Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many states will legalize Cannabis in the 2016 election?
5+
View Results

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Upstate New York is literally Vermont with angrier people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
MA is weird; most recent thing I could find is a 7-10 Sept WBUR poll of 506 voters coming our 50-45 for legal weed (MoE 4%) so looking like a real nail biter: http://www.wbur.org/politicker/2016/09/13/wbur-ballot-question-poll

CA and NV I'm pretty confident on, moderate on Maine. I'd given up on AZ, but an August pop of 700+ has 50-40 in favor so idk: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/09/07/poll-half-want-see-marijuana-legalized-arizona/89778892/

MO and MI missed their wickets this go-round? And VT and RI are still on the precipice of becoming the first states to legalize legislatively without the voters.

Honestly anything short of getting totally skunked (:rimshot:) I'd count as a 2016 victory, and all the more so if Hillary wins and makes at least vague motions to rescheduling. A clean sweep of five legal states isn't impossible, and at least a couple medical should win. Overall even incremental progress is a huge win; hell, anything short of ATF rapelling into Portland weed boutiques is a big-picture win even if zero progress is made from now until 2020.

Yet again, a reminder that even just five years ago SA had 100+ page threads insisting that not a single state would be able to legalize without getting stormed by the Feds anytime in our lifetime, yet here we are.

TapTheForwardAssist has issued a correction as of 03:49 on Sep 16, 2016

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Texas prosecutors are declining to pursue mickey mouse weed cases because they can't find friendly jurors:

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/are-big-texas-cities-going-easier-on-pot/nsQMP/

in case you were wondering if legalization was inevitable

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Yeah, saw that recently; basically Texas leaning towards de facto decrim for "respectable" people, presumably while still stomping the poor and/or minorities.

I did enjoy the line: "we expect law enforcement and prosecutors to use discretion and put the resources in the best place,” said state Rep. Bryan Hughes, R-Mineola."

It seems some of the folks are avoiding charges through diversion and all that. At what point do even drug diversion folks roll their eyes? Purely anecdotal, but in the military I knew a couple guys sent to AA for getting caught drunk underage or acting up, that had AA tell them "authorities say you have to attend X months, but honestly you're not an alcoholic you're just a dumbass."

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Some words from Nevada Democratic U.S. Senate hopeful Catherine Cortez Masto, emphasis mine:

quote:

Cortez Masto also came out against a ballot initiative to legalize recreational marijuana, which will appear on the November ballot here in Nevada, a subject she had previously remained mum about. The former attorney general said that she believes that recreational marijuana will happen at some point in the future in Nevada, however, she expressed concerns about the state barely having the necessary infrastructure in place to regulate medical marijuana, let alone recreational marijuana.

“There is no doubt in my mind that, at some point in time, recreational marijuana is going to happen here in Nevada. The train is on the track and it’s moving in that direction,” Cortez Masto said. “However, I do have concerns and don’t believe at this point in time that we should be moving in that direction. So I’m voting no.”

Cortez Masto added that decriminalizing marijuana at the federal level should be a priority in addition to providing resources to police departments to ensure that people aren’t driving under the influence of marijuana.

"Barely having the necessary infrastructure to regulate medical marijuana", maybe because lawmakers dragged their feet on that one for fifteen years. :rolleye:

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, it's been kinda funny to see the scramble in states where medical had been fumbled.

MA just made medical easier by allowing prices to be advertised, dispensaries to deliver to patients, and nurse practitioners to prescribe. All in hopes from the Baker administration that recreational will fail if they actually make it easier for sick people to get what they need.

But uh, recreational is coming either by vote or through Maine. Nice try, though.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

The LA Times just endorsed the big weed http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-proposition-64-20160918-snap-story.html

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Maine and Massachusetts are the real prize for 2016. Even if only one passes it still puts tremendous pressure on other states in the region.

If MA or ME legalize (preferably both) the rest can either follow suit or lose out on the gold rush since every state in New England is at most a couple hours drive from the others and all have decriminalized except New Hampshire who's governor is a piece of poo poo and is the only person standing in the way of progress.

California is gonna pass this year, its already de facto legal and the state desperately needs the tax revenue. Nevada would just be the cherry on top. Arizona would be a pleasant surprise but it's a long shot given the decrepit cesspool that is the voter base.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

The French Army! posted:

Maine and Massachusetts are the real prize for 2016. Even if only one passes it still puts tremendous pressure on other states in the region.

If MA or ME legalize (preferably both) the rest can either follow suit or lose out on the gold rush since every state in New England is at most a couple hours drive from the others and all have decriminalized except New Hampshire who's governor is a piece of poo poo and is the only person standing in the way of progress.

California is gonna pass this year, its already de facto legal and the state desperately needs the tax revenue. Nevada would just be the cherry on top. Arizona would be a pleasant surprise but it's a long shot given the decrepit cesspool that is the voter base.

Also worthy of note on NH is the fact that the gov is out this term, so their replacement will instantly be in hot water should ME or MA pass

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

The French Army! posted:

I think it's quite likely it goes 4/5 and passes everywhere except AZ. 5/5 is even possible, though an uphill battle.

So, if MA and ME pass it, RI and VT aren't far behind, presumably. What about Connecticut, though?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Tough to say, really. A year of rec cannabis in MA might change their views, but right now it doesn't look too likely

GonadTheBallbarian has issued a correction as of 14:57 on Sep 19, 2016

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
It's super fuckin cool that all those measures are looking good, northeast will be amazing. Like, we have insane tourism here in CO from weed (my wife works at a dispensary and a couple times a week the weed tour bus comes through with 30+ blazed tourists) and the surrounding states are hyper-jealous and i think the governor of Wyoming threatened to sue Colorado to make us "pay for the policing" or something? lol as if they don't turn a profit on a weed case.

Anyways, point being that there are tons of interstate jealousy issues and our weed is honestly 2-4 hours from a state border, if not a plane ticket and a couple days off. i can't imagine the northeast politics meltdowns when a couple states are making mad weed bucks from people on a 45 minute jaunt, it should be fun to watch.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

It's super fuckin cool that all those measures are looking good, northeast will be amazing. Like, we have insane tourism here in CO from weed (my wife works at a dispensary and a couple times a week the weed tour bus comes through with 30+ blazed tourists) and the surrounding states are hyper-jealous and i think the governor of Wyoming threatened to sue Colorado to make us "pay for the policing" or something? lol as if they don't turn a profit on a weed case.

Anyways, point being that there are tons of interstate jealousy issues and our weed is honestly 2-4 hours from a state border, if not a plane ticket and a couple days off. i can't imagine the northeast politics meltdowns when a couple states are making mad weed bucks from people on a 45 minute jaunt, it should be fun to watch.

I kinda want ME and MA to pass because the apoplectic fits that'd happen in NH would be hilarious to watch

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

MA split 50-45 in favor/oppose recreational :420:

(A simple majority is all that's needed, so a +5% spread)

4.4% MOE

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

shutup it's going to pass alright!!!

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

You're aware of how MoE actually works, right?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

it means the polling answer you like loses all those percentage points and the one you don't like gains them

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Karl Barks posted:

it means the polling answer you like loses all those percentage points and the one you don't like gains them

:lol:

yeah. just seems to be a monthly conversation in C-SPAM.

~probability densitiesss~

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

You're aware of how MoE actually works, right?

It means any given result can be +/- the MOE of that number

so with a 4% MOE, you'd have to have at least 8 points between them to be statistically significant

Daniel Hillard
May 22, 2012

But every number within that MoE is not equally likely. The farther you get from the statistic given the less likely it is to be that number.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Jonny 290 posted:

and i think the governor of Wyoming threatened to sue Colorado to make us "pay for the policing" or something? lol as if they don't turn a profit on a weed case.

Nebraska and Oklahoma tried suing CO directly, while WY declined to join the suit but was considering suing the Feds for not smacking CO down.

If MA and ME both go, VT and RI should go quick via legislature, and that'd be four out of the six states of New England.

Will CT be the last holdout, or is Stamford going to become the primary supplier for the whole greater NYC?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

the mass legislature is pooping their pants because the MA ballot question basically pre-wrote any bill and left nothing to the legislature. which is good because the MA legislature is really loving bad. the medicinal marijuana roll out has been a complete disaster.

so I'm hoping this will influence, RI, CT, VT, and NH, because as it's written it's better for individuals. the ohio bill, from what I recall, was basically written for the giant weed farm corporations.

edit: yeah here's an article about it: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-great-ohio-weed-war-20151023

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

computer parts posted:

so with a 4% MOE, you'd have to have at least 8 points between them to be statistically significant

Not quite. It's the maximum difference of potential outcomes within a set confidence interval, typically 90, 95, or 99%. Inside that margin, potential outcomes aren't spread equally, but along a probability density curve, with a falloff of varying slopes depending on how big/small the sample size is. Most of the time, it's a normal-looking bell-like curve, but over a long enough timeline that can change a bit as attitudes change. This is a good primer on it.

If the poll was conducted hundreds of other times, X% of those results would fall in that range for each answer. However, the distribution of possible results won't be even across that range. It's not accurate to say that a "no" vote is "just as likely" or the results aren't indicative of a "yes" vote being ahead, instead, it's that a "yes" vote has more probable winning outcomes than a "no" does according to that poll (as the two curves only overlap with a smallish area). The story would be different were the numbers farther apart or the sample size bigger, but given the aggregates of all the other polls, MA will be close, but the edge is to a "yes" vote winning a simple majority.

e. Actually, a good example of this playing out was overexuberant Bernie fans getting encouraged when he was pulling within MoE on a lot of polls. Despite him outkicking his coverage a bit, mere entry into that range didn't increase his odds of winning contests appreciably. The distribution of probabilities having him winning in those states played out just as statisticians would have expected them to.

GonadTheBallbarian has issued a correction as of 17:42 on Sep 19, 2016

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I just got the state voter guide for Massachusetts, and the No arguments for Question 4 are a real doozy.

Among their objections:
- legalizing marijuana (actually, their blurb uses "pot" here, which amuses me for some reason) will make the opioid epidemic worse
- people will be able to home grow, which they treat as self-evidently bad
- weed will be sold next to preschools
- and my favorite, that legalization of edibles will lead to "accidental overdose by kids and pets"

Lord Hydronium has issued a correction as of 23:15 on Sep 22, 2016

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah I got Real Mad reading that, but apparently the state doesn't provide the arguments, just the biggest organizations on either side.

Seems enormously hosed up, because they have no obligation to be truthful

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Yeah, it kind of amazes me that that's the best the no side could do. When we had it in the ballot in California in 2008, they at least had the decency to make their arguments about lack of regulation rather than pot-smoking toddlers.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

quote:

- and my favorite, that legalization of edibles will lead to "accidental overdose by kids and pets"

they fed some dogs a bunch of pot brownies to come to this conclusion

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

Yeah, it kind of amazes me that that's the best the no side could do. When we had it in the ballot in California in 2008, they at least had the decency to make their arguments about lack of regulation rather than pot-smoking toddlers.
Was it 2008 in Cali? I could have sworn it was 2010.

The problem facing the no side is now people know what regulation looks like and they see that its working in the states that have tried it. In the face of the evidence and the tide of rapidly changing public opinion all they have left is intellectual dishonesty and scare tactics.

Legalization advocates in New England need call these people out and publicly debunk their claim that legalization of marijuana will add to the heroin epidemic. The only reason pot could possibly be considered a gateway drug is because you have to buy it from drug dealers. Moving marijuana sales to a legal forum will prevent many people who may be at risk for substance abuse from ever being exposed to opiates at all outside a clinical setting.

And if their argument is that legally available intoxicants make people want to move on to other harder substances than alcohol is truly the ultimate gateway drug and it should be banned immediately.

When you put it in these terms any reasonable person will agree that there is no conceivable way that legal pot will add to the opiate epidemic and may even help fight it to some extent.

I should move to Maine and cast another yes vote.

fat bossy gerbil has issued a correction as of 04:59 on Sep 23, 2016

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

somebody did a survey of californians' opinions on four important propositions - funding for schools, extending a tax on rich people, jacking up the cigarette tax, and legalizing marijuana
http://capitolweekly.net/survey-support-tax-tobacco-school/
the 60-36 margin for the weed referendum is the largest yes margin of the three (47-43, 54-38, 59-36), and more voters rated the weed proposition as 'very important' than any of the other three - but unlike the other referenda, the no voters were the ones more likely to consider the ballot measure very important

quote:

Proposition 64. A majority of likely voters (60%) would vote yes on this measure to legalize marijuana use under state law by adults 21 and older and tax sales and cultivation (36% no). Most Democratic (65%) and independent (64%) likely voters support the proposition. Republicans are divided (46% yes, 52% no). Just over half of Latinos would vote yes, while support among whites and other racial/ethnic groups is slightly higher. Support is higher among those 18 to 34 years old (74%) than among older voters (59% 35–54, 54% 55 and older). Half of likely voters (50%) say the outcome on Proposition 64 is very important. Those who would vote yes are much less likely to say the outcome is very important than those who would vote no (46% to 59%).
looks like the angry-rear end creeps who wish california was kansas are gonna have another bad day! if trends hold, etc etc etc

i had seen a poll months ago where latinos were noticeably less likely to vote yes than whites, and this one claims 'just over half' for latinos and 'slightly higher' for other groups, but you'd think a 60% total margin would require more than 'slightly higher' numbers for non-latinos if they're barely over 50%. whatever

here's the full polling release, which includes presidential numbers (47-31 clinton), massive support for allowing undocumented immigrants to say (80-18; even trump voters go 52-45), a 34-64 negative response to building a wall along the entire border with mexico (trump supporters 82% in favor, clinton supporters 92% against), and other stuff, including a relatively close margin in the senate race, where harris who is overwhelmingly favored to win 'only' leads by 7. 32% harris, 25 sanchez, 19 undecided, and 24% volunteering that they wouldn't vote for either - presumably mostly republicans who are pissed that they don't get an R to vote for. this severely undercuts the idea that sanchez, the more conservative democrat, could win on the backs of republican voters

http://ppic.org/content/pubs/survey/S_916MBS.pdf

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
One thing about the Maine Question 1 is that there is no formal registered No On 1 campaign or whatever the appropriate term is. I don't know if there have been any polls since March, but I would be floored if it didn't pass.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

EX250 Type R posted:

One thing about the Maine Question 1 is that there is no formal registered No On 1 campaign or whatever the appropriate term is. I don't know if there have been any polls since March, but I would be floored if it didn't pass.

I'm sure Maine is getting all the "No legalization" ads from Mass, and our local talk radio extends at least into Southern Maine as well.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Pillowpants posted:

I'm sure Maine is getting all the "No legalization" ads from Mass, and our local talk radio extends at least into Southern Maine as well.

Fortunately, southern maine is all liberal hippies that legalized weed in Portland already so it should be falling on deaf ears

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

EX250 Type R posted:

Fortunately, southern maine is all liberal hippies that legalized weed in Portland already so it should be falling on deaf ears

True, but everywhere North of Portland is people who make Paul Lepage look liberal

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

lo loving l

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Pillowpants posted:

True, but everywhere North of Portland is people who make Paul Lepage look liberal

Nah, most of us in central and northern maine are live and let live, you would be surprised

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

EX250 Type R posted:

Nah, most of us in central and northern maine are live and let live, you would be surprised

I've got a bunch of extended family north of Bangor And that isn't the case when I go to visit.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Latest poll in ME is favorable

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/09/26/most-mainers-favor-legalizing-marijuana-poll-finds/

CA and NV are layups, ME is a yes, MA is a strong maybe, AZ unfortunately looks like a no.

Dmitri-9 has issued a correction as of 01:54 on Sep 27, 2016

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Lord Hydronium posted:

I just got the state voter guide for Massachusetts, and the No arguments for Question 4 are a real doozy.

Among their objections:
- people will be able to home grow, which they treat as self-evidently bad

Better: people can home grow without getting their neighbors permission, the horror!

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

WBZ-UMass poll has MA 53-40 (4.3%MoE) in favor of Question 4

Poll stats because why would you ever release the report in an easy place to find:

N=700 Likely voters

WBZ posted:

Support for the measure cuts across all demographic categories, with only voters over 55 years old and self-described conservatives opposing the measure.

Thirty-six percent of opponents of the measure cited harm to individuals and society as their main reason for voting no, while 30-percent of supporters insist it’s “not as dangerous as other drugs.”

The WBZ poll offered respondents a string of legalized-marijuana scenarios and asked if any would bother them.

About a quarter of them claimed people growing pot in their homes would be troubling; another 11-percent were concerned about people using in their own homes.

But those numbers soared when pot enters the public realm. Forty-one percent say they’d be bothered if a pot store opened up in their neighborhood. Fifty-two percent didn’t like the idea of pot ads on TV or radio. And 61-percent expressed alarm over the prospect of people using in public.

GonadTheBallbarian has issued a correction as of 16:07 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

4/5 states is the baseline now, imo

this is pretty incredible

• Locked thread