Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Who cleans ambulances when they get blood all over them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
We do. We were obviously exposed to it, so it makes sense to limit the number of additional people that are.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ambulances should have tipper backs and a pressure-washer-fed deluge button. Park near a drain, Open the doors, tip and gush.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
So uh do you really need not one but two signs reminding you not to smoke in a loving ambulance? Then again, I guess smoking used to be allowed in hospitals, so what do I know.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's more for the crusty medics to remind them.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Budget circular polarizer filter came in the mail today.

I work for PMT Ambulance, but a few years ago, Rural/Metro bought PMT and Southwest Ambulance, and merged them. Rural/Metro kept the branding and employee base separate, though.

Recently, AMR Ambulance bought Rural/Metro, and rebranded Southwest to AMR, but again kept the PMT employees separate by calling them "Lifeline" ambulance. But we haven't gotten uniforms or any poo poo even a year later, so I'm a PMT employee with a PMT shirt/uniform (half of which also say "A Rural/Metro Company" as a subtitle embroidered underneath the "PMT" logo), but I have a Lifeline-branded ambulance.

Some cities still have contracts with "PMT Ambulance" for EMS/911 ambulances, so we keep those branded as PMT until the contracts expire. Some other cities have plain straight "Rural/Metro" contracts, too.

There are five names for the same company! PMT, SWA, Rural/Metro, AMR, and Lifeline. When we do a four-crew lift-assist for a bariatric (>350 lb, up to 980 is my largest), it looks like a clusterfuck of logos.

Since retired to Interfacility (IF), this ambulance used to be the dedicated Air Ambo Ground Transport unit. Only did maternity/neonate calls. They have a unit called an isolette, that's basically a neonate incubator that supplies medical air and oxygen, and is also a vent and heater for newborns. How newborn? Well, once I was filling in on this shift, and we were two hours late to a call. By the time we arrived, the baby was 90 minutes old (we were supposed to be there before delivery, mom popped early).

Also, way more common than blood in an ambo is poop. So much poop. Even old incontinent guys generally use a urinal. It's the poop nobody is prepared for.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 16, 2016

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Like, why do they poop so much? And someone weighed nearly a thousand pounds?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
We have a truck like those three white ones under the flags, but it's a foot bigger in every dimension,, and the rear bumper drops and a ramp slides out. It also has a winch and a smooth floor, because above 750 or so we don't use a gurney anymore -- just a firefighter's tarp and a poo poo-ton of people.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I cannot wrap my brain around a person that size. I'm a big fat motherfucker and that's still like four of me combined. That's approaching the "yeah, we had to remove the bay window in the living room to get 'em out" size, right?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Those ambulances are so nice compared to what my place was using in the old days. Bet the poop hoses right out! :kiddo:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Thankfully, nearly all of the MEGA-evolution bari variants ("bariants"?) are cognizant of their size, and live in a place with French doors or similar.

Though I've told the story before, I'll give a recap again because I love it: we took a Spanish-speaking only bariatric patient, IIRC 650+, back home after a hospital stay. Nice house, large extended family present, etc, but no English all around.

We brought the gurney with him on it, up to his bedroom entrance, which was an archway. The gurney was maybe 8 inches too wide to get into the room. We pulled him back to make a plan, but within minutes his family or friends had brought out tools from somewhere, and (very professionally) knocked/cut out a foot of the doorway to make room for him. They even vacuumed up the dust.

So, less than ten minutes after arrival, we had him in bed.

E: dt:

We conned AMR into giving us (a bls crew) one of the newer, <150k mile, high-top vanbulances. Most of those boxes are over 500k, and the bumblebee box and the white/green Critical Care boxes have 1mil+. They're total shitshows inside. They get $2400 vinyl wraps yearly instead of, say, new suspensions or seats :mad: That "kidzulance" (google it for the full view) in picture 3 is a 1991 E350, and has the original seats :argh:

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 16, 2016

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Geirskogul posted:

That "kidzulance" (google it for the full view) in picture 3 is a 1991 E350, and has the original seats :argh:

So it's like sitting on a saggy bbq grill?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

In the photo in front of the Banner Psych center, I like how the ambulance manages to take up two handicap spots. :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The curb cut is between the two, and their ambulance entrance is closed for construction.

Also yeah :v::respek::v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Magnus Praeda posted:

I cannot wrap my brain around a person that size. I'm a big fat motherfucker and that's still like four of me combined. That's approaching the "yeah, we had to remove the bay window in the living room to get 'em out" size, right?

Hell, I was 360 at the doctor's office the other day and I can't imagine someone that big.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Uhh...who woke the CB650 from its thousand-year slumber?

A craigslist buyer!

Story: the CB650 has been in two "wrecks" (no impacts but it went down) in the past year or so. I've done repairs, and the insurance already paid us damages well above what the bike itself was worth. It was still running, but all four carbs needed another sync, a few of them leak badly if you leave the petcock on, and it's missing its stock airbox so I was running it on pods (a no-no on old Japanese 4-cylinders). The frame may or may not be straight, and the stock headlight bucket and triple tree were replaced with aftermarket and 3D printed stuff.

I listed it on craigslist awhile back, and got few bites, just mostly scams. I've been refreshing it every two weeks or so, and just yesterday I guy texted me. He said he used to own a Honda cafe racer/bobber shop, and while he's doing other things now (specifically, he said he's making 3-4x the money he was, solely by bartending), he's never done a CB650 so he wants one as a personal "retirement" project. He said he had this C3, and would I like to trade?

I know, a scooter for a motorcycle, but it's also 30 years newer (2009 vs 1979), has fuel injection, has been modded to tits and back, and will probably be easier to sell. Instead of trying to wring $1200 out of an old, wrecked motorcycle, I'm going to try to wring $800-1100 out of a newer icebox-on-wheels. And seriously, icebox on wheels. It's got nine gallons of storage under that seat.

He also gave me, gratis, a Weber 32/36 DGV-5A carburetor (that's missing some linkage)

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 19, 2016

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Geirskogul posted:

We do. We were obviously exposed to it, so it makes sense to limit the number of additional people that are.

That makes sense, thanks!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hmmm...someone's been in here before

Already listed on Craigslist, but it's an interesting set of mods.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

not the best supermarket brand Dr Pepper, but pretty okay.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Filled the bus's tires to get them up to the modified recommended pressure for the tire load (38 rear 32 front), drove home, all was good. Woke up to the front passenger tire completely flat, and immediately assumed the crazy neighbor slashed my tires again.

Discovered that there were no slash marks, but since the tire had been sitting under the wheel flat overnight, I pumped it up to 15 PSI and left it for a day. It held, so I pumped it up to 30 PSI and left it another day, and it still seemed good. Drove to work, held pressure, and I just drove home. Just in case, I put a jack stand under that side in case it deflates, so it doesn't sit on the tire/rim. If it holds, I'll call it a dirty valve core and call it a day. Just...weird. Nothing in the valve stem or cap to indicate a prank.

Still working up on funds to get a new engine. 2.0 liter with hydraulic valves. Engine is 2050, but shipping is prob another 400 and the core is 600. Debating sending the core back or keeping it to save on shipping and selling it locally. I don't know how much people would pay for a wheezy (but still technically running, and definitely rebuildable) 1.7l longblock. With gasket set and other shenanigans like a new clutch, I'm banking on around $3500 total.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Tire is still holding air. We'll see, I still don't trust it. Tires aren't something you should have to think about daily - they're like a "once every six months" thing, and having them slashed once this year, then waking up again a few months later to a flat tire, makes me paranoid.

Random pictures. Buddy got me a student edition of Lightroom, and I am bad at editing.

(middle of cleaning - vacuumed right after)

(ugh, anything above ISO 1600, and really 800, is terrible. I need to get a tripod, any recommendations for a small good portable one?)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
cats are good

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

what even ARE you posted:

(ugh, anything above ISO 1600, and really 800, is terrible. I need to get a tripod, any recommendations for a small good portable one?)

Dorkroom knows. But I take all their advice with a grain of salt. They know their stuff and I trust them more than I don't, but they also tend to recommend things based on unlimited money.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Bus has been running like poo poo recently, stumbling off of the line and only having power at the top end. Today I took the timing light out to check if the advance has slipped or whatnot. Turned out the vacuum hose from the carb to the distributor had melted from gasoline/oil contact. It was a field-expedient fix awhile back using an old stethoscope tube, so I guess it served me well.

As penance for lack of pictures of the repair, more cattes.

Beetle

Lego

Extremist Isis

Isis is around 7-8 years old, but smaller than Beetle. Perma-kitten.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
We meet again.

The previous owner had welded in a veritable gently caress-ton of patches on the floor, but didn't seal them at all. Step one was climbing underneath the bus

and using a wire brush to take off as much rust from the bottoms of the panels as I could.

After that, I sealed and coated each patch panel with some black silicone. I don't have 3M patch sealer, so :shrug: whatever

After using up nearly a full tube of black silicone, I cut off the rusted hose clamps for the heater system, and pulled the hoses.

One shakedown later and I have:

1972 Dime
1975 nickel
melted Matchbox Porsche 911
hair clip
crayon
spring
bolt/washer
a fairly large superball.

However, a heater system that is stuck on 100% "defrost" isn't useful. The heating/cooling levers on the dashboard haven't done anything except open the fresh air vent since I got the bus. I had to pull a bowden cable and re-solder on the end, but now it works! I can adjust between defrost, and floor heater. Since I've cleaned out the junk from the hose, the rear heater even works now.

Since I had the dashboard apart, I decided to replace the volt meter with a switch for the windshield washer fluid. The stock bus system uses a super-soakeresque pressurized container that holds the fluid. The fluid goes up a tube that is woven into the wire harness to the steering column, and is merely pinched shut with a blunt plastic spade. Pulling the windshield washer lever back un-pinches the tube, and wiper fluid flows to the sprayers.

As you can tell, the stock setup sucks. You have to inflate the container regularly, seals for the system fail all of the time, and the tubing leaks right into the most critical components. Superior German Engineering.

I put a cheap ebay washer fluid pump on the stock bottle, drilled out a small vent hole, and put the switch in. The voltmeter was something I had hacked in last year to cover up a bit of cracked dash, but I did it terribly. Since I now have a voltmeter in the rear, the switch is more useful.

For the first time in I don't know how many years, the bus has working windscreen washer sprayers.

E: also, while working, I heard a vehicle make the corner by my house, and something hit the road. I went out to see what it was, and I saw a scrapper truck driving down the road, piled high with garbage. In the road was a Ridgid shop vac. I pulled the vacuum out of the street, and put it on the corner. It's been about ten hours, and nobody came back to pick it up, so I've pulled it into my backyard.

I left a note taped to the decorative wall on the corner, with an anonymous sharkmail email for info if they want to recover it. Since it's a scrapper truck, though, I don't give a poo poo, and they probably don't either.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 4, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Cool Matchbox Porsche! When I was a kid I found a toy car in the floor vent of my parents' house that must have been left by the previous owner.

I wish I remembered what kind of car it was now.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I will never be able to afford a split, so :circlefap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHZWum8MEM8

Volkswear, a guy out of Idaho that rescues buses all over the country. Some truly amazing excavations on his channel. I'd straight-up trade both my vehicles for just a rolling, not-crashed splittie shell.

In my bus related news, I've started designing a cover for the rear floor heater vent.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

beetle big

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, he went from palm-sized to bigger than our permakitten pretty fast. Good thing he has a good demeanor or he would absolutely destroy the other cats.

Also, mega-ultra-posting, but I couldn't go to sleep with that vent still open, especially right after cleaning it out. So, I ran outside with some calipers, then I did a thing in SolidWorks:

Then got it ready for printing

The hole:

The cover:

Boom, fits first try!

It's shorter than the flooring

Glued down:

Took maybe 2 hours to print. I had it going while I cooked dinner. Total plastic usage: .06 lbs, or about 3% of a roll of filament. The filament I used (WYZ ABS) is $17/kg. That's $.51 in plastic for the print. Electricity averages $.09/kWh, and the printer pulls 300W at full tilt heating, and 110W after it's heated up and printing. Let's just say, worst-case, it cost another $.11 to print, in electricity.

Less than a dollar!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Honestly, any ~$20 Craigslist tripod will be fine to start with. It'd be nice to get one with a detachable mount. But it's babby's first tripod, right? The timer will be your friend with a cheaper (light) tripod.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I use a $18 'Amazon Basics' tripod for taking all the pictures of my model ship stuff. For basic beginner photo stuff I really don't see a need for anything fancier. I'm not doing astrophotography with a giant heavy lens or anything, and it works perfectly fine for me. I do take all my pictures with very slow shutter speeds to get good depth of field, so I use the 2 second timer feature on my camera so that I don't have to be in contact with the camera or tripod when it's shooting. Could probably use a remote, but the one I have is kind of flaky so I just use the time delay instead.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Got it specced, 2997 shipped for a rebuilt 2.0l with hydraulic lifters and new heads. Part of that is a $600 core, but I'll sell the longblock lovally myself and save on return shipping.

I think I'm going to go for it :getin:

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 5, 2016

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Hey, whats making your toolpaths / gcode there? Looks pretty fun.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Simplify3D. It's $150, but it's the best goddamned slicer I have ever used.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

beep-beep car is go posted:

Dorkroom knows. But I take all their advice with a grain of salt. They know their stuff and I trust them more than I don't, but they also tend to recommend things based on unlimited money.

I learned a long time ago that there are two ways you can undertake serious photography: you can slowly upgrade your kit, and remain in perpetual poverty forever, or just go ahead and sell that spare kidney, get the good kit off the bat, and maybe not go bankrupt. Maybe.

Fortunately I realized about the same time that I'm a perfectly functional high school sports news photographer and will never be anything more, so I could stop collecting kit. And if anyone laughed at my monopod made out of a 1" broomstick with a piece of allthread epoxied in the end and spraypainted black, then I had a nice long stick to hit them with as well.

(That being said, you have a 3D printer, so find an old theodolite tripod and print yourself an adapter. You really can't find a better tripod as cheaply.)

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

The NERV sticker is perfect.

Must. Avoid. Looking. On. eBay. For. NERV. Swag.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Old NERV logo better than new NERV logo.

Today, I did it. I spent $3150 on a new engine, $109 on a new clutch disc, and I'm about to pull the trigger on a $350 stainless exhaust.

Merry Christmas to me.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

I hear both good and bad things about AVP, the people Bus Depot use to build their engines. AVP doesn't offer the "2.0L upgrade" stuff - I have a feeling Bus Depot has a special ordering system with them to account for that.

I want the exhaust to come in, because I've got terrible leaks with the current heaterboxes. The flanges are bent so far outwards due to people reefing on the three bolts over the years that they're cupped badly, and I have terrible leaks that no gasket or sealant will fix.

I wish I could have afforded the "equal length header" version, though!

Those are $650, though, versus the $385 for the standard ones.

I don't need the heaterboxes anymore, due to using a diesel heater.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Added a center third brake light. During the day when I don't have the lights on, whatever. But at night, especially with how bright LED running lights are, I think the third brake light is huge for safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Also more random images taken the other day. Just records for myself

Also, messing with zoom and distance. Much better images further away, but zoomed in.

• Locked thread