Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Retro Futurist posted:

China Mieville

Yea, I forgot I mentioned Mieville's Dial H as well.

Selachian posted:

Off the top of my head, Tamora Pierce (who's a big name in YA fantasy fiction) did a White Tiger mini for Marvel a few years back, and Jonathan Lethem wrote that Omega the Unknown miniseries that pissed off Steve Gerber.

Can't believe I forgot Lethem as I have read a few of his books as well as Omega the Unknown.
Also just thought of Michael Chabon who wrote some Escapist comics with BKV, though that seems a bit like a cheat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Madkal posted:

I got my girlfriend a copy of Angel Catbird because she is a big Margaret Atwood fan, and we got talking about famous authors who went on to write comics (even if it was briefly).
The names I came up with were Jodi Picoult (Wonder Woman), Brad Meltzer (Identity Crisis/JLA), Stephen King (a whole bunch of one shots and backup for American Vampire). I was drawing a blank on any other though. Any other big name writers who wrote some comic books (even briefly)?

Is it any good?

Joe Hill wrote prose before comics, no? I knew him from Heart Shaped Box at least.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Not as well known as some of the others named (or at least I hadnt heard of him before his comics run), but Charlie Huston wrote a pretty good run of moon knight.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Samuel R. Delany wrote two issues of Wonder Woman back in 1972.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SiKboy posted:

Not as well known as some of the others named (or at least I hadnt heard of him before his comics run), but Charlie Huston wrote a pretty good run of moon knight.

I liked his fiction when I was younger. I think he did urban fantasy stuff. I'll have to read his moon knight run.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Gregg Hurwitz is another.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Halloween Jack posted:

Can someone...explain...Professor Pyg to me? I wanted to like everything Morrison did with Batman, but Pyg just came across as a crazy ranting idiot who says random things and bounces between random schemes. Even when other Batman villains do that, there's a throughline that gives them a distinct appeal. I just don't get Pyg.

He's kind of like the Mad Hatter, but inspired by Pygmalion (or more specifically; the song Pygmalism), and Harry Harlow (the wire mother, and I think one of titles refers to a Doctor HaHa)

I'm a big fan obviously.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Michael Chabon wrote the novel Kavalier and Clay, where two men create a comic book called The Escapist, and then wrote an actual Escapist comic.

Harlan Ellison was (and is) mostly a short story writer, but he's been in and out of comics since forever. His collection Dream Corridor is really good.

I feel like there's been a lot of other classic scifi writers who tried comics but never went very deep into the medium.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Meltzer is famous? For what, me to poop on?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How is Angel Catbird?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Julio Cortazar got name dropped in a plot line in the semi-bootleg Mexican Fantomas comics (these are incredibly
Fascinating in their own right btw), and I guess was so tickled by it that he went on to write a half prose half comic hybrid using that original art that was a very metatextual detective plot about the evils of multinational corporations. It's quite short, but fun.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Scaramouche posted:

Meltzer is famous? For what, me to poop on?

His novels. And he does some nice kids books in his Ordinary People Change the World series. Chris Eliopoulos does the art. And I believe he helped create super hero versions of those family stickers you see on people's back windshields.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

How is Angel Catbird?

Just got it for her last night and it was wrapped so don't know it looks on the inside, by the synopsis on the back made it seem over the top silly. Seeing as the only Atwood I have read has been Handmaid's Tale I don't know if an over the top silly comic is something Atwood would be known to do or not.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

lifg posted:

Harlan Ellison was (and is) mostly a short story writer, but he's been in and out of comics since forever. His collection Dream Corridor is really good.

During the second incarnation of Dial H for Hero, they used heroes and villains sent in by readers. Most of the submitters were kids and teenagers, but then there was this guy .... (Note the caption box at the bottom.)

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Jordan7hm posted:

Is it any good?

Joe Hill wrote prose before comics, no? I knew him from Heart Shaped Box at least.

He still does, and Heart Shaped Box is very good.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
What's the current status of Captain Nazi America? (I'm literally at least a year behind on my actual reading. :sigh:) I heard that the cause of the whole thing was a bad Cosmic Cube, but did they ever fix it?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

prefect posted:

What's the current status of Captain Nazi America? (I'm literally at least a year behind on my actual reading. :sigh:) I heard that the cause of the whole thing was a bad Cosmic Cube, but did they ever fix it?

Still ticking time bomb. There's some hinting in future solicits that it's going to come to a head with Sam and Bucky after CW2 ends, but who knows.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

Not yet, but ironically Cap's being a triple agent and going behind Red Skull's back all on his own because he thinks Skull is a poor leader for HYDRA and Steve wants to Make HYDRA Great Again :smugdon:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Madkal posted:

I got my girlfriend a copy of Angel Catbird because she is a big Margaret Atwood fan, and we got talking about famous authors who went on to write comics (even if it was briefly).
The names I came up with were Jodi Picoult (Wonder Woman), Brad Meltzer (Identity Crisis/JLA), Stephen King (a whole bunch of one shots and backup for American Vampire). I was drawing a blank on any other though. Any other big name writers who wrote some comic books (even briefly)?

Hard Sci-fi writer Richard K. Morgan wrote two Black Widow mini series.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

As for my question, I remember during Mark Millar's Spider-man run where he is going through his stuff and finds a photo of his past and says "Ben Reilly. God rest his soul."

And it was a nice little reminder about how some comic characters have really sucky endings and you can just list their name and say "God rest their soul."
Who else are characters who met really bad endings that so far haven't been reversed.

1) Ben Reilly
2) Eric Masters on
3) Charcoal: The Burning Man.
4) Mila Donovan
5) Jack Munroe.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jack Munroe's the most depressing story ever.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And then Bucky killed him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It seems that characters who spun off from a better-known character have a marked tendency to be killed off and forgotten about, often with little fanfare.

Milla Donovan's story is depressing, but it's a rare instance of a writer actually going through with a hero's family being irreparably harmed by his life choices. No ifs ands or buts, Milla would be better off if she'd never met Matt Murdoch.

I don't think any of the guys you mentioned had it as bad as Shift and Indigo from DC's Outsiders. Not even Jack Munroe. It's pretty rare for a superhero to tell another superhero that he's not a person and should commit suicide. Rarer still for that guy to be forced to kill his girlfriend and then say "I think I'll take you up on that."

Madelyne Pryor also had it really, really bad for long complicated reasons I won't go into.

I would name D-Man, but I hear they brought him back.

Aztek blew himself up to help defeat a villain nobody remembers now.

AFAIK, the original Anarky ended his superhero career in juvenile detention.

The Un-Men from American Freak

Wildstorm's DV8. Every character on the team was a mentally ill teenager with superpowers, pressed into service as super-soldiers. I don't know what's been done with them since the Worldstorm and all that, but the book had a higher body count than any version of Suicide Squad I've ever read, and those who didn't die along the way I'm pretty sure died in the series finale.

Vision has died a dozen times, to the point where I think it's a philosophical question whether or not he's the same person. The rest of the Avengers don't seem to particularly care when he dies, either.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 15, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Comic character might be a bit of a stretch, but I recall there being a Batman Beyond villain that could phase through walls. Her powers went outta control and she just phased down through the Earth into oblivion.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It was a guy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Vision has died a dozen times, to the point where I think it's a philosophical question whether or not he's the same person. The rest of the Avengers don't seem to particularly care when he dies, either.

Jonah, who the Young Avengers didn't rebuild on the basis that Cassie died and therefore he'd just be angry and sad all the time. Whoops!

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Shadowhawk died of AIDS so that was a bummer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Jonah, who the Young Avengers didn't rebuild on the basis that Cassie died and therefore he'd just be angry and sad all the time. Whoops!

I didn't say that. :(

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't say that. :(

I'm literally confused by what this post means, I was just adding on to the Vision thing. IIRC Jonah was the "new Vision" after Disassembled, but then Vanilla Vision came back so I guess they thought Vision Jr. was no longer needed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I'm literally confused by what this post means, I was just adding on to the Vision thing. IIRC Jonah was the "new Vision" after Disassembled, but then Vanilla Vision came back so I guess they thought Vision Jr. was no longer needed.

Your post is quoting me saying something someone else said.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Your post is quoting me saying something someone else said.

Oh, huh. I have no idea how that happened.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ventriloquism!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If we're counting villains, one of the Scourges of the Underworld was just unceremoniously given the Death Dust treatment by the Red Skull for loving up. Another got killed by the Ameridroid. The insensitively-named Mother Night got blown away by Bucky. Red Skull shot Superia in the face, then she showed up alive later due to Cosmic Cube shenanigans. Crossbones killed Cutthroat, who showed up alive years later with no explanation at all.

Johann doesn't give a gently caress if his stupid minions kill each other. He's pretty good at arming and unleashing third-rate villains on the world just to demoralize the public and waste Steve's time without it blowing back on him. Joker could learn something from him.

Then there was Blitzkrieger, one of the German government's super Nazi hunters. He got killed by his teammate Zeitgeist, a man covered in clock faces, who was actually Everyman, a lame supervillain disguised as one of the only German words Mark Gruenwald knew.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lobok posted:

Superventriloquism!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

It was a guy.

Right right, mixed him with Inque for some stupid reason. I should rewatch that series.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Baby May Parker.

Also Mettle, and pretty much every character in Avengers Academy who didn't show up someone else first. Limbo sucks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SonicRulez posted:

Right right, mixed him with Inque for some stupid reason. I should rewatch that series.

Maybe it's because Inque is also the source of some body horror stuff when she agrees to share the serum that gave her her powers with an accomplice, then tricks him and gives him half the stuff, which turns him into a grotesque, misshapen blob creature.

The one that made the biggest impression on me was in "April Moon" where Terry realises the failsafe that'll deactivate the bad guys' cybernetic implants, and when he uses it one guy's robotic arms and legs just fall off him in pieces.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

As for my question, I remember during Mark Millar's Spider-man run where he is going through his stuff and finds a photo of his past and says "Ben Reilly. God rest his soul."

Wouldnt he just look at the photo and go 'Huh, I dont remember dressing like this.'? :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Wouldnt he just look at the photo and go 'Huh, I dont remember dressing like this.'? :v:

Maybe it was when Ben had his hair bleached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Unless he for real came back later the D-Man thing was a joke. A guy tried to summon a demon but messed the spell up and so he summoned D-Man. Who then proceeds to have the best day of his life... right as the final incursion happens.