Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
fun fact: you can fix hangouts by installing the .crx for the old extension, and fix it further by uninstalling all the other extensions, disabling chrome auto-updating entirely, and using opera for your web browser instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

atomicthumbs posted:

using opera for your web browser

Except the good Opera has been dead for years. What is wrong with you.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Except the good Opera has been dead for years. What is wrong with you.

I tried Opera again after years of using Chrome and it's mostly reached feature parity with itself. I regard it not as "lovely opera 12" but "better Chrome" now.

The Battery Saver function is very good, especially. My laptop lasts 5-6 hours with opera and 1.5-3 with Chome.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Biggest issue with Opera these days, if you are wearing a tinfoil hat: Opera browser sold to a Chinese consortium for $600 million

and then of course Opera warns sync users to change passwords for every website after hack

Not saying Chrome is better, just there are issues with Opera too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So uh, when did backspace navigation get disabled?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Few months ago. If you're one of the tiny handful of people who actually used it, they released an extension for you that still enables some protection: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/go-back-with-backspace/eekailopagacbcdloonjhbiecobagjci?hl=en

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Even though I'm extremely used to using backspace to go back, I decided against using any of the workaround to re-enable it.

There's a decent chance that eventually, these extensions will become unsupported and then the only option is the Alt-Left shortcut. I'd rather just learn that now and get it done.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Why does it look like all the text on SA is suddenly bolded since the update and how do I stop this?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Qmass posted:

Why does it look like all the text on SA is suddenly bolded since the update and how do I stop this?

It's happening to me as well, even in an incognito window. I tried messing with the font settings in Chrome but nothing seems to change.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Hungry Computer posted:

It's happening to me as well, even in an incognito window. I tried messing with the font settings in Chrome but nothing seems to change.
I've gotten this on some websites, as well, where some of the text is bolded and italicized.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Qmass posted:

Yes why is this happening? This typeset is too picante for my gentle eyes. I am getting it at a lot of places across the internet, and have tried messing with the CSS adjusting the font weight, and the only way to get normal text is to remove "Roboto" from the list of font-family. Apparently we all got ROBOTO BOLD up in this bitch.

EDIT: Fixed by removing Roboto Bold from my registered Windows Fonts. It was added by EVGA Precision X, but does not include a non-bold alternative so I guess you could also download and install Roboto to fix it.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 14, 2016

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Another fine addition to the long list of Chrome's text rendering mishaps.
Why would it even use that, did Precision set it as the system default or something?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Has anyone had any luck getting the old version of Hangouts to work? It seems to have stopped yesterday. I'd disabled updates in Chrome and Hangouts (since I'm not using Chrome for web browsing anymore) to keep the extension with the dockable tabs, but it's looking like they're no longer allowing it to connect.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

CapnBry posted:

Yes why is this happening? This typeset is too picante for my gentle eyes. I am getting it at a lot of places across the internet, and have tried messing with the CSS adjusting the font weight, and the only way to get normal text is to remove "Roboto" from the list of font-family. Apparently we all got ROBOTO BOLD up in this bitch.

EDIT: Fixed by removing Roboto Bold from my registered Windows Fonts. It was added by EVGA Precision X, but does not include a non-bold alternative so I guess you could also download and install Roboto to fix it.
Thank you! I had no idea how unpleasant to the eyes bold text is. It's like the optical equivalent of taking a very large poo poo.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Montalvo posted:

I'm running the most up to date version of Chrome Beta on the most up to date version of Yosemite and over the past couple of days I've noticed that flash videos are blocked behind the grey, ctrl-click this panel to run this plugin window. However, when I select 'run this plugin' nothing happens. Anyone else running into this?

chrome://plugins/

Allow flash to always run? Ew.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
It's 2016. Friends don't let friends use Flash.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
That happens when the website is trying to play a flash ad before the video.
It's a whole clusterfuck of scripts and different flash videos on top of each other that you'd have to allow seperately. Won't work without allowing flash in general, or always for this website.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Chrome was supposed to start blocking flash by default except on a handful of top websites. Wonder if this is the start of it?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah, there's no way I'm letting Flash run by default. I've had Chrome block plugins in the past so I'm familiar with the setting, it's just that telling the plugin to run no longer seems to be working.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

CapnBry posted:

In my case it was Open Sans, and deleting it seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Are people having this problem on the dev channel or something? Sometimes I wonder if my chrome install is blessed by angels or something because I never run into nearly of these problems that keep cropping up in this thread.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

My chrome text is weird/different in the address bar. Its basically really small to the point I can't even see any numbers in my addon buttons (like Gmail). Any way to revert?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is there an add-on that allows me to trick the browser into maximising to window size, instead of going full screen? Not just for Youtube, but for every embedded video app.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Your question doesn't make sense. Do you mean you want to maximize video to the window size? I think you need to write a Greasemonkey script or something similar to that...and that will only work for html5 videos.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Thermopyle posted:

Your question doesn't make sense. Do you mean you want to maximize video to the window size?

You click the "maximize to full screen" button, but instead the video will maximize to fit the window.

Thermopyle posted:

I think you need to write a Greasemonkey script or something similar to that...and that will only work for html5 videos.

Sure that's always an option. But I was curious if there was an addon.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

mike12345 posted:

You click the "maximize to full screen" button, but instead the video will maximize to fit the window.
Ok, but you said maximize the browser not the video. I got you now though.

mike12345 posted:

Right, there isn't because every site is going to have their own way of styling their HTML5 video players.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

mike12345 posted:

It's only for youtube, but Magic Actions does what you're asking nicely.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's only for youtube, but Magic Actions does what you're asking nicely.

Cool thanks.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Does anyone have a recommendation for a mouse gestures extension? The killer app I'm looking for in particular is being able to start a gesture on a link and open it in a new tab/window. There are a number of extensions that also have "SuperDrag" or whatever that are similar, but you have to use LMB instead of RMB. No thanks bub :shopkeeper:
The old extension I had stopped being able to do this after a recent Chrome update and I simply must continue this RMB habit from a decade of using Opera. Any help is appreciated!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'm having some weird problems with chrome. Out of the blue I decided to manually check for chrome updates, and I discovered that I was still on version 52, and that some glitch was preventing chrome from checking for updates. So I uninstalled it, and reinstalled it, which fixed the issue, but then I noticed my extensions weren't being automatically installed (I'd had them synced to my google account).I tried going to the chrome web store and installing them manually, but I discovered I'm unable to install extensions at all for some reason - anytime I try, I get a message 'an error has occurred - Download interrupted'.

Any ideas?

I've tried reinstalling both the mainstream and beta versions, doing a full malware scan with windows defender and malaware bytes (both in regular windows and in safe mode), and attempting to install the extension both with and without being logged into my google account.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

Any ideas?

I've tried reinstalling both the mainstream and beta versions, doing a full malware scan with windows defender and malaware bytes (both in regular windows and in safe mode), and attempting to install the extension both with and without being logged into my google account.

Have you tried a full-uninstall, and then removing the folders (users\username\appdata\local\google) or using a tool like CCleaner with every option under Chrome checked?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

B-Nasty posted:

Have you tried a full-uninstall, and then removing the folders (users\username\appdata\local\google) or using a tool like CCleaner with every option under Chrome checked?

B-Nasty posted:

Not yet, I'll try that.

Edit: didn't work, so I decided to flatten windows and reinstall. That fixed it real good.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 26, 2016

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Reformed Pissboy posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a mouse gestures extension? The killer app I'm looking for in particular is being able to start a gesture on a link and open it in a new tab/window. There are a number of extensions that also have "SuperDrag" or whatever that are similar, but you have to use LMB instead of RMB. No thanks bub :shopkeeper:
The old extension I had stopped being able to do this after a recent Chrome update and I simply must continue this RMB habit from a decade of using Opera. Any help is appreciated!
I've been using crxMouse for the drag stuff, but SmartUp for the remaining stuff because crx's reopen closed tab implementation is hot garbage (some bizarre broken thing with an array of closed tabs rather than just using Chrome's API call)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Crazy question, maybe, is there a way to search a webpage using variables? Something like, catvideo01??, to find all cat videos with a suffix in the 100's. That's just a wacky example to get my meaning across, it's not like I watch cat videos, pft. Anyway, is that possible

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

wormil posted:

Crazy question, maybe, is there a way to search a webpage using variables? Something like, catvideo01??, to find all cat videos with a suffix in the 100's. That's just a wacky example to get my meaning across, it's not like I watch cat videos, pft. Anyway, is that possible

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chrome-regex-search/bpelaihoicobbkgmhcbikncnpacdbknn

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Sweet, thank you.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Why is my loving Chrome title bar now grey, making it almost impossible to whether or not the window is active or not? Previously it was blue.

flat style bullshit :ssj:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Pilsner posted:

Why is my loving Chrome title bar now grey, making it almost impossible to whether or not the window is active or not? Previously it was blue.

You can always apply a theme:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/themes

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Pilsner posted:

What OS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Is there a way I can make the bookmarks bar not be visible by default in incognito mode?