Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Fat Shat Sings posted:

3/4ths or more of losing weight is diet. If you get fat again it's not because broccoli magically now comes filled with marshmallow cream it's that you stopping giving a poo poo what you ate and probably went back to exactly your old habits of eating way too much of the wrong things.

I think you misunderstood. I didn't mean sustaining that level of weight, I meant sustaining that level of weight loss. A maintenance diet is naturally much easier than a loss diet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Fat Shat Sings posted:

3/4ths or more of losing weight is diet. If you get fat again it's not because broccoli magically now comes filled with marshmallow cream it's that you stopping giving a poo poo what you ate and probably went back to exactly your old habits of eating way too much of the wrong things.

Yup. I know exactly why I've gained weight; it's all been in the last two months and in that time I've been to a bunch of weddings and parties and I've been going out after work for a beer or two like three nights a week because it's been nice and sunny out.

Now it's not so nice I'll stop doing that, cut a couple of hundred calories a day out for a month or so and it'll come back off.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
If you ain't got the 'beetus, or some tricky preexisting medical condition, you could go about 48 hours with only water without any harm while taking a good chunk of calories out of your body. Even the hunger isn't that bad after the 18+ hour mark. Just remember to eat sensibly on the other days.

It wouldn't hurt to take a multivitamin with a glass of milk each day to make sure you're not COMPLETELY devoid of nutrients.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
fasting is a great way to lose weight if you don't mind losing muscle while you're doing it

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

runupon cracker posted:

fasting is a great way to lose weight if you don't mind losing muscle while you're doing it

If you are exercising, specifically strength training, and getting an adequate amount of protein, muscle loss should be minimal. Especially if we are just talking 2 days tops. You shouldn't experience any kind cataclysmic break down or whatever from that.

Not a crazy amount of protein, just enough so you aren't totally deprived. Might not count as a true fast I guess, but if calories are kept relatively low your weight loss will be pretty quick.

Wicker Man fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 15, 2016

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Wicker Man posted:

If you are exercising, specifically strength training, and getting an adequate amount of protein, muscle loss should be minimal. Especially if we are just talking 2 days tops. You shouldn't experience any kind cataclysmic break down or whatever from that.

Not a crazy amount of protein, just enough so you aren't totally deprived. Might not count as a true fast I guess, but if calories are kept relatively low your weight loss will be pretty quick.

how do you get an adequate amount of protein when you're fasting

edit: saw your edit

the thing I'm trying to get across here is that your liver can only metabolize fat so fast, so you can only lose weight so fast without losing muscle. Nobody who is 100 lbs overweight is going to lose that 100 lbs in a couple of months, even with a complete fast, and if they do fast until they lose 100 lbs they're going to lose a lot of muscle. Significant weight loss is a slow process.

Tinestram fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 15, 2016

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Getting obese is super easy because all you need to do is eat a bit more than your required calorie intake for a few years and you'll get there without even thinking about it, losing weight is pretty easy because all you need to do is eat a bit less that your required calorie intake for a few years and you'll get there pretty easily too.

Trying to not eat for days so you can be not fat in a few months is dumb and hard.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
The easiest way to lose weight and get in shape is to become a lumberjack in the mountains of Canada.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Quote-Unquote posted:

Duh, the point is it isn't an accomplishment to lose weight. That would imply you had to really work at it as opposed to just getting off your butt once in a while and eating a bit less.

Youre stupid, sorry.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

lazorexplosion posted:

Getting obese is super easy because all you need to do is eat a bit more than your required calorie intake for a few years and you'll get there without even thinking about it, losing weight is pretty easy because all you need to do is eat a bit less that your required calorie intake for a few years and you'll get there pretty easily too.

Trying to not eat for days so you can be not fat in a few months is dumb and hard.

For someone very obese who's probably got other health issues going on, I don't recommend that at all. My fault for not specifying that.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

lazorexplosion posted:

Thats ignorant, for many people the urge to overreat stems from serious psychological issues so its not that easy to eat less

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Carmant posted:

Youre stupid, sorry.

You're fat.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Carmant posted:

Youre stupid, sorry.

I'm starting to think you aren't being ironic.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Okay? You're fat as well apparently, big deal.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Carmant posted:

:confused: I'm 160lbs which is like bang in the middle of the ideal weight range for my height, though I would like to lose a bit for aesthetic reasons. And because I'm not retarded I can just eat a bit less for a few weeks and like magic I lose weight.

You're fat and think you have some miraculous physics defying body.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

If he isn't being ironic or trolling then he made a sincere 'fat shaming is wrong' thread in gbs so being fat is the least of his problems.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Carmant posted:

Thats ignorant, for many people the urge to overreat stems from serious psychological issues so its not that easy to eat less

No you're just a fatty stop making excuses. At least be a normal sized sadbrains instead of a fat sadbrains, it'll help your sadbrains.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

This should be a splash page on every HAES blog like the Surgeon General's Warning on cigarette packs.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Quote-Unquote posted:

:confused: I'm 160lbs which is like bang in the middle of the ideal weight range for my height, though I would like to lose a bit for aesthetic reasons. And because I'm not retarded I can just eat a bit less for a few weeks and like magic I lose weight.

You're fat and think you have some miraculous physics defying body.

Then you were never fat so why are you talking about how easy it is for a fat person to lose weight when youve never been in that situation? Clearly you are retarded.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I would imagine a not-fat would be an expert on being not-fat.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Okay yeah I'm fat, 5'3 and 250 lbs so not quite obese but a little more weight than I'd like. I'm still fairly healthy and I exercise every day. I'm not saying you can be morbidly obese and being in perfect health but it's not like you'll die at 50 from being a little overweight. Oh no I won't live an extra 3 yrs or whatever, big deal.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Carmant posted:

Don't fat-shame, idiot.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Carmant posted:

Then you were never fat so why are you talking about how easy it is for a fat person to lose weight when youve never been in that situation? Clearly you are retarded.

I was overweight for my height, then I lost weight, then gained a little bit back and now I'm in the middle of the bracket for my height. I achieved this with the crazy strategy of 'eating a bit less' and 'moving a bit more' and it was really easy.

I'm not sure how this is complicated but maybe the fat has broken your sadbrains even more?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Carmant posted:

Okay yeah I'm fat, 5'3 and 250 lbs so not quite obese but a little more weight than I'd like. I'm still fairly healthy and I exercise every day. I'm not saying you can be morbidly obese and being in perfect health but it's not like you'll die at 50 from being a little overweight. Oh no I won't live an extra 3 yrs or whatever, big deal.

that is (e: morbidly) obese my good friend. e: 44.3 BMI. okay, I'm back to thinking this is a troll.

Germstore fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 15, 2016

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Quote-Unquote posted:

I was overweight for my height, then I lost weight, then gained a little bit back and now I'm in the middle of the bracket for my height. I achieved this with the crazy strategy of 'eating a bit less' and 'moving a bit more' and it was really easy.

I'm not sure how this is complicated but maybe the fat has broken your sadbrains even more?

Sorry you're so dumb that you can't understand human psychology or anything complicated

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
5'3 and 250lbs is insanely fat.

Being that short and that fat you might actually be taller lying on your back

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

No one could think a BMI in the mid 40s is a just "a little more weight than I'd like" right? Right?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Carmant posted:

Sorry you're so dumb that you can't understand human psychology or anything complicated

How do you manage to move the goalposts so much and still not lose weight? That poo poo is heavy

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Quote-Unquote posted:

How do you manage to move the goalposts so much and still not lose weight? That poo poo is heavy

Lol.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Quote-Unquote posted:

Youre a sad, sad person

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Carmant posted:

You are almost double my weight and I'm 7 inches taller than you. That's insane dude. You're going to die.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

We're either being trolled or this is the greatest gift ever bestowed on a fat thread.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Carmant posted:

That is morbidly obese by a wide margin. I am speaking as a 5'10 male who is less than 250lb and is not a "little" overweight, I am obese.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

It has to be a troll. If he had tacked on a few inches he could have got away with it.

I'm 5'9" and the day my scale hit 230 loving catapulted me into life changing self improvement. I was definitely obese. I've since lost 50-55 pounds and am still overweight.

But, it really isn't that hard. It's work, sure. When I first started I went on a very strict diet and hit the gym 5 days a week and the weight melted away... 2-3 pounds a week. Now, I lift weights 2-3 times a week and go hiking once a week, and by passing on dessert, snacks, and soda/juice I'm able to lose weight at a steady pace.

If you are fat and can't lose weight it is because you have psychological problems that are causing you to give up too soon when you try to move, or give in to food temptations. Get therapy.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I've been obese most of my life, and I definitely don't think for the most part it's a psychological problem that requires therapy. I've lost a lot in the last year just by finally buckling down and making it a habit. It takes effort more than anything else.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Kashuno posted:

I've been obese most of my life, and I definitely don't think for the most part it's a psychological problem that requires therapy. I've lost a lot in the last year just by finally buckling down and making it a habit. It takes effort more than anything else.

I agree. But, it seems like the excuse is always "it's not that easy." when it actually is. If you don't have the willpower to stop shoving garbage (or massive amounts of not garbage) down your throat, you probably need someone to help you through your issues with food. I say therapy because this lack of willpower also leads to quitting when working with a trainer or nutritionist. Therapy is needed to get to the root of why someone would give up and just accept that they look and feel like poo poo.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I am 5'7 and 365 pounds and I describe myself as "a little extra" to people

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
We should give experience points to fats and throw them level up parties when they hit milestones.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i have to wonder if obesity would even be a problem if soda wasn't a thing because without fail hambeasts always have a big gulp filled with... something. theres only so many solid calories you can cram in your mouth but there is no practical upper limit to how much soda your body can drink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

nigga crab pollock posted:

i have to wonder if obesity would even be a problem if soda wasn't a thing because without fail hambeasts always have a big gulp filled with... something

and EVEN diet soda cant be all that great for you if you're drinking 30+ ounces at a time

People can still get fat on fruit and a life of leisure, although it is objectively harder than just gulping down sugar water by the litter.

• Locked thread