary posted:

Heritage Softail is awesome in any year between 1994 and 2016

in theory 2006-2007 are claimed to have issues with transmission but that's just second hand bullshit I heard. I would go for a 103 engine in any case just because 'Harley'

What happened in 1994? Other than HD trying to trademark the "Harley Sound" :airquote:

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/5783005179.html

does this thing look "fun"

I'm not sure how concerned I should be about the dent in the tank and the lack of good photos.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I've been looking for a bigger bike near Portland to supplement my Sportster and I wouldn't buy that for $5k but ymmv

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/5783005179.html

does this thing look "fun"

I'm not sure how concerned I should be about the dent in the tank and the lack of good photos.

At 5k , that bike is seriously overpriced. I'd counter with 3k and walk if he so much as whimpers. Search your area on http://www.chopperexchange.com/Search/Harley-Davidson/All_Models/Motorcycles

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Right on. Thanks. I didn't know about that site.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Right on. Thanks. I didn't know about that site.

I wouldn't get too excited; there are only two bikes listed with an actual price sub $5k within 500 miles of Portland. One is a Sportster 1200 in Seattle for $3500, the other is an 883 Hugger in Spokane for $5k. I guess it could be good if there is a specific bike you're looking for but jesus, only TWO listings with prices? That's pathetic.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

ha, yeah.

I think being a poor gently caress is going to require me to rule Harleys out as an option for the time being.

It's difficult choosing a bike when you're going to be riding it every day and it's going to be your only vehicle.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
For 5k you could have a sweet FXR.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

I think being a poor gently caress is going to require me to rule Harleys out as an option for the time being.

that 1200 sporty in seattle is decent for the asking price and if you can get them down from there then go for it

then buy all my pull-offs :twisted:

clutchpuck posted:

For 5k you could have a sweet FXR.

my ceiling right now is $4k because, well, I don't partially need another bike and I don't particularly want to spend any more than that. keeping my fingers crossed for a winter offload

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

All the listings on that site in my area are dealers.

Better off finding a private party on Craigslist to buy from.

That or see if there any motorcycle specific swap meets, go early and see if you can find something dirt cheap, then go back 1 hour before close and shoot lowballs on stuff that might be priced too high.

Take cash and low ball until you find somebody that is willing to make a deal, if you don't need to buy there's no harm and getting told no by a bunch of people.

But do actually go and look at the bikes, don't try and haggle people down over the phone cuz generally it won't get you anywhere and without looking at the bike you don't really know if it's even worth trying to get.

The best deals will be after riding season is over from people who don't want to pay the store the bike or don't want to keep making payments over the winter.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Well, I decided the Softail needed a little sister. She's 2 years younger, over 200 lbs lighter, and (presumably) significantly faster. Putting her on the road tomorrow. To borrow a quote made by an unknown party , "This bike sounds like it's powered by loving hand grenades"

Found a nice, clean 2009 Buell 1125r with 7k miles, offered them 5 grand (they were looking for 6. um, no.).

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Nerdrock posted:

"This bike sounds like it's powered by loving hand grenades"

Found a nice, clean 2009 Buell 1125r with 7k miles, offered them 5 grand (they were looking for 6. um, no.).

i am extremely jealous

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Do yourself a favor and check the voltage coming off the charging system. That's the common failure

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

clutchpuck posted:

Do yourself a favor and check the voltage coming off the charging system. That's the common failure

Thanks for the suggestion. The seller told me he'd experienced that failure, replaced the stator and some associated things (can't recall specifically) to enhance cooling and ensure it wouldn't happen again. He seemed like he knew what he was doing, and wasn't just some punk rear end kid.

Took it for a little ride yesterday : hooooooly poo poo. This thing is absolutely insane. My friend, an ex SV1000 owner got the front tire about 3 feet up and said 'yeah. thats enough'.. claims it makes his old SV feel like a moped. I pulled my wrist back in 1st gear once starting at about 20mph, and that was just.. jarring. Kept 2 on the ground, and have zero desire to change that.

This is my first "supersport" bike, as, aside from the softail, the closest I had was the '93 CBR 1000F.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 20, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I've been riding my Ulysseses for years and they still surprise me with dank whoolies.

Get that baby into some corners where it belongs.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Nevermind this.

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 21, 2016

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
anyone have any experience with insuring a SPCN title? I have a line on what seems to be a great (already titled, already tagged) 88" Evo with a 4-speed ratchet top but I'm trying to figure out if the hassle of re-titling in Oregon and insuring is going to offset the price.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I figure this thread might be the better place to ask, any time I ask in the general thread I don't seem to get much of an answer. Does anyone here own or have some riding experience on an XR 1200 or a V Rod? I realize neither are traditional H-D bikes but that's kind of why I like them. I'm just looking for some info on what they're like to ride and live with.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Coming from (and loving) Buell XBs, the XR1200 was disappointing for me. I liked the engine, obviously it took no time for me to get used to the shifting rhythm and shift points, but it's like 100lbs heavier than my Ulysses and it felt like it. And it handled like two halves of a bike; not a nice composed ride leaned over.

PolishHero
Nov 11, 2005
When I worked at a Harley dealer earlier this year I got to ride the vrod a bit. Great motor and (for HD) a very decent transmission but they are kinda wasted with that goofy huge rear tire. Also it folds you up a bit with far bars and forward controls.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I rode one with mid pegs and low bars once, it felt awesome.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

As Nero Danced posted:

I figure this thread might be the better place to ask, any time I ask in the general thread I don't seem to get much of an answer. Does anyone here own or have some riding experience on an XR 1200 or a V Rod? I realize neither are traditional H-D bikes but that's kind of why I like them. I'm just looking for some info on what they're like to ride and live with.

I mean you are talking about two completely different bikes here. One is based on a drag bike the other is loosely based on a flat track bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Nerdrock posted:

Well, I decided the Softail needed a little sister. She's 2 years younger, over 200 lbs lighter, and (presumably) significantly faster. Putting her on the road tomorrow. To borrow a quote made by an unknown party , "This bike sounds like it's powered by loving hand grenades"

Are you still alive?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

clutchpuck posted:

Are you still alive?

Hah. yep. Learned yesterday I can get about 180 miles out of a tank on the Buell before the light comes on, at which point I have half a gallon left. I'm running out of time to enjoy it this season, as the weather is going to turn really, really soon.

Next order of business is some accessories for the Softail. Mainly, a Sissy Bar so the wife can ride on the back confidently, and some saddlebags to make it have a little utility.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Time for a monthly post in the Harley thread! So, on Saturday I traded in my Street Bob for a Low Rider S. I'd really been lusting after this bike, and I'm loving it so far. Feels a lot sportier than the Bob. Managed to score it just a few minutes before someone else walked in, cash in hand ready. The other salesman was pissed.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That's a new one with the cartridge forks and real shocks right? Lust is justified.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Duck_King posted:

Time for a monthly post in the Harley thread! So, on Saturday I traded in my Street Bob for a Low Rider S. I'd really been lusting after this bike, and I'm loving it so far. Feels a lot sportier than the Bob. Managed to score it just a few minutes before someone else walked in, cash in hand ready. The other salesman was pissed.

Nice bike, duder

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

clutchpuck posted:

That's a new one with the cartridge forks and real shocks right? Lust is justified.

Yeah, adjustable premium shocks, dual disk brakes with ABS, security system, high flow air filter, and 110 inch engine. I noticed the difference in power immediately.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

That thing ought to rip with the 110. Nice looking bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'd be perfect with a M8 motor :)

Seems like Harley is finally listening to folks who actually ride their bikes

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Got my bags and backrest for the wife set up, just in time for winter. At least she got to have one comfortable ride with me before the weather turned.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
No one's saying you can't ride in the cold. Leather gloves, a scarf or similar apparel and a heavy jacket and you're golden.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I found that winter riding is fine down to 35f when ice becomes a concern. The worst was my hands, even with winter/waterproof gloves they got painfully cold.

I bought these to cut the wind and my gloves work fine.

https://www.denniskirk.com/619489.s...ad=154651322530

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

"Hippo Hands" / any other over-handlebar mitt is a must for winter riding; it makes it so much more comfortable. Before my father bought me a pair as a gift, I didn't even know about them, and I would have to pull over every so often so that I could grope the engine to warm my hands.

• Locked thread