Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
I'll draw up a thread to ask the question, gently caress it, it's the offseason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Volkerball posted:

worst is the raiders, second worst is the chargers. both of those stadiums are trashcans

They aged into it at least; much like a pair of actual Levi's, we paid extra for a Levi Stadium that looks pre-worn and distressed.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Levis is a poo poo football stadium but it's far from worn. It looks shiny and unsullied and perfect for concerts and corporate events, which was Jeds plan.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
That wouldn't work with my terrible denim metaphor.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

There's a joke in there somewhere about unfilled seats but I can't seem to find it.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Chichevache posted:

That wouldn't work with my terrible denim metaphor.

Like a whore's jeans, lightly worn to make money.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Much like garment factories, it is only profitable when it involves suffering children.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there any way of getting face value tickets now that ticketmaster are essentially saying pretty much everything for the Eagles at home is sold out? I was so excited to go see them for the first time this year and have been checking every few days for news about ticket releases... and then it happened this morning with 1 days noticed. Am absolutely gutted :( There's a few available still, which I'm expecting are the worst seats in the house, but my girlfriend is at work so I can't confirm with her as to what game and I'm sure they'll be gone soon.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
So this is my 2nd season watching the NFL and my first pre-season. How much of the starters will I see in these pre-season games, if any? For example (I'm a Giants fan) will they start with Eli and the rest of the eventual starters playing the first quarter then sub out everybody for the rookies and camp bodies or will it just be rookies and camp bodies start to finish?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It depends on the coach but typically: you'll see them but not much. Often they'll skip the last preseason game completely so coaches have more tape to make final cuts and for the usual injury reasons (Coughlin used to play them a little, not sure what McAdoo will do). Generally if you see the starters a lot it's because they look like poo poo, and coaches will pull them if they look okay.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

El Seano posted:

So this is my 2nd season watching the NFL and my first pre-season. How much of the starters will I see in these pre-season games, if any? For example (I'm a Giants fan) will they start with Eli and the rest of the eventual starters playing the first quarter then sub out everybody for the rookies and camp bodies or will it just be rookies and camp bodies start to finish?

Rule of thumb:

1st preseason game: Starters will usually get either a series or won't play at all, especially superstars that the coaches don't want getting hit (LaDainian Tomlinson didn't play in the preseason at all for like 7 years)
2nd preseason game: Starters will usually get a few series, into the second quarter.
3rd preseason game: Dress rehearsal for the regular season. Starters mostly play the first half, some even into the 3rd quarter
4th preseason game: Most starters won't play at all, last chance for fringe guys to show what they can do

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

what does a winning season feel like

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ostentatious posted:

what does a winning season feel like

I'll tell you in January. :getin:

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
Can someone explain (maybe with video examples?) why clock management and proper time out usage can effect a game? I don't FULLY get why its so important.

Like in the panthers game they used their last time out with a minute to go and the commentators where acting like it was the worst thing to happen.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

fronkpies posted:

Can someone explain (maybe with video examples?) why clock management and proper time out usage can effect a game? I don't FULLY get why its so important.

Like in the panthers game they used their last time out with a minute to go and the commentators where acting like it was the worst thing to happen.

Because the clock doesn't stop after a completed catch. Timeouts can help you get the right play in, stop the clock from running out after a long pass (see Cowboys yesterday) or get your field goal team out onto the field

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I definitely made the right choice deciding on Falcons as my team. It was just like watching West Ham. Really enjoyed watching my first full game in probably 25 years, despite the piss poor result.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

fronkpies posted:

The game is over when the clock runs out. In a close game, it is important to not let the clock run out while you are behind. You only have three chances per half to stop the clock on defense, or to stop it without giving up a down on offense. So say it's late in a tied game and your opponent has the ball within field goal range, and they're just letting the clock tick down so they can score at the very last second. If you have timeouts, you might be able to force them to go for the kick with time still on the clock, so you've got a chance to get the ball back and score before the game ends. If you already used up your timeouts on dumb stuff earlier, you have lost the game.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

fronkpies posted:

Check out the end of the Cowboys-Giants game yesterday. Terrance Williams hosed up and didn't get out of bounds. They had no more timeouts to stop the clock to get another play in and it cost them the game.

Basically what it comes down to two things. One is in close games you want your team to score with as little time possible on the clock to prevent the other team from scoring. Timeouts allow you to better control how close to 0:00 your team gets. The second is when it's getting close and you're down two scores you want to minimize the amount of time you take off the clock, so that's why clock stoppages become the name of the game. If you burn timeouts you need to get your rear end to the sideline and the defense knows this.

In short, it options up a lot more strategic options for you.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

If you have no timeouts and you're behind and time is running out, the other team will heavily guard the sidelines because they know you're pretty hosed timewise unless you can get out of bounds. You'll often see the defensive team give up easy yards down the middle of the field because running out the clock is an easy way to win the game when you're ahead.

The offensive team does have the option of spiking the ball to stop the clock but you lose a down and a couple of yards. This is usually done when the offensive team reaches a comfortable field goal range or right after making a big gain because you've got the first down and it burns up a lot of time for everyone to get down field and line up

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 12, 2016

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

I had a question about this in the Gifs thread.

http://gfycat.com/ResponsibleHarshArmyant

Would this be illegal if a touchdown hadn't already been scored before it happened?

Basically, RB does a leap into the endzone, gets hit by an opponent, crosses the plane in midair, then his teammate catches him and flips him around so he lands on his feet. If he hadn't been carried by his teammate, he would have fallen on his back.

I can't imagine that this would be legal outside the endzone, just for the fact that the ball carrier could just keep running since he was never down.

Also, can a teammate yank the ball carrier up by his jersey or arm if he's about to fall? I can't seem to find any rule about this.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FIRST TIME posted:

Also, can a teammate yank the ball carrier up by his jersey or arm if he's about to fall? I can't seem to find any rule about this.

I can't imagine it would be legal. That's the whole sort of thing they got rid of back in the people keep dying and Teddy Roosevelt is pissed days. Yanking a guy on your own team around so he doesn't go down seems very "mass play."

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sash! posted:

I can't imagine it would be legal. That's the whole sort of thing they got rid of back in the people keep dying and Teddy Roosevelt is pissed days. Yanking a guy on your own team around so he doesn't go down seems very "mass play."

Yeah, they've loosened up the assisting the runner rule a little bit by allowing teammates to push from behind (the "Bush Push" ruling), but otherwise the runner is on his own - precisely for the reasons you specify. Runners would be pushed, pulled, carried, even thrown over the line prior to 1910, resulting in horrific injuries.

It's "legal" in the end zone only because the play is over and the ball is dead once it crosses the goal line, and thus the assistance is rendered after the play.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Volkerball posted:

worst is the raiders, second worst is the chargers. both of those stadiums are trashcans

I think TFF previously theorized that making a stadium dual-purpose somehow makes the aging of the stadium readily more apparent. Qualcomm, Candlestick and the Coliseum all hosted baseball teams at one point or another and they all aged terribly.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, they've loosened up the assisting the runner rule a little bit by allowing teammates to push from behind (the "Bush Push" ruling), but otherwise the runner is on his own - precisely for the reasons you specify. Runners would be pushed, pulled, carried, even thrown over the line prior to 1910, resulting in horrific injuries.

It's "legal" in the end zone only because the play is over and the ball is dead once it crosses the goal line, and thus the assistance is rendered after the play.

In the situation where a player has a clear shot to the end zone and a teammate is trailing him, was it ever an assisting foul for the teammate to pat the runner on the back while yelling "GO GO GO! YOU GOT IT!"? Just wondering how strictly the assisting rule was/is enforced.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

SkunkDuster posted:

In the situation where a player has a clear shot to the end zone and a teammate is trailing him, was it ever an assisting foul for the teammate to pat the runner on the back while yelling "GO GO GO! YOU GOT IT!"? Just wondering how strictly the assisting rule was/is enforced.

Only legal if it's the handicapped child they're letting run one in at the end of the movie.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

LEGO Genetics posted:

I think TFF previously theorized that making a stadium dual-purpose somehow makes the aging of the stadium readily more apparent. Qualcomm, Candlestick and the Coliseum all hosted baseball teams at one point or another and they all aged terribly.

Veterans Stadium (PHI), Three Rivers (PIT), Riverfront (CIN), Municipal Stadium (CLE), Oakland Coliseum (OAK), Jack Murphy Stadium (SD) and old Busch Stadium (STL) were all dual-purpose and they were all poo poo-piles from the very start. They were miserable experiences for ticket-holders of either sport. Once the baseball park renaissance kicked in after the early 90's success of Camden Yards in Baltimore and everyone went for retro baseball-only ballparks, it was only a matter of time until the football teams wanted their own awesome sport-specific stadiums.

The big joke is that a baseball park has a guaranteed 81 dates of revenue plus whatever concerts/events they can draw while the football stadium only has ten, two of which are glorified scrimmages that nobody wants to go to but season-ticket holders are forced to buy.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Which is exactly what the Niners realized so Levi's is built for corpo events and Tay Tay concerts and occasionally some football happens there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Spoeank posted:

Which is exactly what the Niners realized so Levi's is built for corpo events and Tay Tay concerts and occasionally some football happens there.

God knows the field wasn't built for people playing football on.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
WrestleMania (YouTubePlayButton) was pretty okay.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

skaboomizzy posted:

Veterans Stadium (PHI), Three Rivers (PIT), Riverfront (CIN), Municipal Stadium (CLE), Oakland Coliseum (OAK), Jack Murphy Stadium (SD) and old Busch Stadium (STL) were all dual-purpose and they were all poo poo-piles from the very start. They were miserable experiences for ticket-holders of either sport. Once the baseball park renaissance kicked in after the early 90's success of Camden Yards in Baltimore and everyone went for retro baseball-only ballparks, it was only a matter of time until the football teams wanted their own awesome sport-specific stadiums.

The big joke is that a baseball park has a guaranteed 81 dates of revenue plus whatever concerts/events they can draw while the football stadium only has ten, two of which are glorified scrimmages that nobody wants to go to but season-ticket holders are forced to buy.

You can add the Astrodome and Metrodome to this list, probably along with a bunch of others. Basically in the 60s it was super popular to build one stadium for both baseball and football. The only single purpose/sport stadiums built in that time that I can think of off the top of my head were Arrowhead and Kauffman (formerly Royals stadium). And after some renovations those are both going still going strong today.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Spoeank posted:

Yeah, I heard they played a Super Bowl there once.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Qualcomm is a dump and Petco Park is beautiful

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ross Angeles posted:

Qualcomm is a dump and Petco Park is beautiful

I refuse to believe there's a stadium called Petco Park. Qualcomm might be a dump, but at least if you squint at the name you can pretend it's a French officer who fought in the Revolution or something.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The coliseum owned for a long time actually.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

skaboomizzy posted:

UM Busch Stadium II owned

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Skwirl posted:

God knows the field wasn't built for people playing football on.

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, I heard they played a Super Bowl there once.

First and last time more than 10 NFL games will be played on that field in one season for a loooooooong time

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Baseball parks are beautiful

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Kingdome was a loving shithole and the day it got demolished is still the happiest day of my life

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Metapod posted:

Baseball parks are beautiful

AT&T Park :swoon: :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Spoeank posted:

AT&T Park :swoon: :swoon:

It's all fine and dandy until you find yourself in the alternate dimension that is the Triple Alley in the right field.

• Locked thread