Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

RBY
GSC
RSE
DPPt
BW
XY

I won't let you fools break this standard, which only platinum almost breaks, with your sumo wrestlers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Leaning towards Sun because I like Solgaleo because it reminds me of GaoGaiGar

This is a great reason on its own, what more convincing could you need?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

El Burbo posted:

RBY
GSC
RSE
DPPt
BW
XY

I won't let you fools break this standard, which only platinum almost breaks, with your sumo wrestlers!
B2/W2
ORAS

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

IDGAF

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

B2/W2
ORAS

Those aren't the first versions!

Remakes and sequels include the second letter because they're two words!

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Dexie posted:

They wouldn't be hyping him that hard if it was the case.

Then again, Lucario...

Lucario is kind of a bad example since you got a Riolu egg halfway through the game in Diamond and Pearl. Many of the later games now have it available before you get your first badge.

Rockruff might be a second attempt to emulate Lucario's success, while avoiding the mistakes made with Zoroark, but who really knows now (making it available early on in-game, and even making it the partner of the protagonist in that Sun and Moon manga).

If I had to pin down a pseudo-legendary for Gen VII, it would be Jangmo-o.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

being given a pokemon in an egg might as well be giving me that pokemon in the post game as far as I'm concerned

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
speaking of eggs, as much as I hated baby pokemon when they first debuted. I do kinda wish new baby pokemon come out. Won't happen but only one gen's worth of babies isn't enough! Pichu and elekid were super adorable.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it's SM. Not my fault you're so pervy that you would immediately think of bdsm action.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cancerianmoth posted:

speaking of eggs, as much as I hated baby pokemon when they first debuted. I do kinda wish new baby pokemon come out. Won't happen but only one gen's worth of babies isn't enough! Pichu and elekid were super adorable.

Baby pokemon are completely worthless and I hope they never add more of them.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
I just realized theres been no word of any new megas yet huh?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

They don't exist in this timeline

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

cancerianmoth posted:

i agree sincerely

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

They don't exist in this timeline

they do exist, and theyre going to introduce more of them. look forward to it this november

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
SM makes me think of BDSM but I like it that way

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

when people call it s&m I can't help but see the connection, but sm brings nothing to mind at all

a powerful ampersand

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Bulbasaur - sub
Charmander - dom
Squirtle - switch

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You're going to be able to find mega stones in SM's post-game.

I made this post so I could get a feel for whether I like calling it SM. It seems fine to me.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mega Primeape or Alolan Primeape, please.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

In Sun, Team Skull is the enemy and there are Mega Evolutions. In Moon, Aether Corp is the enemy and you eat poo poo.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I read it in a corocoro leak.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

*thinking about primeape* thats a good pokemon

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

sharrrk posted:

same, but when thinking about all pokemon

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I'm coming in hot as one of the old farts who hate on everything non-Gen 1 but I'm looking to get in on the Pokemon Sun and Moon action because I've been getting primed from PoGo.

So I know it's fairly simple and really based on luck and a simple check to manage IVs in PoGo, but how does everyone do it on the modern Pokemon games? I know breeding is mostly for getting good moves on Pokemon that would normally not learn the move through its base moveset or TMs, but does min-maxing IVs involve a ton of breeding? Or am I mixing all this up and IVs are just as unknown as in PoGo unless you have some way to check it? And if a mon's IVs suck, do you just have to keep catching more until you get a good one? Or is there a way to manually improve a mon's IV?

Basically I just want to find out how crazy one can be involved in modern Pokemon games and how deep I want to dive into it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Willsun posted:

I'm coming in hot as one of the old farts who hate on everything non-Gen 1 but I'm looking to get in on the Pokemon Sun and Moon action because I've been getting primed from PoGo.

So I know it's fairly simple and really based on luck and a simple check to manage IVs in PoGo, but how does everyone do it on the modern Pokemon games? I know breeding is mostly for getting good moves on Pokemon that would normally not learn the move through its base moveset or TMs, but does min-maxing IVs involve a ton of breeding? Or am I mixing all this up and IVs are just as unknown as in PoGo unless you have some way to check it? And if a mon's IVs suck, do you just have to keep catching more until you get a good one? Or is there a way to manually improve a mon's IV?

Basically I just want to find out how crazy one can be involved in modern Pokemon games and how deep I want to dive into it.

I usually end up with about three boxes of rejects when I breed a "perfect" pokemon. Note that "perfect" usually means "almost-perfect", because truly perfect pokemon are about 31 times rarer than almost-perfect ones.

That said, IVs literally do not matter at all unless you're doing competitive. Levelling up once makes more difference than having perfect IVs.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

all pokemon are perfect in arceus' eyes

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

cheetah7071 posted:

I usually end up with about three boxes of rejects when I breed a "perfect" pokemon. Note that "perfect" usually means "almost-perfect", because truly perfect pokemon are about 31 times rarer than almost-perfect ones.

Yeah like with PoGo I'm okay with accepting 80% and higher and considering the 90%+ region to be lucky. I just hate the feeling of putting in a ton of work in a mon that has poo poo for IVs. That said, how do you breed to create better IVs, or is there a guide I can be pointed to? And seriously how do you even check IVs in the normal Pokemon games?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Has anyone noticed that "S&M" is both the acronym for the latest pokemon title and the acronym for a sexual relationship preference?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Willsun posted:

Yeah like with PoGo I'm okay with accepting 80% and higher and considering the 90%+ region to be lucky. I just hate the feeling of putting in a ton of work in a mon that has poo poo for IVs. That said, how do you breed to create better IVs, or is there a guide I can be pointed to? And seriously how do you even check IVs in the normal Pokemon games?

You can only check in the post-game. There's a guy who says what the highest value is, and which stats have that value.

Normally, when breeding, three stats are picked randomly. For each of those stats, one parent is picked randomly. The child will have the same value as the picked parent in each of those three stats. If either parent is holding a destiny knot, five stats are picked instead.

Combined with all pokemon caught in the friend safari (also postgame) having two perfect IVs, you can bootstrap up like that.

Seriously though, IVs do not matter. Even in competitive, IVs on stats other than speed Do Not Matter. You're stressing out about a hypothetical that you will never notice and will never have any bearing on how you play.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Willsun posted:

Yeah like with PoGo I'm okay with accepting 80% and higher and considering the 90%+ region to be lucky. That said though, how do you breed to create better IVs, or is there a guide I can be pointed to? And seriously how do you even check IVs in the normal Pokemon games?

Generation 7 introduces a new mechanic that can allow you to maximize a pokemon's IVs directly, using an online service. We don't have many details yet, but it can only be done to pokemon that are already level 100. The rest of this post describes generation 6's mechanics.

In generation 6, there's a dude in the post-game city who can identify whether a pokemon has a perfect IV in a stat. There are a few places where you're guaranteed to catch pokemon with 2 or 3 perfect IVs. This includes pokemon that can't breed (legendaries and babies) and pokemon you catch in friend safaris. The rest comes from breeding.

Normally, when breeding, exactly two IVs (selected at random) are passed down from the parents, with the other four being regenerated randomly. If one of the parents is holding one of the six EV-training Power items, it guarantees that one of the two IVs inherited will be that particular IV from that parent. If one of the parents is holding a Destiny Knot, then five of the six IVs instead of two are passed down.

By starting with pokemon caught with two perfect IVs, you can breed them with various combinations of Power item and Destiny Knot until you get a baby with three. Then you introduce that one in and continue the breeding until you get one with four, and eventually five. You'll never have a better than 1/31 chance to get a baby with all six IVs perfect. You should stop at five. Once you have a good selection of 5IV babies in various egg groups, you can then use them (with a Destiny Knot, of course) to introduce egg moves and the correct nature into your eugenics program.

If that sounds tedious, it is. However, everybody who cares has already done it years ago. This method generates a lot of genetically superior breeding stock that is not quite perfect, and the best way to get rid of it is through Wonder Trade. As a result, Wonder Trading gives you a pretty high probability of skipping a lot of the early steps because you've received something that's already 5IV, but the wrong one is imperfect.

I recommend using the marking feature to indicate which of a pokemon's IVs are perfect as identified by the IV judge.

It is always a bad idea to attempt to manipulate IVs before postgame. There are other things that are more important to competitive success than IVs are, and they're completely inaccessible until postgame. Also unavailable until postgame are the tools you need to make large-scale breeding projects efficient.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Generation naming had never made sense.

Rby = really only yellow, rb has nothing to do with it
Gsc = same as above but crystal
Adv = no mention of the games at all
Dpp = don't mention hgss at all
Bw2 = w/e probably the closest to correct
Oras = sure

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

tbp posted:

Generation naming had never made sense.

Rby = really only yellow, rb has nothing to do with it
Gsc = same as above but crystal
Adv = no mention of the games at all
Dpp = don't mention hgss at all
Bw2 = w/e probably the closest to correct
Oras = sure

this post confuses me

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

rby is short for ruby, gamefreak were foreshadowing gen 3 from the start!!!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
once you get at least one 5v pokemon, it's not that bad.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The single player campaigns are easy enough that IVs are a non factor. Don't worry about them, and just play through with whatever Pokemon you want.

They only matter in multiplayer, and S&M are introducing an easier way to mess with them anyway.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Mega Primeape or Alolan Primeape, please.

Same.

sharrrk posted:

Same. Hes been one of my favorites since 1996

E: holy poo poo his mega can wear his championship belt and have golden gloves!!!!!!!!

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

cancerianmoth posted:

azuril, mime jr, munchlax, bonsly, happiny, budew, mantyke, chingling, and riolu my dude

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, Gen V didn't have any because all the Pokemon were unrelated to the old ones. And for some reason, they thought limiting you to only the new Pokemon for BW's main game would be a good idea. Thank goodness they didn't keep that idiocy going for any future games.

Gen VI pretty much had all new mins aside from Sylveon.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, Gen V didn't have any because all the Pokemon were unrelated to the old ones. And for some reason, they thought limiting you to only the new Pokemon for BW's main game would be a good idea. Thank goodness they didn't keep that idiocy going for any future games.

Actually that was cool and rad cause you got to see a lot of new guys in action instead of pokemon you had seen and used for 4 gens previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If you evolve an Eevee that did not come from gen 6, it will not flag Sylveon as owned in your Pokedex.

Bumping this because it's good information. Thanks for the tip!