Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Aren't GM's made by Magna?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Pretty sure if GM's magnetic shocks were wearing out and needing replacement by 20k miles it would be well known by now.

Major components needing to be replaced at ludicrously short intervals is more of a German engineering thing, GMs just murder you.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

That's much more reasonable. They're probably $4k from a dealer though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fknlo posted:

That's much more reasonable. They're probably $4k from a dealer though.

Regular shocks are probably $1k from a dealer. Dealers are scum.

edit: GT350R magneride struts/shocks are $650/$550 a piece from ford. Regular GT350 struts/shocks are $231/191 from ford.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 12, 2016

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

BloodBag posted:

R8 guys with the Audi magnetic ride are saying that these wear out at an accelerated rate due to the iron particles in the oil abrading the sealing surfaces much faster than a common shock would. Like, new shocks at 20,000 miles fast. They are saying that this particular system is produced by Delphi.

I've heard that from a couple of sources now. I asked a Ford engineer about that at the Focus RS drive and he said there can be problems but there's been a lot of work recently to improve the tech, including using smaller and less abrasive particles.

I still maintain that the best damped cars I've driven have all had conventional valved dampers not magnetorheological ones.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It kind of seems to me that with modern cars and their million different modes and customization settings for suspension, steering, throttle response, etc. that cars don't come from the factory with one super dialed-in setting. Rather than trusting the engineers and testers to find a good balance between all those factors, they just say "well you can configure it however you want!", except that most people are not automotive chassis engineers.

Especially for something not-exotic, just give me one really well-configured set up and ditch all the complicated whizzbangery that will eventually cost thousands of dollars to repair/replace.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Guinness posted:

It kind of seems to me that with modern cars and their million different modes and customization settings for suspension, steering, throttle response, etc. that cars don't come from the factory with one super dialed-in setting. Rather than trusting the engineers and testers to find a good balance between all those factors, they just say "well you can configure it however you want!", except that most people are not automotive chassis engineers.

Especially for something not-exotic, just give me one really well-configured set up and ditch all the complicated whizzbangery that will eventually cost thousands of dollars to repair/replace.

The problem is that the standard base setting is designed to save 99 out of 100 buyers from themselves. Just one setting would be soft understeer because most of the guys who buy interesting cars are 90 and terrified by oversteer.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Powershift posted:

The problem is that the standard base setting is designed to save 99 out of 100 buyers from themselves. Just one setting would be soft understeer because most of the guys who buy interesting cars are 90 and terrified by oversteer.

It's worth noting that Porsche's factory suspension alignments have trended towards understeer for twenty years now. In a 911. With a 40/60 weight distribution.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I wouldnt criticize them for that move, considering porsches 80s rep.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Guinness posted:

I figured it comes down to cost. Why spend many expensive engineering hours designing and perfecting a complex multi-link mechanical suspension that compensates for all manner of driving conditions, when you can throw some struts and a torsion beam in there, an off the shelf stability control system, and who cares if it handles poorly at the limit, the ASC will bail you out well before that.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

KidDynamite posted:

The 1LE does have the front Brembo's but yeah missing out on the magnetic ride is pretty lame.

I think the V6 1LE has four piston brembos while the SS 1LE gets monster six piston front brakes.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Autoblog posted:

Ford has kept the 2017 F-150 Raptor's specifications close to the chest. So much so, that there's still no word on how much power the truck's engine will make and the vehicle is expected to come out this fall. A FordRaptorForum.com user managed to capture some screenshots from Ford's eSourceBook application that reveals the upcoming Raptor's engine specifications.

According to the forum user, the Raptor's 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 engine will generate 450 horsepower and 510 pound-feet of torque. That's 39 horsepower and 76 pound-feet of torque more than the outgoing generation's 6.2-liter V8. A similar 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine can be found in the new Ford F-150 where it makes 365 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque, making Raptor's leaked figures believable. The same forum user also managed to get pictures of the Raptor's maximum towing capacity, which will come in at 8,000 pounds, the same amount as the previous generation.

While forums aren't the most accurate websites when it comes to leaked figures, Ford's product development chief Raj Nair revealed that the Raptor would produce 450 horsepower last year. If true, that's a lot of power from a truck with the ability to handle any type of terrain. The Raptor Supercab is rumored to have a price tag of $49,520, which would also make it somewhat of a bargain.

We reached out to Ford to confirm or deny the specs, but a spokesperson divertingly stated that the automaker would have more news to share about the vehicle as its launch date approaches.

Unsubstantiated rumors but a 450 HP stock Raptor makes me really want one

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
drat, ford has an amazing spread of engines nowadays, don't they? It seems like each one has a competitor inhouse, at least on paper. They're really killing it.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Shame ford parts fail and don't have stock? This story reminds me of friends expedition that was 6 years old and the computer controlling abs and stability control failed and was $700.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/09/ford-gives-search-part-mans-seven-year-old-f-150/

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

For the first time ever? you will be unable to purchase a Ford car that is made in the USA. Yes I know it's silly to talk about "nationalities" of car makers nowadays, it's always complicated, but still an interesting historical milestone:

quote:

Ford (F -1.5%) announces it will move all of its small-car production to Mexico over the next two to three years.The decision was revealed today by CEO Mark Fields at Ford's Investor Day event.Though the strategy is likely to become a political season talking point, it falls in line with a general trend in the automobile industry to send low-margin production to Mexico and increase the focus on SUV and truck output in the U.S.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

They're not moving the Mustang are they? I'm quibbling but the Taurus based Police Interceptor is still being built as well last I heard.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Is the non-fleet Taurus dead? What's the deal there? The large car segment matters so little they don't even have to have an entry?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Twerk from Home posted:

Is the non-fleet Taurus dead? What's the deal there? The large car segment matters so little they don't even have to have an entry?

Yeah, the 2016 is the last year of the Taurus. I read somewhere Ford found the market segment moving towards CUV/SUV like the Edge instead.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
China gets the new Taurus, we don't. Because they felt it wasn't even worth the trouble chasing the tiny pool of sales that is the full size sedan market.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

They should be chasing the tiny sales pool of the fusion wagon. :v:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

El Scotch posted:

They should be chasing the tiny sales pool of the fusion wagon. :v:

Not bad looking.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

D C posted:

Not bad looking.

Why the gently caress can't I just buy this right now? Take my money! It's not like I need dealerships to keep 20 in stock with different options. I'm happy to say order me this car with these options and I will pay the price for it. One 2017 Fusion Sport Wagon please.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

davebo posted:

Why the gently caress can't I just buy this right now? Take my money! It's not like I need dealerships to keep 20 in stock with different options. I'm happy to say order me this car with these options and I will pay the price for it. One 2017 Fusion Sport Wagon please.

You will buy an Explorer or Edge and like it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

How is it that Honda and Toyota can make make their small cars in Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky (and Canada), yet Ford needs to move production to Mexico?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

davebo posted:

Funny how this is the common argument but nobody actually buys them when they are around.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm probably going to go against all common sense and buy a loving Volkswagen when they launch the Golf AllTrack with the manual transmission that they've promised.

It just loving sucks that the only car that ticks all the boxes (AWD manual wagon) is a god drat VW.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Bovril Delight posted:

Funny how this is the common argument but nobody actually buys them when they are around.

turn left thread, nooo

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
This thing popped up on my Youtube feed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j27bi3CnhvE

http://www.caradvice.com.au/420210/2017-toyota-c-hr-revealed-australian-debut-on-the-cards/

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Q_res posted:

China gets the new Taurus, we don't. Because they felt it wasn't even worth the trouble chasing the tiny pool of sales that is the full size sedan market.

Isn't the new Chinese Taurus just a Lincoln Continental with a different hood ornament and option packages (because Lincoln doesn't exist there)?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

D C posted:

Not bad looking.

I'm dryly amused because a little while after making my inane post, I found this was also posted today unbeknownst to me. :v::v:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'll probably end up doing something dumb like buying a Polestar V60 in a few years to satisfy my wagon craving

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

EnergizerFellow posted:

Isn't the new Chinese Taurus just a Lincoln Continental with a different hood ornament and option packages (because Lincoln doesn't exist there)?

More like the Lincoln Continental is pretty much the same as the old Taurus

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Bovril Delight posted:

Sure, I'll buy it.

When it's five years old and on a certified pre-owned lot. :smug:

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

go3 posted:

I'll probably end up doing something dumb like buying a Polestar V60 in a few years to satisfy my wagon craving

I see one across the street every time I grab lunch at this one place... and it's really starting to tempt me.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Sure, I'll buy it.

When it's five years old and on a certified pre-owned lot. :smug:

gently caress, why don't the manufactures just release a 5 year old model directly to the certified pre owned car lots.

I think we're onto something here.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Bajaha posted:

gently caress, why don't the manufactures just release a 5 year old model directly to the certified pre owned car lots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr6FklMc6B0

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bajaha posted:

I think what you're thinking about is dodge, and dodge dealers.

You can go in and buy a 4500lb car with a cast iron block pushrod V8 for $34,000.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
A majority of the suv's are just 5-10 year old large car platforms with a new skin. Ford edge won't die.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Guinness posted:

I'm probably going to go against all common sense and buy a loving Volkswagen when they launch the Golf AllTrack with the manual transmission that they've promised.

It just loving sucks that the only car that ticks all the boxes (AWD manual wagon) is a god drat VW.

Jesus man, don't do it. I'm selling my 2014 STI wagon, just buy that. It's a rare "unmodified" version too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Bovril Delight posted:

I don't quite get this argument. When was the last time Americans were given the opportunity to purchase a non-luxury wagon that had a decent amount of power but didn't get garbage mileage because it was a 4,000 lbs Dodge? The Volvo V60 is about as close as it comes but I'd still classify those prices as luxury.