Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

al-azad posted:

One of these days I want to translate a big scene in the Japanese FF8 and see if it was a localization issue or if the game is just a mess of disparate ideas. I'm leaning to the latter because a good script can't save a shaky plot.

I loved the setting and nobody else really attempted it until 15 years later Trails of Cold Steel was the "child soldiers in military school" RPG I always wanted.

It's actually a super duper common plot in JRPGs we just didn't get like 95% of them because child soldiers are a hard sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Phantasium posted:

That's a blessing in disguise, because original DQ7 flies right in the face of my pacing argument, clocking in about an hour and half before you get into the first drat fight.

I had that game and I remember how it felt like your crew was going on a Grand Adventure like in Grandia.

al-azad posted:

The secret to enjoying RPGs again is to play them in bed. I don't have the patience to play a big long game on the big TV anymore and yet I'll lay on the couch for literally 12 hours playing one.

I don't know the psychology behind it but maybe it explains how throwaway phone apps work. I can't sit down to play a video game for 60 minutes straight anymore but I will play one for 10 minutes, cook dinner, 30 minutes, take a dump, 60 minutes, bathe, 30 minutes, lay in bed, 30 minutes, sleep.

e: Pretty excited for Dragon Quest 7 tomorrow, the game I had zero time for on Playstation.

Also really excited for the NX if it means every game can be played remotely.

e2: On average people spend 90 minutes in the bathroom a week. With a portable in hand you're beating an average RPG every 4-6 months. That's value, people!

Well with DQ 7 coming out, maybe it's time to revisit it.....

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I really really wish Square's CarPG Racing Lagoon would get translated. Also yeah some of the ChoroQ games are extremely rad

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
We need a new Zero4Champ.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Phantasium posted:

That's a blessing in disguise, because original DQ7 flies right in the face of my pacing argument, clocking in about an hour and half before you get into the first drat fight.

I just started playing the new version. It's definitely streamlined from the original, but it still takes a bit too long to get going. In all, I'm pretty pleased with it so far though. I thought it was just a port, I didn't realize it was a full 3D remake till I started playing it.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ambitious Spider posted:

nice. So are you splitting the signal to a tv, or just playing off of the computer?

Just playing directly on my computer for now to experiment with it. Maybe I haven't found the right kind of software, but I wouldn't recommend using it to play games directly on your PC. All the processing to convert from analog to digital video introduces lag, in my experience, so it's best to use it for passive capturing where you're not depending on some kind of quick input response. But playability could also depend on the game itself; slower games that don't demand quick reflexes could certainly be doable, and even Super Mario World and Sonic The Hedgehog aren't too bad, so long as you're playing in a more cautious manner.

My final goal is to get one of my PVMs in the mix and use its input pass-through feature, so I can display and play games on it (no latency or input lag, being a CRT) while sending the signal to the capture device.

Pass-throughs are cool as poo poo, by the way, as I've posted in the past:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Theoretically, you could make a nintendo av cable that had simultaneous composite, svideo, and rgb output, couldn't you? They're always outputting, right?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

al-azad posted:

RPGs are the best and the game industry has widely recognized this by injecting mechanics native to the genre into other games.

RPGs saved Castlevania. They produced the only good 3D Mega Man. And the Mario RPGs are basically responsible for the iconic personalities of all those characters. Mario is a brave goof, Luigi a second banana, Bowser is a sad sack, Peach is kind of over it, Toad would burn down the world if he could.

You'll note the operative phrase "turn-based", a phrase signifying a mechanic that all the examples you cited either opted to ignore entirely or heavily, HEAVILY retool in the process of integrating RPG mechanics into other genres of games.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

RZA Encryption posted:

Theoretically, you could make a nintendo av cable that had simultaneous composite, svideo, and rgb output, couldn't you? They're always outputting, right?

Supposedly there are some combination composite/s-video cables that truly output both simultaneously. But those cables are a crapshoot since most of them just split the composite signal and run the composite signal over S-Video instead of using the S-Video signaling.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

You'll note the operative phrase "turn-based", a phrase signifying a mechanic that all the examples you cited either opted to ignore entirely or heavily, HEAVILY retool in the process of integrating RPG mechanics into other genres of games.

Those integrate the character building aspect which is separate from the action resolution. Like Captain Rufus said, real time RPGs are almost always bad. Give me speed-stat turn based any day over ATB that adds absolutely nothing to the mechanisms.

Dungeons & Dragons didn't need an hourglass between turns and Wizardry/Ultima are the genetic ancestors to basically half of all video games.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm pretty sure all the signals go out at once, since otherwise Nintendo would have needed to do something like send a signal back to the video encoder about which pins for which input are active or whatever and have it switch modes. Which sounds more complicated and expensive than just blasting all the signals through the port and leaving it up to the cable to pick up the ones it needs.

Of course, a cable like what you suggest would only have limited applicability, since the first model SNES is the only one that does composite/S-Video/RGB by default. The Mini would need to be modded, the N64 doesn't readily do RGB, and an NTSC Gamecube is also RGB-deprived unless you hack up one of the pricey component cables for it.

And of course, the physical shape of the cable itself would be an issue, since you'd be jamming a ton of connectors onto it in the first place, and the RGB portion would also require some resistors or transistors (depending on if you're hooking it up to a PAL or NTSC machine). So yeah, it's theoretically possible, but probably not worth doing.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

al-azad posted:

Those integrate the character building aspect which is separate from the action resolution. Like Captain Rufus said, real time RPGs are almost always bad. Give me speed-stat turn based any day over ATB that adds absolutely nothing to the mechanisms.

Dungeons & Dragons didn't need an hourglass between turns and Wizardry/Ultima are the genetic ancestors to basically half of all video games.

I had read the critique as being more one against the I-go-then-you-go turn based fights of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, et al rather than the kinda-sorta strategy fights of Ultima and others (or later, Fallout and other games with positioning and whatnot). And while I still enjoy games with the back-and-forth combat, it can be exceedingly simple and repetitive.

HMC
May 18, 2009

al-azad posted:

The secret to enjoying RPGs again is to play them in bed. I don't have the patience to play a big long game on the big TV anymore and yet I'll lay on the couch for literally 12 hours playing one.

I can attest to this. I've false-started Final Fantasy III/VI like three times in the past but I just recently bought an 8bitdo SNES-style controller and a bluetooth SNES adapter and have just been playing an hour or two in bed before going to sleep, and I will vouch that it is exquisite.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I had read the critique as being more one against the I-go-then-you-go turn based fights of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, et al rather than the kinda-sorta strategy fights of Ultima and others (or later, Fallout and other games with positioning and whatnot). And while I still enjoy games with the back-and-forth combat, it can be exceedingly simple and repetitive.

It can be, sure. But usually it isn't? Like Dragon Quest requires you to use every available resource, there is no "mash attack to win." The Shin Megami Tensei games as well since they evolved from the dungeon crawling crowd.

Unless we're talking about Final Fantasy 1 or sure, Earthbound, that's a fair argument. But real time RPGs are arguably shallower and use their flashiness to trick you into thinking you're doing something. Like Secret of Mana is shallow as fuuuck but boy what a spectacle it is. Even Chrono Trigger's systems are baby's first RPG compared to Lufia 2 but how beautiful and unique is Chrono Trigger, huh?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

One man's "shallow" is another man's "free of spergy bullshit"

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah I don't want to have to keep a spreadsheet or journal.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Allen Wren posted:

I never heard of Final Lap Twin until this exact moment and now I've never wanted anything more in my life.

The TG even has a Tennis RPG. World Court Tennis. You play Tennis rounds as combat. And there is a Tennis King. Because that is his name. There is some really odd poo poo on the Turbo. Sadly this platform has now become Neo Geo 2.0 in game pricing because Bougies ruin everything. On the upside my Godzilla game is worth like 400 bucks which could be used to buy many better games or even finally get a goddamned Vectrex. I've only been wanting one since 1983 or so. Playing on one at Retro World Expo 2015 didn't help any because now I want it more.

Someone needs to like make a Vectrex Truxton for Classic Game Room.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah I don't want to have to keep a spreadsheet or journal.

You don't have to and the people that do don't tend to understand that difficulty curves of a lot of JRPGs are based on you not mastering or caring about mastery of them and tend to call all of them easy.

Why yes if I steal all four items from every boss monster in FFIX I can have superpowered equipment and an overpowered attack in a game that is easy enough that you can just stall for time in boss battles to steal 50 times.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

One man's "shallow" is another man's "free of spergy bullshit"

My argument for brawlers over fighting games lol.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Captain Rufus posted:

Sadly this platform has now become Neo Geo 2.0 in game pricing because Bougies ruin everything

if I had a dollar every time you brought up PCE/TG16 pricing I'd be able to afford all the good games. flash carts and cd burners exist

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
lol "bougies"

also, I loathe the character design in FFIX. they all look like they have encephalitis.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Caitlin posted:

also, I loathe the character design in FFIX. they all look like they have encephalitis.

I will take that any day over post-PSX FF character design

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

What's good TG16 emulation-wise since I currently don't have the cash to get into another system?

please do not turn this into some sort of dick-waving emulation is bad postfest

because I know some of you are already thinking it, I can smell it from here

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Allen Wren posted:

What's good TG16 emulation-wise since I currently don't have the cash to get into another system?

Mednafen. You can either get Mednafen itself, Retroarch, or Bizhawk. They all include it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Allen Wren posted:

I use either MAME or Bizhawk for it.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Allen Wren posted:

I use MedGUI. Just switch it over to advanced mode to make it not look like Microsoft Bob. Mednafen is the only free emulator I know of that doesn't horribly glitch out during Popful Mail's intro cinematic.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

No, emulation is great. It's clone consoles that are bad.

I use MagicEngine. Only downside is they intentionally designed it not to read CDs off your hard drive but that's what virtual cd drives are for.

e: Also it's not free but I didn't mind donating to them at all for how user friendly the emulator is.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 15, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Did anyone actually make PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16 clone consoles? That'd be an interesting thing to collect.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

apropos of nothing, I'm now wondering when the virtual reality revolution that I can't engage with because my glasses are too huge and thick is going to produce the next microsoft bob

IT'S YOUR INTERACTIVE HOME OFFICE LIFE SYSTEM!

e:

al-azad posted:

that's what virtual cd drives are for

actually, what's good in this department? Since I moved to Windows 10, daemon tools stopped being compatible (and the new versions of dt are useless horseshit anyway)

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

Did anyone actually make PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16 clone consoles? That'd be an interesting thing to collect.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=44773
http://ultimateconsoledatabase.com/others/pc_boy.htm
http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/jamiko-pc-ii-is-it-a-clone.33379/
http://nfggames.com/games/pceclones/

But I suspect they're kind of uncommon and not easy to find.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

al-azad posted:

No, emulation is great. It's clone consoles that are bad.

I use MagicEngine. Only downside is they intentionally designed it not to read CDs off your hard drive but that's what virtual cd drives are for.

e: Also it's not free but I didn't mind donating to them at all for how user friendly the emulator is.

That thing is still around and they're still accepting money for it?

And being intentionally designed not to read disc images is kind of the opposite of user friendly, and it's loving goofy that people who accept money for a god damned emulator are, out of the other sides of their mouths, probably hobbling its usefulness as some goofy anti-piracy posture.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Allen Wren posted:

actually, what's good in this department? Since I moved to Windows 10, daemon tools stopped being compatible (and the new versions of dt are useless horseshit anyway)

I've been using PowerISO for modern machines. It not only is really good at handling the virtual drives, but is pretty good at creating images from the real discs in multiple formats. It does cost $30, but since I use it so much I consider it worth it.

Whoa I love that UFO design.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Is MagicEngine the one that had a ten minute timer?

My first time playing through Dracula X was on an emulator with a ten minute timer and also save states, which made the timer pointless. Annoying sure, but pointless.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

As I recall, SSF doesn't directly support disc images, either, but it's Japanese so I just assumed it's how their emulation scene works.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Is MagicEngine the one that had a ten minute timer?

My first time playing through Dracula X was on an emulator with a ten minute timer and also save states, which made the timer pointless. Annoying sure, but pointless.

Five minutes, and it's probably it.

Pastry of the Year posted:

That thing is still around and they're still accepting money for it?

And being intentionally designed not to read disc images is kind of the opposite of user friendly, and it's loving goofy that people who accept money for a god damned emulator are, out of the other sides of their mouths, probably hobbling its usefulness as some goofy anti-piracy posture.

Yeah, I recommend the emulator but... I don't recommend paying for it, you know? They did the CD thing because they didn't want people playing pirated games which is a lol excuse.

It is a good emulator with great features and UI. But if a timer-less copy found its way onto your computer I won't tell if you won't.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

al-azad posted:

Five minutes, and it's probably it.

Yeah, I recommend the emulator but... I don't recommend paying for it, you know? They did the CD thing because they didn't want people playing pirated games which is a lol excuse.

It is a good emulator with great features and UI. But if a timer-less copy found its way onto your computer I won't tell if you won't.

I don't disagree with this post. :ssh:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I paid for Magic Engine years ago and I'm OK with it.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Caitlin posted:

lol "bougies"

Listen I am cool with idiots spending triple digits on old Videogames and other dorky nonsense. Because I can both mock and exploit dipshits with more money than sense. (Or more likely debt up to their goddamned eyeballs. Aprs are one goddamn Bitchass motherfucker.)

Like Turbo CD Godzilla isn't worth 400+ bucks. It's barely a game worth 20 dollars IMO. poo poo, Panzer Dragoon Saga is a good drat game but it was barely worth the 50 msrp I paid for it. It's maybe a 25 hour long game tops.

I just don't understand the appeal of spending fucktons of money just to have THING when there are equal if not superior things for much cheaper up to and including FREE when it comes to Videogames. (Legal free nonetheless. Even more so if you laugh in the face of copyright law.). Outside of people showing off what's the point? I can only speak for myself but I just want to play and enjoy more fun and interesting games. It would be rad to like, have a complete us SMS collection but I'm not paying 80-120 bucks for a complete in box ALF. Or 2-3 times that for Buster Douglas Boxing. Especially in the latter case when the renamed UK version cost me like 15 shipped from the UK and I beat the drat thing in less than an hour the first time I played it.

But poo poo, some of y'all that do love to drop fat stacks chime in. Help me understand why you do what you do. Illuminate me. I still probably won't agree but I would love to at least understand.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

All my turbo stuff is from my childhood. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
I buy old video games as investments, maintaining a portfolio heavily titled toward reliable PC Engine shooters and Super NES RPG gains, though I'm looking to diversify with riskier Neo Geo Pocket Color rarities should SNK nostalgia maintain its upward trend.

Seriously, it would not surprise me if some collectors were snatching up pricey games in the hopes that they'll get even pricier. Several years ago a story circulated about some nut trying to buy every copy of Magical Chase. If said nut had spent $300 on each Magical Chase, those games would be worth, what, six times as much today?

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 16, 2016

• Locked thread