Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

does cmano have realtime

The realest time.

60 1 second turns a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

LordPants posted:

The realest time.

60 1 second turns a minute.

zeno is so angry with you right now

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So Baloogan I tried that fix you spoke of but still black boxes appear over unit status.

Also any documentation on how to actually play this game? My CAP for carrier ops is always uhh...anemic or lovely. And my planes fly where I don't want them to. How do I establish a simple BARCAP, TARCAP, or CAP for carrier groups essentially.

And what does "Weapon is On Magazines" mean

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
On magazines means that you can't shoot it because it isn't in the launcher. Presumably when you shoot what is in the launcher it can be put in there to reload.

I assume there is a tutorial somewhere that shows this but the simplest way to setup a CAP is to go the the missions/ref point drop down (I don't have the game in front of me, maybe it is called something else now), click define area and drag a box where you want the cap to be. With the points still selected you can go to the same pull down and create a new mission and it will understand you want it to be in that box. You want Patrol -> AAW and then you can select which fighters you want to be assigned to the mission, how many you want in the air at once, RoE, etc.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Dear Saros. I started a new job by day and grad school by night but I'm gonna do the turns someday I promise.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Goetta posted:

On magazines means that you can't shoot it because it isn't in the launcher. Presumably when you shoot what is in the launcher it can be put in there to reload.

I assume there is a tutorial somewhere that shows this but the simplest way to setup a CAP is to go the the missions/ref point drop down (I don't have the game in front of me, maybe it is called something else now), click define area and drag a box where you want the cap to be. With the points still selected you can go to the same pull down and create a new mission and it will understand you want it to be in that box. You want Patrol -> AAW and then you can select which fighters you want to be assigned to the mission, how many you want in the air at once, RoE, etc.

I've found it's better to set up reference points that are relative to the carrier and make a ring about 80-160nm out depending on era. Then make this an exclusion zone that flags poo poo as unfriendly (if civilians are in the AO) or hostile (if you don't give a gently caress) and then have a few planes assigned to an Air Intercept mission with no targets. That way if something looks to threaten your group they'll automatically take off and either try and visually ID it (if you've gone for the unfriendly option) or just murder it. At least in my experience in most missions you can't have a good enough BARCAP with just a squadron of fighters because either you have downtime (bad) or they're too thin and get overwhelmed (also bad). The intercept mission means you can devote less aircraft to carrier security and have more available for actually accomplishing objectives.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

So Baloogan I tried that fix you spoke of but still black boxes appear over unit status.

Also any documentation on how to actually play this game? My CAP for carrier ops is always uhh...anemic or lovely. And my planes fly where I don't want them to. How do I establish a simple BARCAP, TARCAP, or CAP for carrier groups essentially.

And what does "Weapon is On Magazines" mean

um crap, uh usually those black boxes are filled with cool lookin info
try installing the exes in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Command Modern Air Naval Operations\_CommonRedist directory or something I dunno...

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I finally dug into CMANO and I'm really enjoying it. Though I think I'm spending more time on Wikipedia figuring out what all of my units are than actually playing the game. poo poo happens fast. Really fast. I was amazed at how much more lethal my F14's were with anh AWACS in the air, we downed most of the Soviets before they even launched a single missile.

Baloogan, your Youtube tutorial was quite helpful.

There's a lot to learn yet, but it's not nearly as much of a pain. I need to figure out flight paths and such, my Intruders took some dumb turns and I have no idea how to set that poo poo. It was cool to see the AI make a few different bombing routes though.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Chump Farts posted:

Dear Saros. I started a new job by day and grad school by night but I'm gonna do the turns someday I promise.

I've been on holiday anyway so may not have noticed :shrug:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Baloogan I was looking at the WW2 units in the command database and I had a thought you probably could make a pretty penny from dumb wehraboos if you just added some speculative units for the IJN and nazi Germany to the command database. There's probably enough there to stretch things out till the fifties.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I've been playing the Command scenario "Old Grudges Never Die" and it feels like a total poo poo show. The first time through I was engaged by some Coalition Rafele fighters, but only one out of the flight. Then a bit later a US helicopter starts hunting my submarine. The next playthrough it felt even more random with seemingly everyone jumping on the bandwagon, but only half-assed. One jet here, another jet there, but never a concerted effort.

Is it supposed to play like that? I expected trouble from the Turks but so far they haven't even shot at me.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Chump Farts posted:

:colbert:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The new South China Sea CMANO scenario looks fun

code:
Liaoning Carrier Strike Group:

PLAN Liaoning [Liaoning CV]: 8 J-15 Multirole Fighters, 4 J-15S Multirole Fighters, 4 Z-F18FQ ASW, 4 Z-18YJ AEW
PLAN Changsha [Type 052D DDG]: 1 Z-9C ASW
PLAN Shenyang [Type 052C DDG]
PLAN Wuhan[Type 052B DDG]
PLAN Sanya [Type 054A FFG]: 1 Z-9C ASW
PLAN Hengshui [Type 054A FFG]: 1 Z-9C ASW
PLAN Chaohu [Type 093A AOE]
PLAN Jingmen [Type 056A FFG]
PLAN Suqian [Type 056A FFG]

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is that the one with basically the entire pacific front?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

If you want to get some more turns in I'm up for a game as Germans or Soviets.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Baloogan, when is the iranian rocket catamaran being added to command?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
You can take an existing unit and add weapons / etc to it. Much like General Ripper.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm sorry I didn't mean a catamaran that fires rockets.

I meant this thing:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

What the hell is that.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
:eyepop:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
:trumppop:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

the emoticon i never knew i needed until now

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Saros posted:

What the hell is that.

It looks like a rocket powered boat.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Oh and I'm down for another DC:b game, I'll try get it set up this weekend.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

uPen posted:

It looks like a rocket powered boat.

I think you mean it looks like a bridge over a canal that's making a break for freedom

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

I meant this thing:

Turbonique Ackbar!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Stairmaster posted:

I meant this thing:

:psyduck:

Do you have more info/source of this? I seriously need to know more.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

I meant this thing:

Why would you do this?

Is it to get the engines and screws out of the water so a sub didn't pick up the mechanical noise? I'd still think it'd resonate into the water through the hull. Not to mention the drag would be tremendous.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I think it's a Bird of Prey joke, the real catamaran unfortunately doesn't have rocket warp engines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KS3XW5zops

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Time to reactivate the Pegasus hydrofoil program. :v:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

As an aside if you remember my Advanced Tactics Gold LP we have all the players back after various summer vacations except we need a replacement for Das Reich and maybe one more. If you're interested shoot me a PM or post in the thread.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Is WitE good for like, small scenario play? I'm interested in getting my feet wet in a heavy duty grognard game but I'm definitely not prepared for the full campaign.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fuligin posted:

Is WitE good for like, small scenario play? I'm interested in getting my feet wet in a heavy duty grognard game but I'm definitely not prepared for the full campaign.

I guess? The expansions have tons of smaller scenarios. I'd recommend getting DC:Warsaw to Paris or Case Blue before I recommended WitE though.

John Tiller games are also good for small scenarios, try the Mius demo to see if it clicks with you: http://www.johntillersoftware.com/Demos.php

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
I'm reinstalling DC Warsaw to Paris again, if I remember correctly there was a graphics/map mod somewhere? I can't find it for the life of me.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fuligin posted:

WitE doesn't do small or simple, in my opinion. At least from a beginner's perspective.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Fuligin posted:

There's a few scenarios, the "Road to..." that are good to start with. Road to Mink is only a few turns long, Road to Leningrad is like a dozen. You can pretty much play and win without delving too deep (unless you want to). I like them for an hour or two's scenarios. I doubt I'll ever play the whole grand campaign.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
The best idea to learn War in the East is to play a PBEM game of the full campaign with me.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
DC is so good. They are all so good. They are also cool games to play alongside books to get a better feel for how the battles unfolded.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Beep boop here is a key for Advanced Tactics Gold: HMZ5A-R80RN-9BNHX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

DarthJeebus posted:

Beep boop here is a key for Advanced Tactics Gold: HMZ5A-R80RN-9BNHX

Someone got this.