Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Phyresis posted:

this was apparent around the time Invisible Woman hit the TC

HE LIVES!

9/15/16 6:08pm EST.

NEVER FORGET.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Whoa they're adding Invisible Woman to the game too?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Phyresis posted:

this was apparent around the time Invisible Woman hit the TC

rawr did the impossible

he brought phyresis home to us

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Sounds like a lot of work. Hopefully they pull it off well and keep heroes feeling different.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Rogue finally getting a stolen power bank too, no more reacquiring the same skills every time you want to respec her. That is a pretty big QoL update for her, in and of itself.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I love my dead gay gam-

wha... what is this

what are you doing rawr!

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

madcow posted:

Rogue finally getting a stolen power bank too, no more reacquiring the same skills every time you want to respec her. That is a pretty big QoL update for her, in and of itself.

Oh god, I'm getting excited over Marvel heroes 2015 again

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Asros posted:

Aside from Zigg, all items that have an "on use" mechanic that requires you to slot the item in your power bar is having that power moved either to an affix or as part of a proc.

Zigg is a sticky wicket, and we need more time to figure out what to do with it.

yeesh

they need to just get rid of zigg and give everyone a "stark-tech personal teleporter" power like the hearthstone that you can just bind to a key

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

take away zig give nothing in return that's my suggestion

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I guess we'll have to "take off every 'zig'" ha ha

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I have honestly taken a few zigs off characters after the travel power revamp just so I could get better stats in that slot.

Best answer that can't be used because of the spaghetti code the game runs on - just make Zig's effect a passive that replaces your travel power with a generic teleport.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Also I guess I have to repost this

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

neat!

Ajax posted:

my biggest hope is that hawkeye is still garbo tier

gently caress you hobbit

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I like how we aren't going to be able to swap challenge bonuses for free during this.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

okay i digested this a bit

a few great things genuinely come from this:

balance- 8 slots and reviewing all powers is actually the right way to do it. seriously. all aoe dots will get leveled out, all melee attacks will show similar numbers, all passives will be tuned similarly per hero "kit". I would be amazed if they didn't just set a number for "gtaoe with no upfront packet", "pbaoe with 8 sec cd", "ST melee hit with normal arc" etc and just call it a day. No more guessing and "tuning". Heroes will come out the gate very similar in power levels.

rip power points- gently caress 'em. clicking 20 times sucked

stark cubes- great idea but poo poo execution. :byewhore:

people come back- this is about as bold as you can get to say you're retuning it all so people will appear

d3 "lite" talents/specs- if they do this correctly you might actually be able to build your char a few separate ways. maybe.

bad things:

homogeny- balance is a double-edged sword. if they dumb this down too much literally every TTK will be the same. builds are also going to be even more generic since 8 skills pretty much removes all semblance of "choice". talents will most likely be a letdown where everyone maximizes for damage and calls it a day

gaz being gaz- no way this comes out correctly and is a hilarious trainwreck. probably a positive also

flash in the pan- everyone will come back, look at how every character is now pretty much identical, and then remember the actual problem was there's still no new goddamn content to play

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Ignoring melee/ranged differences and mobility, purely theoretically - If Doctor Strange uses 11 different power buttons, and Colossus uses 6, should Doctor Strange deal more damage?

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

They finally got the loving memo. Can't wait for his game to be playable for 1 month before Disney kills it

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

"homogeny- balance is a double-edged sword. if they dumb this down too much literally every TTK will be the same. builds are also going to be even more generic since 8 skills pretty much removes all semblance of "choice". talents will most likely be a letdown where everyone maximizes for damage and calls it a day"

this is why having so many powers was a mistake. two trees isn't enough of a fix but it's better imo

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Also please note that Doctor Strange does deal significantly more damage than Colossus.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Colossus doesn't deserve to deal damage.

Summoner Colossus better be viable after the changes gaz

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

At this point Gaz hasn't revealed enough information for us to judge how this overhaul will play out. Consolidating powers is good and cool and just gets rid of trap abilities that no one used anyway except for flavor reasons. Skill points are annoying to deal with if you are not a splerg and if you are then you can slap some end game items on to cap skills.

These changes so far seem good but I don't think it's going to effect how many viable builds a character has. Outside a very small number of exceptions, most characters only have one build anyway.

Of course, like Lux said, none of this will likely increase player retention if they can't 1) figure out a more efficient way of developing new content and 2) stop abandoning old content for months at a time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

While I think there's going to be a number of characters who will not change in essential build, it's going to significantly open up the old characters who currently only have 4-5 button builds by removing the opportunity cost of using more buttons and those newer characters who are currently restricted by the skill lockouts and shared cooldowns that I've been complaining about since they were implemented.

I actually think it's a really positive move forward, even if I wish they would also updated their power UI to not be dogshit ugly.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

My hope is this new system with fewer powers will make some more limited characters more viable picks for being playable in the future. Like Falcon or Angel. Hell, this bumps all team-ups from one third of a character to one half of a character.

Next year's character lineup will probably be a lot of team-ups graduating to full playables.

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

Differo Cathedra posted:

At this point Gaz hasn't revealed enough information for us to judge how this overhaul will play out.

counterpoint: the last two years

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I'm just really encouraged by the new art they've shown off. Loki's new spender + orb of death with variants built in and Torch's flame tornado are cool as hell. Not everyone will get that level of love, but they're willing to experiment a lot with new powers with the new specialization stuff

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lux Aeterna posted:

rip power points- gently caress 'em. clicking 20 times sucked

Well, yeah. Every power you had would always be 1 point or 20 points, with a single dump power for the spares.

I'm interested by these changes, in the main.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

well for sure torch and loki needed it more than most, so good on them

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
You guys are so optimistic, it's adorable. Remember this is gaz

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Rufio posted:

You guys are so optimistic, it's adorable. Remember this is gaz

I fully expect Gaz to assume that everyone had like a total of 35 ranks in a skill with gear and that will be a balance point so it will probably be a gigantic nerf for everyone. I'm also expecting a ton of things to have more randomized seeds than before and everyone is going to have to reroll/hunt down more items when these changes go live.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Wait, how often did people use Sweet Christmas, because as baller as this new ult is, I gotta know if it's a dps loss.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Wait, how often did people use Sweet Christmas, because as baller as this new ult is, I gotta know if it's a dps loss.

single packet damage ults were hot garbage if they didn't crit/brut

it's almost guaranteed to be a net buff but you will miss the huge pop

sw's ult is one of my fav in the game since it does a bunch of neat stuff:
high power dot ticks
huge pop that can be feast/famine
self-buffed damage for a bit
<6 seconds total

perfect ult

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I'm just excited to stomp the yard with lucas Cage. Also hoping to god that summons are loving optional this time around.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Can't wait to log in and reorganize each and every one of my characters specs all over again.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

madcow posted:

Kainser posted:

Oh god, I'm getting excited over Marvel heroes 2015 again
not an emptyquote

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

I am pretty sure they said at one point that most of the people that try the game don't even make to max level with one character, according to their metrics. So, I imagine this is aimed at trying to solve that problem to some degree, as are revamping the story chapters, etc.

Then once those things are in place, I am sure they will get around to pumping out content for all you crusty vets that got entranced by ICR's sweet melody called "COSMIC TODAY!".

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Man this is certainly an interesting development. It took almost two and a half years to individually redo every character and only six months after they finally finished they are ready to burn that all down for grand rework of everyone all at once. I hope they pull it off though and bring this game back to life. PoE is kind of fun but feels so much more grindy than MH, and I miss my super hero mans.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

madcow posted:

I am pretty sure they said at one point that most of the people that try the game don't even make to max level with one character, according to their metrics. So, I imagine this is aimed at trying to solve that problem to some degree, as are revamping the story chapters, etc.

Then once those things are in place, I am sure they will get around to pumping out content for all you crusty vets that got entranced by ICR's sweet melody called "COSMIC TODAY!".

I certainly hope not, because that's not a solvable problem. It's 2016, most people who play any game are going to spend like five minutes or less on it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

NotALizardman posted:

neat!

gently caress you hobbit

Looks like someone is still a racist bitch.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Nomadic Scholar posted:

A dude posted:

single packet damage ults were hot garbage if they didn't crit/brut

Sweet Christmas doesn't just do damage, it also makes you super swole for 20 seconds.

Still, Cage is sub-par. I'm sure a zillion people will start playing him when his Netflix series comes out on the 30th, maybe he'll get a boost then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

new iron man stume on the store

• Locked thread