Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

cheerfullydrab posted:

People should live in nasty old rotting post-industrial cities in apartments above vape shops and dingy grocery stores, not in huge condo building mazes.

People should live in individual houses, each on a plot of lawn that's just large enough that they all add up to a huge wasteful suburban sprawl, but still just small enough that you still feel crowded by your neighbors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

cheerfullydrab posted:

I'm going to go ahead and say Building 61 is the best.

Complexes like this get a bad rep because they're usually full of the lower middle class. But gently caress it, I grew up in low rise apartments. They were cheap, they had amenities, and for kids they represented a community. I'm all for places like this in the suburbs if the alternative is single family homes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Powered Descent posted:

People should live in individual houses, each on a plot of lawn that's just large enough that they all add up to a huge wasteful suburban sprawl, but still just small enough that you still feel crowded by your neighbors.

I love the idea of an elite team of planners mapping out a subdivision of one and two story houses, each with it's own lawn and driveway, meticulously planning out every single detail of each house and its surrounding little plot of land, down to the very trees and shrubs, creating a place where everyone can see into everyone else's houses. Panopticon Meadows.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Oh dear me posted:

People pronounce a word in their own language either in the way they've heard others do, or in the way they guess from the spelling. Saying Copenhahgen for either reason is not insincere, and insincerity isn't a thing that can be transmitted through time by sharing a pronunciation.

Besides, foreign place names in any language frequently originate with people trying to use the native name, and getting it wrong. Almost nobody minds.
I am sorry you can't deal with the realness of my anti-colonial message.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Complexes like this get a bad rep because they're usually full of the lower middle class. But gently caress it, I grew up in low rise apartments. They were cheap, they had amenities, and for kids they represented a community. I'm all for places like this in the suburbs if the alternative is single family homes.
Yeah, I can't see a reason why that place should be particularly terribly. Relatively small scale, both in extent and the scale of the buildings and surrounding area should make for a pretty livable area.

The complete opposite of something like this:

Which ties in with this lovely quote:

Le Corbusier posted:

“not all citizens could become leaders. The technocratic elite, the industrialists, financiers, engineers, and artists would be located in the city centre, while the workers would be removed to the fringes of the city”

Of course those leaders sensibly decided that putting that poo poo in the center of Paris was a bad idea. I suppose his ideas sorta came to fruition in the end, when people combined the lovely architecture he thought would be awesome with his lovely views, and created high rise ghettos on the fringes of cities.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Baka-nin posted:

How about this politically contentious map?

Where's the Goonfleet?

steinrokkan posted:

What's awful / special about this?

It looks like a Center Parcs, which I suppose is awful in its own way.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 15, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

cheerfullydrab posted:

People should live in nasty old rotting post-industrial cities in apartments above vape shops and dingy grocery stores, not in huge condo building mazes.

Powered Descent posted:

People shouldn't live.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Where's the Goonfleet?
Down in the gutter.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Down in the gutter.

"Shadow of xXDEATHXx" :cripes:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

System Metternich posted:

"Shadow of xXDEATHXx" :cripes:
Serfs of my former alliance, Legion of xXDEATHXx, run by Ukrainian-born Russian mobster who goes by the name of UAxDEATH and is banned for life from entry to Russia. As you might imagine he is fat and bald 40 y/o dude, rich and ugly as sin. Notable alliance life moments include officers having a yearly party in Russia, and senior leadership flying to Iceland to hang out with UAxDEATH.

Oh and that one time our fleet commander stole some titans (expensive ships) on his way out of the alliance, and subsequently returned them after literal headhunter found his apartment in Moscow and hung him out of window for a bit.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

fishmech posted:

Ah, a goon who can't stand hearing normal people have fun. And the terrible noise of things staying in place in a storage facility. :allears:

Could you be more sheltered?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Down in the gutter.

I know EVE is apparently a spreadsheet simulator with MS-DOS era graphics, but every time I see one of those maps I can't help but think it's cool as hell for an online game to allow something like that.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

I know EVE is apparently a spreadsheet simulator with MS-DOS era graphics, but every time I see one of those maps I can't help but think it's cool as hell for an online game to allow something like that.
What EVE lets you play with itself is pretty mediocre, but what it lets you do with other people is pretty cool.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Test Alliance. Please Ignore" is a pretty good name. Why is the middle area not claimed?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
From what I remember the middle area is kind of a neutral ground, unclaimable and run by the game as like the organized territories. As opposed to the fringe, which any alliance can take over.

I've never played the thing, though, so I may be entirely wrong.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

ekuNNN posted:

"Test Alliance. Please Ignore" is a pretty good name. Why is the middle area not claimed?
That's Reddit. The middle area is NPC empire space, all the rest is a free-for-all that nevertheless somehow resulted in large scale player-ran empires.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Peanut President posted:

Could you be more sheltered?

Dude, you're the one who thinks it would be horrible to be within earshot of a playground and pool. And somehow thinks a mini-storage for a small development is going to be loud all the time.

There's a community pool right out my apartment's back window. It's perfectly fine.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I lived near a pool and the constant pool bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz noise drove me insane.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Down in the gutter.

What's up with the little guys, especially those bordering or completely surrounded by large alliances? Do they act as clients?

Eve always seemed cool, but I could never get into it. I felt the same way about EQ and UA. I played the poo poo out of some trade wars 2002 though. stayed up late to get my turns in as soon as the server started then new day.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Baka-nin posted:

How about this politically contentious map?

I wonder what kind of maps we'll use if we ever manage to spread around the Milky Way. A 2D-map doesn't sound very useful in real life.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Kennel posted:

I wonder what kind of maps we'll use if we ever manage to spread around the Milky Way. A 2D-map doesn't sound very useful in real life.

By then our brains will have WiFi and you don't need to "look" at maps anymore. :rolleye:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kennel posted:

Human perception will be 4D by then so we'll be able to look at 3D maps as if they were a flat surface.

Or humanity will die before colonizing the galaxy because of technical limitations.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Kennel posted:

Given that the exact shape of the earth is apparently still seriously disputed by people, I have no doubt a flat-galaxy society to fit the zeitgeist will emerge insisting on a 2d representation. For the rest of us not living the 2d lifestyle, I would imagine something along the lines of:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Guavanaut posted:

Or humanity will die before colonizing the galaxy because of technical limitations.

Galaxy... how about we colonize the moon or Mars first and see if we manage that before dying.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Doesn't look like there's much there.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kennel posted:

This galaxy is quite flat (spiral galaxies in general), especially further out from the core, so you could have a decent 2-d representation from top down.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

This galaxy is quite flat (spiral galaxies in general), especially further out from the core, so you could have a decent 2-d representation from top down.

Picture a sphere around our sun. The radius is 15 light years. The nearest start, Proxima Centauri, is just over 4 light years away. In this whole sphere, there are 45 stellar systems, many with multiple stars.

Our galaxy is, very roughly, 1000 light years thick.

So while yes our galaxy is very flat, our local neighborhood is not, and there are lots of stars in all directions, most of which probably have planets. A 2D map doesn't really work here.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's almost all empty space and everything's constantly moving, so maps in general won't be very useful.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i'll need maps

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Count Roland posted:

Our galaxy is, very roughly, 1000 light years thick.
I heard it bulges in the middle 16000 light years thick, but out by us it's just 3000 light years wide.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
I think the only map we'll need in the far future is some variation of that semiotics project to design future-proof labelling for nuclear waste sites, so whatever intelligence does visit our long-dead civilization will know not to dig up the parts that are still radioactive.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

never trust an elf posted:

There's a subway stop in Brooklyn of this name. Most conductors say Kah-žu-sko street, less frequently kah-zee-ah-sko street.

Named for https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadeusz_Kościuszko, an interesting figure in the American Revolution

My Cantonese-speaking, NYC-living father-in-law says that local Cantonese-language slang calls the Kosciuszko Bridge "the Japanese Bridge", as a tongue-in-cheek way of getting around the unfamiliar spelling and pronunciation. The joke is that the name might sound Japanese-ish.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Why would you represent a system with a 30 LY bubble anyway? That'd be like having a label for Los Angeles on a regular map extend for 750 miles. You can always zoom in on the area that's actually relevant to your needs. You could also represent 3D space by choosing a standard color to represent the center of the Z axis. Then have objects on the same plane but different points on the Z axis be blue or red shifted to denote depth "up" or "down."

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Guavanaut posted:

That's because you're looking at the wrong map.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Samuel Clemens posted:

That's because you're looking at the wrong map.

That's Phobos, not Mars!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Hm, good point. Let's build a colony on Phobos, then.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Guavanaut posted:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

New version of Alpha Centauri looking good

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

i'll need maps

lmao still using maps? We'll have Galactic Positioning System so we don't have to think.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
If anyone is interested in interstellar mapping, the Gaia mission very recently released its first catalogue with the position of a billion stars. Press briefing: http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Science/Gaia/Watch_Gaia_first_data_release_media_briefing

BBC article: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37355154

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

lmao still using maps? We'll have Galactic Positioning System so we don't have to think.

So according to Zorgle Maps Proxima Centauri is, uhh, lemmesee... somewhere near Forssa.