Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Bob Morales posted:

95% of his tickets probably involve Acrobat Reader so he probably assumed that's what you meant

I'd be inclined to agree but IT changed us over to Adobe's cloud licensing or whatever and she literally set me up with an Acrobat Pro license immediately (as in minutes) before so I don't think there's any confusion about which one I actually need.

Edit: they also broke the link to their ticketing system on our internal "home page". Thanks, IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Nuclearmonkee posted:

That's not the same as a vague "We will promote you and give you a 10% raise in 2 years," a thing which will not ever happen.

What's worse is the promise of a raise or promotion based on some metric or event that then is ignored.

'if you get this ccna you'll see a promotion to network admin and 10% raise.' gets ccna -> 'my hands are tied because we're in budget season and this guy just left so we need to replace him, I'm going to keep fighting for you but give me three months to get this in motion'. Guess what, that promo and money is never showing up ever.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

totalnewbie posted:

I use Acrobat for my job. We (IT or our department, who knows) budgeted and purchased Acrobat licenses for us. I just got a new laptop and IT set it up for us, including Acrobat.

...Acrobat Reader. Thanks, you useless IT helpdesk person.

Reader could just be part of the image that they put on everyone's laptops. They may not have added Writer to their software deploy list. It might even be few enough people that they plan on doing manual installs.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

totalnewbie posted:

I use Acrobat for my job. We (IT or our department, who knows) budgeted and purchased Acrobat licenses for us. I just got a new laptop and IT set it up for us, including Acrobat.

...Acrobat Reader. Thanks, you useless IT helpdesk person.

I'm inclined to partly blame Adobe, due to their silly product naming:

'Adobe Acrobat' vs 'Adobe Acrobat Reader' - you can see the confusion

Mind you, I am always inclined to blame Adobe for everything up to, and including, the Holocaust

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What's worse is the promise of a raise or promotion based on some metric or event that then is ignored.

'if you get this ccna you'll see a promotion to network admin and 10% raise.' gets ccna -> 'my hands are tied because we're in budget season and this guy just left so we need to replace him, I'm going to keep fighting for you but give me three months to get this in motion'. Guess what, that promo and money is never showing up ever.

And you know that manager is injuring his shoulder trying to pat himself on the back.

"ha ha I made this worker drone feel like a valued employee and it cost the company nothing, I am the best"

And then takes that information to his boss and demands the same raise. It goes all the way up the chain until the CEO ends up giving himself a raise just for being so awesome.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

pixaal posted:

Reader could just be part of the image that they put on everyone's laptops. They may not have added Writer to their software deploy list. It might even be few enough people that they plan on doing manual installs.

Our IT department has no idea what "software deploy" means. Everything is a manual install. And she did manually install a bunch of programs right after I got the license.

spog posted:

I'm inclined to partly blame Adobe, due to their silly product naming:

'Adobe Acrobat' vs 'Adobe Acrobat Reader' - you can see the confusion

Mind you, I am always inclined to blame Adobe for everything up to, and including, the Holocaust

Oh yeah, for sure, it's loving dumb.

She's also been calling me by the wrong name for over a year, now.

Edit: she came by and typed in the admin password, crisis averted. /shrug I mean, she's not a terrible person and probably does okay at her job, but it's just another bit in a pile of dumb IT things, like "We can't allow cell phones on the wifi network because WE ARE OUT OF IP ADDRESSES." I mean, just say for "security reasons" or whatever bullshit that actually makes sense, but "out of IP addresses" lol.

vvv they're more precious than toner

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 15, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

totalnewbie posted:

We can't allow cell phones on the wifi network because WE ARE OUT OF IP ADDRESSES."

:stare:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Microsoft Dynamics AX. I have no training on it, either. So everything I do is off of instinct and Google. This whole thing has been a clusterfuck, we've been dealing with users constantly crashing for a month since go-live now.

Oh god. I feel for you.

We have a 5 man team that does nothing but support/update/write code for our DAX environment.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

totalnewbie posted:

WE ARE OUT OF IP ADDRESSES."

This can happen. It's not hard to work around by increasing the subnet mask most of the time, Hell often the actual problem is just DHCP wasn't given the full range and you bump that up. Of course you ideally want your wireless it's own subnet but that requires competence.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

pixaal posted:

This can happen. It's not hard to work around by increasing the subnet mask most of the time, Hell often the actual problem is just DHCP wasn't given the full range and you bump that up. Of course you ideally want your wireless it's own subnet but that requires competence.

Yeah, I get that. We're on a /24 so I know what they mean by "out of IP addresses" but it's like saying, "We can only fit 2 people in the car because the back seats are folded down." Fold them up, you dummy. :iiaca:

But nevermind, our antivirus blocked Acrobat's request to add/change some IE toolbars registry value and so the entire install failed.

Putting this one squarely on Adobe.

...though I'm annoyed at not having local admin, which would have avoided this problem altogether and I know this thread doesn't like giving local admin to users and for good reason but drat it I'm annoyed, okay.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 15, 2016

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Saw this happen the other day. Some places are stupid and don't have a seperate vlan for guests, or segregated APs doing DHCP handouts or anything for guest devices. So this place had eight day reservations for any and all devices connecting to the network and doing all the addressing on one subnet :waycool:

milk milk lemonade fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 15, 2016

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Fudge posted:

Saw this happen the other day. Some places are stupid and don't have a seperate vlan for guests, or segregated APs doing DHCP handouts or anything for guest devices. So this place had eight day reservations for any and all devices connecting to the network and doing all the addressing on one subnet :waycool:

That's us. Well, I guess I don't know if they'd be on a separate vlan or not if they're not part of the domain (I don't know how that stuff works) but we used to have a guest WiFi and now we don't and whenever we do have guests, we just give them the password. But I don't know how it works or how it should work or how it could work so I can't really criticize.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
You should criticize because it's loving stupid and there's about a trillion ways to fix it that would rely on your IT department not being monstrously incompetent.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fudge posted:

You should criticize because it's loving stupid and there's about a trillion ways to fix it that would rely on your IT department not being monstrously incompetent.

They will change their flat network to a /16 and call it fixed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Well if you're out of IP addresses on the internal network, maybe you can work some tricks and get your company thousands of extra addresses, for no cost of acquisition! Just imagine how good that can make you look.

(Also, Adobe has actually been calling their free PDF reader just "Adobe Reader" for a long while now, without the "Acrobat". Except I think they went back to using the Acrobat name again with Acrobat Reader DC. No idea why they jumped from version 11 to version 600, though.)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 15, 2016

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

We recently took over another company's IT. Their IT guy set their office of about 50 people with a 10.x.x.x/8 network

IP ADDRESSES FOR EVERYONE :byodood:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Also switch the range to something that's not a reserved private one.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Apparently they might have to uninstall (then reinstall) our corporate antivirus software (Symantec) to get Acrobat installed, rather than just disabling or whitelisting the installer.

My IT department :allears:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Actually nobody needs AV software which is what I learned from these forums

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Being asked to recover files on a laptop. Thing is I'm a server monkey now. When I ask my boss why we're not getting the desktop guys to do it, he breaks it down as basically he doesn't trust the desktop guys. He tried to frame the argument as "if you don't feel you're capable of doing this, I will find someone who is." I told him a couple of times, its not a question of capability, I can DO this, but why, as a server guy, am I doing desktop file recovery. Then he tells me his rear end is on the line and he doesn't trust the desktop team to do this. I feel like it should go to them anyway and he needs to let the chips fall where they may, but I'm sitting here pulling the drive out the laptop as I type this.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Apparently they might have to uninstall (then reinstall) our corporate antivirus software (Symantec) to get Acrobat installed, rather than just disabling or whitelisting the installer.

My IT department :allears:

Symantec is awful. Used it for AV two jobs ago and backups last job. The clients with Symantec backup and recovery also backed up to buffalo NASs

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Coredump posted:

Being asked to recover files on a laptop. Thing is I'm a server monkey now. When I ask my boss why we're not getting the desktop guys to do it, he breaks it down as basically he doesn't trust the desktop guys. He tried to frame the argument as "if you don't feel you're capable of doing this, I will find someone who is." I told him a couple of times, its not a question of capability, I can DO this, but why, as a server guy, am I doing desktop file recovery. Then he tells me his rear end is on the line and he doesn't trust the desktop team to do this. I feel like it should go to them anyway and he needs to let the chips fall where they may, but I'm sitting here pulling the drive out the laptop as I type this.

If there's that level of distrust of your desktop team, it seems that that team's manager should be involved.

If your manager and the desktop team's manager are the same person, that guy deserves whatever happens. If his job is on the line, maybe there's a good reason.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

ConfusedUs posted:

If there's that level of distrust of your desktop team, it seems that that team's manager should be involved.

If your manager and the desktop team's manager are the same person, that guy deserves whatever happens. If his job is on the line, maybe there's a good reason.

My boss is currently the top of the org for our IT department. The desktop manager is a different person, who he doesn't trust either. He would toss out the whole desktop support staff if he could from the way he talks.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Coredump posted:

My boss is currently the top of the org for our IT department. The desktop manager is a different person, who he doesn't trust either. He would toss out the whole desktop support staff if he could from the way he talks.

If he's the top of the org, why isn't he doing remedial training, new hires, and such to replace a team that is broken? Using other teams' resources (you) is a band-aid at best.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

DigitalMocking posted:

Oh god. I feel for you.

We have a 5 man team that does nothing but support/update/write code for our DAX environment.

We have a four man team. Total. For everything IT.

This whole thing gave me the motivation yesterday to spend the evening working on a Unity project, though. By the end of this weekend, I have that done. By the end of the month I have my Heroku Django site up. Starting the first I start applying elsewhere, including out of town, while finishing up another Unity project and getting my website prettied up. I'm never getting out of this sort of crap into development until I have something good to show employers.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Welp, it's 8 AM. Time to head to the old broadcast storm shelter.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

mewse posted:

Actually nobody needs AV software which is what I learned from these forums

This is true.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

spog posted:

I make a point of tweeting profanity at Adobe every time I have to install/update one of their products.

RE: IP chat

$job-2, we had a similar issue. Multiple sites (as in, statewide) all connected via VPNs, and our main site was essentially two flat VLANs: One for VOIP phones, one for everything else. No real space for cells to connect to WiFi. Servers, PCs, printers: all in the 192.168.x.y space.

I suggested moving the entire network over to 10.x.y.z (while we were revamping the network for the aforementioned VOIP phones anyway), but my boss didn't want to invest the time in it. Part of the problem was he didn't believe in DHCP reservations, so all the dumb network devices (copiers, scanners, a postage machine) were hardcoded.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I appreciate this thread because as a manager of a fair number of people I can think to myself, "Is the thing I'm about to do something that someone would post about on SA? If so, then maybe I shouldn't do it." Thanks Goons!

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This whole thing gave me the motivation yesterday to spend the evening working on a Unity project, though. By the end of this weekend, I have that done. By the end of the month I have my Heroku Django site up. Starting the first I start applying elsewhere, including out of town, while finishing up another Unity project and getting my website prettied up. I'm never getting out of this sort of crap into development until I have something good to show employers.

Christ dude, how big is your company?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Jeoh posted:

What if you need multiple licenses? For example, ProPlus / EOP1?

Jeoh posted:

He's talking about OU groups. So either he's putting people in OUs, or in security groups. For the latter: Yeah that'd work, obviously. For the former:

Yeah, security groups, so I just add them to more groups.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Che Delilas posted:

Oh certainly, you obviously have a bunch of great reasons to stay. I'm just saying, "promotion-in-two-years" shouldn't even be in your consciousness.

Agree 100% - I got dicked around at a previous IT support job as a contractor, was pitched as 6 month contract-to-hire. 6 months passes, I get a contract extension for another 6 months. During that time I was "promised" several times that I'd be brought on after the second 6 month contract was up. At the end, they extended it 3 months...then after that, extended another 6 and my boss told me, verbatim, that "we think we're going to keep you on permanently after this 6 months is up". I was already getting burned out because a couple teammates weren't pulling their weight, I had shifted work schedules at least 3 times to accommodate other peoples' schedules, and had vacation denied more than once because of bullshit special treatment (e.g. I'd put in for a couple days vacation at least 2-3 weeks in advance, and it would either get denied outright in favor of someone else who hadn't put their time in, or got cancelled at the last second because someone else gave less than 72 hours notice that they wanted some of the same days off). On top of it the contract company gave me some lovely terrible 60 cent raise after I busted my rear end for a year and got glowing reviews, so that left a sour taste and was the last straw. Ended up getting a better permanent job closer to home and quit on the spot when I told them I'd be making at least $3/hour more than what they paid and they wouldn't budge on matching (or even coming close). My former manager and one of my coworkers not only kept calling me constantly but actually showed up at my apartment a day later to, I assume, try to get me to come back when I didn't answer my phone. Yep, gently caress you, when you're underpaid and overworked and people keep playing bullshit games, it's an easy choice to NOT go back.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

We have two to support 250. Worked fine until they laid off the helpdesk guy and gave me some other random guy "who is good with computers" to fill the void.

He's coming along but ticket times are atrocious and I don't even care.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Sheep posted:

We have two to support 250. Worked fine until they laid off the helpdesk guy and gave me some other random guy "who is good with computers" to fill the void.

He's coming along but ticket times are atrocious and I don't even care.

I'm new at being guy #2 in a similar boat.
Poor main guys been busy for a few years, but 1.5 months in and we've got tickets under control, and a few projects going.
Took a chance quitting a "Real" job for a 6-month contract, but it looks good for me to stay, so I'm kicking rear end while I'm here.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

DigitalMocking posted:

Christ dude, how big is your company?

According to get-aduser, 176 not including disabled accounts. That seems high, though. Maybe not with all of the salesmen. It wasn't bad at all before rollout, but the consultants are dragging their feet to bill more hours, they don't know the program either, and that 4 number includes our BI guy and the director who is in meetings most of the time. He's also the de facto facilities manager.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

It's actually kind of hard to determine how many IT people you need based solely on head count. What the company is doing and how they do it is pretty important too.

If it's a giant shitshow where they don't invest in proper tools/equipment you will need more people than you would in a situation where you can smoothly automate and administer everything.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's actually kind of hard to determine how many IT people you need based solely on head count. What the company is doing and how they do it is pretty important too.

If it's a giant shitshow where they don't invest in proper tools/equipment you will need more people than you would in a situation where you can smoothly automate and administer everything.

My hedgefund had only 35 people, but 30 of them had 3 or 4 PC's apiece. One of the quantitative traders had his own HP blade server with 8 blades in it. It was his own 10U server, he almost had an entire rack dedicated to him, but the time you factored his storage and switching into it.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Yep. Support scales unpredictably. A big question is how many 'information systems' do you have? Have aquisitions been made sensibly? Are you using 20 different piecemeal programs with insane licensing rules when one would do? Do you have to do mobile support? Are you using poo poo hardware for end users? Are internal systems custom or purchased or a mixture of both? Do you understand what self service is and is their a willingness amongst the business to embrace it?

I'm consulting at a place right now that has three people with an unbelievable, insurmountable workload and 400+ users. I'm pretty sure with automation/self-service I'm going to get it down to one person who doesn't have enough work.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My hedgefund had only 35 people, but 30 of them had 3 or 4 PC's apiece. One of the quantitative traders had his own HP blade server with 8 blades in it. It was his own 10U server, he almost had an entire rack dedicated to him, but the time you factored his storage and switching into it.

Yeah I'm in a similar situation where I support just a few hundred people along with many hundreds of robotic systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Yeah I'm in a similar situation where I support just a few hundred people along with many hundreds of robotic systems.

When I asked for quotes on cooling or power, they'd ask me how many users, and I'd respond 35, and they'd always fight about what I requested. Why do you need 500 switch ports for 35 users? What is that 70 with PC/phone, and then a handful for servers? Why are you buying so many switches?

Dude, we have five racks of servers, 35 internet lines, just sell me what I'm paying for.