Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

CubanMissile posted:

I don't know where you guys live that truck owners are running people off the road and rolling over other cars like Bigfoot, but around here people stay in their lanes and drive them just like normal cars.

A truck owner just squished a cyclist here on a newly reopened section of road because he didn't feel like following the speed limit, which was carefully chosen to allow bikes and cars to coexist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

blugu64 posted:

Sounds like you got owned

I wonder what it's like to have such a fragile sense of manhood that I need to tell people my truck makes me manly.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Citizen Tayne posted:

A truck owner just squished a cyclist here on a newly reopened section of road because he didn't feel like following the speed limit, which was carefully chosen to allow bikes and cars to coexist.

lol, you think car owners always follow the speed limit and are never aggressive towards cyclists?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CubanMissile posted:

I don't know where you guys live that truck owners are running people off the road and rolling over other cars like Bigfoot, but around here people stay in their lanes and drive them just like normal cars.

Both here in southern Oregon and in my original home of upstate New York, truck drivers are by far the worst drivers on the road. Back in New York, German luxury car drivers were also really terrible, but I only almost got hit by three of them, compared with trucks where it was a monthly occurrence that I had to avoid one doing something brain-meltingly stupid.

And again, there are studies showing that truck drivers are more reckless, so you don't need to just rely on anecdotes from these forums.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't own a car because I use public transport. I'm what's right with this world.
Same, no need to own a car in NYC unless you live in Staten Island or the far reaches of an outer borough. You can drive what you want, but SUVs and pick-up trucks are stupid if they're used as a normal way to get around. Get a regular car if you're alone or a minivan if you have a family to drive around.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Cubey posted:

Both here in southern Oregon and in my original home of upstate New York, truck drivers are by far the worst drivers on the road. Back in New York, German luxury car drivers were also really terrible, but I only almost got hit by three of them, compared with trucks where it was a monthly occurrence that I had to avoid one doing something brain-meltingly stupid.

And again, there are studies showing that truck drivers are more reckless, so you don't need to just rely on anecdotes from these forums.

Maybe the problem is you live by rednecks?

Apr 7, 2003

CubanMissile posted:

lol, you think car owners always follow the speed limit and are never aggressive towards cyclists?

Truck drivers do it more often. Auto manufacturers are aware of the exact sort of person who drives their vehicles and they market accordingly.

Apr 7, 2003

Y-Hat posted:

Same, no need to own a car in NYC unless you live in Staten Island or the far reaches of an outer borough. You can drive what you want, but SUVs and pick-up trucks are stupid if they're used as a normal way to get around. Get a regular car if you're alone or a minivan if you have a family to drive around.

The new Ford Explorer is a pretty good minivan.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CubanMissile posted:

Maybe the problem is you live by rednecks?

The Capital Region isn't redneck country, so that was certainly not the issue there.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I wound up inheriting a big stupid truck which is normally the opposite of what I drive, but due to being otherwise carless at the time I drove it anyway. On the one hand I hated how badly it maneuvered, on the other hand I loved that cars were suddenly actually giving me space to drive instead of playing constant car chicken assuming I'd back off. On back roads sometimes cars would pull over when I drove up behind them and just let me pass... I assumed because they figured I was going to try and dick them off the road. This lead to me trying extra hard for a little while to be a super careful driver and leave tons of space for everyone and then eventually I gave up and embraced it all and became everything I hate on the road.

It was a pretty subtle shift at first too, going from "I don't understand how anyone could put up with this terrible gas economy driving like a loving yacht bullshit" to "Oh hey I guess it is nice that I can see everyone on the road for the next 5 miles because my seat is so high up" to "GET OUT OF THE WAY I WILL RUN YOUR rear end OVER." Truck ownership might also turn people into jerks.

Eventually the truck's engine blew up due to a long running manufacturing defect Ford refuses to acknowledge, so that's the end of my truck ownership and I no longer drive like a jerk.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I drove a big truck when I lived in Arizona and drove more carefully because I knew the thing could flip over and kill me. Now when I owned my twin turbo Dodge Stealth.....yeah, I probably killed some people. I wouldn't know though since it's hard to tell what's going on behind you when you're going 140mph.

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
Burger King: definitely not the king of burgers. Maybe the king of flies

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

trucks: the tapout of vehicles

is there a tapout branded truck? if not, there is money to be made

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I live in a fairly hellish part of the south and someone must have told all the men here they need to own trucks because everyone drives a full size pickup truck. I do not take umbrage at their choice, nor to I care to think about their genitalia. I drive a sensible Japanese sedan because I don't want or need a truck. hth.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Cubey posted:

At least here in Seattle, it seems all the rear end in a top hat drivers have German cars. Maybe the extra horsepower makes them think that they have to speedrun their commute or something. Pickup trucks aren't all that common though except for actual fleet vehicles.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Citizen Tayne posted:

Another relevant anecdote from my reaped taint.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I go on family trips with my SUV packed full, spend other weekends with the boy at the Atv park (what a stupid waste of money making my dick look bigger!) where I have to pull them on a large trailer, other times I'm using it to drive to work at 55 mph and 19 mpg. Not every amerkan lives in NYC or the beltway too. I don't have the space for two cars for myself since my kids and wife's are burning fossil fuels as well. And lol my kids poo poo car gets worse mileage. I'm not sure how SUVs and trucks even got in this thread as they aren't circling any drain.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They're the wrong thing to drive. Didn't you read the posts? It's the same reason wearing anything but Carhardt jump suits is wrong because they are near indestructible and functional thus eliminating all th clothes waste in the world.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

They're the wrong thing to drive. Didn't you read the posts? It's the same reason wearing anything but Carhardt jump suits is wrong because they are near indestructible and functional thus eliminating all th clothes waste in the world.

Also don't forget food pills. Please think of the children.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Solice Kirsk posted:

You're exactly right, it's the autistic goon reasoning. THE MOST LOGICAL CHOICE IS X, THEREFORE WHY WOULD ANYONE Y. beep hoop :spergin:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We need to derail the derail. Are any of Trumps current business ventures running into trouble?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

His presidential election isn't going too well.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

RandomPauI posted:

We need to derail the derail. Are any of Trumps current business ventures running into trouble?

Ny attorney general wants a talk about his FL campaign contribution.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

Also the Cavalier was a German design, thank Opel for that. It was miles better than what GM made domestically (the Citation).

Citizen Tayne posted:

People nowadays don't seem to understand how lovely cars once were. The Cavalier was a fantastic small car by the standard of it's contemporaries, and it was wildly successful.

I drove a Sunfire for ~5 years and besides regular maintenance, I think I put in maybe $200 worth of repairs.

They were nuts and bolts and plastic, ugly and utilitarian, but those things were tanks. I only replaced it because I live next to the Atlantic and the salt rusted it out.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Phone posting, here's something on his new hotel.

http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2016/09/donald-trumps-old-post-office-hotel-financial-flop

quote:

Yet it was Ivanka who was wrong. On weeknights this fall, the hotel's least expensive rooms will go for between $735 and $995 a night. On many days, the hotel is as expensive or more so than the Four Seasons. (Ivanka Trump had said that Trump Organization originally aimed to have lower rates than this high-end hotel.) And it's not at all clear whether Trump's hotel can command such steep rates in a market already crowded with luxury hotels—especially because Trump's hotel will lack some of the amenities initially promised.
Colicchio is just one of several chefs who declined to get involved with Trump's DC hotel. As a result, the hotel will open with no top-drawer destination restaurant. Instead, it will feature just one establishment: BLT Prime, a chain steakhouse that is not likely to be a major attraction for tourists or locals. The other planned restaurant space in the hotel has been turned into a conference room. At some point, a seasonal bar might open, Ivanka Trump said in a recent deposition in the Zakarian case, according to the Washingtonian. "I would imagine nuts and crackers," she said of its food offerings.
Trump has much riding on his new DC hotel, which he toured on Friday during an unannounced detour from the campaign trail, ahead of an appearance at the Values Voters Summit. He maintains sole ownership of many of his projects. But with this development, he gave his three eldest children—Donald Jr., Eric, and Ivanka—minority stakes in the business. Ivanka, in particular, is deeply involved with the project. If the hotel fails, that will likely reflect on his kids as much as Trump himself.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Professor Shark posted:

I drove a Sunfire for ~5 years and besides regular maintenance, I think I put in maybe $200 worth of repairs.

They were nuts and bolts and plastic, ugly and utilitarian, but those things were tanks. I only replaced it because I live next to the Atlantic and the salt rusted it out.

J bodies are not tanks, especially compared to the cars they primarily competed with. The Sunbird I learned to drive on blew its engine at 150,000 miles, among a very long list of other constant issues. My fuckin' 30-year-old RX7 gave me fewer problems than that Sunbird did.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I mean poo poo there are people who'll talk about how their ultradrive-equipped Cloud Cars never gave them issues, that doesn't mean they aren't the worst vehicles the American automotive industry ever shat out.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cubey posted:

J bodies are not tanks, especially compared to the cars they primarily competed with. The Sunbird I learned to drive on blew its engine at 150,000 miles, among a very long list of other constant issues. My fuckin' 30-year-old RX7 gave me fewer problems than that Sunbird did.

I got rid of my Sunfire (were they called Sunbirds at some point?) at 254 000 km and the mechanic who gave me the bad news about it being toast said that it was a shame because the engine was in fantastic shape, so I don't know dude. The thing sure could handle Canadian winters, and I had virtually no problems with it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Professor Shark posted:

I got rid of my Sunfire (were they called Sunbirds at some point?) at 254 000 km and the mechanic who gave me the bad news about it being toast said that it was a shame because the engine was in fantastic shape, so I don't know dude. The thing sure could handle Canadian winters, and I had virtually no problems with it.

You know how lemons exist? Sometimes it happens in reverse, where you get a really terrible car that against all odds, manages to actually last a long time. The Cavalier is considered to be one of the worst cars by a lot of people for very good reasons, and reliability is one of those reasons.

I never ever see any first or second gen J bodies on the road and haven't for well over a decade, and it's extremely rare to see a third gen J body as well. Meanwhile, 80's and 90's Accords, Civics, Camrys, and Corollas, these are all everywhere. Even though the Cavalier actually outsold every single one of these other models, they all individually outnumber J bodies today. There's a drat good reason that's the case.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

so how many failed businesses does trump have in comparison to successful ones.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Groovelord Neato posted:

According to this:

http://www.internationalbusinessguide.org/trump-business-career/

He's got a 42% success rate

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cubey posted:

When I went to Portland I wasn't able to get into a parking garage because a lifted truck with those roll coal pipes got stuck in the entryway because it was too high. The black security guard handling the situation did not seem too surprised by this occurrence.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's not bad. Trump shows us all that the only thing you need to succeed in less than 50% of your business ventures is starting with a giant fortune from your family and an intricate web of lies surrounding your business acumen.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Cubey posted:

You know how lemons exist? Sometimes it happens in reverse, where you get a really terrible car that against all odds, manages to actually last a long time. The Cavalier is considered to be one of the worst cars by a lot of people for very good reasons, and reliability is one of those reasons.

I never ever see any first or second gen J bodies on the road and haven't for well over a decade, and it's extremely rare to see a third gen J body as well. Meanwhile, 80's and 90's Accords, Civics, Camrys, and Corollas, these are all everywhere. Even though the Cavalier actually outsold every single one of these other models, they all individually outnumber J bodies today. There's a drat good reason that's the case.

Do you think the Cavalier is worse than the Chevette?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

monster on a stick posted:

Do you think the Cavalier is worse than the Chevette?

As I've never personally driven a Chevette, or even seen one in person ever, it'd be irresponsible for me to compare the two. I can say with certainty that the Cavalier is not as bad as the Tempo or the Cloud Cars, however, because I have driven both of those and they are shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Like wow how the gently caress was the Tempo so loving bad, jesus christ thst thing was like a Cavalier but with all the negatives multiplied by ten.

e: hah, in looking it up, the Tempo was apparently a huge success just like the Cavalier; I didn't actually know that and thought it must not have sold that great because, like Cavaliers of the same era, I never ever see these things on the road anymore and have not for a very, very long time. Goddamn American cars from the 80's and 90's are just so unbelievably bad.

DEEP STATE PLOT has a new favorite as of 00:10 on Sep 16, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i had a feeling the vast majority of the successes would be real estate.

High_Life
Sep 19, 2004

MIND GAMES...

Groovelord Neato posted:

Not talking about Trump. If the fails are small and the wins are big I'll take a 99% failure rate if they cost 100k and the win is.... Well... Something like 200x that.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

you dont own a car in nyc because your rent is 10 grand for a match box

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Y-Hat posted:

Why are you telling people what to drive? I'm starting a qcs thread about this strong arm shaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Cubey posted:

As I've never personally driven a Chevette, or even seen one in person ever, it'd be irresponsible for me to compare the two. I can say with certainty that the Cavalier is not as bad as the Tempo or the Cloud Cars, however, because I have driven both of those and they are shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Like wow how the gently caress was the Tempo so loving bad, jesus christ thst thing was like a Cavalier but with all the negatives multiplied by ten.

e: hah, in looking it up, the Tempo was apparently a huge success just like the Cavalier; I didn't actually know that and thought it must not have sold that great because, like Cavaliers of the same era, I never ever see these things on the road anymore and have not for a very, very long time. Goddamn American cars from the 80's and 90's are just so unbelievably bad.

The really amazing disappearing act was the GM X-cars. They sold hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of them in '80-83 or so, but by 1990, you never EVER saw one on the road. The wrecking yards would have row upon row of them, mostly untouched. The Tempo/Topaz were pretty much the same way. Mopar 'K' cars were even shittier, but the minivans hung around slightly- longer than other Pentastar products.

As lovely as '90's cars were, the '80's were so much worse.

Chevettes were worse than Cavaliers in some ways, better than others. Chevettes were really really tiny and virtually devoid of any options, so there was less to break. J-bodies tried to be 'real cars' and were terrible at it until the later 90's, where they improved to 'crappy'.