Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

loquacius posted:

Google Now is the worst voice assistant because it makes it the hardest to pretend a woman is being nice to you

like, you say "tell me a joke" and it googles "joke" for you and you can't even say "thanks, cortana :rolleyes:" sarcastically because its name is "google" which is not a good name for a computer lady

Google is a good name for a lady's parts, but not for a lady!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

The removal of a tree'd start menu app shortcut structure and replacement with a flat list just aggravates me all to hell. The hiding scrollbar thing, it was on by default and was so obscure to find and disable that I don't remember now where it was but thank gently caress it's off because holy poo poo that was irritating (no mousewheel)

If my mouse wheel stopped working, I would immediately go buy a new mouse. Why do you not have one?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
poverty

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

radiatinglines posted:

If my mouse wheel stopped working, I would immediately go buy a new mouse. Why do you not have one?

maybe he doesn't want one?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

opus111 posted:

maybe he doesn't want one?

don't be stupid

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Indy posted:

If you have to run vm all the time, why dont you buy a pc? Seems retarded if you ask me.

Because developers use VMs regardless of what host OS they have.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826193099
No one is that drat poor

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

thathonkey posted:

im pretty sure one time my dog fell asleep on my macbook charger (the square brick part) and it burned his stomach and i had to treat the wound for like 2 weeks until it healed. think i could sue apple? those things do get really hot like if i have the charger out on the bed and i accidentally rest my skin (even through clothes) against that thing it is really uncomfortable

my dad uses those freezeable lunch box coolers to keep his macbook pro power adaptor cool while he's using it.

gets one from the freezer, puts a small wash cloth on it to absorb condensation, and sets the adapter on top. maybe you should try that

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's really weird that a simple answer provokes suspicion but okay I have some crazy techno spy reason for not wanting to replace my mouse I guess :shrug:

in similar news, I had Windows XP Pro 64-bit until a few months ago, my desktop is 7 or 8 years old, my keyboard is about 20 years old (seriously)

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Does this really matter? I mean, all iPhones have wireless charging, right? They're premium devices!

Wait what

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Flesh Forge posted:

The removal of a tree'd start menu app shortcut structure and replacement with a flat list just aggravates me all to hell. The hiding scrollbar thing, it was on by default and was so obscure to find and disable that I don't remember now where it was but thank gently caress it's off because holy poo poo that was irritating (no mousewheel)

The tree structure start menu was dogshit and you'd always be looking for a program and then not finding it and then realizing it was hidden somewhere in the tree under its publishers name and then you don't remember what that was so you're hunting through random publisher names hoping to see it and yeah dogshit. Now you just type two letters of the name of thing you want and there it is.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Upgraded my iPhone 6s to iOS 10 and now imessaging does all the things my android phone did two years ago lmao

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

lazorexplosion posted:

The tree structure start menu was dogshit and you'd always be looking for a program and then not finding it and then realizing it was hidden somewhere in the tree under its publishers name and then you don't remember what that was so you're hunting through random publisher names hoping to see it and yeah dogshit. Now you just type two letters of the name of thing you want and there it is.

actually you type two letters of the thing you want and it brings up internet explorer searching for it because they put internet searches in the same thing as programs and also you can't change it from using MICROSOFT EDGE for searching there either

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

lazorexplosion posted:

The search is great and I'm sorry you didn't like the treeview but maybe not everyone on the planet prefers an ungrouped flat list for browsing a few dozen or a few hundred items to a hierarchical treeview, and there was no technical reason to remove it - the shortcut files are even still there, just the UI does not present them to you any more and they've been moved to a more obscure directory:

{userdata}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\

i.e., just like the poo poo apple does being complained about

naem
May 29, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

Does this really matter? I mean, all iPhones have wireless charging, right? They're premium devices!

Wait what

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lol

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

Wait what

Im kinda shocked they don't have their own wireless charging standard that they sell for a stupid high amount of money like all their other peripherals. Im sure you could even block the charge with some dumb DRM setup so you have to buy Apple Approved junk

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Do not Wave Charge for over 300 seconds.

shouldn't there be some sort of safety cutoff, phone realizes "oh hey the battery's full, shut down the charger" :shrug:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

shouldn't there be some sort of safety cutoff, phone realizes "oh hey the battery's full, shut down the charger" :shrug:

youre right. clearly apple has not thought their "microwave your phone" technology through

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's a legit question, is that a normal caveat with wireless charging?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

It's a legit question, is that a normal caveat with wireless charging?

omg dude

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Flesh Forge posted:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i don't have an iPhone but maybe you should try it and post the results

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ahaha oops I did that man thing where we only read the bottom line duh.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Upgraded my iPhone 6s to iOS 10 and now imessaging does all the things my android phone did two years ago lmao

I literally don't have any friends to test this with

Someday... :nsa:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I would be your friend but I just ruined my phone trying to charge it

Woden
May 6, 2006

a retard posted:

i'm using a laptop with 10 installed and it's alright but i'm still a tad :tinfoil: about the telemetry and the data collection. like is there an actual legitimate reason for all of that poo poo? every time people brought it up in shsc other people would respond with "lol take off your tinfoil hat" without actually explaining why it's not a big deal

Their Scroogle campaign tanked because no one gave a poo poo about Google vacuuming up everything, so they figured why not get in on it.

I think the reason for the telemetry in particular was they could save money on QA if they just got users to send all the datas to them to analyse, which is also why they're getting a lot more bugs. I thought I read that somewhere but may remember it wrong.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Actually because of excitation in the lithium ions you can microwave charge any phone. That's just apple trying to take credit for physics.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
Pffff i've been microwave charging my android phone since nineteen dickety two.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Germstore posted:

Actually because of excitation in the lithium ions you can microwave charge any phone. That's just apple trying to take credit for physics.

Only aluminium ones, plastic ones don't work and it's why everyone moved from the durable, shock absorbent and not slippery as gently caress plastic to slippery aluminium that'll shatter the screen as soon as you drop it.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
has anyone made a joke about not giving jack poo poo about this?? BECAUSE I DONT GIVE A JACK poo poo BITCH!!!!

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Germstore posted:

who needs a hierarchical start menu? I just say, "cortana, run paint.net" and quick as you please a bing webpage is opened with the search query "run paint.net".

Lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is this the new Feminist Siri that sasses you if you ask a sexual/sexist question?

http://www.unchainedjane.com/2015/10/11-badass-feminist-responses-from-siri.html?m=1

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frosted Flake posted:

Is this the new Feminist Siri that sasses you if you ask a sexual/sexist question?

http://www.unchainedjane.com/2015/10/11-badass-feminist-responses-from-siri.html?m=1

I have to assume there's engineers in Japan working on a tsundere OS.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
As if I want to search the web for you, baka.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

I can't figure out what's funnier: the author getting mad that people aren't treating a search algorithm with "mutual respect", or the author confusing the Siri bot's canned responses to vulgar words as conversation gambits.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't want to sound misogynistic

But that's a stupid loving bitch

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

notZaar posted:

I can't figure out what's funnier: the author getting mad that people aren't treating a search algorithm with "mutual respect", or the author confusing the Siri bot's canned responses to vulgar words as conversation gambits.

It's the second one, definitely

"If you call Siri a bitch she says 'Well, I never!' LOL owned, take that patriarchy :xd:"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

:lol: Apple is apparently sending surveys to Macbook Pro users asking if they use the headphone jack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

WhyteRyce posted:

:lol: Apple is apparently sending surveys to Macbook Pro users asking if they use the headphone jack

Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever used it

Music producers would go insane though

• Locked thread