Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Maybe he was talking about ballrus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Yungoos is actually Gumshoos' rambunctious and slightly more chaotic partner, letting him serve as a contrast to Gumshoos' laidback personality ala Sam & Max

Oh, so he's a 'goos cannon. :haw:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Space T Rex posted:

Wow lots of bad onions I'm seeing!

Also I've never understood this argument. Simple design =/= bad design. They are pretty much pokeballs with eyes which makes no sense in like, lore. Like what are the odds? But in terms of just design they're pretty unique and interesting I think.

This is opposed to say, a key ring which is about as unique and interesting as a key ring.

Klefki is great.

I will never understand why a key fairy makes people so angry.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
if you think voltorb is good design, then klefki should come across as genius

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
i like chingling and chimecho

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
voltorb is literally just a pokeball with eyes, while klefki at least has some character to it, namely the fact it's face looks like a charm

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Space T Rex posted:

Wow lots of bad onions I'm seeing!

Also I've never understood this argument. Simple design =/= bad design. They are pretty much pokeballs with eyes which makes no sense in like, lore. Like what are the odds? But in terms of just design they're pretty unique and interesting I think.

The argument isn't simple=bad it's that a lot of gen one pokemon are so simple they feel lazy and uninspired even compared to other Gen 1 pokemon. Charizard is simple dragon-like thing, Blastoise is a simple design of Animal+Feature, Whimsicott is a simple design (Cotton Boll+Sheep). Voltorb is an interesting gimmick (A pokemon that camouflages itself as a pokeball to hide from predators/trainers.) but they did it in the least imaginative, least interesting way by just making it a pokeball with angry eyes. The Amoonguss line is the same concept done in a way that's at least a step above in thought process and makes a bit more sense since it's a creature/plant that's evolved to camouflaged itself where Voltorb isn't anything. It's not an animal or a plant it's just a ball.

Similarly there's a few designs in every gen (though admittedly this happens more frequently in Gen 1-2) where the pokemon is just a normal animal but slightly stylized. Not enough to be an outright cartoon monster like the rest of pokemon but more than not at all. Dewgong is just an albino seal with a tiny tiny horn so that you know it's not actually just a seal. It's just lazy.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 15, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
hey at least voltorb and electrode are really fast!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zoness posted:

hey at least voltorb and electrode are really fast!

Why bother with the camouflage then, if you can just Sonic Spinball out of there?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

mandatory lesbian posted:

voltorb is literally just a pokeball with eyes, while klefki at least has some character to it, namely the fact it's face looks like a charm

Electrode is smug as hell and blows itself up for fun. It has an enormous grin and a charming wink and its great.

Klefki is just a pair of keys and I hate it :reject:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i'm talking about voltorb not electrode

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
I wrote a post but it was too spergy I need to go outside and stop getting mad about voltorbs!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Voltorb is a terrible, terrible design, but Electrode is cool and good

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Like, if you put a voltorb and electrode side by side, I can tell they are different Pokemon, but hell if I could tell you which is which.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Finding a Foongus for the first time was really one of the greatest pleasures I experienced in all of Gen V.

"Oh they made a new fake item Pokemon what is it- ahahahaha holy poo poo!"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Japanese folks seem to believe that Lillie is voiced by Hisako Kanemoto

aka the voice actor for

idk they all sound the same to me

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

like a shepard tone that never stops rising, except it's not a shepard tone

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Amongus is a chore to encounter because he will toxic you 100% of the time

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Dabir posted:

idk they all sound the same to me

its funny because shes a squid girl

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Electrode is smug as hell and blows itself up for fun. It has an enormous grin and a charming wink and its great.

Klefki has a cute little face.

I love the fact that it jangles it's keys at it's foes to scare them away. It's adorable.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Internet Kraken posted:

Dude Klefki has four keys at minimum.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
What's the in game explanation for the discovery of fairy type and the reclassification of a bunch of Pokémon into it

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Calaveron posted:

What's the in game explanation for the discovery of fairy type and the reclassification of a bunch of Pokémon into it

None. And you know what? That's okay.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

to poo poo on dark, fighting, and dragon types

because those types were indisputably king at everything

that's the lore reason too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

its literally just

"Hey so we recently discovered that fairy is its own typing and that all those years Clefable was totally immune to Outrage!"

It makes roughly 0 sense.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Calaveron posted:

"Fairy types showed up, that's weird."

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
also because togekiss is kickin rad

i love togekiss

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

"Fairy types showed up, that's weird."

They didn't even show up, they've literally been around for more than two thousand years since one actually ties into the Az plot. And one of them is Xerneas.

We just decided to reclassify them recently because... :shrug:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Calaveron posted:

whats it matter

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I'm just curious about how deep the pokelore goes
And basically if a Gen 1 through 5 Pokemon was pink it was fairy all along right

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
if you're some kind of idiot who need their children's video-game to have a complete canon, then just go with what ORAS implied and say these are set in a different universe then the first 5 generations

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Pokemon games are simulations, and new versions of the simulations correct errors in the previous ones.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
yeah but how do you justify steel suddenly not resisting dark and ghost~

please don't bother

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Didn't they imply in ORAS that every pokemon generation takes place in a separate, slightly different universe? So the fairy type wasn't discovered, it had always been there in the Gen 6 universe.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Alternate universe or something. At the end of the day, who cares?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Didn't they imply in ORAS that every pokemon generation takes place in a separate, slightly different universe? So the fairy type wasn't discovered, it had always been there in the Gen 6 universe.

I mean this is totally how they should have handled it. But Dexio and Sina make a weirdly big deal about how it was just discovered early on in Kalos then they just... never talk about it again.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zoness posted:

yeah but how do you justify steel suddenly not resisting dark and ghost~

please don't bother

Steel smelting recipes shifted thanks to a sudden strange event on Mt. Coronet making it harder to get ore out of the Shinnoh region so the Steel makers had to make due to keep prices competitive.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

All Pokemon are good and are my friends. They feel the same about us. Don't be mean.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Die Laughing posted:

All Pokemon are good and are my friends. They feel the same about us. Don't be mean.

what about the pokemon literally made of malevolence and hatred.

there are like five of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

It's like how in the anime someone will be like "Oh no, Greninja is weak to Venusaur's attacks because water type Pokemon are weak to grass moves!" but then it doesn't even end up mattering like, a little bit. Mechanically, the games represent strict outcomes based on type advantage, but in "reality" there would be variations. In this case, someone finally figured out that Clefairy was wrecking Salamence's poo poo as a result of type advantage and reclassified accordingly.