Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

NomChompsky posted:

Yeah recognizing that no relationship is perfect means I'm suuuuuuuuuuper hosed up

I didn't say you were hosed up. You did. See what I mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

NomChompsky posted:

Some are, some aren't. The people who are with them in spite of it though are likely not disgusted, they just don't care. And if the choice is don't care or actively like it who gives a poo poo.

seems like a bit of a goal post move. e: I mean we've landed on some percent of people (possibly tiny) actually like fatties and everyone else with a fatty at least tolerates it. No poo poo.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

LethalGeek posted:

They still bitch about it in the real world. Though the problem is they aren't making the connection with stuff like "man my back/feet always hurts" "can't sleep" *is 80lbs over weight, doesn't exercise, etc*

My dad has sleep apnea and two total knees. Still won't lose weight. Well since he had two knees he has somewhat of an excuse but lives within 1 block of a pool. Sad. We've talked many times.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Germstore posted:

seems like a bit of a goal post move. e: I mean we've landed on some percent of people (possibly tiny) actually like fatties and everyone else with a fatty at least tolerates it. No poo poo.

It's not crazy to assume that they're not disgusted because people do not generally be with people who disgust them. There has to be some level of attraction.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
#GBSHatesBaldPeople

The_end
May 17, 2014
When I was a paramedic we had a frequent flier that was about 800lbs. She had a full sized refrigerator next to her bed and her grandchildren fed her cookies like an animal at the petting zoo.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

The_end posted:

When I was a paramedic we had a frequent flier that was about 800lbs. She had a full sized refrigerator next to her bed and her grandchildren fed her cookies like an animal at the petting zoo.

My brother is a firefighter and says they have "special" equipment to move them. Lol just part of accepting their lifestyle. And costs we have to subsidize

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Nobody has answered a few questions I've been asking about obesity.

How are obese people treated in cultures where obesity is rare, like Japan or France?

Do you believe wealth or academic success are also easily fixable like people talk about how easy it is to lose weight? Should we have the same contempt for the poor or under educated as you do for fat people? I mean "lol just work more if you're poor amirite? :smug:"

The_end
May 17, 2014

Darth123123 posted:

My brother is a firefighter and says they have "special" equipment to move them. Lol just part of accepting their lifestyle. And costs we have to subsidize

Once we were rolling a meat mountain onto a tarp to get him out of his house. One of the fire fighters slipped backwards causing his foot to go under the patient as we lifted. His foot went into a giant pile of poo poo the guy was laying in. It ruined his shoes.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
should fat people even be allowed to get health insurance? Tehy should be in their own risk pool. Yes Obama you're welcome - i just saved your rear end, and the entire healthcare system

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Panfilo posted:

How are obese people treated in cultures where obesity is rare, like Japan or France?

Do you believe wealth or academic success are also easily fixable like people talk about how easy it is to lose weight? Should we have the same contempt for the poor or under educated as you do for fat people? I mean "lol just work more if you're poor amirite? :smug:"

You should just post better.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Panfilo posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/mar/19/japan

The japanese tell those people to get their poo poo together :lol:

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I still love that people haven't put together the fact that since obese people die earlier their lifetime health expenses turn out to be on average with normally sized people who live longer.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

NomChompsky posted:

I still love that people haven't put together the fact that since obese people die earlier their lifetime health expenses turn out to be on average with normally sized people who live longer.

lol checkmate

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

NomChompsky posted:

Sounds like you're justifying being a fat piece of poo poo because you die faster.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Nah just pointing out the economic argument doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

NomChompsky posted:

We don't let our olds die like we should. As in we don't let them choose to die without a ton of hoops

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I wish to die very old when my heart explodes doing a pull up.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

LethalGeek posted:

Wait a penalty for anything over a 33 inch waist? :wow:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
If you look at maps of counties in the US that indicate median income and maps that indicate obesity rates you find that they overlap almost perfectly.

If you want people to put down the fork give them a living wage, reasonable work hours, socialized health care and upward mobility.

The_end
May 17, 2014

reallivedinosaur posted:

fatty fatty two by four cant fit through the kitchen door

We had to cut the exterior wall out of a house once to remove a fat person trapped in the back room.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

LethalGeek posted:

Everyone in japan offs themselves too, probably a coincidence

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Panfilo posted:

If you look at maps of counties in the US that indicate median income and maps that indicate obesity rates you find that they overlap almost perfectly.

If you want people to put down the fork give them a living wage, reasonable work hours, socialized health care and upward mobility.

Fat hate is just a coverup for a longstanding hatred of minorities and poor people really

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Carmant posted:

Everyone in japan offs themselves too, probably a coincidence

They don't actually. You're still fat though.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Carmant posted:

Fat hate is just a coverup for a longstanding hatred of minorities and poor people really

where does minority come in? are you poor? is that why you're fat?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Does typing burn calories? Yeah, but not that much.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Germstore posted:

where does minority come in? are you poor? is that why you're fat?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

well are you poor?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Panfilo posted:

I know when I'm sitting at home and can choose to eat ranch dressing covered pizza and an entire bag of doritos before washing it down with gamer fuel my first thought is "If only my socioeconomic situation were better I wouldn't be forced to eat this food which is more expensive than healthy food"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I know when I'm sitting at home and can choose to eat ranch dressing covered pizza and an entire bag of doritos before washing it down with gamer fuel my first thought is "If only my socioeconomic situation were better I wouldn't be forced to eat this food which is more expensive than healthy food"

You wouldn't be in that position in the first place. People with access to fresh produce and time to cook decent meals are going to eat healthier then people with a 7 eleven they rely on for groceries and two part time jobs they have to juggle.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Panfilo posted:

You wouldn't be in that position in the first place. People with access to fresh produce and time to cook decent meals are going to eat healthier then people with a 7 eleven they rely on for groceries and two part time jobs they have to juggle.

i like how somehow society has flipped to the poorest of us somehow being the fattest

also healthy food is incredibly cheap and anyone that says they don't have an hour to cook a night is a liar.

People are magically turning into giant fat people because they don't make enough money annually. I'd believe more it's just lack of education, expressed mostly in your viewpoint of crying about society, paychecks, wages, geopolitical borders and whatever else that distracts from "Put down the loving fork"

just put it the gently caress down. Blaming society is worse than blaming depression.

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 15, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fat Shat Sings posted:

i like how somehow society has flipped to the poorest of us somehow being the fattest

also healthy food is incredibly cheap and anyone that says they don't have an hour to cook a night is a liar.

If this thread turns into goons sharing their best rice and beans slow cooker recipes I hope we all die

Hey everybody, look at this tumblr full of crazy poo poo

http://thisisthinprivilege.org/

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
i keep reading this thread title as "Fat Shaming Is Wong"

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

If this thread turns into goons sharing their best rice and beans slow cooker recipes I hope we all die

I got a delightful chicken soup recipe.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Fat Shat Sings posted:

People are magically turning into giant fat people because they don't make enough money annually. I'd believe more it's just lack of education, expressed mostly in your viewpoint of crying about society, paychecks, wages, geopolitical borders and whatever else that distracts from "Put down the loving fork"

just put it the gently caress down. Blaming society is worse than blaming depression.

Then how do you explain the correlation between poverty and obesity in the US? It's real cute that you sidestep the issue because it points out things many people have little control over.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Fat shaming is fine. Chill out.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Guy Goodbody posted:

nah that is even worse when people show up ":smug: Just eat rice and pinto beans to solve food being expensive"

However this is a slightly different argument. Fat defenders are saying fats don't have the time to buy or prepare healthy food, so as the main guy making the argument put "They shop at 7-11." Where they are buying poo poo that costs like 100% markup and is all processed garbage. Which most times is probably going to go hand in hand with "Eating whatever you want in whatever quantity" and "Drinking soda" while crying about the socioeconomic situation in America that somehow means they are just unable to be anything but fat.

Panfilo posted:

Then how do you explain the correlation between poverty and obesity in the US? It's real cute that you sidestep the issue because it points out things many people have little control over.

correlation isn't causation. There's a connection between the two but who is to say what exactly it is? (Not You.)

If it was literally "People are poor" the answer wouldn't be "So they buy the most expensive food and eat it in vast quantities"

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

goon shaming is way more productive imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
There's also a strong relationship between obesity and the hours of sleep a person gets. Not coincidentally, poorer people get less sleep on average, particularly minorities.

• Locked thread