Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
http://i.imgur.com/arsIdOo.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

duTrieux. posted:

this is one of the reasons that i think prop-based effects result in better design than pure CG in movies

creativity comes from constraint

i've thought this about modern car and (especially) motorbike design, the rise of cad/cam (and the natural swing of fashion between curves and sharp angles) means a lot of modern designs look like utter poo poo because it never exists in full (or even small) scale until it's way too late to change

my go-to example of this is the ktm super duke (but all of ktm's bikes suffer from this to a greater or lesser extent)

not a single continuous line anywhere on the fucker. this isn't just a "dagnabbit in my days there were songs you could sing along to" thing, i like the pointy "transformer mid-transition" look of modern naked bikes, but this is a jangled mess for no other reason than the designer wanted to do as much designing as he possibly could.

(for comparison, the older model did a similar thing but with a much better flow:

compare the way the lines of the tail continue through the seat and tank to the total lack of flow in the newer one)

also it leads to poo poo like on my current bike - the design is mostly okay (but looks awkward as gently caress from some angles, another problem with a lot of modern bikes), except for literally no reason there's an engine mount right here:

that is cut at a 45 degree angle. no reason at all why it can't be flush, but i know some designer somewhere hugged himself at his brilliance in putting that little touch on so quotidian a bit of metalwork. it's only purpose is to dig into the side of your leg.

while i'm ranting about kids these days and their crazy trousers, this piece of poo poo just around the corner from me is bad (and has just "won" the carbuncle award for worst new building in london) but there are ten nearby almost as bad:

loving thing looks like the textures haven't finished loading yet. just because you can do a thing, doesn't mean you should do it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

goddamnedtwisto posted:

while i'm ranting about kids these days and their crazy trousers, this piece of poo poo just around the corner from me is bad (and has just "won" the carbuncle award for worst new building in london) but there are ten nearby almost as bad:

loving thing looks like the textures haven't finished loading yet. just because you can do a thing, doesn't mean you should do it
they made a building with greebles

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

anthonypants posted:

lol came here to post this

also look at how much they hosed up that bright orange truss in there

ugh

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

lol that bike has scolliosis

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

needless to say it looks even worse in real life, and just wander round in street view - that whole area is like the result of some sort of "who can do the stupidest loving thing in concrete and glass" competition. i swear it's because canary wharf, just up the road, is deliberately very conservative in the building designs they let on their turf and architects get rejected by them and go "too ugly for hoity toity canary loving wharf eh? let's see how much you like having to look out your precious symmetrical windows at THIS poo poo"

mind you at least, unlike the last winner, none of the buildings round here is an actual loving death ray:

that melts cars parked nearby on the three sunny days a year we get in london:

talking of lovely design - this isn't even the first building BY THIS ARCHITECT to do this:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

building has drat leprosy

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 15, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hooarse

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Why the long face and torso?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

lol

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

i never noticed that his pants were still undone in the bathroom but magically zipped themselves up once he busts out

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOzM4ClFG1o

Rookoo fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 15, 2016

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

somebody fanartted it too

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jonny 290 posted:

little known fact: the low air pressure in denver causes this to happen to everyone who stays there for more than 20 years

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

drat i was just lookin for this thx

"long truck lady" does not work too well as a query btw

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm the post-it note.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

atomicthumbs posted:

i'm the post-it note.

nice i'm the

i didnt even notice

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

DRR... DRR... DRR...

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

lol at this diatribe about the dangers of bit coin on mr bobot

...but also, terrifying how right it is

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Jonny 290 posted:

not just any somebody, goon ian jq did it!

he's also worked on venture bros, adventure time, and steven universe. :D

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Phone posted:

not just any somebody, goon ian jq did it!

he's also worked on venture bros, adventure time, and steven universe. :D

holy poo poo that makes it so much better

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

2pants0butt

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

finally

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQBan9MOy60

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

that's a heck of a swayback

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Liver Disaster posted:

as though one needs to be provided

touché

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
someone in my office today literally wore JNCOs like a legit pair too

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
how does JNCO still even exist?

is it like, a juggalo thing ?

or white power i guess considering pepe is that now i dont know what means anything anymore

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sniep posted:

how does JNCO still even exist?

is it like, a juggalo thing ?

or white power i guess considering pepe is that now i dont know what means anything anymore

theyve had a bit of ironic retro buzz lately and i think somebody just bought jnco (the company/name) actually

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

theyve had a bit of ironic retro buzz lately and i think somebody just bought jnco (the company/name) actually

these were straight legs if your legs were propane tank rear end JNCOs

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx84-5djQCI

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

nevernude, the next level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU