Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Carmant posted:

Youre a sad, sad person

Post your healthy pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
As to the title of this thread I'd say it depends on where you are. In places like America where there are so many fatties that they've developed herd immunity to fat shaming, then yeah it's just mean and kind of pointless.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I agree. But, it seems like the excuse is always "it's not that easy." when it actually is. If you don't have the willpower to stop shoving garbage (or massive amounts of not garbage) down your throat, you probably need someone to help you through your issues with food. I say therapy because this lack of willpower also leads to quitting when working with a trainer or nutritionist. Therapy is needed to get to the root of why someone would give up and just accept that they look and feel like poo poo.

Yeah, there's no way they could be giving up because it's hard, it has to be some mental incapacity. I mean heck, all they're doing is ignoring the mental pressure exerted by a primal instinct, strengthened by the body actively fighting against weight loss, for months or maybe years on end. What could be difficult about that?

Look, I agree that people shouldn't give up on something just because it's hard. But what I don't get is why it's somehow considered bad to acknowledge that it is hard for nearly everybody that does it. It was easy for you? Hey wow congrats on being the exception, but that doesn't mean that everybody who has real difficulty with it is somehow mentally ill.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Zo posted:

As to the title of this thread I'd say it depends on where you are. In places like America where there are so many fatties that they've developed herd immunity to fat shaming, then yeah it's just mean and kind of pointless.

We should "thin the herd"

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It can be mentally taxing to stop eating bad food to some people. "Comfort food" is real, you get into the habit of eating certain foods to calm anxiety and stress and become dependant on it. At that point you need coaching or help to change your thinking.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

nigga crab pollock posted:

i have to wonder if obesity would even be a problem if soda wasn't a thing because without fail hambeasts always have a big gulp filled with... something. theres only so many solid calories you can cram in your mouth but there is no practical upper limit to how much soda your body can drink

I quit soda long before I started losing weight. There really isn't an upper limit on solid food that will stop you from gaining weight. I used to order a large pizza just for myself, along with wings and a 2liter. It's a combination of things but almost anything you drink is going to have calories in it and I can easily go have a PSL these days and still be on track to lose the same amount of weight. It's the people who think "oh I will just lose 100+lbs by quitting soda!" that will have the hardest time losing

notZaar posted:

It can be mentally taxing to stop eating bad food to some people. "Comfort food" is real, you get into the habit of eating certain foods to calm anxiety and stress and become dependant on it. At that point you need coaching or help to change your thinking.

This is definitely true. People can get into habits where it physically feels weird not to eat something at a specific time. For a long time I would have the above mentioned pizza order every sunday night, without fail. When I cut that out the first couple months I felt strange eating something else and honestly felt unsatisfied and more hungry.

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 15, 2016

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

runupon cracker posted:

Yeah, there's no way they could be giving up because it's hard, it has to be some mental incapacity. I mean heck, all they're doing is ignoring the mental pressure exerted by a primal instinct, strengthened by the body actively fighting against weight loss, for months or maybe years on end. What could be difficult about that?

What you've described is a mental incapacity, yes.

You know therapy is not only for the criminally insane, right? It helps you through difficult and challenging times in your life, when you can't do it yourself. Food is an addiction, just like any drug. We have no problem recommending drug addicts go through psychologic programs to get clean, so why would you object to fatasses being recommended the same for their addiction?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Sodas are bad, but yeah, there's no upper limit on the amount of calories you can eat from solid food because chinese food exists.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Also Taco Bell exists. I used to easily be able to do a 3000 calorie meal in one sitting back when I was a tub of lard.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

runupon cracker posted:

. It was easy for you? Hey wow congrats on being the exception, but that doesn't mean that everybody who has real difficulty with it is somehow mentally ill.

Sheeeit, I KNOW I have hosed up brains in regards to food. When I am making a meal and using small portions my brain straight-line has a panic reflex.... "Omg it isn't enough food....IT ISNT ENOUGH FOOD...." But I power through that poo poo anyway, because I would rather be hungry than fat.

But I also recognize that some people have no other source of joy in their lives, I have a kid I adore and a wife that I am quite fond of, and I have hobbies and other things going on, and I am able to recognize that it is only food, it isn't love.

Tldr - control yourself, you are a human, not an animal.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

A DQ large blizzard can have up to 1500 calories and people will it after eating the 2500 calorie meal. This will happen 2 or 3 times a week in some cases

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Over a billion people fast every day for like a month each year. A billion rare and mystifying exceptions :captainpop:

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Baskin Robbins (used to, I hope?) sell a heath bar shake that was 2300 calories and over 100g of fat. It is really loving easy to become a fatass if you don't learn self control.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

oldpainless posted:

A DQ large blizzard can have up to 1500 calories and people will it after eating the 2500 calorie meal. This will happen 2 or 3 times a week in some cases

Starbucks is worse. At least at DQ people can understand that Ice-cream has a ton of calories but a frappuccino/special drink can easily have a extra 300 to 600 calories yet still consider it like a regular coffee.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Potential parody thread: Flat shaming is wrong... theyve still got vaginas

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

gently caress the ROW posted:

Go for it. Whole lotta sexy surfboards out there need love too.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

gently caress the ROW posted:

Who the gently caress are people to tell me the Earth is round? Looks pretty flat to me when I look across the ocean :smug:

Zo posted:

Over a billion people fast every day for like a month each year. A billion rare and mystifying exceptions :captainpop:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah a lot of it is that especially in America our serving sizes are hosed and even in most restaurants calorie information isn't easily available. Example:

Five Guys
Bacon Cheeseburger 920
Regular Fries 953
Regular Drink 0-300
Total from one meal: 1873-2173

That's more than a single day of calorie intake in a single meal.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Now Im hungry

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

oldpainless posted:

great rules of thumb for fat people anyone when eating out

1. always order the smallest size of anything, the small fries will cure your craving just as well as the super size ones

2. never order more than 1 of anything, you don't need 2 huge slices of pizza for lunch or a 12" sub, one slice or one 6" sub will do

simple rules like this can cut your calories per meal in half without changing a goddamn thing about your routine, and is by far the easiest way to lose weight

it doesn't cost any money

it doesn't take any time

you don't give up the foods you love

it doesn't require you to alter your lifestyle one bit

you just eat less and by the magic of physics you *will* lose weight, fatass

skeevy achievements fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 15, 2016

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

Yeah a lot of it is that especially in America our serving sizes are hosed and even in most restaurants calorie information isn't easily available. Example:

Five Guys
Bacon Cheeseburger 920
Regular Fries 953
Regular Drink 0-300
Total from one meal: 1873-2173

That's more than a single day of calorie intake in a single meal.

Yeah that is a days worth of calories.... for an old women :grin:

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast
It is awesome how many positive posts about exercise and weight control have been made, but I think it's because all the fats have gravitated to the bottom of the forum in the QCS anti fat shaming thread.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
best part from that thread:

some sadbrains posted:

the irreversible proof of this, is if you click the reply tab on any of these threads with more than like 3 pages, the top posters are always the same handful of broken idiot people who hasn't made a funny post ever.

the level of :ironicat: is off the charts

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Goons expend a lot of air talking about eating habits and creating calorie deficits. They also beat the same strawman about misconceptions about metabolism. But what is much bigger than that is the cultural impact of weight in our society.

Women in particular are far more likely to be obese the poorer they are. Women also get far more poo poo for being fat in the first place, much of it undeserved; a person's self-worth shouldn't be tied to their waist measurement. Girls are growing up in an environment where the number on the scale suggests their own desirability, and if they don't fit that arbitrary and narrow definition then they're worthless. You've got girls as young as ten or younger obsessing about losing weight not because they're overweight by any stretch but because they've convinced themselves that just being yourself isn't enough in society, you have to conform to some arbitrary standard. You've got toxic parents with horrible eating habits and control issues themselves telling these girls 'clean your plate' but simultaneously judging them for their weight. So these girls grow up to be women with an extremely dysfunctional relationship to food and beauty. If they felt like growing up they couldn't meet all these crazy standards, then as adults it isn't going to be easy for them to convince themselves they can make healthy and positive changes in their life.

HAES people are delusional of course but their attitude didn't just spring out of nowhere. It was spawned from a culture that defines beauty fairly narrowly; much like how a person of color might reject beauty standards based on anglo features, a person that is a size 14 will reject beauty standards based on a size 0.

We need to treat food addiction like drug addiction. It is hard, of course, since we need food to live. But I see the same patterns in both categories- addicts that hide their stash from people that would judge them, lying to others/themselves about the depth of their problem, using the substance/food as a source of comfort, and surrounding themselves with enablers. A lot of people have told me that treating drug addiction like a moral problem is a big mistake we've made in the war on drugs, if we treated these problems more like psychological problems we could probably make far more inroads in managing them.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 15, 2016

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

Carmant posted:

Okay yeah I'm fat, 5'3 and 250 lbs so not quite obese but a little more weight than I'd like. I'm still fairly healthy and I exercise every day. I'm not saying you can be morbidly obese and being in perfect health but it's not like you'll die at 50 from being a little overweight. Oh no I won't live an extra 3 yrs or whatever, big deal.

If this isn't a troll, then loving lol. If you are 250 lbs at 5'3 then you are not "fairly healthy" or even close to it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You are not the number on the scale.

You are the number on the measuring tape, superchunk.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Blitter posted:

all the fats have gravitated to the bottom

no poo poo

Anyway

The important thing when losing weight is to try to get used to good habits. Other than cutting out the frankly ridiculous poo poo like soda and ranch dressing, most of your focus should go into having smaller portions of food that you already like. If you force yourself to eat stuff you hate, you're just gonna go right back to it when you've reached your target weight. And get MyFitnessPal or whatever and honestly record what you've eaten and drunk. Do it before you eat/drink, even. And include sauces/mayo/cheese/dressing etc because that poo poo is probably adding 10-100% of the total caloric intake of your meal depending on how much you drown your food (don't drown your food. Halve your condiment intake is a good rule generally).

And walk more. If you need to go somewhere within 2 miles of your house and it doesn't involve carrying something very heavy like a printer, then walk it instead of driving.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 15, 2016

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

ive lost about 40 lbs and now im disgusted by fat people cuz it turns out losing weight is pretty fuckin easy. the hard part is not lying to yourself about what ur stuffing in your fat mouth

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Blitter posted:

It is awesome how many positive posts about exercise and weight control have been made, but I think it's because all the fats have gravitated to the bottom of the forum in the QCS anti fat shaming thread.

Are they really doing it again? :dmca:

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Are you fat people trying to redefine the word "obese" again?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Are you fat people trying to redefine the word "obese" again?

Naw bro being 5 foot 3 inches and weighing 250 lbs is totally healthy

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
44.5 BMI only counts as "a little extra" on OkCupid.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Germstore posted:

44.5 BMI only counts as "a little extra" on OkCupid.

I'd love to date a bucket of Fried Chicken

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Panfilo posted:

Goons expend a lot of air talking about eating habits and creating calorie deficits. They also beat the same strawman about misconceptions about metabolism. But what is much bigger than that is the cultural impact of weight in our society.

Women in particular are far more likely to be obese the poorer they are. Women also get far more poo poo for being fat in the first place, much of it undeserved; a person's self-worth shouldn't be tied to their waist measurement. Girls are growing up in an environment where the number on the scale suggests their own desirability, and if they don't fit that arbitrary and narrow definition then they're worthless. You've got girls as young as ten or younger obsessing about losing weight not because they're overweight by any stretch but because they've convinced themselves that just being yourself isn't enough in society, you have to conform to some arbitrary standard. You've got toxic parents with horrible eating habits and control issues themselves telling these girls 'clean your plate' but simultaneously judging them for their weight. So these girls grow up to be women with an extremely dysfunctional relationship to food and beauty. If they felt like growing up they couldn't meet all these crazy standards, then as adults it isn't going to be easy for them to convince themselves they can make healthy and positive changes in their life.

HAES people are delusional of course but their attitude didn't just spring out of nowhere. It was spawned from a culture that defines beauty fairly narrowly; much like how a person of color might reject beauty standards based on anglo features, a person that is a size 14 will reject beauty standards based on a size 0.

We need to treat food addiction like drug addiction. It is hard, of course, since we need food to live. But I see the same patterns in both categories- addicts that hide their stash from people that would judge them, lying to others/themselves about the depth of their problem, using the substance/food as a source of comfort, and surrounding themselves with enablers. A lot of people have told me that treating drug addiction like a moral problem is a big mistake we've made in the war on drugs, if we treated these problems more like psychological problems we could probably make far more inroads in managing them.

I'm not a sociologist and don't know how to cure society of fatness

but I do know how to cure individuals of fatness

and I'll wager calorie counting against nascent sociological theory anytime

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Quote-Unquote posted:

The important thing when losing weight is to try to get used to good habits. Other than cutting out the frankly ridiculous poo poo like soda and ranch dressing, most of your focus should go into having smaller portions of food that you already like. If you force yourself to eat stuff you hate, you're just gonna go right back to it when you've reached your target weight. And get MyFitnessPal or whatever and honestly record what you've eaten and drunk. Do it before you eat/drink, even. And include sauces/mayo/cheese/dressing etc because that poo poo is probably adding 10-100% of the total caloric intake of your meal depending on how much you drown your food (don't drown your food. Halve your condiment intake is a good rule generally).

And walk more. If you need to go somewhere within 2 miles of your house and it doesn't involve carrying something very heavy like a printer, then walk it instead of driving.

Agreed. Although I will say that for most people, they should have smaller portions of some things, but larger portions of others. It's totally awesome to eat twice as much broccoli as you did before if you're eating half the meat and potatoes, because you're still going to come out with fewer calories and be better satiated than if you didn't up the broccoli.

The best way to handle sauces/mayo/cheese/dressing is to replace them completely with spices you like instead. Spices (generally) don't have calories, and your food will still taste as yummy if you're doing it right. Salt is a bogeyman and not nearly as harmful as people make it out to be... if you're losing weight, you're better off getting a little more salt than you should than getting all those calories from ranch dressing.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Sauce handling strategies ITT.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
it's very important to know how to handle your sauce :cmon:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Blitter posted:

I had to go see this for myself holy crap what a bunch of whiny babies.

The forums stomps on things I am/enjoy/whatever all the time and most of it is eye rolling dumb as this is. Plain mean spirited judging from people who don't really have a deep understanding of whatever it is cause I know better but instead of huffing how mean old goons can be I just you know, don't read the loving thread.

Shocker though that a bunch of bitter fatties don't have the self control not to do a thing.

Edit: To draw a parallel gamers aren't all stupid losers in their mom's basements but there are way too many to try and pretend there isn't a lot of busted rear end people within that group. Same here.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 15, 2016

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Panfilo posted:

I agree that obesity has more and more become a disease of the poor, but It's absurd to believe that ideal bodyweights are arbitrary. It's completely different from facial features, or hair types, because one discrimination is rooted entirely in superficiality and elitism, while the other is biologically toxic. Adipose tissue is a hormone secreting organ which an excess of leads to chronic low-grade inflammation, insulin resistance, heart disease, and cancer. It's not a coincidence that we feel disgust when we see abdominal fat when those are most linked to these afflictions. 70% of Americans are overweight; saying that the problem is people not accepting themselves is missing the symptom for the root problem.

Blaming the individual is short sighted, but you can't tell people they should just accept and love whatever they are either. It's a societal problem at this point, and all the fit-bits and motivational posters in the world won't help. See the video below for a more thorough examination.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nixR6wVa4HY&t=87s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

LethalGeek posted:

I had to go see this for myself holy crap what a bunch of whiny babies.

The forums stomps on things I am/enjoy/whatever all the time and most of it is eye rolling dumb as this is. Plain mean spirited judging from people who don't really have a deep understanding of whatever it is cause I know better but instead of huffing how mean old goons can be I just you know, don't read the loving thread.

Shocker though that a bunch of bitter fatties don't have the self control not to do a thing.

Edit: To draw a parallel gamers aren't all stupid losers in their mom's basements but there are way too many to try and pretend there isn't a lot of busted rear end people within that group. Same here.

Excuse me ill thinnk you'll find the regulars in QCS, the only forum with less readers than byob, are extremely fit, mentally sane ppl... think b4 u post -_-

• Locked thread