Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Benefits of the Digisix: you can slide the incident cover off and it becomes an incident meter, and it meters in insanely dark situations. My expensive Sekonic can't even go as low as the Digisix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

^ 2nding this from experience, my sekonic gives up at like 2 EV whereas the digisix (I bought from ansel :mrgw:) goes down to like -2 or some ridiculous number

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

EV -2 at ISO 400 which would be EV 0 at 100, which seems like a reasonable number

If you just pretend the meter is a well-exposed person in your scene, incident is the best

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I try to eyeball the % of the incident diffuser that is in shade vs what is more filled to represent a similar % to that of which i'm seeing on the person I'm exposing, too

like if they are looking towards the light and it feels like ~15% of their head is in shadow and the rest is "lit well", i'll try to meter at an angle with the incident diffuser that has a similar makeup of "in shadow" to "well filled"

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Yeah, the incident meter is supposed to collect a combination of shadow/highlights that are hitting the dome like it's a face. Learning how to angle one thoughtfully is incredibly useful. Reflective metering is for chumps.

Even on a photo without a person I try to imagine there's someone standing in the scene and I hold the meter accordingly.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

ansel autisms posted:

Reflective metering is for chumps.

:orks:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

beware of alligators by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ritten by alkanphel, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 15, 2016

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Those are some weird-rear end greens you got there.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

HookShot posted:

Those are some weird-rear end greens you got there.

That's the beauty/horror of Fuji Velvia 50.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

hydroponics by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Perfect username/post

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 25, 2016

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

What film/speed was this?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Awkward Davies posted:

What film/speed was this?

That would be Porta 400.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Did you mean to scan this with the film upside down?

-

Got my Kiev-60 back from the shop! It still shutter caps, but in a different way than before. Interesting.

(Good enough frame. Darkening on right side isn't too obvious in this instance.)
img722 by S M, on Flickr

(Bad frame. Internal reflections, I think, and shutter capping)

I'm giving up on it. But what to do with this nice CZJ glass?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I'm giving up on it. But what to do with this nice CZJ glass?

I might be in the market for some nice P6 glass.

I had my Kiev 60 overhauled by Arax (I bought it from a flea market) and it's now a perfect camera. Cost me about $100 including a CLA on a severely fungus infested lens and postage back to me (in Europe). Gevorg at Arax is the shitcam whisperer. Dunno if that's an option that interests you after you've already thrown some money at it.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
I haven't contributed for a while expect to poo poo on the street thread so here are some photos

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Did you mean to scan this with the film upside down?

lol, no, but I'm curious how you could tell.

^^ really amazing stuff deaders

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Karl Barks posted:

lol, no, but I'm curious how you could tell.

^^ really amazing stuff deaders

Letters on the sign are backwards. 😀

That's a really great shot. Was he playing to the camera or did you catch him like that?

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 16, 2016

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I mean... it was 100% intentional.

I got as close to him as I could without being obvious, he looked up and cocked his head right before I took the picture.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

deaders posted:

I haven't contributed for a while expect to poo poo on the street thread so here are some photos

These two, holy poo poo.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Lots of stuff was on fire when I was in California.

Santa Barbara Fire

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 20, 2018

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

deaders posted:

how did you meter this? Seriously unbelievable photograph dude.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Thanks, I don't actually remembered how I metered for it but it's portra 400 so I was probably standing in that open shade and held my incident meter out in front of me.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

CA

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 20, 2018

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

rearranging the landscape by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

indoor pool by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Helen Highwater posted:

I might be in the market for some nice P6 glass.

I had my Kiev 60 overhauled by Arax (I bought it from a flea market) and it's now a perfect camera. Cost me about $100 including a CLA on a severely fungus infested lens and postage back to me (in Europe). Gevorg at Arax is the shitcam whisperer. Dunno if that's an option that interests you after you've already thrown some money at it.

CZJ 180 2.8. Wonderful. Used for taking some real nice pictures of my friend's wedding, and distant landscapes from the tops of buildings, etc. (But landscapes are where the uneven exposure kills it, especially with positive film.)

I'm still mulling over sending the camera to Arax for an overhaul.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

SMERSH Mouth posted:

CZJ 180 2.8. Wonderful. Used for taking some real nice pictures of my friend's wedding, and distant landscapes from the tops of buildings, etc. (But landscapes are where the uneven exposure kills it, especially with positive film.)

I'm still mulling over sending the camera to Arax for an overhaul.

I have the CZJ 180 2.8, 802.8, 50 4, and a Pentacon 6 with a broken shutter. Should I just get a Kiev body? Or does anyone know of a good P6 repair guy?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

No clue about the P6 but I've ordered three Kiev 60s, one each from the two biggest refurbishers (Hartblei and Arax), and one from a random ebay seller. None of them were capable of producing an evenly-exposed frame across the shutter speed range. I sent back the Arax and they fixed it. It had no shutter problem after that. But it tumbled onto concrete and the lens mount was warped. I took the good shutter assembly out of the damaged camera and put it into the body from eBay. But unfortunately it then began to display unevenly exposed frames again.

If you want to get a Kiev 60, get one from Arax. Be ready to send it back though. I kind of have a hunch that their shutter repair service is just swapping in another shutter assembly and hoping it works better than the old one. I think they have a lot of new old stock from the arsenal factory so it makes sense.

The Kievs from Arax have optional MLU, which you should go for if you get one.

If you have some money and don't want to gently caress around, though, just order one of the 88's with metal shutter upgrade.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

iSheep fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 28, 2016

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007