Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
This is real sweet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl1c8F2-WNY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

It was nice, but...Mickle-Roy? Hasn't he ever heard them pronounce their last name?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
He pronounces the T in Nougat so there's a special circle in pronounciation hell for him.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
....h... how are you supposed to pronounce nougat?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Like all americans I learned about nougat from a Snickers commercial and I'll be god damned if I'm going to argue with a Snickers commercial.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Meowjesty posted:

Nuggerg.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Meowjesty posted:

New-gah, but American pronunciation is "new-get".

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Noujehhhh

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Nerm Nerm.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
That video was Extremely Annoying

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

ALFbrot posted:

That video was Extremely Annoying

He has this awful habit of saying a clear joke, and then proceeding to explain it like three times. Other than that, I dug the idea of the video.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

IRT to mystery food: sometimes some anonymous person leaves out stuff like boxes of macaroni and cheese and cereal in the hallway of my apartment floor. Being that I am desperately poor I take it, because hey, free food.

Helps that it's prepacked stuff, tho.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I liked the video

I pronounce the t

Come at me motherfuckers

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Guys, he's not mispronouncing McElroy, we all have been:

https://twitter.com/griffinmcelroy/status/776234777368141824

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

The video was okay. Would like to see more analysis on the McElroys sense of humor.

One guy I know on tumblr did a bit on why their usage of "boy" as a descriptor was funny.

E: Found the post.

spacetwinks posted:

1. delivery. this is one of those ethereals of comedy that’s hard to really center around, but like, you know it when you see it, hear it, right? their delivery is solid, confident, they do not hesitate to say ‘boy’, they are confident with the word ‘boy’, they are proud (and that may be the true sticking point here) when they say the word ‘boy’. the way they say boy matters. if ‘boy’ was said aggressive, derisively, it changes the entire context.

2. speaking of: context! the mcelroys create their own context here. saying “boy” itself may not be funny, but mcelroys create a context around it that creates a mental sort of short path of “mcelroys say boy”. when the mcelroys say the word boy, after enough watching or listening, you’re not thinking of the word “boy” all on its own, but you’re thinking of all those other times the mcelroys have said “boy”.

think of the Rule Of 3. obviously, the mcelroys go WAY past 3, but the idea behind it - with the rule of 3, you are creating a history, a context, as you approach that 3rd performance of the same joke. you are drawing on the audience’s memory of you saying the thing, not just the thing itself, and so create that shared context when you say it again. without that context, the joke is different performed singularly. or, like… take a joke performed in threes in something, then remove the first two occurrences. how weird is the third performance of that joke now? the context is cut out. it might still be FUNNY, but it’s not the same, right?

perhaps you can think of it as a catchphrase, but thankfully, the mcelroys don’t use it so much as that as just an anchoring word to attach other ideas and feelings around. they don’t just say ‘boy’, they add a ton of descriptors around the word ‘boy’, creating a vivid sort of image in your mind, even as you’re watching that image before you play out. add in that they tend to say it in an adoring instead of a derisive fashion, and this goofy earnestness creates a kind of laughter in us.

by saying the word ‘boy’ so much, the mcelroys give you, the audience, expectations and understandings of the word boy said by these three specific people, quite different than how it would be taken by others, or in other situations. can you think of a context in which someone saying the word ‘boy’ would actually piss you off? sure you could.

but thanks to the constant repetition, the mcelroys progressively build in this learned context to when they say boy, then modify it with all those descriptions, and then their delivery clinches it.

that is, if you find the joke funny at all, which you might not! but either way, there’s a lot of tools of comedy going on almost invisibly when the mcelroys deploy the word ‘boy’ into their podcasts, videos, etc.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 15, 2016

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Mikedawson posted:

The video was okay. Would like to see more analysis on the McElroys sense of humor.

One guy I know on tumblr did a bit on why their usage of "boy" as a descriptor was funny.

Um. Thanks?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I use the word boy much more frequently ever since the McElroy's voices started tickling my eardrums, and I guess my life is better for it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I used the word boy this very day to refer to a recent reconstruction of a dinosaur that's being hailed as the most accurate one to date.

I love this dinoboy.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Boy oh boy boy sweet boy oh boyyy

please kill me before the infection spreaBoy oh boy good boy boy boy boy-boy

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

I used the word boy this very day to refer to a recent reconstruction of a dinosaur that's being hailed as the most accurate one to date.

I love this dinoboy.

That's a beautiful boy

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Heads up fellas
https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/776509303427477504

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Waffleman_ posted:

Look at this handsome boy right here.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I use "boy" to refer to my cat. He's my good good tuna fish boy.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

My first child is due this December- we don't have a name chosen yet so in the meantime I am referring to him as Mr Boy.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Mikedawson posted:

The only thing better than comedy is amateur deconstruction of it

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Soft body car boys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOozpp0mRcY

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Just Offscreen posted:

My first child is due this December- we don't have a name chosen yet so in the meantime I am referring to him as Mr Boy.

Please do

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

ALFbrot posted:

The only thing better than comedy is amateur deconstruction of it

If that were a regular SA post, would you say the same thing?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

jesus christ the next episode teaser

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

absolutely anything posted:

jesus christ the next episode teaser

Them cars is liquid

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I realized this while listening to this episode before the boys themselves referenced Chronicle: Car Boys is like watching found footage of two friends discovering they have reality-breaking powers while being stalked by a dark unknowable force.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/mutaharu/status/776620467767488512

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
William Blake's "The Tyger" is actually about Busto, he just didn't know it when he wrote it 200 years ago

quote:

Busto Busto, burning bright,
In the racetracks of the night;
What immortal hand or eye,
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies.
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand, dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder, & what art,
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat,
What dread hand? & what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain,
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp,
Dare its deadly terrors clasp!

When the stars threw down their spears
And water'd heaven with their tears:
Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

Busto Busto, burning bright,
In the racetracks of the night:
What immortal hand or eye,
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Hello Car Boys? I'm going to need to see what that "Negative Earth" gravity preset is.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Roach Warehouse posted:

Hello Car Boys? I'm going to need to see what that "Negative Earth" gravity preset is.

And also, what happens when Busto 2.0 is exposed to it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Their acapella singing wasn't bad but they forgot the lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuX5_OWObA0

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Someone at Polygon made a goofer and uploaded the same episode as last week for Cool Games Inc :allears:

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Roach Warehouse posted:

It just sets the slider to +9.8

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Just Offscreen posted:

My 1.5 year old son self Identifies as "Boy" not that he is a boy, but when you ask him, he tells you his name is Boy. He knows his name and can say it, but he wants to be called Boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Team_q posted:

My 1.5 year old son self Identifies as "Boy" not that he is a boy, but when you ask him, he tells you his name is Boy. He knows his name and can say it, but he wants to be called Boy.

I'm sorry to have to tell you this but your son is an NPC in a jrpg.