Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ukle posted:

Might want to look at the leaks, only Wiggins is like that - and his does look questionable, given if he was that bad an asthma sufferer to need 3 types of steroid a day surely he wouldn't be an athlete. Its no wonder his medical passport was flagged as questionable a long time ago.

You need a TUE whether you're actively taking it or not - you need one if it might be in your system.

Salbutamol is, for UK people, the standard blue inhaler that people use in emergencies. Also known as Ventolin. It's fast acting, basically the one you carry on you all the time in case of emergencies. Regular use of Salbutamol is a sign that your asthma is badly controlled.

The other two (Budesonide/formoterol) are a combination marketed as Symbicort (ie, in the same inhaler) but because they're separate chemicals they need separate TUEs. That one is a maintenance inhaler (that is, one you take at least once a day). Maintenance inhalers, in my experience, tend to contain two active ingredients (such as Fluticasone propionate/salmeterol (Seretide) which I've had in the past, or beclometasone/formoterol (Fostair) which I'm currently taking).

I think you're also underestimating the effect the drugs can have; when I was on holiday once and my maintenance inhaler (the only one I had with me at the time) unexpectedly died I had trouble walking and talking at the same time by the end of the week, but with my asthma under control I'm a very good athlete.

Short version: having three TUEs as an asthma sufferer is perfectly normal (I have three TUEs for asthma drugs [edit] actually wait it's two now, one of the ones in Fostair isn't regulated)

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Does he even have asthma or rather top-level athlete "asthma"?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well some doctors seem to think so

I don't want to come across as defending them because :britain:, but until they actually get caught doing something I don't think many are going to care that they are doing something 95% of the peleton are doing

More importantly doing legally, and its kinda why no one gave a poo poo about the Yates suspension aside from a couple of dumbasses in this thread

I might be wrong, but I thought I remembered Froome stating publicly he'd used TUEs 2 times in the past which fits, so its not like he's even trying to hide them. No idea if Wiggins has ever said anything

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
If Wiggin's asthma is serious enough that he's been needing TUEs for oral steroids, he's an absolute loving idiot for continuing to smoke.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

kim jong-illin posted:

he's an absolute loving idiot for continuing to smoke.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kim jong-illin posted:

If Wiggin's asthma is serious enough that he's been needing TUEs for oral steroids, he's an absolute loving idiot for continuing to smoke.

A professional athlete that relies on cardio-respiratory performance who smokes is probably an idiot regardless of whether he suffers from asthma.

efb

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He has to smoke or his super-human, roid-assisted lungs would actively drain all the oxygen from his vicinity within seconds.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Trotty has asthma too apparently

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
All those muscle building drugs when you're a kid apparently does wonders for some people.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
The Rio Olympic road race course finally killed someone.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

"the B classification men's road race, for visually impaired athletes on a tandem bicycle"

This is cool and also terrifying

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

That's loving terrible. :(

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
It wasn't the same course, didn't have the descent that the women's road race crash happened on.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Smorgasbord posted:

It wasn't the same course, didn't have the descent that the women's road race crash happened on.

Pardon the click-baity link then. Still sucks though. :(

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Sagan just crushed the European Championship

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Wout broke his toe last night when he fell on the stairs at CrossVegas and still came back to crush everyone. Says he's still planning to race in Iowa.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Heads up: the last stage of the Eneco Tour is currently going on. It's really wet, everyone's crashing (Rohan Dennis just lost the virtual lead) and going at it like madmen. Also they're about to go over the Wall of Geraardsbergen four times in a row

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Looks miserable out there. I love it

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Whoa Eddie Boss won an race, nice

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
The best thing about Wiggins's TUE abuse is watching Dave Walsh slowly realise he pissed his reputation down the drain for nothing. Watching Kimmage rub it in is just the cherry on the top.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
He won't say anything, just keeps telling people to read the Sunday Times. Sunday Times-knowers please tell us what he said tia.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

kim jong-illin posted:

The best thing about Wiggins's TUE abuse is watching Dave Walsh slowly realise he pissed his reputation down the drain for nothing. Watching Kimmage rub it in is just the cherry on the top.

Please link to this, been moving house so missed all of the reporting.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pocket posted:

Please link to this, been moving house so missed all of the reporting.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/paul-kimmage-so-many-questions-not-asked-so-many-questions-remain-unanswered-35076219.html

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
France have selected both Bouhanni and Demare for the world championships, along with lead-out guys from both FDJ and Cofidis.

Are they planning to effectively run two entirely separate, competing teams?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bradley Wiggins: He sought TUE's to "put himself back on a level playing field".
Dave Brailsford: "It was not being used to enhance performance,"

If you need PEDs, TUE or no, to compete on a level playing field, they're quite literally enhancing your performance.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/37472728

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Thanks, I need to see if he's done any radio interviews about this? Should be a great laugh. The one about Saint Paula and the injunction was a good one.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

lmao

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I didn't get to hear it but Kimmage spoke on Today FM in Ireland this evening. Likely the clip is on their site by now

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Lachlan Morton to Dimension Data, Taylor Phinney to Cannondale.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Teejay to lead the new Project TJ Sport team naturally.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

wide stance posted:

Teejay to lead the new Project TJ Sport team naturally.

Is the logo a giant tear drop?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Carlton Kirby announcing Il Lombardia and noticing a Pantani banner:

"Pantani Lives except he doesn't, but there you are..."

Lol

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
It's all kicking off in this btw, lots of big names swinging at each other

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Into the final descent it's Uran, Chaves, Bardet and Aru Rosa 43s away.

It's raining too. :black101:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

The gap's just melting now even though the chasers don't work together at all

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

I don't think that gap is accurate.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Looks like the organizers noticed this too

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Aru looks absolutely thrilled to be running interference for Rosa, lol

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I don't think I've ever watched this before, good race.

Let's go 'berto Uran Uran

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

thats a very pretty camera shot on the descent