Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Panfilo posted:

I wish there was a more involved training mode designed around the specific character you picked, so you could develop skills with less familiar characters in a 'singleplayer' setting.

Like if McCree's training mode was a carnival shooting gallery that required you to ping the heads of targets that went by, and the targets themselves were moving erratically and at different distances to help your reaction time and aim.

Lucio's might be a scenario where you have 5 bots attacking and moving to various points where you have to decide which aura to be using at the time.

This would be awesome.

The Ana training mode is ok but I have problems doing it for long because her darts cause a visual effect and when you have 6 of them rapid firing it gets to a point that I can't even see them sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
nothing tilts me faster than missing a few shots at a roadhog as a mccree

it just affirms how unrefined i still am

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What I enjoyed about starcraft 2 was the challenge mode which built relevant skills for multi-player regarding micromanaging your units. Overwatch could do the same and like you suggested expand the story of the characters.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm doing comp on PS4 if anyone wants aboard @ adamsolo3000

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ragequit posted:

What was the name? Had one last night that raged because someone was playing Bastion and threw the match by shooting orbs near spawn. We somehow lost 2 to 3 with each team having 99% at the end of the final round. Pretty frustrating knowing we likely would have won if he actually tried.

Ran in to them a second time and they stuck with Sym.

Honesty prob the same dude lol. He was plat too. Guess he was just set on playing his main. I didn't check his sym time but assumed it was a lot. He played her the whole time on both the attack and defense. We would have likely won if he just picked someone else. He didn't even have to counter pick

I get a tele on an attack might be a surprise gimmick you try once then switch after you use it but gently caress

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Honesty prob the same dude lol. He was plat too. Guess he was just set on playing his main. I didn't check his sym time but assumed it was a lot. He played her the whole time on both the attack and defense. We would have likely won if he just picked someone else. He didn't even have to counter pick

I get a tele on an attack might be a surprise gimmick you try once then switch after you use it but gently caress
And really, it'll be a "surprise" as long as it takes for the other team to press tab once. Because what else is an attack Sym going to do?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Panfilo posted:

What I enjoyed about starcraft 2 was the challenge mode which built relevant skills for multi-player regarding micromanaging your units. Overwatch could do the same and like you suggested expand the story of the characters.

Another favela child is charging at Vishkar HQ! Quick, stop him!

edit: Or it'll be control points as you systematically eminent domain the poors all around the world.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
The Roadhog campaign will teach you how to hook moving targets by making you hook ice creams out of the hands of children.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Slime posted:

The Roadhog campaign will teach you how to hook moving targets by making you hook ice creams out of the hands of children.

YES!

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Pudge should be a cannibal, like Pudge.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I asked a mercy today if she was a heal slut and she said "xD" and then pocket healed me all game and would 1-man rez if I died that is my overwatch story today

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Slime posted:

Welcome to the apocalypse

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kashuno posted:

I asked a mercy today if she was a heal slut and she said "xD" and then pocket healed me all game and would 1-man rez if I died that is my overwatch story today

Probably not the sort of thing I would tell anyone but okay.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Kashuno posted:

Uninstall

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe there should be gangtag so we know which posters are healsluts

you know like as a joke obviously haha

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Please just find someone to step on your balls IRL like a normal person.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

setafd posted:

I'm doing comp on PS4 if anyone wants aboard @ adamsolo3000

Add RC_COLA_IN_A_CAN

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

First season: win 5, lose 5, placement rank: 54 (apparently the equivalent of 2700)
Second season: win 8, lose 1, draw 1, skill rating 2671

you'd think I'd place higher for season two but :iiam:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

First season: win 5, lose 5, placement rank: 54 (apparently the equivalent of 2700)
Second season: win 8, lose 1, draw 1, skill rating 2671

you'd think I'd place higher for season two but :iiam:

someone said that it felt like a lot of ranks got shifted down for season 2, but it could just be bitching that they didn't do as well the second time in placements

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I wonder why they made the competitive rewards shittier.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 16, 2016

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
My healslut character is torbjorn because I satisfy no one and people actively try to leave the room when I enter.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I think it was here that someone was talking about how shadowplay doesn't record in true 60fps and that you should use some program to export to 60fps before editing. Anybody know what I'm talking about? I think it was from earlier today

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

I believe that HandBrake is the program

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
PS4 buddies what sensitivity do you have your stixxx on, I tend to put it pretty high but I wonder if that's why I have trouble tracking with Zarya? If anyone want to add me my name is caesarsaladin. It's a pun. I'm 2400 or so

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I think it was here that someone was talking about how shadowplay doesn't record in true 60fps and that you should use some program to export to 60fps before editing. Anybody know what I'm talking about? I think it was from earlier today

Yeah, Shadowplay records at a variable framerate for some stupid reason so audio and video desync very easily if you ever drop below 60/30FPS depending on what you're shooting for.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

people ask about sensitivity a lot and the answer is always the same: if you feel the need to change it at all, down is almost always better than up

tracking gets harder the higher your sensitivity

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
How long is it before the loss streak mechanic wears off? After reaching my season high, the game seems determined to make me lose by getting 2 DC and a 4 dps team, so I guess I'm done playing today.

Streaks are an incredibly poorly thought out mechanic in that they basically reward good luck and punish bad luck (assuming matchmaking even creates balanced 50/50 match pools). I'd like to play some more OW, but if I happen to get a team that has connection issues/trolls/won't communicate I will get an ever increasing amount of penalty.

I understand that the idea behind streaks is to accelerate the move to your appropriate rank, but the reality is that they are a play-limiting mechanic. I cannot really see the advantage of that. I'd suggest instead of the current winning/losing streak mechanic they simply offer a bonus in exp or credits for a winning streak and get rid of losing streaks entirely.

What this would do is foster the "just one more game" attitude without having an effect on your ranking that is largely independent of skill.

Right now, the guy that goes W/L/W/L/W/L is going to be a lower rank than the guy that goes L/W/W/W/L/L. That is not a very good system.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Manatee Cannon posted:

people ask about sensitivity a lot and the answer is always the same: if you feel the need to change it at all, down is almost always better than up

tracking gets harder the higher your sensitivity

Is that true for console as well tho? Like I definitely feel more accurate with lower sens but whipping around to bubble a buddy is hard when you turn like molasses

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it is absolutely true on console as well

trying to bubble people while you flail around like a drunkard doesn't work either. if you really have to change the sensitivity, turn it a little down. turning it up just hurts your accuracy and that's about it. you're gonna turn slow on a controller no matter what you do and so will everyone else, so don't think about it too hard. it's not really a problem

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Verranicus posted:

Right now, the guy that goes W/L/W/L/W/L is going to be a lower rank than the guy that goes L/W/W/W/L/L. That is not a very good system.

You're not wrong, but this system gets moderately strong players out of the pools where the majority of bads play really quickly, which is why Blizzard does it.

Although -- in Hearthstone it stops applying above a certain threshold. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case here as well.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Darth Windu posted:

PS4 buddies what sensitivity do you have your stixxx on, I tend to put it pretty high but I wonder if that's why I have trouble tracking with Zarya? If anyone want to add me my name is caesarsaladin. It's a pun. I'm 2400 or so

I think I do 30 horizontal, 20 vertical

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
NERF REINHARDT NOW!

Especially compared to other tanks, he has a nigh indestructible shield that can be re-aimed at a moments noticed (unlike winstons much weaker stationary shield) he can block all incoming projectiles indefinitely (unlike D.Va's 2 seconds and shorter range.) he can shut down an entire enemy team with his ultimate (unlike roadhogs 1 person per hook if he's lucky) and he has a lot of health in addition to having this OP kit (unlike Zarya's measly 400 hp)

Blizz already knows he's overwhelmingly picked as a tank hero, so they need to either nerf him (make his shield recharge slower, longer until it recharges, absorbs less damage (like 1000 instead of 2000)
or buff all the other tanks. he's too good.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

im so reinhard right now reading all that salt

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I can honestly say that I have never once thought 'Reinhardt needs a nerf' even though he is in probably 70% of my games. He's only as good as the rest of his team allows him to be.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
He is p strong right now. Probably could nerf his shield and or something about his damage reduction when nano boosted.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

reinhardt is like the last thing in the entire game that needs changing

they might nerf ana's nanoboost in some way, but rein isn't changing because lol c'mon

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's convenient that I don't have to bother going to Reddit or Battlenet to read calls for idiotic and unnecessary nerfs.

e; it's also the least surprising thing in the world that the guy who mains Torbjorn is the one who has a problem with Reinhardt.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 16, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Nerf Reinhardt guys! You know, the one dude whose job is to hold a shield up for 90% of the match and Firestrike the other 10%.

*stands still, out in the open and repeatedly shoots rounds into the giant shield before dying to the enemy team.*

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean if Reinhardt really is this unstoppable omni-tank that can block everything in the game indefinitely and solo-kill the entire enemy team by himself then it seems like the best grounds for making your case would be to slampick Rein in comp and cruise your way to an easy Grandmaster rank, then you actually have something to point to and go "see, I told you so," but for some strange reason I suspect that won't actually happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
Reinhardt is pretty easy to take down. McCree spam, Tracer flanks, Pharah rockets from above, or simply focusing the shield can bring him down. Focus fire can destroy the shield in a matter of ten seconds. Happens to me all the time against six stacks that communicate. His ultimate is something you need to have a game sense for, if he isn't making it utterly obvious that he's trying to line it up to begin with, which is usually the case. Stay spread out, especially as support. A good Lucio(arguably a staple for any good team comp right now) should rarely be in his line of fire, especially considering his 30m heal range. You could be the difference between helping to heal your downed teammates through a Reinhardt ultimate and participating in a game of "Examine the Floor Closely Before Being Beaten To Death" with them. Sound Barrier is a great tool for keeping people healthy through the assault as well.

Really, the only issue I've had with Reinhardt is dealing with the Nanoboosted Fuckhammer of Justice. Even then, crowd control and focus fire can help take him out.

e:Any Reinhardt that thinks he can brazenly waltz into your team, swinging his giant dong around, should be swiftly and readily punished by your team. Liberal usage of "THIS loving REINHARDT" is not an effective counter against him, although that does seem to be my favorite thing to say when I get hammered into oblivion because everyone let him.

PsychicToaster fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 16, 2016