Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Don Tacorleone posted:

Actually we're the best kind of people

Apple doesn’t give a poo poo about neckbeard hipsters who spent thousands of dollars on expensive audiophile gear that rely on 100-year-old technology to transmit audio signals.

yeah why rely on a proven standard when you can rely on several peripherals to achieve the same goal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

zen death robot posted:

I think the headphone jack thing is dumb as poo poo too but I'm not switching back to android over it because the exchange integration is shittier and I need that for work

loquacius posted:

Google won't fix this because they intentionally sabotage every interaction they can between their tech and MS's tech, but Outlook for Android is usable

Not as good as Outlook for WP was of course :rip:
Im honestly surprised to hear this as all I ever hear about is iPhones failing to sync at random and then you've had two patches for iOS that cause email attachments to get scrambled for no good reason when forwarded from an iPhone. Meanwhile I never hear a peep out of the Android people.

Edit: And iPhones will try your password EIGHT TIMES if it fails just to be sure, which locks up accounts real fast.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 15, 2016

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

LethalGeek posted:

Im honestly surprised to hear this as all I ever hear about is iPhones failing to sync at random and then you've had two patches for iOS that cause email attachments to get scrambled for no good reason when forwarded from an iPhone. Meanwhile I never hear a peep out of the Android people.

Microsoft actually has a vested interest in making sure Exchange works on Android, so they have a perfectly-fine solution in the Outlook for Android app. Which I guess doesn't meet the encryption requirements of some places of business (because again Google doesn't wanna play ball), but if your job isn't a douche it's fine.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

opus111 posted:

people who sneer at people for being poor aren't exactly worth knowing or caring about.

It's pretty funny because actual rich people are stingy as gently caress with money.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

zen death robot posted:

I think the headphone thing is dumb but it's not enough to make me buy an android because of the exchange bullshit I'd have to put up with
Fair enough.

Away all Goats posted:

It's pretty funny because actual rich people are stingy as gently caress with money.
As someone who knows a fairly affluent person personally: Yeah, they tend to consider every purchase surprisingly deeply, despite having very little reason to actually do so.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Yeah that's why I'm still salty about it, I think. Take game consoles, they're also a stable duopoly. But whenever a game console maker makes an unpopular choice and figures that its fans are loyal enough that they'll stick around anyway, everyone just buys the other console and a valuable lesson is learned (ex: the PS3, the Xbone). But that doesn't apply to Apple, because Apple's fans will put up with anything.

Apple could literally tell its fans they have to eat poo poo if they want a new iPhone, and they'd all be on the Internet the next day talking about how really poo poo doesn't taste that bad (have you tried it??? that's what I thought!!!), and it's not a big deal because you just swallow it in one go without chewing and then it's over and you have an awesome new iPhone, and everyone needs to stop being a drama queen about it already, etc etc etc

There's gotta be some kind of time limit on this though. Like imagine if they started just reaallly dropping the ball in a consequential and noticeable way and didn't stop for like a decade- would that erode their fanclub at all?

Also have they given a non-bullshit answer as to why they dropped the jack yet?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

There's gotta be some kind of time limit on this though. Like imagine if they started just reaallly dropping the ball in a consequential and noticeable way and didn't stop for like a decade- would that erode their fanclub at all?

Maybe, but honestly maybe not. People display a remarkable amount of doublethink when it comes to Apple. :shrug:

quote:

Also have they given a non-bullshit answer as to why they dropped the jack yet?

They don't need to, Apple apologists are already trying to minimize it everywhere it's being talked about without there even needing to be an actual upside for them to focus on

Apple hits them because it loves them

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

zen death robot posted:

I've never had a problem with it. I just know I hated touchdown and having to authenticate twice to read email or check my calendar

Touchdown is/was a piece of garbage, Android got native Exchange support in the default email program after..idk 4.1? Does all the security things without having to do it twice like you're describing. But that time period totally existed and totally sucked.

And modern Android does provide device encryption as forced by an Exchange account

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 15, 2016

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Maybe, but honestly maybe not. People display a remarkable amount of doublethink when it comes to Apple. :shrug:

It might be almost impossible for them to gently caress up in a bad enough way for people to care, I guess

loquacius posted:

They don't need to, Apple apologists are already trying to minimize it everywhere it's being talked about without there even needing to be an actual upside for them to focus on

Apple hits them because it loves them

So Apple like just straight pitched removing the jack as an innovation, right?

Preeeeetttty ballsy

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Their official response is they want the phone to do everything wirelessly, communicate with your PC wirelessly, listen to audio wirelessly, charge the batte- oops.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Mithaldu posted:

Fair enough.
As someone who knows a fairly affluent person personally: Yeah, they tend to consider every purchase surprisingly deeply, despite having very little reason to actually do so.

No one ever got rich by buying new electronic gadgets constantly

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

a bone to pick posted:

Their official response is they want the phone to do everything wirelessly, communicate with your PC wirelessly, listen to audio wirelessly, charge the batte- oops.

I mean they're so far up their own asses that I almost believe they did this because of ~Apple Design Philosophy~ or whatever and not for those sweet sweet licensing fees

also the last iPhone already did all those things

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
exchange works perfectly on my iphone with mail and calendar never had any issues in over 6 years of using it

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Monkey Fracas posted:

It might be almost impossible for them to gently caress up in a bad enough way for people to care, I guess

So Apple like just straight pitched removing the jack as an innovation, right?

Preeeeetttty ballsy

not even apple could spin up a reason why so they just said at their keynote that it took "courage"

also apparently the entire iphone 7 design process was a total clusterfuck and in all likelihood the jack will be back next year

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

notZaar posted:

Honestly when do you ever have the headphones on while you're charging? You don't listen to your music through the computer?

Yeah what kind of crazy and impossible situation would you have to find yourself in to want to use headphones AND charge your phone at the same time? Besides of course when you're using GPS in your car and headphones on a call because cars are noisy and you want to be able to use both hands to drive, and you need the phone on a charger because GPS + phone calls use more battery power than Hillary Clinton's metal vibrator that fell out of her big wet pussy onto the street.

Or literally any situation where you want to use that fancy screen while also having a conversation you want to hear better or don't want the rest of the world to hear.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 15, 2016

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
those sound like situations for poors

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

a bone to pick posted:

a retard posted:

not even apple could spin up a reason why so they just said at their keynote that it took "courage"

also apparently the entire iphone 7 design process was a total clusterfuck and in all likelihood the jack will be back next year

I thought there was a more indepth explanation that was given where they basically talked about how they were struggling to fit in the second camera in the layout so they started exploring drastic ideas. Someone tried out removing the headphone jack and realized it made all their problems go away. And as a bonus it made it easier sticking in that haptic home button thingy. So they then just decided to go with that and work on the justifications later

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

John Denver Hoxha posted:

those sound like situations for poors

Well obviously, a non-poor would just have their man servant bring one of the 20 backup iphones when the battery runs dry. Not that that would ever happen to a non-poor since something like using GPS personally, listening to recorded music or actually interacting with the internet would obviously be below their stature.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

WhyteRyce posted:

I thought there was a more indepth explanation that was given where they basically talked about how they were struggling to fit in the second camera in the layout so they started exploring drastic ideas. Someone tried out removing the headphone jack and realized it made all their problems go away. And as a bonus it made it easier sticking in that haptic home button thingy. So they then just decided to go with that and work on the justifications later

and they wouldn't have had to do that if they stopped trying to make their phones thinner after the 5. nobody's given a poo poo about how thin their phone is for years

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
music is a distraction for the poor. and lol at having a device hold your appointments. I mean, a device can hold the appointments but if you don't have a human updating you on your meetings for the day just lol just lol.

sincerely,
germstore

dictated but not read.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Germstore posted:

music is a distraction for the poor. and lol at having a device hold your appointments. I mean, a device can hold the appointments but if you don't have a human updating you on your meetings for the day just lol just lol.

sincerely,
germstore

dictated but not read.

Ah yes my good man I too spend my time between reading stock tickers and surveying my domain from my helicopter to makes posts on forums.somethingawful.com as dictated by my personal secretary, a unicorn with genetically engineered typing fingers and a brain to use them.

a retard posted:

and they wouldn't have had to do that if they stopped trying to make their phones thinner after the 5. nobody's given a poo poo about how thin their phone is for years

I've always wondered about this too. Who the gently caress is Apple making their phones thinner for? Why is thinness the number 1 priority? Who gives a poo poo? Yay my phone will now bend in my pocket or if it's out of my pocket and I look at it funny.

Then again, it's Apple fans we're talking about here. They'll squeal with glee about literally anything they're told they should be excited about.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 15, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Ah yes my good man I too spend my time between reading stock tickers and surveying my domain from my helicopter to makes posts on forums.somethingawful.com as dictated by my personal secretary, a unicorn with genetically engineered typing fingers and a brain to use them.

I read this post from my yacht. My personal assistant is on the shore with semaphore flags.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Germstore posted:

I read this post from my yacht. My personal assistant is on the shore with semaphore flags.

You mean you're reading this forums.somethingawful.com thread from just your regular yacht and not your space yacht?

How gauche.

SatansChoice
Sep 14, 2016

by Smythe
so did i tell anyone about the time i blasted the ceo of apple in online poker

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

WhyteRyce posted:

I haven't heard that explanation, I'm just going off of how Phil Schiller explained it at the iphone event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwMcXV0EjlY&t=689s

(Reviewtech guy can be annoying but this is the only video I found where he focuses on the Phil Schiller speech)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

a bone to pick posted:

I haven't heard that explanation, I'm just going off of how Phil Schiller explained it at the iphone event:

(Reviewtech guy can be annoying but this is the only video I found where he focuses on the Phil Schiller speech)

Looks exactly like the sort of person I imagine being angry at Apple about this jack off gate

Sent from my manservant

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

a bone to pick posted:

This is great because while I've been reading this thread all I've been thinking is "if only someone would read the posts aloud to me while playing Dead Rising" so thank you for making my dreams come true :)

WhyteRyce posted:

can someone tell me why they needed a second camera again, so much that it was deemed more important than the headphone jack

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
because courage.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah what kind of crazy and impossible situation would you have to find yourself in to want to use headphones AND charge your phone at the same time? Besides of course when you're using GPS in your car and headphones on a call because cars are noisy and you want to be able to use both hands to drive, and you need the phone on a charger because GPS + phone calls use more battery power than Hillary Clinton's metal vibrator that fell out of her big wet pussy onto the street.

Or literally any situation where you want to use that fancy screen while also having a conversation you want to hear better or don't want the rest of the world to hear.

Holy gently caress pull over you idiot. Don't use headphones while driving you moron.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

Alright, so all the reasons apple has given are literally only the following, with no further detail or justification:

1. We can put audio through USB
2. It gives us more space for other things
3. We want everything to be wireless

It's all about what Apple wants, and they don't even try to pretend it benefits the buyer in any way.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

More space for other things but they didn't add anything

Cruising Altitude
Sep 15, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Tiny Lowtax posted:

brain rehabilitation takes time heal up from ur accident etc

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Had to make space for all that courage

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I still cant believe how lovely the battery life of all these phones are. Most of them can't make it through a day.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

There's so much room for activities!

Cruising Altitude
Sep 15, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
various glamor shots of my face

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

they allegedly used the space to fit the new camera processor and taptic unit whatever the ufck that means

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
instead they should just thicken the phone so there is no camera hump and use all that extra surface area to add the audio jack back and make a thicker battery

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

thathonkey posted:

they allegedly used the space to fit the new camera processor and taptic unit whatever the ufck that means

Oh cool so the 7 should still have a headphone jack since it doesn't have the double camera whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

thathonkey posted:

instead they should just thicken the phone so there is no camera hump and use all that extra surface area to add the audio jack back and make a thicker battery
you're like the caveman resisting the invention of the wheel

you can't stop progress

• Locked thread