Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Emrakul is probably going to poo poo all over standard this next rotation.

I'm trying out Abzan Midrange but yeah, you can just get taken out over the top by Emrakul alot of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Mef989 posted:

Despite R&D not wanting to make draw go playable, what are the odds Esper or UW becomes a thing?

All the counterspells in standard are pretty bad so I'd say that's really unlikely. IMHO control is going to continue to be wrath into planeswalkers style tap-out.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

Emrakul is probably going to poo poo all over standard this next rotation.

Welcome to the fun world of cost reduction and cast triggers!

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Eimi posted:

Basically, EDH can either be fun or the worst experience ever. If you play 'fair' decks and are up against people wanting to infinite combo you're hosed. Or just hope that their combo only partly goes off and you can try and eek out a win in the rubble. I have a janky Jenara deck that's all angels because I love angels, and I find I can't really fight on the same level of most of the individual decks I go against, so playing against people at the FLGS is a massive gamble on whether it will be a fun game or not.

EDH is at it's best when it's a beer & magic poker night sort of thing, worst when it's a tournament situation.

I played in an EDH tournament for a box of MM1. It was 3 pods of 4, breaking into a finals of 3. All three were prison decks (mine was Daretti MLD) and when we got to the finals, we all just split the box cause none of us wanted to play that game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mef989 posted:

Despite R&D not wanting to make draw go playable, what are the odds Esper or UW becomes a thing?

when we see the whole set i'll let you know

the new modal counterspell actually seems innovative enough that it might see play, and the exile all spells and abilities counter already sees play, so things look ok for some control deck happening, but it won't be draw-go most likely

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I quite like it, gaining a few points of life seems like a very relevant upside for a control deck. I can imagine a Wx tapout control deck wanting this, there are a fair number of Planeswalkers in standard that would work well in that shell. Maybe even RW with Nahiri and new Chandra.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I want to copy a counterspell with this and then use the copy to counter the original. Don't ask why.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

uninverted posted:

All the counterspells in standard are pretty bad so I'd say that's really unlikely. IMHO control is going to continue to be wrath into planeswalkers style tap-out.

the one that exiles everything is really good against emrakul decks (and nothing else) so if emmy is the most popular deck it might be good enough!

i mean i don't hold out hope, without a sphinx's revelation and elixer of immortality reprint we can never get the best UW control deck ever back...

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

C-Euro posted:

I want to copy a counterspell with this and then use the copy to counter the original. Don't ask why.

Redirecting the counterspell to itself is probably the cooler play.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also have an understandably nerfed Arcbound Ravager:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

C-Euro posted:

redirect the counterspell to counter itself

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That's still pretty great, honestly. It's going to be a real pain in limited.

Fabricate out a bunch of random 1/1s and just beat down with your increasingly large frequently-indestructible dude.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Trafficker looks like it'd be good in a control deck that uses artifacts.

Do we have any artifacts that settle well into a controlling aspect?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

This + tireless tracker seems pretty beastly in constructed, you can either pay for more cards or for a more aggressive clock

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I could see a tempo/control Spirits deck with Tamiyo or something being decent. Selfless Spirit and Avacyn are quite good against Wraths.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Cernunnos posted:

Oh poo poo :eyepop:

If you did that on something like Last Word, would Last Word fizzle due to having an illegal target, or could you not even re-direct Last Word to itself in the first place?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Oh poo poo :eyepop:

If you did that on something like Last Word, would Last Word fizzle due to having an illegal target, or could you not even re-direct Last Word to itself in the first place?

You could re-direct Last Word to itself. It would resolve, attempt to counter itself, and fail because it can't be countered. And that would be the end of it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Cernunnos posted:

mandatory lesbian posted:

redirect the counterspell to counter itself

A spell is never a legal target for itself. People trying to get cute and do this on MTGO are going to get so salty when their spell does nothing because they chose the wrong mode.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

A spell is never a legal target for itself. People trying to get cute and do this on MTGO are going to get so salty when their spell does nothing because they chose the wrong mode.

Aw dammit, you're right. I forgot how the... Refraction Trap? trick actually worked.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The "right" way to do it is to redirect the spell to target the thing you're using to do the redirection. (It is, after all, still on the stack and hence a legal target until it finishes resolving). Then the counterspell will end up being countered due to having no legal targets.

Notably, you can't do this trick with Willbender.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

aaaaah, that's no fun, i guess copying the counter to counter the counter is the cutest thing we can do...

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ricochet Trap lets you redirect a counterspell to Ricochet Trap (the counterspell then fizzles since the trap already resolved). I assume Insidious William can do the same.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

4BB
Creature - Human Artificer
Fabricate 3 (When this creature enters the battlefield, put three +1/+1 counters on it or create three 1/1 colorless Servo artifact creature tokens.)

Whenever an artifact you control is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, target opponent loses life equal to Master of Marionettes power.

lovely combo time!

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

BJPaskoff posted:

You're right. The trick was to redirect the counterspell to the Redirect. :doh:

Corner case rules. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Tokens!

I love Tokens.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

man can i get full art tokens because those would look awesome sans the border

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
So pretty :swoon:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Copter Thopter is hands down the best of the bunch.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Alright, now we're talking!

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
This is the best Servo token.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I like that spider servo a lot.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

is it just me or is this clashing with all the other tokens art something fierce

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

i want these as servo tokens

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

is it just me or is this clashing with all the other tokens art something fierce

It does. If I had to guess it's something a Tezzeret-related card makes.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoness posted:

i want these as servo tokens

Then make some?

The Lord of Hats posted:

We already know what card makes these.

Edit: And hey look I think that's actually Tezzeret on the left.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 15, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

:effort: but would definitely use

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 15, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

We already know what card makes these.

Edit: And hey look I think that's actually Tezzeret on the left.

The Lord of Hats posted:

haha, called it in one i guess, that's super cool i like that they made the token clearly different like that, so even an idiot like me can see something's up

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zoness posted:

:effort: but would definitely use

the servo with a broom is my favorite tho, hes trying so hard to clean

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

the servo with a broom is my favorite tho, hes trying so hard to clean

it doesn't clip very well and :effort:

never mind it came out pretty well:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

I don't know why not-Rhys the Redeemed makes such mean-looking tokens but oh well

• Locked thread