Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Slapped new pads and rotors on my Wee last night. EBC everything, HH pads front and back. The rear really needed it, the disc was under spec and the pads were actually pretty thin. On the front, one side was more heavily worn than the other - is that normal?

Front was easy, despite my lack of organization giving me headaches. Rear was mostly easy except the bushings kept falling off the loving wheel and gently caress you gently caress you you rotten piece of poo poo hold together. Again, both more time consuming than I had figured on. In my hurry to get back to my car and pick my wife up from work, I left a piece out! The little threaded plug that covers the head of one of the pin-bolts on the rear caliper. I think I'll live. Recovered it this morning. At least everything got torqued, and I loctited and marked the bolts on the brake disc.

I still need to bed the brakes in properly; I did a few braking runs from about 80 km/h down to 10, but I think I could do better. On the bright side, between the new brakes and the intiminators, the rear now locks up before the front under hard braking. Before, I'd sometimes wash the front first, and that's a disturbing loving feeling when you realize it's happened and you're still vertical.

Think I need to do a proper string alignment of the rear wheel; I always feel like I'm riding leaning a few degrees to the left, and even after getting everything back together it still did that. Of course, it might have be the 30-odd pounds of used brake disc and tool roll hanging off the right side of the bike...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Oh thanks for reminding me to order a pair of rear pads.

e: Last week I disconnected the interactive exhaust control valve and wired the muffler wide open. With the exhaust open. it sounds a little more thunderous at cruise and less like a bag of skeletons more like potato-potato at idle.

With the IEC active, the bike gets two torque peaks, one at like 3000 rpm and one at 6000. With it disconnected, the roll on isn't as "weeeeee" but I think I kind of like it better for digging out of corners, it's more linear and predicable. Fewer surprise roll on wheelies on my way up to Mount St. Helens last weekend... but I still get the 4500-7k pull and I cruise in the torque valley regardless.

I guess I am officially old and boring

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 14, 2016

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

You mean the bit that the float valve seat fits down into? Part of the actual carb body?

Carb joy indeed. They can be repaired (I think there are kits?). I've never broken one but they are more fragile than you'd think.

Gorson fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 14, 2016

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Gorson posted:

Carb joy indeed. They can be repaired (I think there are kits?). I've never broken one but they are more fragile than you'd think.

My eye just twitched at the thought of breaking that.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Took order of a low force torque wrench that isn't dogshit, checked all the oil pan bolts I'd had off, and finally got some new oil in there.

Cleaned the pipes as best I could, though they still smoked quite a bit; there's a glob of oil/tar caught right in the middle of where all four pipes merge that I'll have to fetch out with a toothbrush.

Everything seems ship shape but as the leak I had was a hot leak I won't know if I've fixed it or made it worse until I go for a serious run. Fingers crossed!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

My eye just twitched at the thought of breaking that.

Yeah it's a lovely thing to deal with. JBweld does not work. Maybe just long enough to sell the bike, but not for any decent amount of time.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
And my jbwelded exhaust didn't cope with the twisting motion of the crap mounting of the crap aftermarket can. Oh well, now I gave a good join to reinforce.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

A carb rebuild doesn't become a disaster until you break a float post. find out the PO broke an entire pilot screw tower thingy off the carb body then stuck it back on with epoxy

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ugh triggered.
That poo poo is the worst. Especially when you realize they managed to get epoxy in the air passages of the carb body. Which makes the carb pretty much trash.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Ugh triggered.
That poo poo is the worst. Especially when you realize they managed to get epoxy in the air passages of the carb body. Which makes the carb pretty much trash.

Metal pipe cleaners.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

You're convincing me that everyone in NZ is on some form of methamphetamine. At least, everyone who has prevously owned a motorcycle.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
How about cleaning stop leak out of a carb?

That was fun.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

nitrogen posted:

How about cleaning stop leak out of a carb?

That was fun.

Jesus loving Christ. I've seen RTV used on float bowls to try to seal them up. Then the RTV fails and mixes with the fuel and SHOOOOOOOP up into the jets and passages it goes, clogging them. The only way to seal a float bowl is with a good gasket and clean mating surface.

mating surface :heysexy:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ozmiander posted:

Metal pipe cleaners.

That works for places that you can stick metal pipe cleaners. However... not so well when that epoxy works its way deep inside some GL1000 or CB900 carbs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

You're convincing me that everyone in NZ is on some form of methamphetamine. At least, everyone who has prevously owned a motorcycle.

The overlap between 'works on own motorcycle' and 'smokes meth' is extremely, ridiculously high here and I'm one of the few exceptions. Either you can afford to pay some grubby oval office to do the job for you, or you got the bike as a trade for a bag.

My crack-house neighbours have acquired a sportster and the current run pattern is:

1. Start the bike
2. Give it a good fuckoff revving
3a. Let it idle for ten minutes
-or-
3b. Wobble slowly down the street and back, then let it idle for ten minutes
4. Give it another massive rev and switch it off

This happens irrespective of the time of day or weather conditions and after three weeks, the bike has developed a substantial misfire and I'm loving praying nobody wanders over here asking me to have a look.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Put a new battery in it, got a warranty return on the previous. Bike was still slow as gently caress to start, had to bump start it. Started fine, but made rod noises. :ohdear: Went away when it warmed up, will see what it sounds like tomorrow morning. In the mean time I've casually browsed some financing options for a Zero SR.

Ola fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 15, 2016

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Motherfucker, all I want to do is top up my oil but this stupid cap won't budge.

It would probably be a whole lot simpler if it wasn't a lovely recessed type, normally my biggest flathead would twist it free but even using that with a wrench on it as well, and then a penny in some grips would just pop back out and shave a teensy bit of metal off.

Are these things universal or specific sizes? Give me a hex bolt style any day.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Super Slash posted:

Motherfucker, all I want to do is top up my oil but this stupid cap won't budge.

It would probably be a whole lot simpler if it wasn't a lovely recessed type, normally my biggest flathead would twist it free but even using that with a wrench on it as well, and then a penny in some grips would just pop back out and shave a teensy bit of metal off.

Are these things universal or specific sizes? Give me a hex bolt style any day.

I solved this by grinding an old wood chisel into a semi-round shape.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

My crack-house neighbours have acquired a sportster and the current run pattern is:

1. Start the bike
2. Give it a good fuckoff revving
3a. Let it idle for ten minutes
-or-
3b. Wobble slowly down the street and back, then let it idle for ten minutes
4. Give it another massive rev and switch it off

1. Think about going somewhere
2. Get the bike well warmed up. Wouldn't want to stall halfway!
3. Slowly remember they live on New Zealand, and there is in fact nowhere to go
4. gently caress everything, let's go back inside and get wrecked *promptly forgets the previous steps happened*

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I finally got the rear shock preload lock ring off my DR350. I learned that it's not a job for gentle tools. It's a job for hammers and chisels and swearing.

I also found the right side cover has a snapped plastic peg and loving hell old dual sport plastics are expensive. I might try some glue. And wire. Frankenbike in the making.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ola posted:

Put a new battery in it, got a warranty return on the previous. Bike was still slow as gently caress to start, had to bump start it. Started fine, but made rod noises. :ohdear: Went away when it warmed up, will see what it sounds like tomorrow morning. In the mean time I've casually browsed some financing options for a Zero SR.

And now my bike is loving stolen wtf.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ola posted:

What? No! That was one of my favorites.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

What was it? And that fuckin sucks.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Schroeder91 posted:

What was it? And that fuckin sucks.

1986 Suzuki GSX 750 ES. So the robber won't exactly be the organization's biggest earner this week with that grab alone. Thankfully I changed my insurance earlier this year, so have full coverage.

e: and two days ago someone stole my gf's bicycle. Someone's trying to immobilize us. :tinfoil:

Ola fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 16, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Time to pick up that SR :getin: :madmax:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ola posted:

Goddammit all this hurts. Your one was loving special.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks for the sympathies. It was like the dear old family golden retriever. :( Off to the police now.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Put some new tars on the ktm 350 exc. I can't wait to wear the nubs off tomorrow!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ola posted:

At least with the insurance payout you'll have a base for financing that Zero.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

At least a base of that base. :haw:

I'm a student for the next five years so buying a low volume, high tech vehicle at twice the price of five years worth of bus passes isn't the best of economic decisions, but on the other hand :wom: ZOOOM :wom: :awesomelon:

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Ola posted:

At least a base of that base. :haw:

I'm a student for the next five years so buying a low volume, high tech vehicle at twice the price of five years worth of bus passes isn't the best of economic decisions, but on the other hand :wom: ZOOOM :wom: :awesomelon:

Its better for the environment!!!!!

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Ola posted:

Jævla pikkhue tyv!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Renaissance Robot posted:

Everything seems ship shape but as the leak I had was a hot leak I won't know if I've fixed it or made it worse until I go for a serious run. Fingers crossed!

Trip report: it doesn't leak anymore :toot:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

makka-setan posted:

Jævla pikkhue tyv!

Tusen takk :skriker:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Big ups to full coverage!

Slavvy posted:

Goddammit all this hurts. Your one was loving special.

You can say that again.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ola posted:

What??? Noooo! Your bike was awesome!!

Ugh, my goondolences, you'll always be Suzuki fam no matter what you buy next :glomp:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Note: Meguirs Tech 2.0 NXT wax is loving legit. mirror sheen off that candy paint

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

NXT is good stuff. Looks great.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

New rear pads. I somehow ran them down to metal again. At least this time the rotor is relatively OK. I'm not sure they changed the rear pads when I got my engine replaced, even though I gave them new pads and a rotor, which they did replace. If they did, then they didn't even last 3k miles. Is this normal for organic pads when you use only the rear brakes 95% of the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sounds like your lever is adjusted improperly and dragging the rear brake all the time, or you have a jammed up caliper or something.

Or you ride around with your heels on the pegs like UTTER FILTH and are unwittingly dragging the rear brake slightly.