Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
This is going to be like that chipotle thing where we have random reports of people getting sick/phones blowing up for the next 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

Is it worth shelling out $500 for the Galaxy S7? Should I just get an S5?

edit: wow i didn't realize how badass the s5 actually is.

illestG fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 15, 2016

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

CLAM DOWN posted:

How on earth is that remotely enforceable? Are people inspecting every transit user's phones when they enter the system? Even in a much smaller city like Vancouver where I live that would be impossible.

e: Oh it's not a ban, it's "urging" people to not use or charge them on the transit system https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/14/mta-urges-against-galaxy-note-7-use/ exactly the same as airlines are already doing

this whole shitshow is bad enough without you exaggerating.

Try talking for two seconds on an NJT quiet car. You'll get some khaki wearing polo shirts middle aged white guy to yell at you before you finish one sentence. Once a packed train with no room a poor lady with a kid got stuck standing in the isle on a quiet car and the kid started fussing. After no less that five seconds some guy started yelling at her to get the kid off the quiet car. I was standing between her and the guy, who was sitting down, and asked him to please calm down and leave her alone, the train was packed, and she was doing the best she could, there was no where for her to go. The guy got a little irate and yelled at her more, ignoring me, so I got in the guys face and told him to leave her alone or I'd shut him up. He looked at me, and I said, "you piece of garbage I hope that awful kid didn't ruin your commute" He kept his fat gob shut for the rest of the ride.

That dude for sure is just hoping he gets to yell at some Note 7 haver. It's all he has in life.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Try talking for two seconds on an NJT quiet car. You'll get some khaki wearing polo shirts middle aged white guy to yell at you before you finish one sentence. Once a packed train with no room a poor lady with a kid got stuck standing in the isle on a quiet car and the kid started fussing. After no less that five seconds some guy started yelling at her to get the kid off the quiet car. I was standing between her and the guy, who was sitting down, and asked him to please calm down and leave her alone, the train was packed, and she was doing the best she could, there was no where for her to go. The guy got a little irate and yelled at her more, ignoring me, so I got in the guys face and told him to leave her alone or I'd shut him up. He looked at me, and I said, "you piece of garbage I hope that awful kid didn't ruin your commute" He kept his fat gob shut for the rest of the ride.

That dude for sure is just hoping he gets to yell at some Note 7 haver. It's all he has in life.

You're a good person.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thermopyle posted:

You're a good person.

This.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

And everyone would have clapped if it wasn't the quiet car.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
And that quiet car's name was Albert Einstein.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

At 30 years old, for the first time in my life, I've dropped a phone and broke it.

RIP 2015 Moto X. Even with your terrible lack of updates, you were probably the best phone I could have asked for. :smith:

Is there going to be a fire sale on Nexus 6p's when the new ones come out? I still want one of those.

Edit: I dug my 2014 Moto X out in the meantime and the thing is still a solid phone. Camera sucks, but it's decently responsive. I missed the AMOLED blacks.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 15, 2016

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

GutBomb posted:

And that quiet car's name was Albert Einstein.

I love that every story post on SA ultimately ends with this.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Jerk McJerkface posted:

that dude for sure is just hoping he gets to yell at some Note 7 haver. It's all he has in life.

every Note 7 owner deserves it

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
My wife is going on a trip involving a beach and no security, so I bought her the $60 BLU R1 HD as a burner/beach phone instead of her S7.

It's actually a decent phone. Unencrypted, it's really quick, smooth, and has a very bright screen. Battery life seems acceptable, the skin is very light and unobtrusive, and the ads on the lock screen are too. Amazing what you can get cheap these days.

The single rear speaker is kind of a shame, but that's the first issue I found.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Have you lived in Chicago and is this you? https://youtu.be/tzq8bfOgihA

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

withoutclass posted:

Have you lived in Chicago and is this you? https://youtu.be/tzq8bfOgihA

Close, but instead imagine a full train with people standing, and a small Spanish lady holding a four year old while the guy in that video yells at her.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010

sharkytm posted:

My wife is going on a trip involving a beach and no security, so I bought her the $60 BLU R1 HD as a burner/beach phone instead of her S7.

It's actually a decent phone. Unencrypted, it's really quick, smooth, and has a very bright screen. Battery life seems acceptable, the skin is very light and unobtrusive, and the ads on the lock screen are too. Amazing what you can get cheap these days.

The single rear speaker is kind of a shame, but that's the first issue I found.

The BLU R1 HD doesn't look like it's available in the UK, so has anybody got any recommendations for cheap smart phone that is?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Roid666 posted:

The BLU R1 HD doesn't look like it's available in the UK, so has anybody got any recommendations for cheap smart phone that is?

Moto G or E?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Roid666 posted:

Depends what you count as cheap. Nexus 5X 16GB is £200 from Argos. It was £180 recently but that offer has expired.

Edit: WileyFox Swift is supposed to be decent, on Amazon for £115. They also have some new phones this year though the cheaper Spark got generally bad reviews and the other models don't seem to exist yet.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 15, 2016

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Another case of, "But why though?"

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Thank you for bringing this inspiring tale of everyday heroism to the Android thread :bravo:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I love that every story post on SA ultimately ends with this.

You just don't understand SA story thread developments.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

go3 posted:

every Note 7 owner deserves it

Like every non-samsung owner deserves the terrible phone they have, right?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Centzon Totochtin posted:

This happened to me too and I was thoroughly hoodwinked!!! Still on Marshmallow, haven't gotten another OTA prompt.

I've still not had another notification, it's been over 24h and manually checking for updates appears to yield nothing.

How is when updates are rolled out determined? Is it by carrier, device model? I have a few friends with this same handset, albeit not on the same network and I believe they've not had the update yet.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Anjow posted:

How is when updates are rolled out determined?

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

So I have a Note 7 on ATT, and they'll replace it with any phone they have.

Is there anything on that carrier that doesn't suck that would actually be a decent replacement?

I looked today, and found my choices of cutting edge flagship phones are either: iphone (lol), a different model of S7 or the LG G5/V10. And then there's well, the Blackberry Priv and a Lumia 950 (which I love me some Windows Phone, but Ingress and Pokemon Go sort of keep me locked in)

That's literally it, not really enthusiastic about any of it.

I'm honestly considering rolling the dice on just letting it possibly blow up. vOv

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

TheShazbot posted:

Is there anything on that carrier that doesn't suck that would actually be a decent replacement?

I looked today, and found my choices of cutting edge flagship phones are either: iphone (lol), a different model of S7 or the LG G5/V10. And then there's well, the Blackberry Priv and a Lumia 950 (which I love me some Windows Phone, but Ingress and Pokemon Go sort of keep me locked in)

I'm honestly considering rolling the dice on just letting it possibly blow up. vOv

You can pick up a Moto E for like $40 to use until the replacement Notes arrive.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TheShazbot posted:

Just get a loaner until the Note 7 replacements arrive, it'll be like another week max.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Get the iphone

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
What's wrong with the S7? It's basically a smaller, non-bomb version of the note7, right?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Psycho Society posted:

What's wrong with the S7? It's basically a smaller, non-bomb version of the note7, right?

Way too small for my giant hands, I tried it for a month or so when it came out.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Way too small for my giant hands, I tried it for a month or so when it came out.

Same. I got an S7 Edge as a loaner and I feel like I'm going to crush the drat thing.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Anything above 5.2" is retarded. So nice to have the S7 now after 5 or 6 months with that god awful Moto X Play. And I have Shaq hands.

There's just one thing though...I'm on my...4th phone since I got my Civic? and this is the first one that dont show track info in the dash, it all plays, just no title for anything. Read something about the bluetooth drivers they are using now? Haven't seen anything concrete yet on how to get around this...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

Anything above 5.2" is retarded.

It's a matter of personal preference, you know.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

codo27 posted:

Anything above 5.2" is retarded. So nice to have the S7 now after 5 or 6 months with that god awful Moto X Play. And I have Shaq hands.

There's just one thing though...I'm on my...4th phone since I got my Civic? and this is the first one that dont show track info in the dash, it all plays, just no title for anything. Read something about the bluetooth drivers they are using now? Haven't seen anything concrete yet on how to get around this...

On my Mazda 6 GT it shows track info and time for music and Youtube. Unless something has changed I don't see why it wouldn't work on your Civic if it worked with other phones.

E: On a Note 4 that is.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Apparently the Note 7 recall is official with the feds now

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

edit: Never mind. Didn't realize there's a phone suggestions thread.

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 16, 2016

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

Apparently the Note 7 recall is official with the feds now

Yet Samsung is still calling it "voluntary".

Hm, ok.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hotsauce posted:

Yet Samsung is still calling it "voluntary".

Hm, ok.

I think that means they voluntarily recalled it instead of being forced to by the gubmint.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

codo27 posted:

Anything above 5.2" is retarded.

Sorry about your tiny bitch hands.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

My day with a nexus 5 means I really want a phone that size again :sigh:

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So I'm looking for a really good screen protector once I can repurchase my IED of a phone the Note 7. I got the zagg protector with an otterbox case and the case immediately peeled off the protector. I also would totally check out cases but really the otterbox seemed fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Hahaha in an airport and just heard them ask everyone with a note 7 to turn it off.

Like, I knew it was happening, but hearing it first hand is so much funnier.

People planning to get replacements: why? Is your thought process "they'll get it right next time"? It's been like a million next times. They don't make good phones.