Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeah your right, this year was great, and there's no room for introspection at all. Thank you for showing me the way.

crawl out of your own rear end dude, you'll notice none of the chaingunned director posts baghdad bobbed and said nothing bad happened at all ever so pick your loving fights better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Wings_SWMud posted:

Yeah, I loved being in EG and getting that sort of thing delivered to me too. I can't, in the end, really feel anything but contempt for jumping ship to go chase that high, though - it just feels so completely selfish. You know, "ok, I've used up this host, better go toss this whole community, structure, thing, whatever I spent half a decade building up aside just like that". I dunno, maybe I'm weird for feeling invested enough not to do that; obviously a lot of people in EG didn't, considering the endless frothing rage about subhuman pubbies etc there was towards the end.

To put it succinctly, you joined for the content, but stayed for the people. (I'm much the same way; it's why I tend to hang out with the reavers crew despite having not actually deployed with them in a long time.)

But, honestly, there are tons of players out there who will join a group for the people, but stay for the content.

I've heard a lot of PL oldies refer derisively to the current state of PL as "j4ping" -- but honestly, it's not an awful thing for line members. It's bad for alliance leadership, though, because it means it's up to you to keep the ping creators happy and active. If a major FC decides to take a break from the game for a few months to play Overwatch, that can turn into a failcascade scenario as soon as the J4P-type players start looking for more content. Look at what happened to TISHU.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Who the gently caress changed the model to my beloved Griffin!?

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Orange Red Bull posted:

i would much rather read this stuff than elsa/daco/dunfunny random whitenoise bullshit any day

It's almost like after 500 pages of complete and utter trash- people are talking about EVE again...

Honestly I checked in because it's been 4 years since the Vile Rat cyno vigil (thanks for reminding me facebook) and I had to see what you nerds were getting up to.

ullerrm posted:

I've heard a lot of PL oldies refer derisively to the current state of PL as "j4ping" -- but honestly, it's not an awful thing for line members. It's bad for alliance leadership, though, because it means it's up to you to keep the ping creators happy and active. If a major FC decides to take a break from the game for a few months to play Overwatch, that can turn into a failcascade scenario as soon as the J4P-type players start looking for more content. Look at what happened to TISHU.

It's very much J4Ping, part because EVE is boring, part because PL2016 is full of the people that PL2012 couldn't stand. Limited interaction and what not.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Fix Lag posted:

poo poo went poorly after renaming it the Imperium, which I will take the time now to reiterate is a dumb gay name that needs replaced with something that's not so pubbie tryhard

God this so hard. You're normally full to the brim with bullshit, but this so hard. If we had to be renamed (we didn't) then Over Reaction Coalition should have been the name we went to.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

From a generic linemember #236 perspective i cant really muster any beef about the alliance, directorate or direction. Anything i ever wanted to do ingame there was a ton of resources, tools and things available.

Flying with EG was great and i was sad when i got flushed in a random Dominionix purge but what really killed the game for me was Phoebe and Fozziesov.

I spent years making my way through the universe shaking and baking and building up my net worth to aquire capital pilots and capitals, got a carrier and a dread and a super. I got to make like 2-3 drops, had 2-3 good fights with them then Phoebe hit and it was hyper accels and slowboating through gates.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

dont forget yourself

hey look its the oldhead who never contributes anything to any discussion ever but just pops in to poo poo on people

the very definition of white noise

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

tell us deadtear: what do you think of goonfleetwaffeswarm 2016?

and the state and direction of eve online: a spaceshipmans video game by ccp hf

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
it's a trap dt don't answer him

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Orange Red Bull posted:

the very definition of white noise

DSYP

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Who the gently caress changed the model to my beloved Griffin!?

It needed an update, don't understand why they updated the slasher and executioner though :psyduck:

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
wouldn't a ringworld just fall into the sun? i don't understand how spinning would stop one end from just drifting into it...

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

wouldn't a ringworld just fall into the sun? i don't understand how spinning would stop one end from just drifting into it...

I... umm... what? Trolling aside, why would shape have that sort of impact? Satellites aren't spheres either

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Sunber posted:

Satellites aren't spheres either

wait really

gently caress no wonder im so bad at kerbal

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

It would be equidistant from its central star at all points but something spinning at 3 million miles per hour cant remain gravitationally stable for long before an outside force like a meteor or comet acts upon it loving up the whole works.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Orange Red Bull posted:

It would be equidistant from its central star at all points but something spinning at 3 million miles per hour cant remain gravitationally stable for long before an outside force like a meteor or comet acts upon it loving up the whole works.

3 million miles an hour? What is this a ringworld pulsar? I thought it was 2-3 thousand mph.

Also did I miss a post somewhere what's the avatarwin post in reference to?

Edit: I haven't read Ringworld in decades but I think they had guys with thrusters to correct the spin and stuff (that may have been the Ringworld Engineers from one of the books).

2nd edit yes, pulsars go way faster than that.

Endie fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 15, 2016

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That would require a god damned poo poo ton of meteor impacts to offset something the mass of a ringworld. We get hit with meteors and comets and poo poo all the time.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CainFortea posted:

God this so hard. You're normally full to the brim with bullshit, but this so hard. If we had to be renamed (we didn't) then Over Reaction Coalition should have been the name we went to.

I like it.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Endie posted:

3 million miles an hour? What is this a ringworld pulsar? I thought it was 2-3 thousand mph.

Edit: I haven't read Ringworld in decades but I think they had guys with thrusters to correct the spin and stuff (that may have been the Ringworld Engineers from one of the books).

yeah you're right a niven ring would be 3 million times the surface area of earth and the rotation would be about 1200km/s

you didnt miss any post i think young globby is just being weird and changing the topic

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That would also assume the impacts were all on one side. But if they're scattered about the radius of the ring, then the overall energy would be distributed equally.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Glory of Arioch posted:

wait really

gently caress no wonder im so bad at kerbal

Kerbal is hard, I can't just hit approach and f1

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Endie posted:

Bussard ramjets on the wall edges scooping free hydrogen atoms, the major plot point of one of the books is one of the idiot sub civilizations cannibalized the vast majority of the ramjets to do them some space travel on the cheap and it threatened the ringworld.

CainFortea posted:

That would require a god damned poo poo ton of meteor impacts to offset something the mass of a ringworld. We get hit with meteors and comets and poo poo all the time.

Also this. Even with the unobtanium used in construction the ringworld masses a fuckton. The kind of meteor impact that would end civilization on earth probably wouldn't have an appreciable impact on the ringworld orbit.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 15, 2016

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
I just looked up the rate of spin of pulsars holy poo poo they're unimaginably fast. Something 20 miles across and with the mass of a star spinning at 716Hz :aaaa:

Edit in fact I'll go as far as :aaaaa:

Endie fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 15, 2016

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

CainFortea posted:

yeah but you only need to move it the smallest distance unit and it would start accelerating towards the sun since one part of the ring is closer than the other part of the ring... it really makes you think.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

yeah but you only need to move it the smallest distance unit and it would start accelerating towards the sun since one part of the ring is closer than the other part of the ring... it really makes you think.

That's where the ramjets kick in.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Somebody should crowdfund an author to write the past 10 pages in prose.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

dialhforhero posted:

i'll do it for $150,000

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

so in eve related news

stunt had been in FCON's space killing their ratters and demanding ransom, as is his predilection, but FCON was screaming especially loudly because of it and even told their guys not to rat at all last weekend

then he and dbrb dropped an asshouse in their space

FCON formed 350 guys, batphoned another 350, and dropped 40 dreads on it when it finished anchoring today

i don't think i've seen someone freak out that much in a long time

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

dialhforhero posted:

I honestly liked the last couple of pages, all in all. It was a refreshing break from the usual Elsa white noise reddit prose must blot out any and all discussion about things, and we avoided Talladars weekly "Oh dear racists on the internet" bullshit for a while, because yeah that's not the most tired gimmick ever.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Glory of Arioch posted:

so in eve related news

stunt had been in FCON's space killing their ratters and demanding ransom, as is his predilection, but FCON was screaming especially loudly because of it and even told their guys not to rat at all last weekend

then he and dbrb dropped an asshouse in their space

FCON formed 350 guys, batphoned another 350, and dropped 40 dreads on it when it finished anchoring today

i don't think i've seen someone freak out that much in a long time

If they had pulled that kind or participation when defending their old space...

EDIT: More importantly, did it survive?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Endie posted:

it's a trap dt don't answer him

no worries there

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I have no idea what book the people are talking about, but assuming that the ringworld is spinning then this is not true.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
why are you getting trolled by globby

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rhymenoserous posted:

If they had pulled that kind or participation when defending their old space...

EDIT: More importantly, did it survive?

https://zkillboard.com/kill/56109600/

653 Involved

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Aegis Sov working as intended.

Fozzie is a genius :ccp:

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

dialhforhero posted:

I will do this poo poo for free because it will be hilarious.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

why are you getting trolled by globby

Acting retarded as a troll isn't a troll if you're actually retarded.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Acting retarded as a troll isn't a troll if you're actually retarded.

Paging boat to the thread, paging boat to the thread.

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice
Since I am on a posting vacation from GSF forums :argh: I've taken to reddit (lol as if I'd left :h: reddit) and it turns out fcon are still bad at internet spaceships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
maybe dont tell people to gently caress off in the one forum that's frowned on

• Locked thread