Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

canyoneer posted:

Option 4:
Marry into wealth

That's historically been the best investment

I have a cousin who did that. Wife is extemely controlling and abusive because "she owns the household". Cant seem to convince him that his bruises are obvious indicators of domestic violence.

Marrying into 8 figures of net worth was GWM, BWL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
DId he sign a prenup? If not, he should sever and live the high life.

Oh_Yeah
Jul 4, 2009

Suspicious Lump posted:

Maaan I am adding to the derail but I can't help myself. Your bragging is getting worse, you're also a bigger idiot than first thought. This isn't a white knight thread, this is a BWM. You got a dog you knew had bad teeth... just to show off?

1. Working dogs are different than pedigree dogs. All the types of dogs you describe might be of a specific breed but are usually not down to the inbred pedigree standard. They are continually mixed and usually do not look like their inbred counterparts, German Shepherds used in the German forces are a good example. Keep telling yourself that your dog is a hunter, then maybe go see what the old style ones actually looked like or what the ones actually bred for hunting.

Have you taken the time to look at what breeds are used in the different speculates you mentioned? Police dogs Guide Dogs A lot of breeds are used. That doesn't prove much apart from the obvious: specific breeds were bred with that work in mind.

2. Wow big words. While that one specific deformity might not be exclusive to purebeds, they do have a higher chance of inheriting a genetic disorder.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23683021
Prevalence of inherited disorders among mixed-breed and purebred dogs: 27,254 cases

I'm more qualified than you btw.

I own a protection dog so I do know of the historical aesthetic changes between breed standards, I have pictures on my fridge. Anyone that watched pedigree dogs exposed scandal would know that. Hardly a revelation. Didn't say my rescue sausage was a breed standard lol, but I have met some that look like historical photos.

I'll hang my head in shame for being the idiot that uhhh rescues mistreated dogs.

EDIT:

Barry posted:

Can you post your salary/retirement savings/debt/general financial picture so I can close the loop on whether spending $14k on two broken dogs in a year is really BWM or just kinda BWM, TIA

I'm in Australia. We don't have the Roth/401K thing going on - we have superannuation. You can make certain voluntary contributions in which the government matches or has exceeded for a certain amount each tax year. I also manage that myself by having it allocated in stock/bond ETF mix and rebalance every few years or when it need be.

I own a house and an apartment in different states that are positively geared. I have been renting in another state for the past few years - My rent is salary sacrificed. I'll be moving back to my house. I make around 90K from my job alone, my partner makes 100K - I made more when I worked in-house full time, saved aggressively and do the whole ETF/bond - stock balancing thing there too. Law School in Australia isn't like Law School in America...my degree cost me $30K which is also a government loan that is only indexed to inflation, but that is already paid off with compulsory tax return payments, there is no BWM law school debt stories like the US. I'm also not into the Australian way of negative gearing a poo poo load of property. My retirement/savings is very healthy.

I got into the whole early retirement thing ages ago and realised that there was a certain amount of money that didn't make a difference to my happiness - I am also not really career motivated - hence the not full time thing. My partner is also very similar so I am very lucky - she doesn't care for designer handbags and clothes or owning heaps of poo poo or having an image. We want to have the time to spend with our kids. She always wanted sausage dogs as a kid, contrary to this threads belief, I insisted on getting rescues which we did. We own and drive modest cars which are debt free. I have a 2008 Subaru Forester. I am alright with fixing cars too.

I bought and held Microsoft and Apple shares as a kid with my birthday money and canteen money I never spent. My Dad was so intrigued that I had all these notes hidden in a wallet in my room and I remember him asking about it and I said I was saving for a telescope, then he told me if I saved around $40 - not including birthday/xmas savings, which took me forever, he would match it - I ended up getting those shares instead. I also bought 20K of shares in NXT at around 1.52 in 2014 because every now and then it's good to have a bit of fun and I wanted to try my hand with a bit more research (even the 4 pillars of investment god here - Bernstein even acknowledges that if you can afford to do this, do it responsibly), it's around the $4 mark now.

Spending that amount on dogs makes absolutely zero difference to my lifestyle, I do have financial literacy and I know I am an outlier here when I describe myself. I spend more time with my dogs than people probably spend with their kids. I even take them 'earth dogging' at this dog club which simulates finding prey in burrows. They are incredibly good at it. My Uncle also worked in the AFP in the K9 unit so I am not some clown with money - I grew up around dogs. I've trained my dogs to go to the toilet on command, search for items and they have access to everywhere inside my house where I don't have to worry about them wrecking anything - I have cameras, they literally just sleep on the couch when I am not there. I even help with obedience training at the animal welfare league because I can and I enjoy it.

Oh_Yeah fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 14, 2016

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
As the owner of two of the most broken dogs ever (Pugs) that were adopted from a rescue organization, gently caress you very much internet poster Suspicious Lump. Helping rescued dogs while not contributing to the demand for broken breeds is a cool and good thing.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

DId he sign a prenup? If not, he should sever and live the high life.

No idea. My guess is that he did because during the reception the bride was telling our family "if it doesnt work out, there is always divorce" right after their 6 figure wedding.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
Poor Ugg Maklug, fought mammoths and died before his teeth could rot.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Bhodi posted:

Also he was dying in his 20's and early 30's due to a variety of reasons

Also them homies had hosed up teeth.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
No one gives a gently caress about this stupid pet island dog poo poo.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

cowofwar posted:

they're good dogs cowofwar

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

quote:

Bad With Money: $300 is the entry point for dogs. Barely nice ones.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

cowofwar posted:

Yeah gently caress that poo poo. Here have a vet going broke because of "cashflow problems" assuming that means horse people didn't pay their bills.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/84264253/upper-hutt-vet-in-liquidation-owes-ird-and-employees-around-125000

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

cowofwar posted:

I mean I kind of do, if it produces results of people acting like they're saving the world by spending $14k fixing broken weiner dogs

Oh_Yeah
Jul 4, 2009

Barry posted:

I mean I kind of do, if it produces results of people acting like they're saving the world by spending $14k fixing broken weiner dogs

I'm a Bruce Wayne kinda nigga

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Please change it to this since I own two pairs of $300 dress shoes and hate to be BWM.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I always nod along with the "stupid horse people :smuggo: " chat, but I guess I did spend $5,000 to save my cat's life once.

Voluntary ownership of non-income producing animals is BWM, I suppose.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I always nod along with the "stupid horse people :smuggo: " chat, but I guess I did spend $5,000 to save my cat's life once.

Horses are the best because they are both livestock and pets. They are the worst and most expensive parts of both worlds.

They are timeshares.
They are leased Corollas
They are suburban condos.
They are owning a jet-ski for a houseboat payment.

They are thousand pound dogs that are always trying to die.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

The Mandingo posted:

As the owner of two of the most broken dogs ever (Pugs) that were adopted from a rescue organization, gently caress you very much internet poster Suspicious Lump. Helping rescued dogs while not contributing to the demand for broken breeds is a cool and good thing.
Haha! I am not against but for adopting rescue dogs (even if they are inbred bastards like pugs). I am against buying and supporting pedigree or any kind of inbreeding, selective breeding for deleterious traits or anything that treats dogs badly :(. I was under the assumption (wrongly) that Mr Dachshund bought a purebreed dog and not rescued them.

Oh_Yeah posted:

I own a protection dog so I do know of the historical aesthetic changes between breed standards, I have pictures on my fridge. Anyone that watched pedigree dogs exposed scandal would know that. Hardly a revelation. Didn't say my rescue sausage was a breed standard lol, but I have met some that look like historical photos.

I'll hang my head in shame for being the idiot that uhhh rescues mistreated dogs.
I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions and made generalisations about you and your dogs. I really hope you continue being a great owner and by the sounds of it a great person who gives back to his community (and sounds like you work at a non-profit org too, because of your salary sacrifice, Legal Aid Australia?). But my original complaint was you're BWM, irrespective of whether it was a rescue dog or a bought purebred. Gloat somewhere else.

Also, just cause you own a protection dog and have pictures does not entitle you to have intimate knowledge of genetics.

I'm sorry no more pet island BS :(

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What about fancy birds? We bought this $2k pet then had to get rid of him a few years later:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What about my 11" penis? Is that bad with money? Someone please tell me, because I just don't know

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

H110Hawk posted:

What about fancy birds? We bought this $2k pet then had to get rid of him a few years later:

That is one sassy looking bird

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

What about my 11" penis? Is that bad with money? Someone please tell me, because I just don't know

It's too short to be a financial problem. Long enough to be a money earner though.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

H110Hawk posted:

Worth it.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Two year old cars will be about 25% less than new cars if you are not buying them at a dealer that sells the same car new. There are some exceptions for models that are not used as fleet vehicles or limited supply.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

H110Hawk posted:

this is the derail bird. i'm going to post him and his judgey face whenever a derail gets bad.

please heed the derail bird.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pig slut lisa posted:

this is the derail bird. i'm going to post him and his judgey face whenever a derail gets bad.

What kind of bird is that? Looks like the Scorpion of tucans.

Oh_Yeah
Jul 4, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Printed it and put it on my fridge...will cite as a certifiable source of my vast knowledge

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

pig slut lisa posted:

Derail bird thinks you spent too much on lunch today.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Oh_Yeah posted:

Printed it and put it on my fridge...will cite as a certifiable source of my vast knowledge

Pic or :frogout:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Only care if it's 11" around

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

H110Hawk posted:

Derail bird thinks you spent too much on lunch today.

derail bird overheard the hourly employee with 15 years tenure requesting a 401k loan due to horse-induced hardship

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
A colleague today confessed to having a (reasonably new) car and pays insurance, registration and maintenance on it despite not having a licence and never having driven it. She can drive, she just doesn't have a drivers licence and so isn't allowed on the road unsupervised. She takes the train to work every day. She claims she'll book the test... one day.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

froglet posted:

A colleague today confessed to having a (reasonably new) car and pays insurance, registration and maintenance on it despite not having a licence and never having driven it. She can drive, she just doesn't have a drivers licence and so isn't allowed on the road unsupervised. She takes the train to work every day. She claims she'll book the test... one day.

How did she get it off of the lot :psyduck:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

H110Hawk posted:

I would spend $2k so that this bird could judge the gently caress out of me all day.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
That's a pretty cool bird.

What's upkeep like on a bird? I know they live forever, but does it cost a lot to keep them as pets? $2k on a fancy bird might not be bad if it lives 30 years.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Krispy Kareem posted:

What's upkeep like on a bird? I know they live forever, but does it cost a lot to keep them as pets? $2k on a fancy bird might not be bad if it lives 30 years.

Fuckers are messier than they are expensive. Toucans get fruit loving everywhere.

Cages ain't cheap either

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
They're eternal toddlers for 30-60 years and require lots of interaction and stimulation or else they go crazy. Also they're birds and inherently assholes.

That said they're not super expensive to keep once you get the cages and play stands, toys can be blocks of wood and rope and jingly bells, and food is a combination of bird seed, pellets, and fresh fruit and veggies. They're more of a time commitment than anything, but it's very rewarding because they are at least as smart as toddlers and are clearly thinking about their surroundings and how they will interact with you.

Softbills like that one have special dietary requirements that make things a little more difficult, but not too much so.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

Good news, aracari's live around as long as a cat!

DarkHorse posted:

They're eternal toddlers for 30-60 years and require lots of interaction and stimulation or else they go crazy. Also they're birds and inherently assholes.

That said they're not super expensive to keep once you get the cages and play stands, toys can be blocks of wood and rope and jingly bells, and food is a combination of bird seed, pellets, and fresh fruit and veggies. They're more of a time commitment than anything, but it's very rewarding because they are at least as smart as toddlers and are clearly thinking about their surroundings and how they will interact with you.

Softbills like that one have special dietary requirements that make things a little more difficult, but not too much so.

Basically this, but it's fruit heavy. 50% of his diet is papaya, 25% pellets, 25% other fruits. Hemachromatosis is a thing with ramphastids.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

something called "friends" or "family" u may have heard of them

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

So long as you're breathing and willing to buy they will get it off the lot for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

When I bought my car they checked my license and stuff :shrug:

• Locked thread