Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Nests are supposedly going to change tomorrow. If it follows the old pattern then the Tentacool nest In Oak Forest is going to change to either Machop or Abra :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?

Geoff Zahn posted:

Nests are supposedly going to change tomorrow. If it follows the old pattern then the Tentacool nest In Oak Forest is going to change to either Machop or Abra :getin:

How do you tell? There's a Kabuto nest near me and I wonder what it will become.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Planeshifter2 posted:

Just hatched 7 10k eggs

2x Onix
2x Eevee
2x Scyther
1x Electabuzz

I didn't have an Onix before this at least........

Could be worse, I guess. :smith:

Pinser is the worst, but Eevees are still a punch in the gut for sure.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Poulpe posted:

Are dragonites really that rare??
I must live near a nest or something because every time I go to our local hot spot one seems to turn up nearby

They are ultra rare, although I feel that Lapras are rarer. You got a really awesome hotspot there, bub.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Geoff Zahn posted:

This is good info. Thanks dude!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is there any sane reason people keep making games that only become actually playable after you've put literally hundreds of hours into them? My wife and I both gave up awhile ago and they don't seem to be planning on catering to the "I don't obsess over the game" crowd

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Loser_Rex posted:

How do you tell? There's a Kabuto nest near me and I wonder what it will become.

I'm going by the info on nests here: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4v78mw/psa_nests_have_changed/

Granted they could all become something else, just going by what users have reported so far.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Geoff Zahn posted:

I took a a little trip to grab my first Diglett today, with some little help of The Silph Road's atlas. Now I'm actually hoping that I'll never see a nest for them again :v:

I dread the contents of my next 5 km egg as well, although I could use one with good IVs so all this buddy candy will go to a good place.

Geoff Zahn posted:

I'm going by the info on nests here: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4v78mw/psa_nests_have_changed/

Granted they could all become something else, just going by what users have reported so far.

Or just stay the same. A nearby playground has been Vulpix > Clefairy > Clefairy thus far.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

I'm hosting a lure/BBQ party in Petaluma (about 40 miles north of SF) on Sunday. Our last Meetup at Doran Beach was really successful and everyone had a good time.

If you're interested in spending a beautiful Sunday (82 degrees and sunny) in the North Bay, catching Jynx (nests may change) and Dratini while chowing down on free BBQ, feel free to RSVP: https://www.meetup.com/Santa-Rosa-Pokemon-GO-Meetup/

I also have some guides and resources (compilation of apps, etc.) posted on the Pages section of the Meetup. Hopefully some of you may find them useful.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

whats the source on this nest change whatever? also, i watched that video on nest/frequent spawn area and i have no idea how you people are designating these things. i understand data, so here is some data

The dots here are spawn points

They are color coded to indicate the following;
code:
light blue: something will spawn here in a couple of minutes
dark blue: something will spawn here soon
green: something just spawned here
yellow: something is here
orange: something is here but will be gone in a couple of minutes
red: something is here but will be gone soon
grey: nothing to see here, move along
The same map with poke overlayed

the ones along the bottom left of the sub on the creek spawn dratini and other water type but also nido and vulpix for some reason. is that what people are calling a nest? FSA? one dot = 1 poke, so is a "nest" just a bunch of dots with the same poo poo? is the entire sub an FSA?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Bacon Hat posted:

whats the source on this nest change whatever? also, i watched that video on nest/frequent spawn area and i have no idea how you people are designating these things. i understand data, so here is some data

The dots here are spawn points

They are color coded to indicate the following;
code:
light blue: something will spawn here in a couple of minutes
dark blue: something will spawn here soon
green: something just spawned here
yellow: something is here
orange: something is here but will be gone in a couple of minutes
red: something is here but will be gone soon
grey: nothing to see here, move along
The same map with poke overlayed

the ones along the bottom left of the sub on the creek spawn dratini and other water type but also nido and vulpix for some reason. is that what people are calling a nest? FSA? one dot = 1 poke, so is a "nest" just a bunch of dots with the same poo poo? is the entire sub an FSA?

Lucchesi Park (in the Meetup above) is a "cluster" Jynx spawn nest currently. This means once every hour, multiple Jynx spawn around the same time (spawn points permitting) in place of whatever else may spawn from those spawn points. These spawns are also beholden to the normal spawn point timers. e.g. So if a spawn point normally triggers at 45 minutes after the hour, and if a Jynx spawns from there, it will spawn at that time.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I have a frequent spawn point Charmander spawn by my house. They spawn on the same single point every half hour usually (sometimes it'll skip one and it'll take an hour). It's fairly predictable.

Is that likely to flip to a different 'mon when the nests change? It's definitely not an area or cluster type nest.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Beyond that you also have spawnpoints which every hour have a chance to spawn a specific Pokemon uncommon to the environment. This is just a single Pokemon and I'd estimate the chance at about 1/3. If you live near one of these you can see multiple of these a day, but there's no pattern or guarantee that they will appear. These are called frequent spawn points, but some people also call them nests (a name which really should be preserved for what Dahbadu described above to avoid confusion).

The place where I found the Diglett I mentioned earlier was one of these frequent spawn points. I found it during my first half hour there, but multiple hours could have passed by without me finding a Diglett even tho I knew the exact place and time it could spawn. That's why nests are usually a better option, since you have a guaranteed chance to catch multiple Pokemon of a specific kind.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 15, 2016

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Mierenneuker posted:

Beyond that you also have spawnpoints which every hour have a chance to spawn a specific Pokemon uncommon to the environment. This is just a single Pokemon and I'd estimate the chance at about 1/3. If live near one of these you can multiple of these a day, but there's no pattern or guarantee that they will appear. These are called frequent spawn points, but some people also call them nests (a name which really should be preserved for what Dahbadu described above to avoid confusion).

The one near my house is definitely a spawn chance every half hour rather than every hour. I've had 3 in 90 mins before. Very rarely 2 will spawn at once.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

Beyond that you also have spawnpoints which every hour have a chance to spawn a specific Pokemon uncommon to the environment. This is just a single Pokemon and I'd estimate the chance at about 1/3. If live near one of these you can multiple of these a day, but there's no pattern or guarantee that they will appear. These are called frequent spawn points, but some people also call them nests (a name which really should be preserved for what Dahbadu described above to avoid confusion).

Yeah, "cluster nests" are very noticeable. Here's what Lucchesi looks like about 55 minutes after the hour:

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

yea i just scanned your park, for all those stops im surprised you dont have as many spawn points as this sub... but spawn points were cell data hotspots and stops were just kind of assigned by the ingress people as far as i recall it being described to me. so that part makes sense for a literal goddamn park

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Whelp. Hi Snorlax. Too bad I don't have any pokeballs.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

Is there any sane reason people keep making games that only become actually playable after you've put literally hundreds of hours into them? My wife and I both gave up awhile ago and they don't seem to be planning on catering to the "I don't obsess over the game" crowd

I play maybe a few hours total a week combined. I think I'd qualify as not obsessing over it, and I think it's still fine. It's missing desirable features, sure. But otherwise I don't see much of an issue if you aren't an "I need exact numbers for my IVs!" kind of player or something. And I think everyone is over not being able to find stuff on purpose by now.

I just like to see cartoon monsters that I can get and say, 'hey, I got that one I really liked in 5th grade' :shrug:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

precision posted:

The new buddy system seems cool as a way to get candy just by walking, which is the only thing I do because I don't care about winning gyms. If they figure out how to make the game work without keeping the screen on, I'll be all over it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

PerniciousKnid posted:

The new buddy system seems cool as a way to get candy just by walking, which is the only thing I do because I don't care about winning gyms. If they figure out how to make the game work without keeping the screen on, I'll be all over it.

I feel this should be the next big step as from there they can push notifications to the phones while the game's closed and entice people that are playing the game less to jump in. That, or give out incubators via specials or whatever will hook people on walking more.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

3/4 of the way through Lvl 26 and I finally got my first 100% IV pokemon.

A 179CP Jynx :doh:

But I hatched my first Lickitung and am one Koffing away from a Weezing so a good day overall.

Are nest changes rolled out globally or is it a US-only thing? All the ones round my workplace have been Jynx and Drowzie since launch. I've noticed changes in the frequency that spawn points spit out particular pokemon. The one in my office seems to be Ghastly, Shellder and Horsea right now (I'm not near water). Previously it was Bellsprout, Goldeen and Paras. Weird combos that I can only guess are chosen at random.

edit: Has anyone else noticed an increase in battery drain since the update? I've a Moto G4 and it's draining my battery even when plugged into my work computer and the phone is a lot hotter than before. I've had to resort to bringing in my Quick Charge wall charger. I installed a system update around the same time as the PoGo update so I don't know which to blame.

Clyde Radcliffe fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 15, 2016

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Has Niantic acknowledged that this new update hosed things up for some people, and that they're at least looking into it?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

gently caress you game just hatch the drat thing.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Really digging this new update.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Hrist posted:

Late reply, but I'm not too upset about not getting it or anything. I went into it knowing it was way too high for my level to actually catch. But you never know how the RNG will go, so I tried anyway just to see.

that's not a thing. When you hit level 20 it gets harder

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Jamesman posted:

Has Niantic acknowledged that this new update hosed things up for some people, and that they're at least looking into it?

Hahahaha hahahah, niantic saying anything about this game.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Dahbadu posted:

Lucchesi Park (in the Meetup above) is a "cluster" Jynx spawn nest currently. This means once every hour, multiple Jynx spawn around the same time (spawn points permitting) in place of whatever else may spawn from those spawn points. These spawns are also beholden to the normal spawn point timers. e.g. So if a spawn point normally triggers at 45 minutes after the hour, and if a Jynx spawns from there, it will spawn at that time.

You may have got the words wrong.

Nests are cluster spawns, multiples at one spot at one time.

Frequent spawn area are multiples over a larger area, larger times.

Rare spawns are single points where rare pokemon appear (different species)

edit: vv nests change every 2 or 3 weeks. updates are every 2 weeks. someone who I assume had a brain on reddit said the 16th, as that was 3 weeks since the last change. I hope machop goes back to abra, and not to tentacool like someone mentioned. I only paid attention to the "fsa" locations after the abra update.

edit2: just remembered theres a second less common but still fsa that was diglett and now meowth. before diglett it was mankey. so I have that to look forward to at least. mankey and tentacool, woohoo.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 15, 2016

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

thats what i was looking for

now who told everyone that the spawn patterns are going to change tomorrow?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Reddit?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

can someone explain the spark meme where they look away with the arms thing

I'm not with it

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

Some of reddit has been very useful in figuring out mechanics. Some people from other communities also post on reddit, as it's an easy open place to share information and doesn't require :10bux:

I understand it's basically cancer for that reason, but people ought to give it some credit for all the data mining and testing they've done. I think it was one of the silph road guys that mentioned nest changes though, in one of their recent videos. And it's hard to argue with basic math when the nest changes have been 3 weeks apart before.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hgg4unK_4g migrations @ 3:50

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 15, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

edit: Has anyone else noticed an increase in battery drain since the update? I've a Moto G4 and it's draining my battery even when plugged into my work computer and the phone is a lot hotter than before. I've had to resort to bringing in my Quick Charge wall charger. I installed a system update around the same time as the PoGo update so I don't know which to blame.
Yes, I was able to play before but now my poor lovely Nexus 5 instantly overheats the moment I turn on GPS the same time as the game, even indoors in air conditioning. GPS by itself in another app doesn't do it and GO by itself with GPS off doesn't do it. Since they disabled my ability to use battery-saving location mode (always shows as no GPS) I'm effectively dead in the water.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Eyochigan posted:

You may have got the words wrong.

Nests are cluster spawns, multiples at one spot at one time.

Frequent spawn area are multiples over a larger area, larger times.

Rare spawns are single points where rare pokemon appear (different species)

edit: vv nests change every 2 or 3 weeks. updates are every 2 weeks. someone who I assume had a brain on reddit said the 16th, as that was 3 weeks since the last change. I hope machop goes back to abra, and not to tentacool like someone mentioned. I only paid attention to the "fsa" locations after the abra update.

edit2: just remembered theres a second less common but still fsa that was diglett and now meowth. before diglett it was mankey. so I have that to look forward to at least. mankey and tentacool, woohoo.

I don't have the word wrongs. Did you misread my post? I have observed "custer spawn" nests and their behavior is as I stated.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

He liked my post more than yours.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Bacon Hat posted:

yea i just scanned your park, for all those stops im surprised you dont have as many spawn points as this sub... but spawn points were cell data hotspots and stops were just kind of assigned by the ingress people as far as i recall it being described to me. so that part makes sense for a literal goddamn park

Yeah, it's kinda frustrating. We have some great parks in the area, and some of them have a lot of Pokestops, but most of the natural spawn points are surrounding the park and not actually inside the park. I'm guessing most parks suffer from this, to be honest.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

yamdankee posted:

Anyone experiencing any issues after upgrading to iOS 10? Seems like it can't get a GPS lock in my office anymore. I used to just let it sit open and slowly gather walking distance by the GPS adjusting every so often. But now I have the big red bar at the top "GPS signal not found". :confused:

GPS has really been screwed up for the past 2 days ever since it seemed like everyone got hit with the update. I'm constantly like 10-20 meters north of where I really am and now it's getting really bad where it's messing me up in gym battles because it thinks I moved out of range so I get error'd out of a battle and get slapped with the bug of not letting me fight again until I hit a different gym before trying back. Getting a lot of "YOU'RE MOVING TOO FAST" messages when I'm just sitting still organizing things in the Pokemon menu because my avatar must be zooming around like an idiot.

I'm not iOS though so I'm just saying I think there's something screwy going on with this new update and GPS in general. Sometimes it'll go back to being accurate, but then it'll lock up and not move me sometimes when trying to figure out my location again so my avatar is stuck back up the street where I was a minute ago. My GPS in other apps like Nike Run is working just fine while this is all going on, and my finished run map doesn't show myself bouncing all over the place or off the trail like Pokemon Go is doing.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Eyochigan posted:

I understand it's basically cancer for that reason

Normal people aren't scared of reddit, especially seeing as the POTUS has done an AMA. The only people that ever complain about it are ones that are more attached to some other forum.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Reddit certainly has an overarching ouvre with its own distasteful qualities, but it's mostly just a unremarkable utility site like Facebook. People set up their own subforums and it's up to them to enforce whichever particularities or merits they're interested in promoting.

So /r/pokemongo is a cesspit where assholes jack each other for pictures of magikarp next to their cat, /r/thesilphroad is a little more curated and manages to concisely investigate open questions about the game mechanics, and /r/pokemongodev hosts a cohort of Actual People who legitimately served up the equivalent of a quarter million dollars of infosecurity work by tearing open the checksum'd game API in fewer than two days.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I believe you mean /r/thesilphroad is full of sperglords who like a trash mobile game for children just a little bit more than me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpMPSt3vPlM&t=57s

Some John Henke pokemon go live talk thing. an interview. questions and answers. Ditto is the very last question, you have to be a hardcore player. I don't know if that means naming conventions or 1000km or rng.

edit: Niantic is 70+ employees, ~140 contractors for support etc. and they are in daily talks with Pokemon Company in Japan for game lore, and PC America for their partnership duties. Not quite hands on. :(

edit2: Henke just said pokeyman.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 16, 2016

• Locked thread