Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I would love this, personally.

Though, wasn't 2014 at least kinda in continuity with at least the original? I mean it's been two years since I saw it but I could've swore I remembered there being bits about them knowing Godzilla existed and that he had a bit of a reputation with the Japanese scientist at least.

G14 references 1954 as the year a nuclear submarine first reached the lower depths of the ocean, which awakened Godzilla, but the movie never implies that it made landfall or attacked a city, or that the original, one-eyed Dr. Serizawa exists in any capacity. Monarch managed to keep its existence a secret by explaining their attempts to kill it as atomic bomb tests. I like to imagine that since this is a being that thrives on radiation, he enjoyed being nuked, and eventually absorbed enough of it to get 'full' and went back to sleeping in the mariana trench or whatever.

Interestingly the 1998 movie also has Godzilla as a sort of legendary figure. The old fisherman calls whatever attacked his boat 'Gojira'. It's not clear if Godzilla is supposed to have attacked Japan in the past in this continuity or if he's simply a figure of tall tales and mysterious boating accidents. I would not expect that something on the scale of the 54 movie happened as the entire world would definitely have heard about it.

The Showa series from 54-75 makes up one of the oldest 'cinematic universes', second only to the Universal monster movies from the 30s. It happened in a very organic way, not completely unlike the Avengers movies did, but if anything less intentionally. See initially, Godzilla was not that popular a character in Japan. This is why he loses in King Kong Vs. Godzilla. Toho's King Kong would go on to have his own life as a very distinct character from the American Kong. He has electrical powers and fought a robot version of himself years before Godzilla did. At the time he was way more popular than Godzilla, who was still a villainous character. King Kong Vs. Godzilla was a massive hit, so Toho started looking in its back catalog to see what other monsters they could throw together. The 'shared universe' concept really got off the ground when Mothra got involved. Mothra had its own successful solo movie in 1961, and in 64 it was added to the expanding Godzilla canon in Mothra Vs. Godzilla. Rodan, who had also been the star of a solo monster movie, joined in the 1964 film (Yep, there were two theatrical Godzilla releases in 1964) Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, with Mothra making another appearance alongside Godzilla. If you're curious this is the movie featuring Godzilla's pivot from destroyer of worlds to reluctant anti-hero, which is completed by the next movie, Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965), the movie featuring Godzilla's famous victory dance. Incidentally these three movies form a sort of redemptive trilogy for Godzilla and taken together, they're quite probably the absolute best kaiju movies ever made.

Toho had a lot of other monster movies back in the day, and future Godzilla movies would pick and choose elements from each one, suggesting that every Toho movie exists in the same 'world'. Anguirus, the monster Godzilla killed in his second screen appearance, was recast as Godzilla's pal and recurring sidekick. Baragon from Frankenstein Vs. Baragon and Manda from Atragon both appeared alongside Godzilla and friends in Destroy All Monsters, which even featured an extremely brief cameo from Varan of Varan the Unbelievable "fame".

Far into the future the Millenium series would pick up and reference a lot of these older movies. The giant insect Megaguirus from Godzilla vs. Megaguirus is descended from the Meganulon which Rodan eats in the Rodan solo movie. GMK actually exists in-canon with Godzilla 1998, while clarifying that it wasn't 'actually' Godzilla, but a monster the Americans mistook for the real thing. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla actually references War of the Gargantuas, which was probably the best-known Toho monster movie that hadn't been officially folded into the Godzilla canon until that point. And of course Final Wars effectively references the entire Toho canon from the 60s-70s, bringing back most of Godzilla's enemy monsters and the anti-monster airships from Atragon. Final Wars does feature footage from the Heisei and Millennium series in the credits but none of the unique monsters from these movies actually appear in the movie itself, so I count Final Wars as the last Showa movie, made thirty years after the fact. (Of course G14 might as well be a Showa movie too.) The only Toho property I can think of off the top of my head without some kind of relationship with the Godzilla franchise is the mushroom people from The Mysterians.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Travis343 posted:

Godzilla canon
Thank you so much. This is a phenomenal post and I wish I could buy you something. I've copied and pasted it onto a word doc for later reference. You are loving awesome.

Godzilla rules.

To add to the discussion, here's the new look from next month's Godzilla Resurgence.

I like how he looks like he's suffering from radiation sickness.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget how they decided to build Mecha Godzilla III over the bones of the 54 Godzilla. Which is insane.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

Don't forget how they decided to build Mecha Godzilla III over the bones of the 54 Godzilla. Which is insanely awesome.

Please get it right.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can you give a rough ranking of Godzilla movies? I've only ever watched the original and the American ones, but I'll check out those three you mention for sure.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Final Wars gets 5 out of 5 Don Fryes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sion posted:

Jeez, WB are still going full bore with this whole thing, aren't they?

Yeah it's not like Suicide Squad was a massive success or anything.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Light Gun Man posted:

Don't forget how they decided to build Mecha Godzilla III over the bones of the 54 Godzilla. Which is insane.

Yeah, between this and Biollante's origin I can see why they wanted the dude behind Evangelion to direct Shin Gojira. I am reasonably excited for the new movie but I don't think any theaters near me are going to play it.

I actually forgot one neat bit of trivia there, in that Gorosaurus appeared first in King Kong Escapes, which was a spin-off Toho Kong movie from King Kong Vs. Godzilla, and then looped back to Godzilla's series to appear in Destroy All Monsters. King Kong himself never met Godzilla again at least until the new Legendary movie happens.

Endless Mike posted:

Can you give a rough ranking of Godzilla movies? I've only ever watched the original and the American ones, but I'll check out those three you mention for sure.

My personal favorites, right off the dome:
Showa
Godzilla (1954)
Invasion of Astro Monster
Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster
Terror of Mechagodzilla

Heisei
Return of Godzilla
Godzilla vs. Biollante
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah

Millenium
Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack
Godzilla: Final Wars

And G14 is not really part of any series (yet) but I fuckin love it. Im just on lunch right now so I can get a little more in depth this evening.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 15, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dario the Wop posted:

To add to the discussion, here's the new look from next month's Godzilla Resurgence.

I like how he looks like he's suffering from radiation sickness.

Well his look's based off of the look of Hiroshima victims' charred corpses.

Rhyno posted:

Yeah it's not like Suicide Squad was a massive success or anything.

You're right, it wasn't.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Thems some good posts Travis thanks for the lowdown :)

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, I really enjoyed reading those. Good effortposts, Trav.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Godzilla was a Special Interest of mine when I was like, thirteen. I've always been a little sad I'm not into it anymore, because if I was the new stuff would drive me wild. It sucks having only been a fan in the dry spell between Final Wars and G14.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Thanks everyone. I've been super obsessed with the big guy since I was like, three. Glad to get the chance to put some of it to a good use.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My favorite Godzilla monster is Orga, because no one likes him and he does elbow drops.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

So this link is gone. What was it so I could look it up?

EDIT: Found it

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 15, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Shageletic posted:

So this link is gone. What was it so I could look it up?

Google X-Men Apocolypse Deleted Mall Scene.

It should be on Youtube, but it's blocked at work.

It's just a 2-minute scene of Nightcrawler, Jean Gray, Jubilee, and Cyclops walking around a mall. Nightcrawler gets a brainfreeze from a slushee and Scott accuses Jean of cheating in Joust by reading his mind. Jubilee uses her powers to get unlimited plays at the arcade machine and Nightcrawler uses his tail to play a driving game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lurdiak posted:

My favorite Godzilla monster is Orga, because no one likes him and he does elbow drops.
Gigan just wants a hug :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Travis343 posted:

Yeah, between this and Biollante's origin I can see why they wanted the dude behind Evangelion to direct Shin Gojira. I am reasonably excited for the new movie but I don't think any theaters near me are going to play it.

I actually forgot one neat bit of trivia there, in that Gorosaurus appeared first in King Kong Escapes, which was a spin-off Toho Kong movie from King Kong Vs. Godzilla, and then looped back to Godzilla's series to appear in Destroy All Monsters. King Kong himself never met Godzilla again at least until the new Legendary movie happens.

My personal favorites, right off the dome:
Showa
Godzilla (1954)
Invasion of Astro Monster
Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster
Terror of Mechagodzilla

Heisei
Return of Godzilla
Godzilla vs. Biollante
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah

Millenium
Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack
Godzilla: Final Wars

And G14 is not really part of any series (yet) but I fuckin love it. Im just on lunch right now so I can get a little more in depth this evening.

Thanks! I will definitely check these out

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Travis343 posted:

Thanks everyone. I've been super obsessed with the big guy since I was like, three. Glad to get the chance to put some of it to a good use.

Right there with you dude. I'd have made the effort posts but I'm lazy and forgot half the stuff so you probably did a better job anyway!

For some reason for years I would always fall asleep while watching Godzilla VS Megalon. Like I used it as an insomnia cure a few times. I don't even hate the movie or anything, it just puts me to sleep. However, last time I watched an HD copy and stayed awake, so maybe it has to be a 4:3 VHS rip or something for that effect. So weird.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Travis343 posted:

Excellent write-up

I was most into Godzilla when I was young in the late '90's, early 2000's, so I had to make do with what the local rental place had, and when I was visiting my grandparents, the handful of old Godzilla movies they had. Unfortunately, like I mentioned, this lead to me watching a lot of Godzilla, but really only a small portion of them in total. I still have a soft spot for the first American one, I swear I saw it in theatres like, eight times. My favourite of all the movies though is actually probably Rodan. I was super excited when I found a cheap copy of it at a local store.

Is the Criterion Edition of Godzilla worth it? I've been looking at filling up my giant monster movie collection, since Rodan and Godzilla vs. Biollante by themselves is a little sad.

Dario the Wop posted:

Apparently Resurgence Godzilla is way different from the other Godzillas, I'm super excited. It should be showing at a relatively nearby theatre, I hope to catch it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

catlord posted:

Is the Criterion Edition of Godzilla worth it?

Yes

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
James Rolfe, the Angry Video Game Nerd is a big Godzilla fan and did a month of reviews of the series a few years ago
http://cinemassacre.com/category/moviereviews/monstermadness/monster-madness-2008/

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

That's what I thought, Criterion's pretty cool, I was just looking at this collection and wondering if it was worth double dipping for the cool fancy version. Oof, wish I had money to throw around.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'd add Godzilla vs Hedorah to that list, if only because it's so loving bizarre. The villain can turn into a UFO and at one point he attacks a go-go club just because. I personally really love the Heisei films. They're all extremely watchable and there's a bit of a running story between them. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah is my favorite, again mostly for the insane plot.

I went through and watched almost all of the Godzilla films about two years ago and I read this guy's reviews as I went.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 15, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

catlord posted:

That's what I thought, Criterion's pretty cool, I was just looking at this collection and wondering if it was worth double dipping for the cool fancy version. Oof, wish I had money to throw around.

I love the Criterion Collection and buy from them during any of the Barnes and Noble or Criterion Site sales where they are half off. They do amazing restorations and HD upgrades, not to mention the special features are basically the best in home video.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

catlord posted:

I have both, and I prefer the Criterion for Godzilla '54. The set is fine, but you're buying it mostly for the other films. The Criterion has an astounding amount of bonus material and it's hard to beat the quality of the film transfer.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'd add Godzilla vs Hedorah to that list, if only because it's so loving bizarre. The villain can turn into a UFO and at one point he attacks a go-go club just because. I personally really love the Heisei films. They're all extremely watchable and there's a bit of a running story between them. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah is my favorite, again mostly for the insane plot.

I went through and watched almost all of the Godzilla films about two years ago and I read this guy's reviews as I went.

Yeah vs. Hedorah is definitely worth a watch just to see how you feel about it. Most people either love it or hate it. It's hands down the weirdest Godzilla movie ever made. I definitely suggest watching the whole series but that was just a list of my personal favorites.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

I love the Criterion Collection and buy from them during any of the Barnes and Noble or Criterion Site sales where they are half off. They do amazing restorations and HD upgrades, not to mention the special features are basically the best in home video.

Yeah, they're fantastic, I have a couple and I definitely recommend them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've not seen it, but I've long been sort of fascinated (even though I can't read the annotations) by this cross-section of Hedorah.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

James Rolfe, the Angry Video Game Nerd is a big Godzilla fan and did a month of reviews of the series a few years ago
http://cinemassacre.com/category/moviereviews/monstermadness/monster-madness-2008/

This is what prompted me to sit down and watch every Godzilla flick. Thankfully i have a friend with legal releases of every film so it wasn't that hard.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is Godzilla the only instance in popular fiction where multiple timelines all diverge from a common chapter of the story? Godzilla's mix of timelines shouldn't be confusing to anyone in BSS who is used to DC's reboots or Marvel's mix of 616 and Ultimate but even beyond comics I'm trying to think of stories that are reboots or remakes that still all use one story in the chain as the beginning.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lobok posted:

Is Godzilla the only instance in popular fiction where multiple timelines all diverge from a common chapter of the story? Godzilla's mix of timelines shouldn't be confusing to anyone in BSS who is used to DC's reboots or Marvel's mix of 616 and Ultimate but even beyond comics I'm trying to think of stories that are reboots or remakes that still all use one story in the chain as the beginning.
Zelda

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, Zelda goes Skyward Sword, Minish Cap, Ocarina of Time, then splits into three different timelines.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TBF that was all retrofitted after the fact and makes literally zero difference in any game in the series. I have no idea about Godzilla.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think both American Godzillas treat themselves as the first time people are made aware of Godzilla's existence to milk the drama and mystery from having to come to terms with the fact that giant lizard that breathes fire exists, so they don't ALL follow the events of the first film.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Lobok posted:

Besides comics you could also call this in properties like Star Wars, Star Trek, anything that has multiple licensed spin-offs which are later declared non-canon.

Hell, there's a minis wargaming company that has an entire "Star Fleet Universe" that is basically licensed fanfic, because they bought a license to the Star Trek universe in 1979, before the first film came out, and the property was only hot with nerdy college students.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Lurdiak posted:

Well his look's based off of the look of Hiroshima victims' charred corpses.
Well I didn't know that! :(

Not sure if this was posted but bears repeating:

I kinda hope they wait a few years and recast the role.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

I think both American Godzillas treat themselves as the first time people are made aware of Godzilla's existence to milk the drama and mystery from having to come to terms with the fact that giant lizard that breathes fire exists, so they don't ALL follow the events of the first film.

Sometimes it's more of a "oh gently caress he's back again, what haven't we tried against him yet?" story.

He doesn't breathe fire :spergin:

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Dragons breathe fire, dude. Godzilla breathes atomic fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Lobok posted:

For a while DC had Batman Year One as the starting point for Batman in both the main universe and Frank Miller's insane alternate universe, but since New52, and more specifically Zero Year, that's no longer the case.

• Locked thread