Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

Morbidly curious what each would look like if Mark Trail and Pearls before swine switched artists for a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Viivi & Wagner

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

A real nerd would take this opportunity to recommend her Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane (or Stardust is she insists on prose). Or if she feels like trolling, Trouble.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 15, 2016

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

When it does happen it gets edited out of the broadcast

You have to go to a live taping if you wanna see that

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The MSJ posted:

A real nerd would take this opportunity to recommend her [...] Stardust.

I agree!

:getin:

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

I like a good BM, too, but somehow I don't think it means what they think it means.
Yeah?

quote:

Mikey GoComics PRO Member said, 1 day ago
TJ’s right. Nothing like starting the day with a good BM.

quote:

Brdshtt GoComics PRO Member said, 1 day ago
Like TJ, a good BM always stinks up the room…

Anyway,

quote:

IamJayBluE said, 1 day ago
….Aaaand….there it is!…

Did TJ help Brad to get the details down under budget? Sure!….

Did TJ do something because it seemed to be a need from his roomate? Eh….maybe…

Or…was it so that TJ could just happen to “coincidentally” pitch his own services, “conveniently” allowing Brad the room to be able to “hook him up” with business (and cash flow)?….Hmmm??!!!…

quote:

IamJayBluE said, 1 day ago
“Giving Him The Business”
“Opportunity Costs”
“Save Room For A Sweet Deal”
“Getcha Self A Slice!”
“A Last Minute Bid”
“…Something Borrowed, Something Kablooie”
“Fireworks Included”
“Necks To Nothing”
“The Pain Truth”
“See You….In December…” (♪)
“For Love, Or Money?”
“Sweet Talk Is Cheap, But The Price Ain’t”
“A Slick On The Trip Down The Aisle”
or…
“Having A Little Trouble With My BM”

quote:

Bryan Shipley said, 1 day ago
@luannfan1212
he has become a better person

Sorry, but there’s no actual evidence of that. It’s not that he’s actually passed up chances to do something unethical, just that those chances haven’t been made available to him lately.

it’s the same trap people fell into with Shannon, when claiming that referring to her as “a brat” was inaccurate nowadays. It turned out it wasn’t that her discipline or behavior had actually improved, but rather that everyone had been bending over backwards to accomodate her. As soon as she stopped getting her way, the tantrums started all over again.

So in summary: show me TJ actually turning down an opportunity to do something underhanded and then we’ll talk about his character improving. Until then (or until he attempts to make amends for past behavior) I’m not convinced.

quote:

Mordock999 GoComics PRO Member said, 1 day ago
@Josh Lyons
“Yes, try "Cafe Cablooie Catering (CCC) instead. “KKK” will everybody the wrong idea."

quote:

And Once Again Brad, PREDICTABLY, GLEEFULLY, Goes along with Old Smiley’s (GAG) ‘Plan.’
Brad DeGroot? YOU Sir, Have Truly SOLD Your SOUL to the DEVIL……,

fort knox

Flying Mccoys

Dustin

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

treasureplane posted:

Kafe Kablooie Katering, eh?

That's not good.

Perfectly fine

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So that one dude in Adam Ames just followed the woman for the single purpose of slapping her. What even is this comic?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I love that Stardust's expression conveys at most mild irritation while he's casually chopping a guy's head off.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oh, he's doing a lot worse than merely chopping a guy's head off. Fletcher Hanks was certifiable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, he has to chop it off before he can enlarge it to human body size then throw into outer space. Come on now.

Anyway, Stardust is so incredibly powerful that he does literally everything completely casually. He can do anything, so there's no need to be terribly concerned about what he's doing.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

"My friends are taking an interest in my hobbies and finding that they may actually enjoy them. How embarrassing?" :confused:

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

Tiggum posted:

"My friends are taking an interest in my hobbies and finding that they may actually enjoy them. How embarrassing?" :confused:

No kidding. This would've been a nice opportunity to steer this horrifically out-of-touch arc in a positive direction and he somehow hosed it up. It's so cynical and abrasive.

What is the point of this? Where is it going?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

painynumbs posted:

What is the point of this? Where is it going?

The point is that at the end Gwen is going to realize she actually doesn't like her normal friends like she likes her geek friends. She tells off-brand Peter Griffin this, he gets all loopy because he's a creepy stalker in love with her or whatever, and then we move on to some new idiocy.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Green Intern posted:

So that one dude in Adam Ames just followed the woman for the single purpose of slapping her. What even is this comic?

i don't know, man. I don't know.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Maybe she is just a cynical garbage being incapable of making any actual friends.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Good Listener posted:

Maybe she is just a cynical garbage being incapable of making any actual friends.

its nice to have comic character i can relate to

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

WickedHate posted:

You know, another thing modern Nancy is totally missing is this guy. He and Nancy's interactions are always great.

I shudder to think what Guy Gilchrist would do to this guy. Would he be a jacked up all-American patriot? Or would he be a sniveling little liberal weasel pinko commie terrorist? Whatever he was, he wouldn't be funny.

"HEY, DID YOU GUYS KNOW I WORKED ON MUPPET BABIES? BECAUSE I DID. I WORKED THE HECK OUT OF ON MUPPET BABIES." -Guy Gilchrist

I posted:

*poop*

Luann Commenters posted:

*poop*

Look, when the fruit is hanging that low, you gotta go for it and drat the consequences. I knew the risks. No ragrets.

Tiggum posted:

No, you see, they're not liking them right. They're still being stupid idiots who like girl things. You would never catch a boy enjoying a comic featuring a cute female lead, or thinking a comic book character has attractive physical attributes, or... reading a novel, I guess. These girls are all loving casuals and that's why we need to keep women out of comics stores.

Luann

One of my weird "stupid girly bullshit" quirks is that I will accept a wedding dress montage in any format, even if it's in a horrible strip like Luann. A3G promised me a wedding dress montage once, but I was denied by the disinterest of Frank Bolle. I'm still bitter. DO NOT SCREW ME ON THIS, EVANSES.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

Actually, it kind of is what you're thinking.

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Jules, the dude knows he's blind. I'm sure it's not a secret. I doubt he'll be offended by the concept that he's blind.

Then again, attitudes toward the differently abled have changed a lot since 1959, so who knows.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Really Pants posted:

Oh, he's doing a lot worse than merely chopping a guy's head off. Fletcher Hanks was certifiable.

Yeah, but the result is a comic that's a good sort of insane. Like I'm pretty sure he wasn't intending you to just go :stonklol: at everything Stardust does but that's what he ended up with.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Tiggum posted:

Ginger Meggs

Old-style Ginger is drawn a lot like one of Skippy's friends. Only with more smiling.

Bloom County is still chasing this plot line to God knows where.

Skippy (July 18, 1929)

Peanuts (September 18, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 30-31, 1929)

Thimble Theater (April 4, 1930)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

"Is there such a thing as Ant-Man?" asks JJJ, as he looks at an ant-sized person calling himself Ant-Man.

Also, I love it when characters in superhero comics are amazed and react with disbelief at someone displaying a superpower. Dude, you live in a reality where guys fire lasers from their eyes, there's a famous dude made out of orange rocks, and you have daily arguments with a guy who is superstrong and sticks to walls. Seeing a tiny man grow to normal size probably isn't even in the top 100 Weird rear end Things you've ever seen while living in Marvel New York.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

Actually, it kind of is what you're thinking.

Doesn't Hil already know via psychic shenanigans? Or do one-off gags not stick? I need answers for this complicated lore you've set up, Marciuliano!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

l'm still not sure who they're referring to. Better go all Nancy with it.

F Minus

Mary Worth

SOB!

Rex Morgan MD

That's not just some other patient, that's Jordan's evil twin from the Mirror Mirror universe!

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

I think these fetish comics are going a bit too far.

Anyway, since we're on the subject of classic Dick Tracy stories, does anyone have the strip with the not-even-edit-needed Goddamn Bank panel? I think the story had the milk drinking guy in it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Good Listener posted:

That's what it seems like. So far everything they've done (dinner and drinks, spa treatment, shopping) seems really nice and enjoyable; yet all she can do is complain. I mean, right now they're in a store specifically tailored to her interests and she's still being an rear end in a top hat for no reason while everyone else is just trying to have a good time.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Johnny Walker posted:

l'm still not sure who they're referring to. Better go all Nancy with it.

We're getting closer.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Well, gently caress, apparently it's moving around; so much for my first theory.

Tunicate's probably right and it's a dream sequence. Or maybe some "Jacob's Ladder" thing.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tiggum posted:

This bitch spends the whole night complaining, and when their doing what she insisted on she's still acting like this. Jeez.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

You can tell it's more than 40 years old when they're talking about "Tehran nightclubs."

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

Darkest Auer posted:

Anyway, since we're on the subject of classic Dick Tracy stories, does anyone have the strip with the not-even-edit-needed Goddamn Bank panel? I think the story had the milk drinking guy in it.

Did you mean this one?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

For gently caress's sake, if someone not into comics is going "hey, Squirrel Girl's pretty neat" the proper response is "gently caress yeah she is," not whatever the gently caress Gwen's doing here. This is awful.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Haha it's funny because her friends are taking an interest in her hobby, and asking her for recommendations, but not in the precise right way she wants them to!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Haha it's funny because her friends are taking an interest in her hobby, and asking her for recommendations, but not in the precise right way she wants them to!

#ugh

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (August 23, 1951)

Nancy (October 7, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (June 20, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (July 5, 1923)

Barney Google (July 6, 1922)

Alley Oop (October 5, 1933)

Lil' Abner (March 4, 1937)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Drammis ought to serba on the sansa fram? Pretty sure that's what that droid says at the beginning of Empire Strikes Back.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
So is it confirmed that Fred Basset is intended solely for very, very old people who see a picture of a cartoon dog and are satisfied with their enjoyment. It isn't humorous or absurdist or cute or...anything. It is a nothing strip and it baffles me to no end.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Well, now I've been reminded about Daily Mail Island from TV Go Home.

https://youtu.be/xPlEIryW8zA?t=327

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Old-style Ginger is drawn a lot like one of Skippy's friends. Only with more smiling.

Gotta say, I like the old style way better. There's just something really bland and unappealing about the current look to me.

With Mary Worth, on the other hand, the new art is fine--empty eye sockets aside--which makes for a really weird contrast with the writing.

Esplanade fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 15, 2016

• Locked thread