Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Guinness posted:

My only beef with the LED stuff is that nearly all the cars have LED running lights as well which have to turn off any time the turn signal is activated, which makes it look like your fancy 60k car has burned out bulbs constantly.

Also LEDs look horrible if anyone ever takes video of your car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Soarer posted:

This is truly terrible car stuff

12mm sockets should be sold in packs of 50s with how they tend to just vanish.

How about a "Common Japanese Vehicle" 10, 12, 14, 17, 19

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Add an 8 mil ring spanner for bleeding brakes and there's basically no job you couldn't do on a 1980-2005 Mazda with that set.

Edit: one more, a 21mm socket for wheel nuts and crank pulley bolts.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

It must be because I own a Ford and a Chrysler (Jeep), but I can't remember the last time I used a 12mm.

10mm, 13mm all over the friggin' place. Not 12, though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

Speaking of HID's I went on a trip with my aunt in her A6 a few years ago, I guess something was loose and the headlights would shake a bit over bumps and stuff. I did not really feel like trying to take apart the headlights to try and figure it out.

Probably coolant got in there or something

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

LEDs are positively blinding. Something about them needing huge lumen numbers for any kind of usable throw distance. I don't know how it works, but gently caress Acura.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Krakkles posted:

It must be because I own a Ford and a Chrysler (Jeep), but I can't remember the last time I used a 12mm.

10mm, 13mm all over the friggin' place. Not 12, though.

The 10s and 12s in my toolbox are a disorganised mess, but every 13 is as clean as the driven snow.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Memento posted:

The 10s and 12s in my toolbox are a disorganised mess, but every 13 is as clean as the driven snow.
I wonder if there's a clear reference somewhere for [x] car / brand uses [y] sizes. I know when I was putting my Jeep together, I spent about a year working on it, and spent a fair amount of time making sure I had a tool appropriate for every bolt on the thing.

The Mustang I know only because I keep breaking poo poo, so it's slightly less precise, but I still can't think of a single 12mm on it. What car(s) do you have that don't have 13s?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
My boss, who until recently owned a pristine unmodified '98 turbo Supra, wanted a cheap daily driver and fell into a relatives' 2000 V6 Mustang, which he promptly had painted blurple and put HIDZZZ on.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

I have like ten 12mm sockets and even more wrenches but gently caress if I can ever find a goddamn 10 when I need one.

I painted all of my 10, 12 and 14mm sockets bright colors so I don't lose them and can easily pick them out of the set. Matching colors on the wrenches.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

And regarding stupid lights, today on campus I saw a kid driving a 90s Nissan with green marker lights inside the headlamp housings. Pretty sure that's 100% illegal.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Krakkles posted:

What car(s) do you have that don't have 13s?

Japanese cars, and almost exclusively Mazdas. Small stuff like valve covers are 10mm, things like water pump bolts are 12mm, brake caliper bolts or head bolts are 14/17 depending on model, suspension is 17/19, crank pulley and lug nuts/bolts are 21. Seat rails are 14, seat belts are 14, etc etc. I have seen the occasional 10mm brake bleeder screw on things like import RX-7s, but the vast majority are 8mm. Those 7 sizes (8/10/12/14/17/19/21) in various depth sockets and box/ring spanners will let you disassemble the entire Mazda catalogue until about the mid-2000s.

Edit: ^^if you're running a colour other than white or yellow facing forward then chances are excellent you're breaking the law.

Memento fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 15, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, my Honda motorcycles can be pretty much entirely taken to the ground with 10, 12, 14, and 17mm sockets, and 4, 5, 6 and 8mm hex wrenches.

e: ah except for the rear wheel on the Hawk, which uses a single-sided swingarm and so is fastened with a 35mm locknut. I use a 1-3/8" socket, which turns out to be off by less than 1%.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 15, 2016

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
For terrible mechanical stuff, my motorcycle has a 13/64ths 12 point bolt for the brake calipers.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Fuckin' commie metric crap. :v: I think all my vehicles can be taken 90% apart with a 9/16", 1/2", 5/8" for the big stuff.
Oh yeah, except for the bolts that hold the radiator into my truck; those are 12mm for some stupid godforsaken reason.

At small sample size, seems like American companies that have lost their way and started using metric fasteners use 10, 13, 15, 17mm whereas foreign stuff seems to use 12 and 14 a lot more often.

The terrible car stuff is where you have a fastener with a standard thread but a metric head (or potentially the other way around). I got some nuts from the hardware store for a 5/16" thread (to hold my aircleaner on) and didn't notice 'til I got home that they fit a 12mm wrench, not 1/2". What.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

davebo posted:

My boss, who until recently owned a pristine unmodified '98 turbo Supra, wanted a cheap daily driver and fell into a relatives' 2000 V6 Mustang, which he promptly had painted blurple and put HIDZZZ on.
At least he didn't ruin anything of value. :v:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Raluek posted:

Fuckin' commie metric crap. :v: I think all my vehicles can be taken 90% apart with a 9/16", 1/2", 5/8" for the big stuff.

:patriot:

That's how I felt when I was tearing down the Nova. I could grab those three sockets for just about any job I was doing and be fine.

Of course, now that I've thrown a bunch of modern GM parts on it and will continue to do so, I'll have a wonderful mix of metric and SAE and I'll probably have to run to the socket set at least twice for every job. :suicide:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Sappo569 posted:

And next will be laser lighting systems, as showcased by BMW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WvK5WC4ns0

I think it's amazing that even when BMW does the presentation, BMW drivers are assholes. (at 2:00)

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
New car took a good scratch from somewhere the other day.

This is how I feel about it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had a co-worker get his car shot up by a bb gun about a month after he bought it. Prior to that he had been driving the same car for 10 years with no issue. Brand new ride? Enjoy a handful of dings that broke the paint! :downs:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Mercury Ballistic posted:

My brand new WRX got scratched like that in the passenger quarter panel about a week ago. gently caress idiots.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Mine is also a 16 wrx. :(:respek::(

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Raluek posted:

The terrible car stuff is where you have a fastener with a standard thread but a metric head (or potentially the other way around). I got some nuts from the hardware store for a 5/16" thread (to hold my aircleaner on) and didn't notice 'til I got home that they fit a 12mm wrench, not 1/2". What.
12 mm and 1/2 in are less than 1/32" apart.

In my garage I call that "interchangeable".:colbert:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Haha I was rear ended a month into my WRX ownership. I'm part of the reason your insurance is so god drat expensive.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

um excuse me posted:

Haha I was rear ended a month into my WRX ownership. I'm part of the reason your insurance is so god drat expensive.
I'd be curious to see the actuarial justification for how a WRX is more likely to be rear-ended. I guess maybe if you have a tendency to tailgate and brake at the last minute? I'd think that would still be on the other driver behind you.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

quote:

The 30.5 m or 100 ft long limo with 26 wheels has many features including a swimming pool with diving board and a king-sized water bed.It is specially designed to drive as a rigid vehicle or it can be changed to bend in the middle.Even it has two driver’s compartments one at each end to help while reversing.

The Longest limo has a large jacuzzi tub and has a sun deck.The interior includes a king sized bed.There is helipad on its back which allows easily the landing of helicopter.There is also a satellite dish on its top.

Helipad? Pool? Water bed? :hellyeah:

Why is it terrible?

Because it's been left to rot. :sigh:

Sagebrush posted:

And regarding stupid lights, today on campus I saw a kid driving a 90s Nissan with green marker lights inside the headlamp housings. Pretty sure that's 100% illegal.

Depends on the state.

In TX, green isn't really regulated - you sometimes see it on ambulances and fire trucks, but you also see it on security vehicles and tow trucks. If you put blue lights on, or red on the front, you're gonna have a bad time.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 15, 2016

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

angryrobots posted:

19mm and 3/4" interchange superiority. 50 microns out baby!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

angryrobots posted:

All I know is that a 1/2" wrench barely catches the tips of the nut, and will start to slip if I put any real force on it, whereas a 12mm wrench feels "correct" and will actually tighten down the fastener.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

some texas redneck posted:

Why is it terrible?

Depends on the state.

In TX, green isn't really regulated - you sometimes see it on ambulances and fire trucks, but you also see it on security vehicles and tow trucks. If you put blue lights on, or red on the front, you're gonna have a bad time.

Anything but red(aside from the rear) and blue is fine in TX. Underglow is technically illegal, but there's a Dallas Stars(not team owned) truck rolling around that's lit up in green and yellow on the top, front, and in the exterior door panels.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Raluek posted:

All I know is that a 1/2" wrench barely catches the tips of the nut, and will start to slip if I put any real force on it, whereas a 12mm wrench feels "correct" and will actually tighten down the fastener.
You're not wrong, his claim of interchangeable is. 12.7mm is 1/2". A 13mm wrench will generally work fine on a 1/2" nut/bolt. A 1/2" wrench may work on a 13mm nut/bolt, sometimes.

A 1/2" wrench should not ever work fine on a 12mm nut/bolt. But it's closer than a 13mm wrench!

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Why is it terrible?

It's terrible because it was made out of plywood and dreams: http://www.jayohrberg.com/American_Dream_100ft.html

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Krakkles posted:

You're not wrong, his claim of interchangeable is. 12.7mm is 1/2". A 13mm wrench will generally work fine on a 1/2" nut/bolt. A 1/2" wrench may work on a 13mm nut/bolt, sometimes.

A 1/2" wrench should not ever work fine on a 12mm nut/bolt. But it's closer than a 13mm wrench!

It was mostly a joke in the terrible car stuff thread, but if we're being literal here, the tolerances on non-pro sockets and wrenches are often awful, and I have observed all kinds of mixed up stuff fitting (and not fitting) that should (or shouldn't fit) in my assortment of crappy tools and crappy cars.

Carry on in the literally terrible thread.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Krakkles posted:

I'd be curious to see the actuarial justification for how a WRX is more likely to be rear-ended. I guess maybe if you have a tendency to tailgate and brake at the last minute? I'd think that would still be on the other driver behind you.

The way insurance stats work, at least in CT is that is doesn't matter who hit who when making rates. Only when people submit claims.

bend
Dec 31, 2012
I've got a cheap 1/2" spanner around somewhere that actually measures out as dead on 13mm, I just stamped a new label on it and threw it in the car kit after the first 13mm went missing.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I came out of the grocery store to one of those a couple months ago. The loving shopping cart was left up against my car. I know poo poo happens but you rail a cart against someone's car leaving at least a foot long scratch across the fender and don't even have the decency to take it away? It's like somebody just pushed it away and let it go and gently caress whatever it hit to stop it. I wasn't even parked next to one of those parking lot cart return things.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

davebo posted:

he promptly had painted blurple

Holy poo poo, an image search for 'blurple' is a goldmine of terrible car stuff.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Why is it terrible?

I'm surprised the "after" shot isn't in the same place as the "before." That thing must have had a turning radius similar to small ships.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:ssh: It breaks apart into 2 pieces.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lifted Truck? Check.
American Flag? Check
Not a sign of mud? Check
Tiny rear end tires for the lift? Check:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

um excuse me posted:

The way insurance stats work, at least in CT is that is doesn't matter who hit who when making rates. Only when people submit claims.
That's terrible. Is there some benefit to the legislation that lead to that?