Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Zore posted:

We just decided to reclassify them recently because... :shrug:

That happens all the time in real life, though - it took us nearly a century to confirm that termites were actually a kind of cockroach, for example, changing the way we looked at their biology and evolution completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Calaveron posted:

What's the in game explanation for the discovery of fairy type and the reclassification of a bunch of Pokémon into it

Typings are a social construct

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bleck posted:

That happens all the time in real life, though - it took us nearly a century to confirm that termites were actually a kind of cockroach, for example, changing the way we looked at their biology and evolution completely.

I feel like when that happened though, termites didn't mysteriously become immune to termite-spray and vulnerable to roach motels.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Why wasn't Gengar immune to Earthquake in Gen 1-2, or Magnemite weak to Fire Blast in Gen 1???

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

what is game balance

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Junpei Hyde posted:

what is game balance

a fruitless endeavor

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Space T Rex posted:

Wow lots of bad onions I'm seeing!

Also I've never understood this argument. Simple design =/= bad design. They are pretty much pokeballs with eyes which makes no sense in like, lore. Like what are the odds? But in terms of just design they're pretty unique and interesting I think.

This is opposed to say, a key ring which is about as unique and interesting as a key ring.

except gen 1 had a poo poo ton of pokemon that were pretty much ball pokemon.

Klefki is a trickster spirit that steals keys which is the exact thing that would have been blamed on a fairy in olden days and it's adorable.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I am sorry my innocent, genuine question about the new type brought so much discord to this thread

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Elfgames posted:

except gen 1 had a poo poo ton of pokemon that were pretty much ball pokemon.

Klefki is a trickster spirit that steals keys which is the exact thing that would have been blamed on a fairy in olden days and it's adorable.

looking forward to the sock fairy pokemon that steals socks from dryers.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Blhue posted:

looking forward to the sock fairy pokemon that steals socks from dryers.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

that thing just steals my apple cores or purple spheres and replaces them with scarves

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Dunban posted:

Well, the anime had a good run in Kalos, but nothing lasts forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvpradB0SQ8

The Sun & Moon anime looks so lively and fun. Really liking the vibe they’re going for. Great animation too. They're not afraid to deform Ash and his buddies' character designs to have cartoony super animated scenes, which is very cool.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Zore posted:

Klefki is great.

I will never understand why a key fairy makes people so angry.

Oh cute key chat!

Mine just died cause I've no idea what to do with him :v:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Golden Goat posted:

Oh cute key chat!

Mine just died cause I've no idea what to do with him :v:

you put swagger and twave on him

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
swagger/t-wave/foul play/safeguard (or reflect or light screen) is more or less a standard klefki set

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The fact that swagger is a post game TM is terrible

Like in game prankster does almost nothing on Klefki

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

what is game balance

idk, but clearly gamefreak doesn't either

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Zoness posted:

swagger/t-wave/foul play/safeguard (or reflect or light screen) is more or less a standard klefki set

couldn't you run dazzling gleam on him for switch-in hits with not a lot of health or would that also require calm mind setup

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rafza posted:

couldn't you run dazzling gleam on him for switch-in hits with not a lot of health or would that also require calm mind setup

you could but it won't hit very hard at all

if you want some damage on switchins you could run spikes in the flex spot but i think screens are generally better for momentum grabbing in singles

if you are predicting a switch just t-wave or swagger or switch to counter their thing that would be immune to t-wave or swagger

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Rafza posted:

you put swagger and twave on him

I'm afraid he's already gone.

Granbull's gonna end up being my only fairy pokemon by the end of this.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Golden Goat posted:

I'm afraid he's already gone.

Granbull's gonna end up being my only fairy pokemon by the end of this.

dire

Zoness posted:

you could but it won't hit very hard at all

if you want some damage on switchins you could run spikes in the flex spot but i think screens are generally better for momentum grabbing in singles

if you are predicting a switch just t-wave or swagger or switch to counter their thing that would be immune to t-wave or swagger

yeah makes more sense. i remember doing a showdown a year or so ago where i ko'd something with dazzling gleam but no calm mind in vgc, it was kind of funny

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

the amount of people saying that the xy anime is good was very distressing, so i'm glad they're making something completely different for sun and moon.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Super No Vacancy posted:

Bulbasaur - sub
Charmander - dom
Squirtle - switch

Bulbasaur literally has vine whips, moron

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Anaranjado posted:

Bulbasaur literally has vine whips, moron

a good sub carries the bondage gear for their dom

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Emong posted:

Hello again, friends. This time I have three female Dream Ball Hidden Ability Cranidos to give away to you. First come first serve, give me whatever you want in exchange.

FC: 0173-1773-4282

I'm not getting any bites over in the trading thread so I figured I'd post it over here too. Let me know if you want one.

e: Though if you do want one you should probably post in the trading thread instead of here.

Emong fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 15, 2016

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

mabels big day posted:

the amount of people saying that the xy anime is good was very distressing, so i'm glad they're making something completely different for sun and moon.

I saw some youtube video where the dude was flipping out because Greninja wasn't in the corocoro leak. I knew XY was considered a bit of a triumph as far as Pokemon cartoons go, but I had no idea just how obsessed these people get. This is pretty much the funniest thing since Ash lost against Alain.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

mabels big day posted:

It's good for the Pokemon anime, but bad when compared to lots of other anime.

Also for something that adapts a story on a week by week basis, it has never gotten to the point of the One Piece or original DBZ anime. To keep that level of animation every week for three years is pretty impressive.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Pokemon XY was a fine thing to have on netflix on my second monitor while I did something grindy in an MMO

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Junpei Hyde posted:

what is game balance

a miserable pile of secrets

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I always appreciate the anime gifs of pokemon doing wacky things in the thread at least

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Junpei Hyde posted:

what is game balance

Naught but an ephemeral dream.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

McDragon posted:

I always appreciate the anime gifs of pokemon doing wacky things in the thread at least

Zygarde is pretty wacky

https://a.pomf.cat/qcwsqz.webm

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Is his "arm" a clothes pin?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I cant believe Lysandre is loving dead

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Gotta admit, I did not see giant robot made of flatworms commanded by a little girl blasting the villain to pieces in a giant Z coming. Way more satisfying than the in-game version. Especially since nobody in the show tried to make the genocidal maniac sympathetic.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Rotom wash jerks his hog in battle and doesn't even care

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

They couldn't have at least given it a voice separate from the red core?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Zodack posted:

They couldn't have at least given it a voice separate from the red core?

I mean, it's essentially the same Pokemon. Also, its "voice" is basically telepathy, so it kinda makes sense that it wouldn't really change.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they really went out of their way with this alolan tentacool design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

That's clearly Mega UB-01.